Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Canadian Gardening: What's happening in your neck of the woods??? Come chat...

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 236, Views: 1,081
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 9, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9075098

Thought I would move us over ...

Moved from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1246853/

we are all thinking gardening, trying to get ahead of the game even though it's only early April, let's stop and smell the roses..ohhhh that's why we are working so hard, need to get those gardens in shape so WE CAN smell the roses

This message was edited Apr 9, 2012 7:46 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 9, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9075452

I'm First?!?! wow
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 9, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9075530

hi gals ! i'm second !!!
hope everyone had a wonderful week-end..the weather sure turned for us..temps in the minus and overnite snow. expecting cool temps till mid week then should go up again.
tomatos are growing like mad..don't fit under the lights anymore. started potting them up,
can't do many at a time, lots of pain mid back right now. have heard lyrica may help.
saw your post carol, thank you for the wonderful offer, hubby told me last night he's working on a box in the shop. feels he should do something.
i've read all of the experiences with lilacs, it'll sure help with me choosing one.
another thought is a dwarf on a standard stem. have to check that out too.
cheers L
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 9, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9075709

OK I'm third.
Susan, Bamfield is a research station on the west side of Vancouver Island , quite out of the way. We flew to Comox then bused for 4.5 hrs , through the Cathedreal (sp) Forest for a quick stop, before we arrived. Everything was uphill. Where ever we walked was UP of course there were downs too. 37 Grade 9 girls ,2 teachers and 3 Moms were there. AMAZING place.

Will be putting my started plants out to the G house on Wednesday. I can't believe it's almost here I don't want to say the S word incase I jinx it.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 9, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9075727

Very nice, Ann - bet you're sore from all that walking Uphill lol
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 9, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9075813

ladies...it's spring
i'm so excited
i wet my plants

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 9, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9075847

LOL, just burst out laughing..

Cold here today also, brrrr, think it's because of the wind!!
was going back in 2007 threads..this brought a smile

one of my gardens in 2007 then same area in 2011

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 9, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9075945

LOL Lindy!! My DH said "cutey, cutey, cutey" LOL

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 9, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9075963

Betty - the transformation of this garden area is truly amazing and wonderful - I would Love to visit you and sit quietly in it, sometime.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 9, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9076083

HAaaaaaaaaLLLLLllllllOOOooooooooo ^_^

Headache is gone .. good riddance .. when one is not used to them they really make you feel crummy.

Ann .. your trip sounds wonderful .. must have been flowers in bloom ?

Betty, your secret garden is awesome .. I remember you placing those walking stones ..

We had 'snow fluffies' off an on today .. cold here .. but double digit temps by Thursday ..

Thanks for the move

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9077308

Big transition, Betty.

I don't think I showed you the Easter pics. The Vancouver crew -

and the twins - this might have been Saturday - the day before their birthday.

We head out to Vancouver on Saturday for a short visit. I'll wave as we go over Calgary to all of you out there.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn   Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 10, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9077348

Omg Viola how they have grown..and look at the little one..
It's wonderful that get get to visit from time to time..think too many times grandparents are on the losing end!

Enjoy Vancouver visit..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 11, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9078905

Lovely pics Viola .. growing up fast !!

Grandson's BDay dinner was great .. I didn't have to cook, and the restaurant was more than happy to serve the cake I had brought.

Physio today and tomorrow, don't know how much longer I'm going to keep going .. it helps the hip somewhat, and I feel I have a bit better range of motion .. but it seems to have plateaued.
My cousin was there today as well .. another nurse .. it's her shoulder she's having problem with ..

Beautiful sunny days here, but sadly brisk NW winds make the temps quite cool ..

Off to have the Income Taxes done tomorrow .. hate to pay the $$, but, I also hate making myself crazy trying to do it myself !!

TTFN

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9079490

Missed the move over.
Had a nice weekend. a neighbor came over on Sat to walk a dog and went along with another - just around the block for me but I have picked up a bit more on other days - just take one dog each time, the others get a bit ticked when they have to stay home! Fortunately they are all seniors and none of them walk fast. Sunday dinner at a neighbors- he does all the cooking and loves to experiment. I could not enjoy the grain salad he made although all others did but I was able to eat a reasonable amount of ham, scalloped potatoes and veggies and a bit of angel food cake with lemon filling and strawberries for dessert. I do love scalloped potatoes - was thinking of making some but not sure if would be able to eat, now I know, Discovered recently also hamburger is good and pork sausages! So that is a new part of the diet!

Last chemo of 5th cycle yesterday, one cycle to go and next week is free. Garden show this weekend - I may have overextended myself, working two hours each at two booths( Peony and Lougheed House) on Sat and a 2 1/2 hour shift at membership booth on Sunday - I can sit at all jobs so that is a plus. Have to get down to LH to pick up my costume as I need to wear it on Sat. And if I get tired looking they will send me home! I do enjoy this show because one gets to talk to lot of people especially in the membership booth.

I took my camera to hospital with me yesterday and asked somebody to take a pic and the battery was dead! It does not seem to hold a charge for long, maybe it is time for a new ( and expensive) one.

Supposed to have rain for a few days, hope it stops before Tuesday, a friend is coming over to help and we will work on the beds facing south, have loads of bulbs coming up and a lot of the little ones in flower. Several of the peonies on the south side of the house are up a few inches.

I have 3 tomatoes in the back porch brought to me, all cherry type, two unfortunately indeterminant so will be big and very leggy already, planted about the bottom 10 inches in deep pots and hope they will do OK, the porch faces east so lots of light but not really sufficient to keep these bushy when they did not start that way Got all the plugs under lights in the basement. Yesterday Cdn Tire had nice small pots of geraniums for $1.49 so I bought a dozen and put them under the lights too. Unfortunately I cannot put the tomatoes there as they are already too high.

Looking for ward to my "week off". Have to start getting back into old habits like walking the dogs every morning!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 12, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9079549

morning all, cold earlier in the day but warming up..tomorrow is suppose to be the best of the week. Have a dr's appt at 9:15 a.m. and should be back by 10:30 which leaves most of the day to play in the gardens.

Oooh, wonder if geraniums are on sale at our Canadian Tire..want to see if they have shrubs so will take a run at lunch. Often they have canvas tops for gazebo and am hoping one will fit mine, sun sure takes a toll on rotting canvas. It is either a new top or new gazebo.. you have such luck with pre-starting your plants..it's a knack for sure.

Carol, meals are always so much more when someone else does the cooking.

Think Toronto is having a big gardening show, would love to go but hate the 2 hr. drive each way and I think I'd be wanting everything I see. Just purchased a metal art piece..3 canada geese on a balancing arm set on a 10' -12' pole..it's weighed with a rock and at the slightest of breeze it looks as though the geese are flying. Was told the fabricator will have it done by the 18th or so, looking forward to it, just have to see where around the pond it shall go.

Do you have rechargeable batteries in your camera? I find it much less expensive since I put $$ into a charger and rechargeable batteries.

Glad you have some time off to enjoy

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9079777

Betty love the geese! Always seem to see things like that at the gdn show that I like but either too expensive or I don't think I have a suitable place. Have always wanted a pair of herons but don't have a pond so don';t think they would fit!

My camera has a special battery and charger. Would actually be easier if it used regular batteries!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 12, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9079859

Sometimes it's for the best to have a cheaper camera using rechargeables..think I bought my camera at xs cargo, reg. 149.99 for 59.99 works like a charm.

Geese were $299.99 at the store, but fabricator is venturing out on his own, doing sales in high end cottage area and cost will double..mine came from last order he is taking at the garden center.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 12, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9079884

you have XSCargo there, too, eh Betty - good place.
Bob got mine a couple of years ago at Blacks. It needs replaceable batteries, so I just make sure I valid extras with me.

btw - with all the pain and sorrow in the world, it's nice to hear about this miracle baby:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/newborn-baby-found-alive-morgue-12-hours-being-175501352.html
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9079970

Betty check out this site: http://waterworksgardenart.com/ I have coveted one of this guyys fountains for years, he is usually at the garden show but it seems the ones I like best are well out of my price range! On the other hand ...maybe this is the year- I will know this weekend.

