Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: How to Grow Purple Sprouting Broccoli

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jenhillphoto

jenhillphoto
Danbury, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9073243

I saw Purple Sprouting Broccoli on Johnny's seeds website, but didn't get any because the price was high. Then I found some one the sample seed shop and decided to get some seed since the cost was reasonable.

How does it grow? Is it treated any differently than regular broccoli? How should I space it in the garden? I'm trying to figure out how to space it, etc.

Thanks for any info!

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9073284

Santee is a new hybrid, but the open pollinated purple sprouting broccoli has been around for over a century. Long season and huge plant. gets about 4 ft tall and 3 feet wide. Like all sprouting broccoli, It does not head but produces florets in profusion. Similar to side shoots on regular broccoli. In cool places with mild winters ( England) it is grown over winter. In the USA conditions and season similar to Brussell's Sprouts. http://www.google.com/search?q=broccoli purple sprouting&hl=en&sa=X&prmd=imvnse&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=06aAT7DSOcXdtgfwk4m2Bg&ved=0CF8QsAQ&biw=1440&bih=785 It also comes in Green Sprouting broccoli http://www.americanmeadows.com/vegetables-seeds/broccoli-seeds/green-sprouting-broccoli-seeds Also in White http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/brassica-and-leafy-green-seeds/broccoli-early-white-sprouting-white-eye/43TM

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9074193

I bet purple sprouting broccoli has more anthocyanins than the green kind. I'll have to try growing some this winter.
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9074866

HoneybeeNC wrote:I bet purple sprouting broccoli has more anthocyanins than the green kind. I'll have to try growing some this winter.

Does it keep the purple color on cooking? A lot of purple vegetables revert to green when they are cooked. I can't find any specific info on Santee.

-Rich
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9075067

Turns green when cooked.

jenhillphoto

jenhillphoto
Danbury, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9082356

It looks very pretty in the pictures. I'm not sure where I will put it if it gets that big. In my googling I've read that is very tasty, but lots of plant with not much to harvest. Also conflicting information as to how to grow it. Some say direct seed. Some say start indoors.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9082534

Like broccoli and Brussels Sprouts it it is best transplanted. It does require a 3 ft spacing. Taste like side shoots on regular broccoli.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America