Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Bird Watching: I need bird identification

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 4, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9072280

Here is a bird that was sitting on the deck when I came home. Think it may have hit the windows. I put it in a container and took this picture. Can anyone tell me what it is? I currently have Pine Siskens, Chickadees, Juncoes, Blue Jays, Nuthatches, and Hairy Woodpeckers.

Thanks, Jeanette

Thumbnail by Jnette   Thumbnail by Jnette
Click an image for an enlarged view.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

April 6, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9072398

Hi Jeanette, That is a Golden-crowned Kinglet.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Golden-crowned_Kinglet/id
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9072706

Gosh are you sure? The coloring is way off from the one in my picture. I found a couple of Sparrows that came closer than that. This one is about the size of the Siskens. I really thought it belonged to the finch family. About the same size.

Thanks, tho. I certainly won't discount what you came up with. Jeanette
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

April 7, 2012
1:03 AM

Post #9072737

Hi Jeanette,Every photo will seem a little different due to lighting conditions etc. I've had these kinglets in my yard, they are very fast little birds.

Hopefully this link will work. It has a whole page of photos of Golden-crowned Kinglets.

http://www.google.com/search?q=golden-crowned kinglet&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Y_R_T5HBFMHW0QHJ26GKCA&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1898&bih=999

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 3:38 AM
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9073075

Ok, I am thinking the one I had was a younger one than yours and that is why it wasn't as dark. Thanks for your help. Jeanette

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America