Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Aroids: amorphophallus konjac seeds when are they ripe?

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 24, Views: 124
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9072475

i have 3 past flowered konjac's and seems i was sucessful at polinating them.. yea !!
the flower stem holding the berries are all firm..and i have the corms pot planted now..
i take them outside on warm days..
question.. from my reading..the berries will turn orangish when they are ripe?? is that correct?
right now they are plumping up..and turning from green to whitish. will they then go orange..if im doing
things right?
i want to plant the seeds and try my luck at a forest of konjac's..LOL
has anyone tried..and been sucessful at planting konjac seed??
i understand the seed arent viable very long so should be planted soon when "ripe"??
ive read to "pop" the seed out of the ripe berries, plant as berries..??
also when planting to use a slightly acid potting mix..and NEVER allow the mix to dry out???
do the seed require light to germinate? optimal temp for germination?
i know..im really going on..i'll stop now..:)
much thanks hope to see some responses..
much thanks
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

April 7, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9073504

I've only had seed of A. galbra and that was reddish orange. Planted them fresh and had good germination. A jungle fowl had got into the pot and scattered the contents a bit but I managed to get most back. From memory, they were planted as berries, uncleaned.

I'd be careful about growing a "forest of konjacs". I've heard a rumour that the last person who tried it was lynched by his neighbours, LOL.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9073555

lol..mmm maybe good advice tropic..on my dreams of a forest of konjac's. lol
any idea how long before the berries go orange??
i know im being impatient.. and all signs from the berries,corm,and stalk are good
no withering,molding..
i wonder when the "villagers" come to attack because of the stench of my forest.. if i tell
them its voodoo plants..and they better not bother me..it will keep them at bay.. LOL
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

April 7, 2012
10:07 PM

Post #9073687

I remembered an old thread here where someone asked whether their amorph was dead because it had seeded and then "froze in time". You might find a few hints there.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1016736/

Yes, hanging a few skulls and bones around in your forest of konjacs might do the trick. With mine, I'm putting it where the prevailing winds (southeasters during the flowering time) will miss my house and will have at least 500 metres to disperse before they get to the nearest neighbour in that direction. I'm planning on putting all the excess tubers of all species in it so should be quite a mix.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9073920

thanks again tropic.. mmm skulls..good idea.. i'll have to save
them when im done..??? lol what would that mean.?? .LOL
i want my nice konjac corms to get bigger for next yr.
as long as the seed stalk(former flower stalk) is attached to corm..its going to
prevent/slow down any growth on the corm...
??? question..im thinking of cutting the stalk off the corm.. so corm can get going..
will the seeds still ripen..unattached to corm??
im think on the skulls in the yard idea.. :)
much thanks...
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

April 8, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9074129

I tried that link in the other thread but there's nothing there. The link works but the page has been emptied. Here's another link with information about seeds:
http://rareplantsflorida.auctioninsights.com/shopping_page.html

Cutting off the stalk might not be too good for seed development.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9074169

thanks again tropic.. tried newest link..it wont work for me..i'll try again..
i guess i'll have to decide if i want the seeds..or bigger corms .. sigh..decisions..decisions..
lol
do u know how long it takes for seed to ripen? if its another month..thats not to bad..but if its mid summer
probably not good for the tuber..
hope youre staying clear of any crocs !!!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9092099

berries are plumping up more..yea !!!
i take them all out on most days.. weve had really warm weather.. high 70F.. suppose
to be in low 80Fs into next week..??? this is spring???
i'll take more pics of berries in a week or so.. show the progress..
i did poke around a bit.. in soil around corm .. there be roots down there!!!
YOWA SA !!! guess they are doing just fine..
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

April 22, 2012
12:35 AM

Post #9092426

Your tuber probably won't get as big as it would have without the seed. But at least you'll have a lot of plants. I'd try to avoid the temptation to check out the plant for roots. You'll always end up doing a bit of damage, no matter how careful you are.

The road out to the A. paeoniifolius that developed seed has opened again. Flood damage had put it off limits for a while. Unfortunately, after the heavy rains, we've had an extraordinary dry period (even though it's still in the wet season) and it's been hot. The whole seed stem started to wither. Looks like the plant was jettisoning it because of the dry. Probably only about 5% or less of the berries are swelling.

The plants are on a steep slope of sandy soil. Had I been able to get out there I'd have given them some extra water just to keep them going. But it's too late now. Most of the plants there have completely withered with the last one just starting to yellow now.

At home most of my A. paeoniifolius have gone although a few very late starters are still looking like it's a long way to the end of the season. The A. bulbifer, galbra and konjac are nearly all finished. A. symonianus, variabilis, atroviridis are still going strong. A. prainii which went dormant in early summer has a shoot starting up (it's a winter grower). And my A. titanum seedlings are still going strong. They've been going for nearly 17 months non-stop. One which developed a 2nd leaf is now producing a 3rd. I've heard that seedlings can split into a couple of plants. Makes me wonder whether this one is going to end up 3 plants. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9092838

i agree with avoiding the temptation of checking out roots.. i was overcome..LOL
i figured corm was doing fine with the flower stalk firm..and berries pulping up..
i wondered if corm with flower spikes would bulk up much.. guess its price to pay for
several 100s of seed..:)
seller i got these from already has asked for some seed..which im glad to ..
i think i have over 2 dozen konjac now..i think i need to stop buying corms.. ive been eyeing
titanums that are up on ebay.. fair prices.. i just figure im still a novice with amorphs..and paying several
hundred $$$ for a corm and potential of killing it.. but still its the alure of trying to grow and bloom the biggest of
them all.. :)
sad on the paeoniifolius shrivelling in nature tropic.. :( part of the cycle of nature... do they allow you to remove any
from nature to save?? permit? just not allowed? guess to late now though...
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9161294

looks like the berries on 2 of my konjac are close to ripe!! what do u all think??
these pics were from last week.. today berries are much more orange/yellow..
looking foward to seeing if i can get many to germinate..
i read konjac isnt hard to germinate..??? yes???

