Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Herbs: Chives, harvesting and dividing questions

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 5, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mgpaquin
Savannah, GA

April 8, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9074590

After several years of failing with chives I finally learned that down here in Savannah, GA I need to put tender little chive plants into the ground in the early fall, so they can settle in and grow roots without being burned up in our summer heat. Which leads me to my questions:

1) Harvesting. What percentage of a chive clump can I cut at once, or if I "mow" it, leaving a couple of inches of green, will it grow back?

2) Dividing. Never had to do this before, so I'm baffled, but the chives are so strong and healthy now I think they'll probably go through the summer. My instincts tell me to divide in the early fall, so the "new" plants will have a chance to settle in just like the little ones did last fall.

We love chives (Vichysoisse just isn't the same without chopped chives), and they do freeze beautifully, so I'd love to keep the chives I now have, and increase them for the future. Any guidance will be gratefully received!
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9079617

You can cut the chive completely at once, it will grow back. I cut them until about 1 inch.
I never divide my chives, they just grow wider. But if you want to divide them, I think the best time is early spring.
My chives do selfsow, so I have enough plants to eat chive when I want.

Kind regards,

Jonna
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9095190

I agree with Jonna. I'm guessing I cut my chives back 2-3 times throughout the season, trying to get them right before they bloom. If you miss and they bloom, enjoy the blooms first, they are a pretty little ball, then whack them when the balls get too heavy and they flop to the ground. I've had the same two clumps for several years, which just get thicker. I did try to chunk some off last fall to overwinter inside as a house plant, which did not work for some reason, not sure why. It just languished in the pot.

Thumbnail by bonehead   Thumbnail by bonehead
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Mountaindweller
Dolan Springs, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9102350

That pic belongs in a frame! Love it :)
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9105472

I grow chives in a container...started them from seed several years ago. When we moved to our new home in 2009, I found a small patch of chives growing in the garden in an inopportune spot. I dug them up and put them in a matching pot. They are both doing very well and make a very pleasing presentation together!

I harvest as much chives as I need for whatever meal I'm preparing...usually try to trim the leaves from the back of the pot so they stay nice looking. BTW, chive blossoms are edible. I put them in a dish I make with orzo.

I just leave the pots out in the winter (they're in glazed pots) and let the birds pull off the dead leaves for building nests. They're back each spring, happy as clams!

Katherine
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9105776

Thank you, MTDweller.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America