-
AuthorContent
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 6, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9071594

My computer will not let me post a pic. It times out after a while, after I have choosen it and then try to post it.
Hope I have made my self clear? Probably as clear as mud?
Melody helped me another time when it done it also.

Where do I look to correct this?
I should say I am pretty dumb when it comes to computers, but my son can help me, if and when I can get him down to visit.

Maxine

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9071646

Max,

I would think if you are timing out, it's not something you are doing.
It's either a slow internet connection or an issue with DG.

You have been able to post before, right??

you go thru the steps of..
"browse" for an image,
once you find it on your hard drive, and double click on it,
the Send or Preview.

**shoot, now i can't get that image out of there. Guess there is no "cancel" for that.

I'd think if you are doing everything correctly, i'd post in the Daves Garden forum and tell them your issue, because it may be on their end.

are you high speed or dial-up?
and when did this issue begin?

Terese

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 6, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9071691

About the time they changed over to posting 5 pics. I do all that you stated above, but still times out. Very annoying.

Thanks Therese

Maxine
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9071708

The size of the pic file makes a huge difference in posting speed. My pics are 3 meg but are reduced to less than 1 meg if the saturation is reduced. Thumbnails can be 200K or less.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9071764

I've had it lock up on my when the file size of the pics is too large. Even though the site downsizes pics a bit automatically when you upload, having a file size that's too large to begin with can cause it to get hung up. And if you're trying to upload more than 1 pic at once the problem probably becomes even worse. I'd try either just posting one at a time, or downsize your pics a bit before you try to upload (or do both)
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 6, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9071840

My pics. are in a JPG file and have always loaded until the last month, or when ever they said you could post 5 pics.
been there, done that. Don't where to go now.

Maxine
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9071852

The hanging up with larger file sizes can come & go--maybe it depends on how much traffic is on the site at the time. Just to test things out, I'd try taking a picture and downsizing it a lot and try posting just that one. If that still doesn't work then there's maybe some problem on your end, but if that works then it probably is just that you've tried to post large pics at times when lots of other people are doing the same thing so things get hung up.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9071907

DG has been messed up for a long time. Either their membership has outgrown their server system or their dedicated server system has been neglected. What once was a single click access has become a double and sometimes a triple click seemingly at random times. Exiting a post or forum can take several seconds. I am not a paying member anymore so I can't complain.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 6, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9072237

I guess I will try it some morning when I am up at 4:30am and can't sleep.

Sure home I can post this picture.

Maxine
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9090851

I also can't post pictures since the change to five pics either and I have to double click on everything and it is so slow to send when I used to post pictures. I'm getting disgusted too. Melody acted like she had never heard of the problem before. Nothing has changed on my computer.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9090889

On a DSL with 512k upload speed rating. Required about 2.5 minutes for completion. File size approximately 3 meg.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2012 7:58 PM

This message was edited Apr 20, 2012 7:59 PM

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9091281

Lots of time the up load speed is a lot lower than the default number. Mine always says 448k and network speeds are never that consistent. I didn't have any problem uploading 2 pictures of around 1 meg the other day. I have seen more than once where the actual bottle neck was from the server at the ISP my computer is connected to to the outside world.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 21, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9091395

Will check with my server on Monday to see if they can download pics or if it is just me?
No virus's so I know that shouldn't be the problem.

Maxine
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9091416

My DSL is 3 meg down and 512k up and that is the max speed, not actual speed. Even when I had 5 meg fiber, the normal max file transfer speed was 400k-500k. The thing to keep in mind is the line transmission rate is in bits and files are in bytes with 8 bits per byte. As Doug said, the final speed is determined by how many different servers are passed thru, how many people are using that ISP and how elaborate the ISP setup is. A common ISP connection to a major telco CO would be a DS-3 which is 28 DS-1s. DS-1 is T-1 @ 1.544 mbs. Sounds like a lot of bandwidth until one considers there may be 1,000 active users at any given time with some users being business power users.

One can speed up the process of posting pictures by scaling down the file size before transmission. I think DG scales them down before filing them so that slowdown can be avoided.

This message was edited Apr 21, 2012 9:20 AM
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9091425

DG does scale down pics to some extent, but with today's high resolution cameras it can really help to downsize them a bit yourself first, otherwise things can sometimes get hung up while uploading. (especially if you're uploading multiple photos)
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 21, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9091779

My camera automatically scales to a JPG file, so don't have to worry about size. I should say it is the program that I am using, I think that is the correct thing.

Can someone tell me where to find out on my computer the dsl connection that I have thru my server. I am so stupid when it comes to computers. Have taken classes etc., but something hasn't connected in my brain.

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9091846

Jpg files can be large. I have only a 6 mp camera and the jpg file size is 3 mb. Higher resolution SLR camers can be much larger. Set your camera to max resolution, take a pic and save it to file. You can see the file size then. Of course, the camera can be set to lower resolutions also.

To check your DSL connection as it is set up on your computer, not your actual speed, go to:

Control panel

Network & sharing center

Click onto your modem--mine is a Westell DSL router

Connection information--you can see up and down speeds and your IP address in addition to other irrelevant information. If you are using a wireless router, you may have additional steps but the general process is the same. I am using an AT&T modem/router combo.

At&T has internet sites which will run speed tests but they will register the speed at the immediate time and may not be relevant to a busy time.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9091921

You should also be able to access your modem / router by entering 192.168.1.1 into a browser. If it asks for a login it is typically admin and the password is password unless someone has changed it. If that doesn't work the default login should be printed on the bottom of the device.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 22, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9092576

Thanks, will try that later when my pain lets up.

My thanks go out to all who have posted a reply.

Maxine
Rocco
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9138796

I have been a member of Dave's Garden since June 2003. I probably won't renew because of all the problems that I have had in replying to a thread, posting a thread or a photo. When I have composed the text or attached a photo and click preview I usually get a time out and nothing is sent. In addition to that there are several of my favorite forums that I can't access. Central Midwest Gardening is an example.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9138835

I would suggest using the "contact us" link at the bottom of any page to contact the admins. At a minimum they should be able to help you access the Central Midwest & other forums you're having trouble getting into. The picture posting is something I've seen others complain about too and I'm not sure they can do much about that but it's worth getting in touch with them.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9146370

Replying to a thread and uploading a photo are two different issues. Rocco, can you tell me which thread(s) you're having problems posting to, and approximately what time of day? (And were you also trying to upload a photo or was it just text?) We may need more details, such as which browser you're operating if the problem is strictly in getting text to upload.) Neither Melody or I can replicate the problems mentioned here, but we are aware that a few people are experiencing problems and we want to help. We just need details and your cooperation to try to troubleshoot the possible causes and situations that you're encountering.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America