Raining here - for the next couple of days apparently we sure do need the moisture.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 12, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9080005

Love the garden gates...bought a book several years ago with patterns to incorporate copper piping and stained glass..quite the works of dart

Susan, goes to show you, miracles do happen..lord and angels walk with that child!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9080032

Vi Ann Beautiful Grand babies and kid's! You must enjoy them so!
Marilynn isn't it better when someone else cooks.
Carol nice to hear you are getting out. Bulbs up in Calagry? Nothing here yet except my P... crocus that have just started to send up their fuzzy beginings. Carol if the tomatoes get way too leggy just support them best that you can and plant them on their sides , even coil them arount in a pot if you can. they will be fine. I have just started mine and they are all indeterminate. I am so going to find a fern leaf Paoney(sp?) this year. IT's going to be my treat to me.
Betty , very cool geese!
Alberta Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9080057

Ann this is what they look like today- the pots are 12 inches, the plants almost 18 and the root is almost at the bottom of the pot!Now the soil has settled I can probably add another couple of inches.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 12, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9080058

ok - started out as rain this am, now it's snowing... looks like we may have more than we thought. Gee - 16 yesterday, and snow today LOL I'm glad now that I didn't clear my flower garden - I have "ground cover" in the old vegetation lol

Wow Carol - your tomato plants already have flowers on them!! Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!

Luz Milagros is a wonderful name for the baby - Miracle Light :-)

This message was edited Apr 12, 2012 4:00 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 12, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9080080

Holy whaaa look at those tomatoe plants..talk about a green thumb!

Susan much the same here but in reverse, plant life don't know what to make of it.

Alberta Ann, treats to self are the best kind of treat..you seem to get exactly what you want. Lol. Panay ?? Fernleaf? Thought for a moment you meant peony..I'll have to check what your pressie to yourself look like

Yes anxious to get geese..every year I buy one or two pieces of metal art, hit me limit already, bought a gate a month ago so I could incorporate my stained glass blue heron, waiting for better weather to figure out how and where to display..can see purchasing some tall grasses..any ideas?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 12, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9080158

Betty - interesting, isn't it, how all three of your comments are "aimed" at Albertans. We must be chatty here today LOL
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9080162

Those tomatoes were given to me 2 weeks ago - I am not responsible ! They were started from seed in somebodys basement under lights!

Betty yes ann meant Fernleaf Peony - it is a type of species peony - here is a pic of mine which is quite old. They are rather slow growing and tend to be quite expensive for a very small plant. I got mine from an elderly aunts yard almost 20 years ago. It blooms early and the foliage is quite different - very 'ferny' which accounts for the common name.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 12, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9080169

Carol - love the fern-y leaves on that peony! Is it a heritage plant?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9080171

Not sure what you mean by heritage plant? If you mean how long has it been around then yes. This from a peony website: It is native to the Caucasus(sp?) Mountains in Russia I think.

"Paeonia tenuifolia is so remarkable that it has long been known to gardeners. In 1759 it was one of the peony species identified by Linnaeus (24/126), but it must have been known in German gardens as early as 1594 (6/64). Also Mrs. Frank states that P. tenuifolia was raised at the beginning of the 16th century by a nursery in London for commercial purposes (6/21). For the English speaking world Alice Harding reports the introduction of P. tenuifolia in 1765 to England (9/12) and to America in 1806. (9/26)."

This message was edited Apr 12, 2012 5:40 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 12, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9080177

Absolutely gorgeous Carol...have to check the nursery..last year was my first year at this location that my peony bloomed..your fern peony is breathtaking..love the mirror! Can you tell me what the blue flowers are?

Susan, sometimes it goes that way!

Bed is calling..have an early morning appt with my doctor..co incidence that my insurance company called this afternoon to say id been denied life insurance, seems the blood tests taken show I either have or have the starting of diabetes...imagine! Didnt my doctor just say that the 28 viles of blood taken erlier ths year showed I'm healthy..anyway, will fast just incase he thinks further testing is required and sends me for more goodies to be taken.

Enjoy your evening

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 12, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9080180

Well I'm going to be on the lookout for one Carol...need specialty nurseries in my neck of the woods
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9080410

Betty there are two plants there with blue flowers . One is Virginia Bluebells( Mertensa Virginia), the other is Brunnera.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 13, 2012
3:57 AM

Post #9080556

Morning

Sun is just peeking in, cold right now but calling for a high of 16-18 today! Will get to play in the gardens for a bit.

Thanks for the Info re blue flowers, will put them on my list to check a the garden gallery for them, perrenials right?

Why is it every time you have to fast you feel as though you have to eat/drink.

Hope it's a sunshine day in your neighborhood!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 13, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9080583

Have been Peony fan 'on and off' .. ON, because I love their scent, and, OFF because i never seem to be able to get ALL the ants off a boquet before I bring it in the house!!
Only have one now, a pretty light pink one, but, I must say that Fern leaved one sure looks delicate!!

Status quo here on weather, sunny and cool (COLD) .. rain predicted sometime later today.

I am off to TWO book launches this evening .. 365 days in a year and on ONE day I have two book launches .. odd !!

Taking Lorna for blood work this morning .. best get at it ..

TGIF

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 13, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9081018

Carol
I would add to the soil as it will root around the stem however I also would remove the lower leaves that will go in the added soil. These types of tomatoes are very forgiving and once they get outside they will settle and be healthy. they do look good! Support them if they need help or get floppy. Are you able to pick them up? If so perhaps you can set them out on your front step on good days. Don't forget to pet them, it encourages stronger growth. They like stroking but not from another Tomatoe.
your lovely Peony is the reason I like them. I found that the ferny leaf caught me. And they are expensive and are a small rooted 1 gallon pot will be 65.00 and up. That is why I call it a treat and present to me.

Betty , those nasty Insurance people! I too can't get good life insurance by myself but now that I'm in a group they have no choice!! They have to take me. Ha !!

It's raining and cool here to. Only going to be 8 or so on the weekend. Have the heat mats on for the G house and will plug in the heater. Only going to be that way for the weekend and then back up next week.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 13, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9081057

well Betty - now that your Dr is confirming you Don't have sugar diabetes, I'm sure your insurance company is red-faced!!
So happy to hear you Do Not have it. Now, to find out why you're in pain, and have all those headaches... they Did rule out that insect bite on your forehead, right?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 13, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9081604

Thanks Ann- I expect I can move them if we get some nice days although the back step only has sun in the morning. And I will definitely be topping up the soil - I think I can get almost another 2 inches in the pots.

One of our foster moms is an accountant and did my taxes for me! First time I have not done them the old fashioned way. And since I had a lot of medical expenses this year it was worth declaring them and because of that I dont owe very much.

Most of yesterdays very wet snow has disappeared but there may be more on the way, in any case not very warm the next while. Was hoping to get into the garden to start clean up next week but looks like that will be cancelled- either snow or rain coming.

Made scalloped potatoes and a hamburger with mushrooms and onions for supper- didn't taste too bad!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 14, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9081838

Morning all, feel badly telling you all that it's a sunshine day here in my neighborhood when you are dealing with cold temps and snow..I'll enjoy playing in the garden for all of us ok?

Yesterday afternoon I went in the town and went all over looking for shrubs and a few perennials, not much out yet, guess I'm rushing things.

Don't you love it when you have a gazebo up and the sun has done a number on the top and you can't replace it? What a waste, more metal in wastelands because of it. Took a good look at those new umbrella's 10x10' almost tempted to have the boys take down gazebo and buy one providing they can assure me tarp portion can be replaced.

You must be feeling a bit better Carol to have cooked such a yummy meal. Just hate cooking for one..always a relief to have taxes done..not looking forward to it.

Headaches Susan due to high blood pressure and also muscle spasms in shoulder and neck..did bring copies of doctor report on all my testing to insurance company, doubt they will change their point of view, oh well.

Omg AlbertaAnn, don't think I ever saw a peony for that much money, no wonder it's a treat when purchased..I'm still tempted to have the boys get me a silk lilac for mothers day..maybe I'll put the fern peony on my list as well...gee, only have 2 sons, just think of the garden I could have if I had 12. Lol. Plants/shrubs and more plants.

Time to wash floors, have cereal and decide how I will spend my day

Enjoy yours
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9081931

Betty I could find you peonies for over $200.00! Most of the peonies for sale here the spring are that kind of price but they are big plants, the fern leaf for that price will be very small. Speaking of fernleaf I see mine is popping up very nicely.

