Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Dahlias: Global Warming?

Communities > Forums > Dahlias
bookmark
Forum: DahliasReplies: 17, Views: 142
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9072522

I had a dahlia to come back first time as a matter of fact I think I killed my other one with weed killer a few wks. ago not knowing what it was I sure wasnít expecting it to come back!

We did have a very warm winter this year but a LOT of rain looks to me like the tubers would have rotted.

I gave up growing Dahlias because I just donít have the time to dig them up in the fall but think Iíll try a couple more this year now :) Of course if I have hopes of them coming back it probably wonít happen.

They werenít special Dahlias just a couple that I grew from seeds so I wouldnít regret not digging them up not even mulched.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9072808

Same thing here, Lea! One, in a window box, probably would have been viable but it would have been too tall (like last year). Others did rot in the ground. Some that I kept downstairs didn't survive.

At a certain point we all have to decide if it's worth it to dig. I won't dig again. Home Depot had enough choices to keep me happy for this year. Great prices, too.
Steve_D
Massapequa Park, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9073295

Great deals at local dahlia society sales both May and June show quality and outstanding garden/cut flower types also grown locally so they are locally proven. Hear on Long Island we can visit 2 societies for great tubers and plants cheap! In the Pacific NW outstanding sales Puiget Sound Dahlia Society has 12,000 tubers for sale check their web site.
Steve_D

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9073987

We have lived here in Texas for 7 years now...and EVERY year people tell us that it is not NORMAL weather. One summer scorching, the next wet and just hot! One winter so freezing we lost a ton of plants, the next so mild my Cannas never died all the way back.

I don't believe in NORMAL anything...least of all the weather. And I don't know about your weather forecasters, but ours can't tell me what is going to happen next week, let alone predict global warming...ha ha!

A Master Gardener once told me that given enough babying, you could grow almost anything anywhere. So even though most Texans scoffed at my growing Dahlias here...I grew them.

Thumbnail by morganc
Click the image for an enlarged view.

psudan
Mentor, OH

April 8, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9074140

Some of out local t.v. weathermen refer to it as "gullible" warming.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9074181

Cute, Dan!

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9074279

psudan -- LOL
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9080325

Sorry folks Iíve been having to move a lot of plants from a field I sold didnít know it was going to happen so havenít been around and do volunteer work five days a week more than 8 hrs. a day sometimes so just ended up with life getting in the way of getting back :)

Hi Pirl, I was going to ask if any of your dahlias had come up but got side tracked. I wonít dig them anymore either but just noticed I have two dahlia seeds coming up on the heat mat probably a little late for starting them but hey they are up anyway lol The frost got mine just the top of it the other night but it looks like itís going to be alright.

Morganc, my dahlia that came up out front is the same color but a cactus dahlia. Very pretty!

[ I don't believe in NORMAL anything...least of all the weather. And I don't know about your weather forecasters, but ours can't tell me what is going to happen next week, let alone predict global warming...ha ha!] Right On Morganc LOL

Psudan, now that is funny ["gullible" warming] LOL And so true!

We just had a freeze last night covered everything that was suppose to be covered or so I thought had no idea the ferns would turn brown :( Covered my dahlia and it still turned brown on top and I know the pot was big enough not to touch it holes were on the side I cover that sucker every night that's it's in the 40's since it made it this far sure don't want to lose it now! It's only about 8" tall.

Thanks for your response everyone :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 27, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9099926

I have to tell Damien about 'gullible warming.' He will burst laughing. Obviously not a proponent of the theory. Rather vocally.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9099937

He is not alone!

Tomorrow is LeBug's birthday so Happy Birthday a day early, Lea!

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9100656

LOL

Thanks Pirl :) That's so sweet!

Plan on doing a lot of gardening tomorrow just about caught up on all of those nasty weeds! That is if the wind allows if not I may go coleus shopping :)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9100664

Have a wonderful day doing whatever you want, Lea.

We had major winds today (gusts to 30 MPH) and tomorrow will be more of the same. Not fun for gardening.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9101975

We had those winds this evening and hail they predicted 3" hail but about the size of small gum balls I was so worried knowing my rugs I put over my little greenhouses were in the garage and it was hailing just knew it was going straight thru the weathered plastic covers but they were fine thank goodness!

We've had wind all week not pleasant.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9102183

All winter long, when I was working outside, I never had to have the hood of my jacket covering my head. With the wind I had no choice. Today is nice and calm...so far.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9102523

So far no wind here today either going to tackle more weeds!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 29, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9102659

While it is overcast and a little cooler 46F it is actually a good day for digging and dividing. I have a wild geranium that should have been moved years ago. I had to take a saw to it after washing as much dirt as I could from the roots. Solid wood in the center. Now I have bunches of plants to set around the garden.
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

May 2, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9107766

Here we had over a week of record warm days in March--some farmers even started plowing. Then in April we had one freeze after another and the apple orchards may have lost fifty percent of their crop. At least the mess my daylilies are will not cause me to lose my income. I wouldn't even listen to arguments over climate change, too-- complicated and I wouldn't even talk to a relative who has studied it for decades, first with NOAA or some darn government agency and then in Switzerland with an international organization---I only worry about weather my plants will freeze--or not---I'm too old to spend months or years trying to understand something. I can't understand--but I don't doubt or argue when I don't understand either-----------------------------------Weedy
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 2, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9107818

I'm with you Weedy. Politics, religion, global warming --- not good topics for light conversation.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dahlias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dahliettas, gallery dahlias, jackpot dahlias Lenjo 12 Mar 7, 2013 6:27 PM
Dahlias and black walnut hart 17 May 16, 2008 10:37 PM
Will the real Edinburgh please stand up? mvespa 19 Apr 17, 2007 8:44 AM
NO H20 - Candy says "Hi!" Please say Hi back Poochella 11 Oct 12, 2009 12:13 AM
Do ya really really have to dig them? WayehMalamutes 18 Apr 14, 2008 6:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America