AuthorContent

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9073635

My garden has been overtaken by weeds, so I am tearing it all out and starting over. I'm hoping the construction crew will be out of the way so I can get started.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Click an image for an enlarged view.

emptyandamazing
Nortborough, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9073814

wow! that looks like a determined weed! good luck with the garden
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 8, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9074103

I feel your pain smashed, good luck with the restoration. I must say the hens and chicks look nice. That is one plant I miss growing. Its too hot here and I had some that lived a while but finally died off. Is that the same area you summer plant your cactus in? I always enjoy your summer pics of the C and S areas.
C

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9074337

Thanks! emptyandamazing, C. Yes, that's where I have my plants during the summer. I plan on making a lot of changes this year.
Gary

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9085323

I found this piece of "Paper Spine" (Tephrocactus articulatus) when dismantling my garden. I didn't know they would survive the winter in my area. I might try to leave a bigger bunch out this year.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 7:37 PM

Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9097806

I pulled all the plants (except a few hen and chicks and dunce caps), dirt and pea gravel out of my garden. I put down new plastic and top soil (to hold down the pea gravel. This is as far as I got before it started raining.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9097809

I put a little succulent garden by the pond. The "dunce caps" are to the right. Sorry, the pictures are a little blurry because it was starting to get dark.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9098045

Have you ever tried Preen? It is a pre-emergent. I love it. I use it early spring once and then again maybe 6 months later. Just a light sprinkling all over. Weed well first then use it. If you continue to use it you will never have a weed again! My problem was after a few years, no more weeds were coming up so I stopped using it. And they came back from the wind I guess blowing them in. Once the seeds germinate, Preen has no effect.

I esp like it in between cactus where you can't reach in with your hand among the stickers to weed yet weeds always seem to love to grow there.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9098429

That's a big job Gary. I love the little echeverias etc. They look wonderful.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9099207

Kell. My dad tried some preem on his garden last year. It seemed to work pretty well. I might try it. Thanks!
Nancy, It is a big job! I was going to expand this year, but the road construction and an aching back made me change my mind.
Here is a picture so far. Notice the hen and chicks under the dogwood tree. I had a wagon full of them. I still have some left.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9099951

Wow, yes, you do have a lot! Maybe you have neighbors who would like some?? The garden looks ready to plant when you are! I just noticed what looks like a large tree stump there near the wall. Was there once a tree there?

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9100506

That was a walnut tree I had cut down a couple years ago. I needed more sun for my garden and I didn't want the walnuts to damage my plants. I almost killed my dogwood tree. I put the black plastic down all the way to the trunk. That is why I planted the hen and chicks there, so it can get some air and maybe keep the weeds out.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9101122

The dogwood looks happy again now. I love dogwoods. There were lots of them in Rhode Island where I lived, both white and pink flowering. I'll bet there were a lot of roots from the walnut tree in your garden at first.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9101211

We have lots of dogwoods here, too. They have a festival every year, but most years the flowers are nearly gone by then (because scheduling around Easter). But a lot of azaleas are blooming at that time. And yes! I had to chop roots to get my pond in.
Here are two of my favorite irises that just happened to bloom next to each other.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9101316

Beautiful irises also. They sure have huge flowers and I love the ruffle to the petals and, of course, the colors. Looks like a pretty pink on in back of the purple too.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9101897

I put out a few more plants today (Saturday). The Titanopsis bloomed a few hours after I planted it. A big surprise.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9101905

I found this piece of pipe at an estate sale. It was made in our town (still in business). My dad worked there most of his life. It has the city name on it.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 29, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9102588

How do you over winter the titonopsis? Mine looks nearly dead and it was under some pretty intense lights this past winter. How long have you had those mesembs?

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9102660

I just bought them all. I haven't figured out how to keep them over winter. I've tried three years now. Got close one year. I don't think I watered them enough.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9102724

I love that pipe planted with the echeverias. Colors are fantastic and I'm sure it means a lot to you.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9102729

The following article gives excellent information on growing mesembs like lithops. It gives the all important watering schedule:

http://www.sgvcss.com/Lithops info sheet.pdf
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 29, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9102735

Some, like the titonopsis are very hard to keep alive indoors. Mine made it but boy does it look sad now. The baby's toes are not hard as long as you don't water or at the most just a little mist away from the plant body during the winter and give them good light. Mine are under and close too some pretty intense lights all winter. I used to think I could grow lithops but this year I killed nearly half of them? But like you I will keep trying...
C

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9103062

Thanks, Nancy for the comment on the pipe. I got the idea from another DGer (the big blue barrel with flowers pouring out of it). Thanks also for the article.
Thanks C for the misting tip. I will try that. And by the way. My titonopsis is actually Aloinopsis luckhofii. The ones to the left of it is Aloinopsis schoonesii.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9187011

Here's an update on my little trial garden. Everything has survived but the Aloe harlana. Some of the Haworthias are barely hanging on. We've had a very dry spring (11" short on rainfall) and record high temps this week. Tomorrow will be the third day of temps at around 106 and 102 Sunday. A very slight chance of rain next week with temps in the upper 90"s. My Agave blue glow leaves are turning white.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9187020

This is another trial garden planted just to the right of the other one. They seem to be doing pretty well.

kinym
Carmichael, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9187021

I can't wait to see more pics! What a big job. Looking good.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9187036

Here's what it looks like at present. Working 12 hours a day, Vegetable garden and grandkids on the weekend. I haven't had time to do much with it. I did get some solar lights put around it the other day.

kinym
Carmichael, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9187059

Looking good!

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9187538

Great work Gary! Your plants look good to me. My Agave 'Blue Glow' doesn't like the sun and heat here at this time of year. It has turned green and I moved it into deep shade a couple of days ago.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

June 30, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9187656

I had a really green one of those going in a container for a while. It was not pleased with day-long sun and chronic underwatering and began to complain loudly. Rather than fine-tune that stuff, I just put it in the ground. A few months later it's now on the road to recovery with the same extreme exposure. Nowhere near as nice-looking as Gary's plant, though... have to say yet again that's a nice-looking agave. Hope the heat stress passes quickly. Our high temperature for June was 71F.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9188882

Thanks, kinym, Nancy, baja. I almost didn't plant it in the ground this year. After 25 or 30 ouches, I've decided it will stay in the pot next year. This Agave hedgehog is doing very well in the pot and in full sun. It looked pretty sad after overwintering. I had to trim several leaves off of it. Hre is our forcast for the week. It has been around 105 since Friday and is going to be around 100 all next week. I had to fill my rain barrel up with tap water because we have had no rain for several weeks.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9188944

I had to cut the tips off mine because it just hurt too much trying to deal with it. I didn't want to, but it really aggravated me.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9253663

Onece again my baby toes are blooming. It was a very hot summer and I lost some of them. Now that it is cooler and with a few rain showers, they are looking better.

helenchild
Decatur, GA

August 26, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9254510

Your garden and plants look great. Your hard work paid off.
I love your cactus planter. When you are ready to let it go send me a note!! :-)

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9266295

I thought the aloe harlana had died, but it has came back. The dunce caps are getting ready to bloom. I love taking pictures of these.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9266306

The Agave blue glow and the Aloe brievafolia (sp?) are looking good.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9266341

Your plants look wonderful Gary.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9266351

Thanks, Nancy!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America