I recall visiting a garden some years ago where the lady had a number of metal panels growing vines along her back fence - they were the side panels from gazebos - when the top had to be replaced she bought a new one and reused the metal panels

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 14, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9082060

Omg hard to believe that someone would pay that king of $$$ for a plant..wow..I'm going to be more alert and keep an eye out for one when at the nurseries...anxious now to find one.

Did the same about 5 years ago..had my brother weld 4 corners..he kept a finished panel and I kept one, a few years ago bought a large metal butterfly and hung it..actually at the corner of back bedroom deck, looks nice. This one though has round poles and not much metal work, will see what I could design though..I'll post photo and maybe you will have ideas.

Not out in the gardens, didn't take long for sun to go in, wind to come up and it's cold..still in my nighty..played a bit with stained glass piece and other than that have done nothing! Should look around and pick a project otherwise I will feel as though I've wasted a day.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9082075

Biting my tongue here .. argggggggggggg .. had a colleague a few years back who was moving from her home into a condo .. she wanted to GIFT her perennials .. several of which were WELL established PEONIES .. I passed !!!
Live and learn.

Cool and overcast here .. son and family are due to visit this afternoon ..dear GD had her naval pierced .. REALLY biting my tongue on that turn of events .. she's 13, saved her money to have it done .. kids LoL

I think everyone will keep busy in some way today

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 14, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9082079

Lol you will really have to be on good behavior and be excited for her...at least in wasn't the brow, lip or tongue. Kids..

Found out my Jedd 42 decided to have a kayak done on his shoulder a few weeks ago, decided although I am not fond of the idea to go with it..

But passing on the peonies is quite another thing

I've regular peonies bit to find a fern one, where or where can I start my search??

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 10:52 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 14, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9082083

Oooo just sent an email to see how I can order one or two of these

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=371121642

Going stateside 1st weekend in April, wouldn't be too far from Oakville

Or could ask Ann's daughter who lives not far from there to see if she could pick one up

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9082126

YEOWZA Betty .. is that gorgeous or WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May I ask the price ?
I am going to see if any of our local greenhouses have any .. I'll just call ..

Re Brooklyn and her belly button .. I'm a ZIPPER mouth Gramma :-) Her choice, and SHE ultimately has to live with it ... she's never mentioned a tat .. my son (her Dad) has 4 from his time in the service .. that was 20 years ago and he is now wishing he hadn't done it .. so .. he can impart that knowledge to her.

Misty out .. Lorna is out though, on her MULE !!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 14, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9082137

"m" the ad says $35.00 and it's 3 or 4 years growth
Hoping the salesperson replies

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 14, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9082147

the perenial Fern Leaf peony on kijiji is $35!!
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 14, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9082554

When my treasured GD appeared with facial piercings I mentioned that I'd pay $100.oo if they were removed.It worked.Now I'm making the same off to her brother to have a haircut.He graduates from University and I hate to think of that hair his his grad pictures.He has been on the Deans' list every year but sure doesn't look it.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 14, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9082591

Amazing what we grandmothers do. Lol
Being on the Deans list is no easy feat, how proud you must be, long hair and all.

What has your weather been like?

Sun was out early this morning, didn't take long before it turned bitter cold, now that the day is at an end it's 64 degrees..calling for thunderstorms so guess no working in the garden tomorrow either.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9082693

Thats a good price Betty but even if 3/4 years old I bet not very big.

Enjoyed my day at the garden show.Changed clothes half way thru from regular to my LH costume and wore my wig. Got lots of compliments. Saw lots of old friends and aquaintances that of course have not seen all winter.Came home and had a nap and the dogs woke me up apparently clamoring to be fed so I finally got up because I could not see a clock and it was only 430 - I dont feed them till after 5PM! I was a bit ticked!
It was raining/snowing lightly most of the day but that is really good weather for this show - what else can you do if you can't work in the garden? Go to the show!

Tomorrow I work in the membership booth in the afternoon which is in a different building and get a chance to wander around all the displays and see if I can find something to buy. I saw people with some interesting 'stuff' today.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 15, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9083004

Mornimg, very misty here this mornimg, every once in awhile I think I see a ray of sunshine so it must be trying to come out despite the weatherman saying 90% rain all day,

So carol, your comment is telling me it will take years to produce flowers from a large healthy plant? Here I was thinking 3/4 year old plant would be huge. Lol

Glad you enjoyed the day and got to visit with friends..ohhh exhibits/booths you can buy from, here is hoping you come home with something extra special for you...

I get to pick up my Canada Geese trio Thursday if the fabricator got it
done by the date he expected to have it finished..keep looking around the gardens to see where it shall go..best I make a reminder to purchase a bag of cement..

Well, gab with you later, if I continue to sit that will be the end of my energy and I'll do nothing!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 15, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9083018

Wow .. some bad weather States side for sure .. multiple tornadoes through numerous States .. we are hearing that we should expect increased wind gusts later today .. right now it's dull and dreary out there and it seems as though the rain is imminent .. but .. who knows.

The 'Gramma stuff' is a tough cookie to swallow or crumble' I find .. you hope that your kids are able to parent effectively, and, that if you need to throw in your 2 cents worth of wisdom, that it is done properly and no feathers are ruffled in the process .. the belly button piercing is still bothering me .. but, in the scheme of the things I guess it's menial. Brooklyn is a caring and loving child and I feel she'll make the right decisions as her life unfolds ..

This 'Fern Leaf peony search' is really quite something .. am thinking of calling today or visiting 3 Greenhouses tomorrow to see what they have .. kind of reluctant to plant one this early in the season.
My pic is in todays paper from the book signing on Friday evening, will scan it and post it later ..

Take care

~M~

Guess we'll have to take the day as it comes today .. the kids will be coming back again today .. may get them to help with some clean up of the large bows felled yesterday ..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 15, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9083036

Shew !! I haven't scanned something to file for a long time, am surprised my 'wee bean' actually remembered the steps to follow.
Anywho .. here's the pic .. Michael called to say he thinks I look like PAULA DEENS .. again .. kind of an 'inside joke' with some folks here in TBay .. it's all in the hair LoL

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 15, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9083059

Oohhh "M"' lovely photo, such a pretty lady, yes you. Lol
Now I now a celebrity!

Must go put on the news and see where the storms have hit..

So many worse things kids can do..we have to remember we all had a trend we followed...mine wasn't too bad, I dressed in black slacks and Ben Casey blouse for nearly a year...I was so hung up n him. Lol and drove my grandparents mad for playing 'he has the whole world in his hands' at high volume..back then don't think there were too many things that would have shocked anyone..ah maybe smoking but I never was interested in that.

Should go look to see if I got an email answer Re fern peony.

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 15, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9083080

Betty ask the grower how big the plants are and how soon she would expect flower. If they are a good size they should flower following year. Even herbacious roots may not flower for a couple of years if they are not very big.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 15, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9083101

Hasn't gotten back to me yet, if I don't hear by tomorrow will call a few local nurseries and see if one can be ordered..
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 15, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9083455

hi ladies, been a rough couple of weeks...mom passed on the 10th. in and out of the hosp. but then developed pneumonia, passed 2 days later.
read up on the posts, all about the fern-leaf peony, i know most nurseies charge' an arm and a leg' for them. probably best to see if anyone can find you a piece.
weather here has cooled, had the tomatos out yesterday for awhile, but will have to keep them in till it warms up a bit.
take care all
L

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 15, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9083556

~M~ - you Do sorta look like Paula Deens!! hmmmmmmmmm send me your autograph (Paula) and I'll sell it on Ebay LOL
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 15, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9083583

Popping in again to say "Hi". I don't come here often, but did renew my sub awhile ago. So nice to see another Manitoban. My sincere condolences on the passing of your mother, Lindy. Or is it Linda?

All this talk about the fernleaf peony, I just had to come and mention that Lindenberg's used to always have them in their catalogue for a reasonable price. Susan, 35 is not an unreasonable price. I have seen them much higher. Marilynne and Lind if you are close enough to come over, I could give you a small one or piece of one. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to garden much again, so better some of my treasures thrive in someone elses gardens, than to smother here in the weeds.

Carol, I am so sorry for what you are going through. Chemo is bad enough the first time around, but a repeat performance? You are way tough, lady.

I'm sure there are others that I have a special greeting for, but will just have to leave it a general hello allround for now. Hope you are having a great weekend. Birds are singing outside my open window, so nice.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 15, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9083587

Oh Lindy, my condolenscence on the death of your mom..oneumonia must have been working its deadly deed for quite some time...how old was shemifmyou don't mind my asking? Do you have siblings and do you all live in the same area?

