Crimson Climber?

Lucerne Valley, CA(Zone 8a)

I can't for the life of me remember the actual name of this lovely vine, and I have no photos, but perhaps I may describe it well enough for someone to know it. I planted this one year near some trees and for the longest time it only sent out its long, dark green vine. If I remember correctly it had small, shiny three pointed leaves. One day I looked high into the tree and there were so many beautiful, tiny (about an inch) incredibly bright red flowers. They were not trumpet type, they had 5(or 6?) very pointed petals and the vine stretched for a couple of feet between flowers. If I'm not even in the ballpark of a description anyone can identify, please accept my apologies, but I'm dying to find this flowering vine again.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Coral vine comes to mind, but dunno if it's red

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

CARDINAL Climber ? like a tiny-flowered morbibg glory -
hummers love it !!!

Yay!!! That's it!! I knew it was some red color name... scarlet, crimson...CARDINAL!!! And it is indeed belled like a morning glory, but with those lovely points! Thank you!

you are welcone, dahlin !

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I live in the desert too maybe I should try to get some seeds of this.

Well, Helln, I wasn't in the desert when last I grew it. I was in Fontana, but I'm definitely going to try some here and see how it does.

Two new strains have
recently come out -a pink
and a white

but hummers love red so
that is my preference

here in tx the best time to
direct-seed is february but
it is still not too late

they are self reeeders and
survivors - will even come up in cracks in pavement !

This message was edited Apr 11, 2012 6:33 PM

Well, I'd better hurry then!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Sounds like a plan.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.