Thumbnail by tropicalnut777   Thumbnail by tropicalnut777
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Vestia
San Francisco, CA

June 13, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9164458

I have seen a few ripening heads of seeds in greenhouses, and they always seem to color up a bit more. I found a picture:
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~alan/plants/aroids/amorphophallus/konjac/21.html
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9165449

thanks vestia.. pics ive seen have ripe berries more orange..even reddish..
mine have turned more orange last several days..
we had a coolish spell..but last 4+ days the nites have been high 50sF
maybe this has helped the ripening along..???
anyways..heres a couple of new pics..
the berries are firm..so im not to concerned..yet.. LOL
thoughts?????

Thumbnail by tropicalnut777   Thumbnail by tropicalnut777
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9165452

just a bit of a clarification..the 2 pics i just put up.. actually
the berries are more orange than what shows in the pics..
i think im just a bit anxious..LOL
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9167840

i just checked a couple of the top of each stalk...im guessing most ripe..or close to ripe
berries.. there were 2 seeds in each berry.. ?? is this the form for the berries?? for konjac??
i have got to get some pots ready for the wave of berries im going to be planting..
if im sucessful germinating many ..im going to have a forest of konjac.. LOL
reading on this.. best germinating soil..is good seed starting soil..good drainage..
i think i'll add some more perlite to what i have too..???
thanks...
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

June 16, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9167994

Just wait til they all start flowering. I can just see someone being tarred and feathered and run out of the neighbourhood, LOL.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9168008

lol tropic.. :)
hey.. do u know if its "typical" for 2 seeds to be in a berry??
hows the weather down under?? you are just going into winter arent ya...
winter for there.. :)
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

June 18, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9169651

Don't really know for konjac. From memory, galbra only had the one seed per berry, I think.

I don't like winter at all. And this is our second one running that's below average. Not long to the shortest day now. July is normally our coldest month but last year it was June. You just don't know what you're going to get.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9169874

so true tropic on the weather..we just have to adapt to what mother
nature brings our way..sigh
i planted several berries yesterday.. i chose the most reddish/orange berries..
they came right off the stalk..and were firm..so im guessing thats good..
i put the berries mix of peat,coco coir,leaf mulch,and perlite.. i added some greensand
to the mix as well..
i put 2 berries in each 4" pots..im keeping them next to the house foundation at nite(stays warm all nite)
and in semi shade during the day..
were having a very warm start to our summer here..you mentioned tropic not knowing what well get
as far as the weather..so true...
??? how long for germination of konjac?? if berries were ripe..and ive done what i should have..
LOL
thnaks.. hope winter isnt to chilly for ya down under !!!!!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

June 19, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9171316

Again, I don't know for konjac but galbra seemed to be quite quick. And that seems logical as the young plant has to build up stores during the remainder of the season before it goes dormant. So the quicker the seed germinates the better chance it has for survival into the next season.

On the weather, last night was reasonably okay. As I said, you never know how it's going to turn out. Yesterday the maximum got to 31.7C and by 6:30PM (roughly sunset) it was down to 27.8C. It continued down until 9:30PM when it bottomed out at 18.3C. But then the temperature started to go up again. By 11:30PM it was back up to 23.7C, then dropped slowly again so that by 5:30AM it had dropped to its lowest for the night, which was 17.4C. From there it rose again right up through the day. It's always got some trick up its sleeve.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9180120

well im cutting the stalks today.. sigh..LOL
the berries are pretty reddish/orange.. and some are starting to wither.
so...
i hope the corm has time to send up a leaf stalk to restore the corm...
now comes the potting up of all those seeds.. i'll take pics.. and a count ..
any advice im sure open to it..
thanks
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

June 25, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9180770

If the berries start to come off when you brush them then they should be right. I just run my hand up the seed stalk and collect what falls off.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9180816

thanks tropic.. actually..the berries did just that.. for the most part..
i cut the stalk 10 " above soil level..
of the berries that were reddish/orange.. 194... i will be giving away..
all but 80.. i figure..if im sucessful.. i could end up with 60+ plants..
wow.. LOL
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

June 26, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9182389

I found after giving away the paeoniifolius I still had about 100 left. I put them in those red crates and 80 came up. But others did come up later. It seemed that with the over crowding some just stayed dormant. Because as the tubers got larger, there were less than 80 coming up at the start of their second season. I'd assume konjac might do the same. Unless you have them in individual pots.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9196849

well the seeds are planted..waiting patiently..:) and surprise..surprise..!!
both corms have sent up a vegetative sprout now..yea!!
i hope they have enough time to reenergize the corm..
these are potted up..so i can leave them out into "maybe" 1st part of october..
on good warmish days haul them out into the sun..
so..thats..just under 100 days .. i hope thats enough to get the corms nice and
big !!!! for next yr.. :)
we had a nice heavy rain 2 days ago.. and up went the humidity..
might be uncomfortable for us humans.. but i can hear my plants out there..singin..and
singin.. LOL my EE especially are loving the heightened humidity levels..
its been hot.. mid to upper 90sF for so long.. and very low humidity..
so..love the rain !!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America