Difficult time for you and your family.sending prayers and sift hugs!

Keep checking emails re fern but again no response..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 15, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9083595

Echoes, always nice seeing you drop in..omg you've a fern peony?? How old is it..

Sorry to hear that your gardens are starting to be too much for you..this is the first year I've kind of thought mine are as well..nothing like the sound of birdies signing to you.

Called for thunderstorms, had but a few drops of rain..sky is dark and day not over yet so who knows.

Kids just called,mooing to see Titanic I. D-d and asked if I wanted to go, said no but am now second guessing myself..they always ask and I never go..should really!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 15, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9083599

omygoodness Lindy - sorry to hear about your mom's passing. It happened awfully quickly too... Consistently laying down will cause fluid build-up in the lungs, and therefore pneumonia, I guess...
Come talk here anytime, and we're "here for you".

Hey Echoes!! Good to see you - will have to give you a call! It sure was great to see you in Dec when I went to see my family!!!! We'll have to do a "repeat"

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 15, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9083700

Lindy, my most sincere condolences .. a horrible loss is that of a Mum ... HUGS

Brenda .. OH I so wish I could get into your gardens .. and you never know .. I may yell 'ROAD TRIP' one day.
Have you had your surgery as of yet ?

Kids were over all afternoon .. sending along a pic of them with my son on the MULE ..

Susan .. oh to have Paula Deens $$$$$$$$$$$ LoL

TTFN

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 15, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9083730

Lindy Very sorry to hear of your Mom's passing! You will surely miss her.

Brenda, good to hear from you again. Welcome back
"M" you DO look like PD. Nice looking family sitting on Lorna's toy.

I will be hunting for a fernleaf P this year. I do see them around but they are pricey so will have to be in the right/wrong frame of mind.
Carol did you get almost a foot of snow this weekend? Mom was saying that's what they got out in Springbank.

Alberta Ann

lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 15, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9084110

echoes nice to see your post, and you are right about lindenberg seeds. in this years catalouge there are double fern leaf peonies [the double are very rare] for 39.99. i have purchased from them before, great service, but they're not on line.. but you can call for a free catalouge, brandon manitoba, 204-727-0575.
thanks all for the kind words, mom just turned 86, and had been failing for some time.
she had cancer, and diabetes, although thankfully no pain at all. it's been a tough few weeks, but thankfully spring is here, and i'm keeping busy !
take care all !
linda [lindy]

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 15, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9084148

Linda - good to know that you mom didn't suffer with pain.
Remember, we're here whenever you want to vent in any way...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #9084260

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! We have SNOW and LOTS of it here in Thunder Bay .. the dogs are in HEAVEN .. but .. we have an early appt so .. SHOVELS HO !!!
Cruel trick to play on the Robins :-(

Take care all

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 16, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9084265

Just heading out to work "M"

Was so cold over the weekend, had a surprise when I went to it Sailor out this morning..it's 68 degrees...sorry about your snow!
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9084398

'morning, forgot to add..lindenberg has free shipping over 40.$ or for a fee xpress shipping. reasonable prices.
the weather is cool right now -7 but high of 3 today. sunny though.
need to get the tomatos out on the deck in the little zip-up greenhouse, or they're going to start stretching ! they look good so far, can't wait for the first tomato sandwich !
cheers L

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 16, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9084595

mmmmmmmmmmmm tomato sandwiches...
Growing up in Winnipeg my dad had a prolific tomato patch and we always had boxes of tomatoes at the end of the season - fried tomatoes on toast... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm my favouite.
Can you believe I live in a province where it's difficult to grow tomatoes????? Not impossible, just... difficult...
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9084603

Mar, you know if you get to Wpg again, you are expected to make a visit. Just hope it won't be in winter and under better circumstances this time. How is Lorna doing?

I am still waiting for surgery. On the "short list" I suppose, but you know how the beaurocracy works. Waiting must whittle the list down some. I am passing my promised 6-8 weeks (said the surgeon) this week, with no date yet.

Lindy, my fernleaf peonies are doubles. I tried to get a single a few years ago, but the one I got in trade had no root to speak of and didn't take. I think you see more doubles than singles. If you bring me a tomato sandwich, I may have a perennial or two that you would like.

Alberta Ann, my son and his family are in the process of moving to Stony Plain from northern BC. I may just get to Edmonton for a visit this summer. A much shorter trip for us, but still too far away to have grandkids.

Brenda

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 16, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9084619

I get first choice of tomatoes, love mine when I can make a sandwhich with one that is just starting to ripen..mouth watering here.

Brenda, sorry to hear that you've such a long wait for surgery, think every province is hurting in that department...such long waits from the time you see a specialist to time of surgery.

Called 2 nurseries, they don't order in and not sure they will have the fern peony..now the Garden Gallery says their shipment of plants/shrubs/trees comes in 2 weeks and there may be one but cannot confirm.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 16, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9084631

Hey Brenda - guess you must be out in your garden enjoying the beautiful weather?!?!
Tried to call you. Will try again later
Sorry about the wait for surgery - how frustrating is that?!?! Sending hugs your way...
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9084642

brenda, if i have a year like last year, i will bring you a sampler of every variety i have.
betty, give lindenberg a call, maybe they can help you out. or hang on a bit, maybe one of us can find you a piece...i'll ask around. the season is still early!
it's 11:00, warmed up enough to get the tomatos out...great !!!!
have a happy day, all you lovely canadian gardening ladies !

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 16, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9084691

And YOU have a happy day too, Linda (you lovely Canadian gardening lady!!)
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9084807

Hey Brenda if you get out this way give me a call. Happy to have you over. Carol was the last one to come by and then it was Inanda (Giny) before that. I know that Viann has waved on the way over but not too many folks make a point of coming up to Edmonton.

I do think I will call the Lindenberg folks a call.
Alberta Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9084818

Wrote a message, lost the message ..

2 pics of weather here today .. feeling SO bad for the Robins :-(

Compare the pic I posted yesterday to these 2 .. almost the SAME area of the property !!!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 16, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9084822

ahhhhhhhh snow, snow, snow... we're "getting rid" of ours, but we're also back and forth with good and bad weather.
Sometimes it can't decide if it's rain, or snow we're getting... lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9084916

Forgot to reply to Brenda re Lorna .. good memory, but, SHORT !!
Lorna is also playing the waiting game .. has a bad right knee (her only one) and has an appt for an MRI in JUNE .. until then .. deal with it .. kinda difficult when you have but ONE leg to stand on.
I sure hope your wait is almost over .. can imagine you're nervous .. I have YET to make an appt to have a wisdom tooth out .. the 2 teeth I had out in January about did me in !! All because of MENOPAUSE I'm told ... lovely ...

Still haven't called the nurseries here re the Fern leaved Peony .. I guess the snow today has sorta dampened my spirits re planting ..

Liver is done and bagged, 2 very happy dogs in the house ...

Off to rattle some pots and pans ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 16, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9084948

Wow, it's 79F here with gusts between 90-100kl, looked at weather for tomorrow and it's 39F
explain that??? Not good news for Lorna, you would think they would have more compation and because of risk of cancer they would rush her in..poor care system!

So we are all on the lookout for Fern Peony's..see what some garden angel started..lol
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9084971

Lindsay D'Aoust (http://www.paeonia.com/index.htm) was selling double fern leaf roots last year for $45.00 Of course she might not have any this year but I will keep an eye out for the new cata logue. If she still is selling it this year it would be a g ood buy because she generally has huge roots. They are dug and shipped in fall. Incidentally the proper name is you are looking at on line sellers( the best source IMO) is Peony tenuifolia.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 16, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9085105

Yikes, stopped into my nursery up the road, said likely he could order one in $120.00..attendant showed me a peony, yellow in bloom for $79.99 kept inside..said there were some out back with 1 bed..good for up to zone 2. Very hardy

Did end up coming home with a phlox..$24.99 called sherbet cocktail

http://www.cgf.net/plants.aspx?id=8&hid=6&genus=PHLOX

Last year bought some variegated leafed and they didn't grow very tall and small flowers..perhaps they were dwarfs

Sooo still on lookout for the fern

Thought tomorrow I might put an add on Craigslist and kijiji in hopes someone wants to sell a shoot at reasonable amount of $$$$

Could have gone crazy over the metal art pieces though

Carol, did you buy anythingu at the show?

