Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Computer Talk: Strange computer actions

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 1, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9071740

Recently, I noticed it was very difficult to delete pictures I had saved in the normal folder. It would sometimes take minutes and different mouse clicks to delete them. Also, scrolling thru text on e-mail, DG and cubits would lock up for a second or two then jump. Being the old time computer person I am, I deleted the active partition, did the slow format bit, and reinstalled Vista with only the basics added. Norton 360, OEM ATI video drivers, SP-1, SP-2, IE9 and an additional 112 Windows update files. Everything worked fine then I added Adobe Reader 10 and Adobe Flash 11. Still, everything works great with a pic delete in 1 second or so.

I can't explain the problem but I am certain it was either a virus of some kind or a Windows update which messed up the video driver or mouse driver. I can blame my wife, she isn't sitting here, for possibly clicking onto something in Facebook or the coupon site she likes to surf. Last year, I had a Windows update which messed up the CD/DVD driver.

The point is don't be afraid to scrub your pc clean and start over. Most pcs need to be erased and reformatted once a year just to eliminate the clutter. It is a good idea to partition a large drive to a size required for the OS and device drivers with an ample amount left over for future addons and virtual memory. My 'C' drive was 250gb and I partitioned it as a 50gb active drive leaving the 200gb partition for programs. A 750gb drive is used for junk storage and backup.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9090839

Just as info, everything began working perfectly after reformatting and reloading the programs I had previously. Hasn't skipped a beat since. Not certain of the cause but it is possible some kind of trojan slipped by my AV. Most likely it was a Microsoft update although I found the version of IE I was running was a beta version and a newer version was installed after the reformatting.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America