Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Water Gardens: Sared Pink Lotus question

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 2, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eden100
Edinburg, IL
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9071669

I started Sacred Lotus from seed. The leaves emerged green but turned pinkish purple after a few days and not in a good way. I move them out of the water garden and into the greenhouse where i could monitor the temperature. Someone said to keep the water at 80 degrees and the nights have been rather cool. The American lotus growing at the lake are in full sun. Another person said the red and pink flowering lotus can't handle direct sun but i thought lotus needed full sun. The greenhouse light is filtered. The leaves are emerging a lighter shade of green and so far they haven't turned colors. I have them in individual pots with heavy soil topped with aquatic gravel. I gave them a half pellet of aquatic fertilizer. What's the problem, the sun or the water temperature? In this photo the leaves are just starting to turn colors. The only other thing in the water was mosquito tabs and water clarifier.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2012 7:24 AM

This message was edited Apr 6, 2012 9:12 AM

Thumbnail by eden100
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 7, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9073067

Mosquito tabs won't hurt your plants...check the water clarifier to see what's in it. If it's just barley, that's fine...but if it has any type of algaecide in it, or copper, that will kill plants. I also would watch the bubbler you have. The tops of the leaves MUST stay dry, in order to float and feed the root system (yes full sun is best!) If you get droplets of water, it starts to rot the leaves by choking out their only source of oxygen.
eden100
Edinburg, IL
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9079080

Thank you...I'm making the changes.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America