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 5:16 PM
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9085262

No Betty I did not buy anything.!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 16, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9085370

Thought you would have come home with pretties..nothing tempt you?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9085389

Yes a few iron pieces did but I got sort of tired and left early and just did not bother to go back and look again! Truthfully I don't need anything new! Although if the fountain guy had been there it might have been different!

I really like phlox, have been buying for past few years, one of my anchor plants in the front garden. Peonies, phlox,iris and lilies plus bits and pieces of other things of course but those are the main ones.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 6:25 PM
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9085490

Carol I believe you also have the Gentian in your front. You got me hooked on it and mine was just getting showy last year. Lots of folks asked what that blue flower was!
Alberta Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9085509

I have several different gentians, both blue and white. But my neighbor Marie has the best and biggest one!
Don't know why mine won't get like this they both face east although maybe the ants nest underneath had something to do with it!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 16, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9085555

Wow - that's a gorgeous blue!
I wouldn't be surprised if it's the ant nest that's interfering with your gentian.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 17, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9085684

Morning all..high winds last night,
Running late but wanted to wave

Omg please/please no more tempting me, now I have to look up gentian

Gab when I get to work

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 17, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9085799

I am in 3a .. and Carol, you are as well .. I wonder if the Gentian would grow here ?
Am wondering if it's the plant used in Gentian Violet .. used to use that as a med for Thrush Mouth back in the day .. may still do so ..
The pic is just flippin gorgeous !!

Sunny and cool here today .. but .. the snow has STOPPED .. but 39F .. OMG !!!!! WOuld imagine the air conditioners will be running full tilt !!!

~M~
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 17, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9086233

morning, that blue is wonderful !!!! i always find blues, whites and soft pinks so soothing.
hubby likes orange flowers lol...took me awhile to plant hot colors, so i compromise and
plant the hots in the full-sun front yard. and leave the cool colors for the patio.

weathers cool...not too bad, maybe rain later. put the matos out on the deck, hoping the cool temps slow them down a bit.

carol, i've never grown phlox, i thought they go mildewy, is there one you'd recommend to try ? is there a white ? i'm thinking of a white flower bed beside the patio.
and if anyone can think of a good white please, let me know !!!
cheers L
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 17, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9086494

Lindy Phlox paniculata David is a well known white. I couldn't tell you what the rest are - I have a lot!
And there are different types and heights from creeping types to the old fashioned type which are very tall.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 17, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9086502

My Phlox is white and very perfumey .. and .. it grows like mad in an east facing garden, and, a southerly one as well.
I tend to think they are very hearty.

Still thinkin about that Gentian .. my gosh .. just beautiful ..

Lorna had her prosthetic leg lined and cushioned today, so far it seems to be 'kinder' to her ..

Very cool here .. but sunny .. more moisture in either the white or clear form is expected in the next 24 hours ...

Off to whip together a cullinary miracle

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 17, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9086511

ah - a "kinder" leg and a Mule - what more could one ask for? lol

What culinary miracle are you whipping up? I just finished making Hearty Potato Soup (with celery, carrots and onions) yummmmm - lots of calories here LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 17, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9086586

Hmmmmm .. 2 Mules LoL .. then we'd have a MULE TEAM!!!

Made Quiche, my 'go to' dish when I am totally clued out .. always have eggs and cheese in the fridge, as well I had green onion and broccoli and some ham as well .. turned out A OK ..

Off to play my Scrabble games ..

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 17, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9086598

LOL - well, neither you, or Lorna are stubborn, so guess you'd have to buy another Mule LOL
Do you ever ride it? It seems to be quite popular to the "kids" and Lorna lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9087168

Yep .. I drive it and am a bit more adventurous on it than Lorna as we had a quad when Murray was in his teens .. loved that thing .. I find Lorna is a bit reluctant to 'push the envelope' on the Mule, but, rightly so .. she has to watch what she's doing. Gord always makes sure she carries a cell phone with her, or, one of us is with her if she goes way out back to dump bows/debris ..

ANOTHER windy day here .. and snow mixed with rain at the moment .. am thinking it may be a stay at home day .. no one is up yet cept me .. I was up at 6:30am .. had 2 furry little bodies just busting at their seams to get outside as one of their BIG beach balls had hit the fence and they thought a MONSTER was lurking out there LoL

Enjoy youe day everyone

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 18, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9087272

Morning..posted yesterday reply re phlox and it must be lost in cyber space

The new genetics of the phlox makes them a lot less moldy..I try to water mine more at the base . I'm anxious to see what the new one will look like in bloom..Icecream Sherbet..mouth watering here.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 18, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9087282

oops lost post again..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 18, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9087289

will be dropping into the nursery tomorrow night for a couple of shrubs..owner said he thought he had another new color..called 'peppermint' so will pick one one..I'm excited to see this year what my new phlox 'icecream sherbet' will look like

as you can see my favorites are phlox..

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9087332

Lovely pics Betty.

Our rescue email site was hacked into yesterday and when I opened up on Tuesday I could not get into site - had to change password - discovered a message had been sent out in my name to all the some 200 contact list saying I was in Scotland and had been robbed of everything please send money, dont phone, phone stolen too( I dont carry a cell phone!) please send $$ so I can get home.!!!!! This is a really old scam - I have had it many times from a variety of locations. Of course anybody on that list who knows me knows I was certainly not in Scotland! However it turned out all the contact list and some 5000 emails had also disappeared! So I could not send out a blast email to warn. Between some on my personal email and posting on websites where I had contacts I did manage to contact a fair number of people, also many people emailed back to check and some even phoned me! Spent most of the day on the computer or the phone! Have emailed yahoo to ask they say they may be able to restore the emails if it is within 48 hours so worth a try. Hope that includes the contact list but dont know - rebuilding a contact list is a real bummer!

A message was also put on our Facebook page - I told the person who is the admin she could post it was a scam but people could still send me the $$! LOL!

Fortunately we only have two dogs at the moment and one is not yet posted for adoption, the other we are in the adoption process and these documents are in my personal list of documents or the adoptions coordinator so the most important things are not lost! Many of those lost emails are probably not very important but I do find myself going back from time to time looking for a name or contact information.

The pic is Orange Perfection- rather hard to find, I have a couple, hope they survived our snowless winter.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 18, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9087348

that's a bummer Carol..can't believe that some people actually fall for these scams! Hope they can get your contact list back, that would be terrible if they couldn't. I never back up my files, good lesson, guess I should!

ohhh love the Orange Perfection, will be on the lookout for it. There is also a deep blue, bought one, didn't survive..would like to replace this year

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 18, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9087369

Carol, pepermint twise

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9087433

carol..sorry to hear of your troubles, and at a rescue yet !! as my hubby says 'should be shot and p'd on' !!!!
nice pics of the phlox...great colors too, i'll have to check them out.
strange hearing the weather around the country... we had cool temps and rain last night but this morning the sun is out and its warming. got tired of tripping over the trays of tomatos, so i put them out. sun feels warm so should be ok. these plants sure aren't beeing 'babied' !
started seeding petunias...my hands were too shaky for those teeny seeds, try again today
cheers L

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 18, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9087436

Lindy, thinking it's cold here as well, if it were a regular spring and we not had summer temps in March we'd be thinking it was a perfect April day..sure got spoilt.

I bought vine seeds so last night we the paper towels, set seeds on them..set into zip lock bags and put them on back bedroom so the sunshine coming in can do it's thing.

Won't be long until germination I'm sure..
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9087480

Have to look for that one Betty!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 18, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9087519

Carol - terrible about the scam!!
Fella I worked with said he got one of those emails, and the person it was "from" was a boarder in the same house LOL Needless to say, he Knew the person wasn't in Holland!!
Sure hope Yahoo can give you all your data back! 5000 emails and 2000 contacts is not something to "sneeze" at.
Maybe for future, back the data up? I know you can export your contact list from Yahoo.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9087554

Yes really I have been careless not to back up the contacts! Would not bother with the emails as really probably 90% of them or more dont matter - mostly enquiries about dogs and if somebody has actually sent in an application it isforrwarded elsewhere and stored in my personal documents - all specific dog information is printed and in the dogs files so the most important stuff is actually either on paper or in my own document files.

But I must admit I rarely ever back up my own stuff!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 18, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9087557

I'm the same, Carol - it's terrible to rely on these computers as much as we do, but it's a "human" failing, eh?
I should back everything up now...
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9087598

hi ladies

if you really, really, want to slap someone
do it
just remember to say,
mosquito

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 18, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9087618

Just told my DH and then slapped him (not hard - just a tap to say I Did) - he thought it was funny!! LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 18, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9087624

lol!!!!

Went to Garden Gallery, biggest garden center this side of Toronto..just getting stock in..doubtful they will bring in fern peony, tried for the phlox 'pepermint twist and orange perfection, no go..did see carpet roses thought $29.99 ..actually went to look for frogs seeing I am in a swap but none were really catching my eye AND those that did were so heavy the shipping would be too much. It did provide for a nice lunch though.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 18, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9087651

Betty - couldn't you use your small camper to tow more plants home? LOL (I'm Such an enabler!!) LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 18, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9087667

don't you encourage me Susan..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 18, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9087679

LOL and why not? LOL

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9087778

Still in Vancouver but we fly back this afternoon. Will have more grandkids pics when I GET BACK (oops). I tried to read all above, but there's too much there; so I'm starting over. Woke up to rain this morning, but the sun has just come out. Of course. my sunglasses are packed in my suitcase (inside a sock inside a sturdy shoe) and not accessible.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 18, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9087783

Well packed for sure Viola..looking forward to seeing photos..nice seeing all the children growing/hearing of their antics. Sun is out here but still quite cool..hoping the wind has died down so I can at least put an hour of garden work in.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 18, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9087795

Just heard that Dick Clark died today - 82 yo, of a massive heart attack
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/dick-clark-entertainment-icon-nicknamed-americas-oldest-teenager/story?id=16076252

Here's a pic of one of his houses he put up for sale last month - very Flinstone-esque a la Fred & Wilma
http://www.zillow.com/blog/2012-03-13/yabba-dabba-dick-clarks-flintstone-esque-house-for-sale/
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9087808

No mosquitos here yet and no one has bugged me enough to use that excuse but I will remember it.
Carol, Nasty hackers! That is the lovely blue. Alpines are always hardy for us too and I'm hoping my small patch will be a bigger showing this year. They tend to flower a bit later too if I remember correctly.
Temps are hovering around 0 these days so I have the heater on in the G house at night and cover my starts so they don't get a big shock. Still have some more tender ones in the house. One begonia is flowering and so i don't want to set it back any by getting it cold. Even with these cooler temps I am going to have to transplant the 2 inches to bigger pots this weekend as the roots are all coming out the bottom and I don't want them root bound this early. I think I will go the the 3.5 inch pots next. Boy I sure like the heat mats as they really encourage root growth.

Viann , those G babies sure kept you busy this week...youve been very quiet. Looking forward to some photo's.
Ablerta Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9087876

Scammers ... just unreal how they can feel justified and even HAPPY (cocky) about what they've done, as though they are a 'cut above' all us other computer users .. makes me so angry.
AND, i do not back up anything either sad to say :-(

I had a totally blah day .. I baked a cake, watched a movie, and made supper .. never went outside the door !! So much heavy rain , felt bad for the dogs ..
Will make up for this lazy day tomorrow ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 18, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9088037

Omg, I don't believe this and wouldn't if someone told me this but last night after work I put vine seeds in wet paper towels, put into ziplock bags and they already have long sprouts..how could that be???

Called Cypress vine..actually went back in posts because surely it must have been last week but nope

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 18, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9088046

only thing I can think Betty, is that the seeds were fresh - if they weren't, I'm sure they would have taken more time to sprout...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 18, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9088071

Package said fast growing but that is a bit much! Wonder if my wetting the paper towel in hot water might have helped. Seeds were $4.99 a pkg so perhaps better quality..that room gets sunshine all day long and quite hot..add all things together and you get sprouts in a day...should look at my seed packets and try another one..maybe the 20 cent pkgs I got in buffalo.

In extreme pain tonight, bathed, took painkillers and going to bed..not going to go in tomorrow or Friday..

Waving to all
Night night

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 18, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9088077

Betty - hope you get rest for that pain... and that the painkillers work well.
Good plan to not go in tomorrow or Friday...
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9088088

Betty
I find that is the best method for starting all the seeds that I have that are big enough to see. I hope you enjoy the Cypress vine I too grew them a couple of years ago and would be interested in hearing what you think of them.
Take care of that pain Betty ! I hope that sleep will give you a break from that nasty stuff.
Alberta Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9088124

Took Abby to the vet today- not my regular vet clinic but a new clinic started earlier this year by my favorite vet - she had never been seen at the other clinic. She confirmed my impression that Abby had early cataracts. But the big thing of course is her teeth. Abby was surrendered to the rescue 2 years ago and I adopted her - she had already had many teeth pulled and they were pretty bad. However recently I notice she is having a harder time eating dry kibble so I have been soaking with broth. Teeth are really really bad and vet would like to pull most of them as she thinks she will feel much better and I have to agree. Abby is 15 years old. We did blood work today- if there are any signs of kidney or liver disease she will not do it - anaesthetic too risky.
She has a lot of arthitis in her back legs too which are somewhat deformed but we dont know why - vet thinks there must have been an injury years ago although the previous owner denied it to me when we took her in.
The pic was taken last October

Thumbnail by fancyvan

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9088239

Carol as always, she is such a sweet dog. She looks so alert and her coat looks lovely, you are doing a bang up job looking after her. Do Bailey and she still look like dopple gangers, except for the ears?
I've always had a soft spot for Shelties they have the most loving look and if I could do dog hair I would certainly be a home for one or two of them. As it is I am enjoying my Cleo and her non alergenic self.

Just had a panic with Cleo as I thought I had found a cavity when I was cleaning her teeth on the weekend. I have dental tools and regularly scrape off the tarter. I booked a visit to my vet on Tuesday getting there with a back brace on as I had put my back out on the Saturday. Didn't they come out get Cleo and I, help us in, then it had been a false alarm and it was my eyesight that was wrong and it was just the way some tarter had lined up on one tooth!. Vet fixed it and gave me a hug then the girls took Cleo back out to my car. Vet only charged me 22.00, said she had not had a dog in that was so good to work on their teeth and most of them had to be sedated so she was very generous with her time. I had visions of a $1,000. vet bill! What a lovely surprise.

Alberta Ann

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9088256

Yes Ann they still look like twins - the lst pic was taken July 2010 not long after Abby came to live with us -( and near the time we last came to Edmonton) The 2nd was taken in Feb 2011- don't have a more recent one.

Thumbnail by fancyvan   Thumbnail by fancyvan

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9088274

Carol they are gorgeous!
Only the ears tell them apart and a few little bits here and there.
Are the trips to Edmonton on the backburner this year? Do the girls up here still get together?
Was this one of your girls who won their group at Westminister this year? I think it was an Alberta Sheltie wasn't it?

Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 18, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9088309

I think Shelties are the most delicate, loveable looking dogs - just love 'em!
Abby & Bailey look quite at peace with each other.
Tell me, Carol - are Shelties happier when there is more than one in the house, or are they normally loners/proprietory furries?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9088370

Ann the dog/breeder who won sheltie BOB at Westminster was the daughter of Fancy's breeder- Mystic is the kennel name.
No trips to Edmonton planned but you never know!
Susan I don't know about shelties, depends on the personality as far as most breeds are concerned I think. Bailey was fine as the only dog, he was 5 yrs when Fancy arrived ( same age) it took a long time to get used to each other but they got along well and often wrestled together. I have had other dogs in the house but since Fancy died I have never seen Bailey play with another dog.
But most people who think they should get a 2nd dog so the lst dog has company are probably wrong - when I am not home my dogs sleep and have done so even when they were much younger!

Here's some more- nothing recent.

Thumbnail by fancyvan   Thumbnail by fancyvan   Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 18, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9088374

I also think that just getting another dog so the mourning one has company is wrong...
and furries Do mourn. My "Baby" (cat) mourned her mother for 2 years. Baby was born to us when we had her mother "Smokey". Baby was 2 years old when we had to make the tough decision re: Smokey. Baby looked for Smokey all the time, and actually started licking her tummy clean of fur - obsessive behaviour after her mother was gone... It took a lot of care & love for her to get over her mom's passing.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 19, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9088529

Morning all..great day to stay home, sunshine city it is.

Carol, you can see how well cared for the shelties are. I'm sure their way of thanks is their great companionship. Looking at your furries has me putting my head down in shame, will give Sailor girl a bath and good brushing today. She is just so heavy to lift?

Alberta Ann, I'm with you, just shutter when nearing a vets office. Glad you came out with dollars still in your pocket.

I've probably a day of work left on my stained glass piece for cousin Linda (Christmas gift) so just might do a bit here and there, would be nice to see it finished..another 2 or 3 window panels and all my scraps likely will be used up..soon sewing/ stained glass and decorative painting will all be set aside for gardening and not returned to until fall.

Off to make muffins
Enjoy your day

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 19, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9088797

mmmmmm muffins! I have some here - bought from WM, and very fresh - will have one with you!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 19, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9089164

Should have gone to walmart for muffins Susan, got sidetracked and didn't make them!
Sooo I'll have one of yours!

Stayed home and did accomplish a bit..after hanging my head in shame yesterday managed to get Sailor into the tub, she frets so but once she's being bathed she relaxes and enjoys.

Worked and finished the stained glass piece..bit too modern and bright for me but Linda will love it!

Then made a circular glob with dragonfly to set as main focus in another piece I will start..sister wants one, asked her for the size but didn't get it so while I wait I'll make another..always someone who wants to give it a home! Lol

Cathy came over for a few hours, she comes to let the furries out and was surprised to see me home. I had bought her fleece as a gift for watching the furries when last I went to Buffalo..thought she might like to make her mom a fleece blanket for mothers day, Lordy it didn't take more than 1 1/2 hrs. She was thrilled with the outcome!

How is your day going

Think I'll put my head down for a bit..kitty just put her head on my lap so think she also wants to snooze

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 19, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9089169

The muffins are those Large one - Buttertart, Cinnamon Coffee Cake, and Double Chocolate - $5.00 nine total... not bad, eh? Sorry, but the Double Chocolate are all gone, and just one left of each of the other 2

Still sneezing, and blowing nose - keep using Neti Pot and that helps... lots of drugs, and coffee, tea, and home made potato soup... good for what ails ya!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 19, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9089194

sorry to hear you are under the weather Susan..drats sure would have enjoyed some of those goodies..

Cathy and her blanket for her mom
Linda's stained glass piece -ultra modern...lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 19, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9089201

Cathy must be so proud of her accomplishment! It looks great

I Could Not get rid of my headache (head cold, ya know...) even though I'd taken some tylenol... until Bob suggested rubbing Muscle Mist on my temples... worked like a charm. Now, if only I can stop my sneezing...aaaaaaaaaachOOO
and watery eyes... just no energy - do anything, and it wears me out - even walking from living room to computer room. Bob's playing an RP game and he has to close it in order to search out what to do next, so he has me research stuff on my computer (I'm a faster typist...) so I generally stay at my computer so I don't have to move much...
Still, I'm handquilting a lap quilt for Leland, and it gives me time to view "The Good Witch's Garden" - movie's on right now...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 19, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9089245

Abby's blood work is all normal so will start antibiotics this evening and she goes on Monday - will probably pull most if not all of her teeth. Guess I better go get some canned food for her.
Also putting her on Metacam hoping it will help with the arthritis in her back legs.

Lovely day today - I worked in the garden for several short periods. Went and voted this afternoon- a neighbor was going to the advance poll and called to ask if I wanted to come so that is done.

Also broke down and called Telus re call display - until now I just wait until the answering maching kicjks in and then pick up if it is somebody I want to talk too. The rep apparently changed my account to something different that he said would be cheaper and long distance ( which I rarely use) would be 5cents a minute.Might be cheapoer also to change my TV from Shaw to Telus but I will have to go check my bills ( everything is on the computer and it was not on when I talked to telus) and she if I want to bother changing. I hate changing things like that even if it does save some money!

Supposed to be 20C by Sunday!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 19, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9089250

It's 11 now, and will be 21 on Monday, they say

If you change to Telus, will you have to change your ph#?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 19, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9089399

Susan my phone is already Telus- it is just the TV service he was talking abut.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 19, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9089414

oh - okay, understood
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 20, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9090343

Carol Metacam is a wonder drug for dogs, Our Tramp was on it and it made the difference of being able to do a small set of stairs or no stairs at all. I felt so much better as she was able to get up and laydown much more quickly and more often. Look out though as her stool was looser and I know that your girl has a long coat.

We have just combined our phone with our Cable. We will save about 20.00 per month. Plus all our canada calls are not long distance if they are to another Shaw customer. Some other plus's but at any rate I was anoyed with Telus so we switched.

Supposed to get warm here this weekend too. Looking forward to repotting a pile of 2inch to 4 inch this weekend. They need the root room.
Happy weekend all
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 20, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9090402

geeze, Ann - we have our phone, internet & TV bundled with Shaw and we don't pay for LD to Canada OR US - flat fee of $45 gets us all LD free.
In Winnipeg Telus mall booths were always empty - Telus did not have a good rep in Manitoba...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 20, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9090764

Might have to shave up Abby's bum and back legs if that happens! We keep Sassys real short after she had diarrhea last summer and it was hard to control- had to wash her bum 1-2 times a day which she did not appreciate!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 20, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9090874

Carol , I was remembering that so I thought to give you heads up on it. Maybe it was only our Tramp or old age but ... it was a nice tool to give that girl a nice summer. She was fairly blind and couldn't hear anything but the fridge door. We had her for 17 of her 18 years. We also claimed she was a cross between a coyote and a weasel , a stray that my husband brought in. Very cool dog that was amazingly loyal and kind and could escape from just about anything or anywhere, we should have called her Houdini.

We have sun shining after a dark cloudy afternoon, things are looking up for the weekend with temps and I do believe I will be in the G house all day tomorrow. Put my back out last weekend and slowly have been getting better this week only to be a dummy by enjoying the heated back things and burned my back. Hubby noticed this am that I have blisters down on my lower back. Same pattern as the darn back things. OOOOPPPPS. The blisters don't hurt nearly as much as my back did. I sure have some empathy for those of you who have this on a regular basis.
At any rate transplanting the little plants will not hurt my back. So all is good.
Off to putz around the yard to see if anything is up.
Alberta Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 20, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9091017

Another nice day although windy and apparently it is heading for 20C or higher by the weekend.
Got out into the garden again for a little bit today. Almost all my Hepaticas are blooming and a lot of little bulbs, Peonies are slowly starting to show. Bought a couple of metal lattices today to set up in the bed by the back gate for the sweet peas. Grass is starting to green up - looks like it will be pretty bad this year, Bailey pees on one side, Abby and Sassy on the other and Sassy does a 'walking' pee so speads it over a large area!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 21, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9091223

Morning all,

Rained during the night, sky is dark , likely drizzly all day but things seems greener. Would so love to get outside and put in a few hours gardening! I so love vines, have climbing gates here and there but no luck with mornimg glorious or sweet peas..I envy your gardens...

Ooohhh blisters? To bad we all didn't have sense when it comes to out health..seems we fight the pain and take on more than we should.

Hoping you all have a sunshine day and get to play in your gardens

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 21, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9091273

Sunny here, but not expected to get to much more than perhaps 8C .. darned north winds !!

Probably get out onto the property and do some more branch/bow lifting .. be awesome if I knew anyone who was making Xmas wreaths !!

Furries are going for their yearly shots and check ups in the next few weeks .. sure all is well ..

Booked my WISDOM tooth extraction .. May 8th :-( NOT happy about it ... I am 100% WUSS !!!

Hope everyone has a productive and happy/safe weekend

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 21, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9091323

"M". I'm always on the lookout for boughs but doubt they'd last until I need them. Lol
Don't overdo or you will pay..you are back on the mend so perhaps you shouldn't undertake such a project.

Oohh so close to Mother's Day, you may not be feeling the best for eats and treats. Dislike going to dentists, so happy to have dentures..

Called Greg to see if he would take me to Barrie, need strong man and a truck to pick up the Canada Geese trip I bought but he is still snoozing so best I have patience

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 21, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9091573

Ab Ann - ouch on the blisters!! Your back must Really have been hurting for you to not notice the pain of the heat on your back things!! Are you putting salve on the blisters?

Carol - nice that you've gotten blooms! I don't know if I do, as I haven't been out since Mon night - darn cold...!

no Betty - no playing out in my garden - any exertion and I'm into coughing fits... so, sitting at computer, or watching TV and doing hand quilting... nice easy, slow stuff...

Marilyn - guess you'll get to eat a lot of ice cream on the 8th... (grin)

Saw that it's going to be 23 on Sunday/Monday - yikes! That's 73F! looks like we're going to have a nice spring?!?!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 21, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9091599

Ohhh must go check our temps Susan for next week..staying home most of the week so would be nice to sit on back deck

Susan, are you making progress with you hand quilted projects...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 21, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9091615

yes, working on Leland's lap quilt - 5 long rows, and 5 short - am on #3 of the long rows. It's a nice quiet thing to do when I need to sit quietly and "do nothing" so I don't go into coughing fits. Next, I'll do Laura's lap quilt.
Once they're done, I'll bind them off.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 21, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9091684

Some of the blooms. The two large Hepaticas have been in bloom for about a month now.

Thumbnail by fancyvan   Thumbnail by fancyvan   Thumbnail by fancyvan   Thumbnail by fancyvan

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 21, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9091688

AlbAnn .. I, for one, have also been a vicitim to a heating pad that was too hot .. lower back for me .. scalded it pretty good too .. ya's think it'd be a 'live and learn' type of thing, but, sadly, I've done it twice .. the heat is just so soothing .. ..

Went out to work around the yard .. but ended up coming in as the wind is pretty brisk .. hung my clothes on the line, BOY were my fingers cold !!!

Susan .. I sure hope your cold leaves you soon .. good thing you have hand crafts to keep you busy .. not sure re me and the ice cream .. all I seem to want to do for AT LEAST 3 days after I have an extraction is SLEEP, sad to say .. the whole procedure just knocks the wind out of my sails.

Hope you get to Barrie Betty, and, enjoy the upcoming week :-)

I see the 'flower of the day' on Daves today is Gentian .. going to have to read up on it :-)

Including a pic of Piper and Smokey .. they do so love the fire and their beds ^_^

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 21, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9091694

This morning, because of a paper article I dropped by a fair trade fair. A group called Minkha sells hand knitsweaters made by ladies in Bolivia from Alpaca and Cotton wool. I wanted something multicolor in a cardigan that I could wear with pretty much everything. Would have preferred no collar but can't always have everything you want can you!

website is www.minkhasweaters.com - there is a catalogue on the site.

This message was edited Apr 21, 2012 10:54 AM

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 21, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9091733

Piper and Smokey look soooo comfy!

Carol - that sweater looks so cool! Are you one of those people that don't look good in a collar? My neighbour is like that, whereas I look better IN a collar (maybe it's because, like my mom, I will tend to have a "chicken neck" when I'm older? lol)
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 21, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9091739

LOL Susan I prefer collars too but on a cardigan I'd rather not as I usually have a blouse or polo shirt underneath with a collar.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 21, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9091812

ah - gotcha! In that case, I would prefer no collar too - I have some collared blouses and know what you mean by that.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9094411

Sending out the warmest and most sincere best wishes to 'echoes' (Brenda) from Wpg who will be having heart surgery tomorrow in Wpg.

My thoughts and prayers are with you B .. you sure helped me through a rough spot when I was there with Lorna in 2009.

HUGE hugs

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9094444

Brenda. Lots of positive thoughts from here too!!! You have waited for a while, so speedy recovery as well.
Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 23, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9094446

Prayers going out to Brenda , you will keep us updated "M"??? If you get to speak with her before the operation let her know she is in our thoughts..

They have come such a long way with heart surgery..may the Lord watch over the surgeon's hands..

Are any of you getting this winter weather..five drops of rain, wind is up but they say the storm will roll through this region later this evening...praytell, what will the flowers/shrubs think..will it damage this years growth do you think?

Home today, if it doesn't snow I'll run a few hours when my shift is over at 4:30..get supplies out just incase I can't get out tomorrow, other than that trying to finish the stained glass panel I'm doing for my sister..no urgency it's for Christmas. Lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 23, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9094497

Oh Brenda!!!! I tried to phone you, but the line is busy.
Lots and Loads of prayers for you, dear lady!

What time is the surgery?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 23, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9094510

Storm is just approaching now..rain turning to snow..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 23, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9094528

Yikes on the SNOW/rain/sleet... in Ontario!
Today it's supposed to get to 26c here... it's already 20c...

Bob got a call re: resume he sent on Friday - Elite International Foods. They called him in for an interview tomorrow at 9am. They need someone to drive a 5 ton cube van 2 days a week, and be Warehouse Supervisor the other 3 days. Bob's driven a 1 ton, and also personal school buses and U-Haul trucks... so maybe that would qualify him for the 5 ton truck?!?! His driver's licence allows him to drive them - we'll see.about the interview and what transpires.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 23, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9094539

Let's hope they hire him tomorrow, am sure he fits the bill..sounds as though they need a multi talented staff member, one who can do everything..

Throat is sore, off for hot chocolate!

This message was edited Apr 23, 2012 1:57 PM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 23, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9094543

"thread" - you mean "throat"...?!
Are you coming down with a cold, Betty!?
I'll join you in a hot chocolate. Usually have one late at night, but I've been out clearing up my front berm, so need something hot to drink (it's hot outside now! 20c, and promises to be 26c before end of day!)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 23, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9094571

Hard to believe we have snow and you have shorts weather..no wonder everyone is fighting colds, we go from hot and humid to cold brrrr within days if not hours!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 23, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9094596

It's supposed to get cooler tomorrow, with rain on Thursday high of 12c and rain on Friday, with a high of 6c!!
Friday's our Movie Night - hope people come, regardless!
btw - I'm having Ovaltine, not hot chocolate - just seemed more appealing somehow...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9094619

Hope all goes well with you Brenda!

Abby was dropped off at the vet at 8 this morning. The vet called about 11AM to say she was finished and Abby was awake and she did not remove all the teeth - left her something to chew with. I will pick her up in an hur or so.

A gardening friend came over this morning and helped me clean up a couple of the flower beds and get the potting soil in all the pots on the patio. She will come back next week and a couple of others have volunteered also. I have some pansies I can plant right now!

New neighbors (renting) next door - -seems like a nice young couple - we are having an interesting time- they have a young French bulldog named Fara and an older English bulldog named Bronx! When they come out in the yard Fara runs over to the fence and starts barking and one of mine of course has to go to my side of the fence and join in.( there are gaps between the boards) We are working on not letting them learn this behaviour but it is slow going. I usually check to see if their dogs are out before mine are or sometimes I just put mine in the house when they come out. Farah will get tired of running the fence if she does not get any reaction. Sassy is good with 'NO' but of course Bailey cannot hear me so I have to go pull him away.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 23, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9094637

I spoke to Brenda, and her surgery is tomorrow afternoon. She will be staying in the hospital approx 1 week.
Her DH will be posting periodically to Facebook, so guess who will be going onto her facebook? (me, natch!!)
She says he won't be posting right away, but he will do so, periodically...

Good that you're planting now, Carol - it's supposed to rain by Thursday (isolated rain tomorrow?!?)
By now you likely have Abby home - Is she groggy from the anesthetic (sp)?
At one point, weren't you going to learn "doggy sign language" for Bailey? I remember a friend in Winnipeg had the same issue with her hearing-loss dog, and sign-language was fine, as long as she was looking at my friend... lol
I'd never heard of a French bulldog... will have to google to see what the difference in looks are...
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9094922

Bags are packed, just a few more little things to take care of tonight. All ready for the "Big Vacation". I hear they bring you food and drinks, and rub your back. You can just sit back and relax. Sounds like a week at a resort, right?

Thanks for all of your good wishes and prayers. I really appreciate them.

B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 23, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9094938

Brenda - yes, hope they treat you well! Bring your laptop, write a famous short story, write your Thank You speech to Yale and Harvard for their honouring you with a dinner... oh, I could go on and on about the relaxing things you can do!
Well, enjoy your time rehabing, and know we'll be thinking of you as you have your surgery, and recovering...
I'll check FB for your DH's updates..
btw - do they bring you Mojitos (you Did say drinks)?

Know that I will be saying prayers for you tomorrow afternoon and afterwards during your recovery - the Greatest Surgeon of All will be watching over your earthly surgeons.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2012 4:25 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 23, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9094964

You will also be in my thought and prayers..guess it could be seen as a vacation of sorts, once fully recovered you'll enjoy all the things you've put off due to lack of energy..you'll be doing the happy dance before long..

Rest well tonight..we will all be waiting for updates!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 23, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9094980

Brenda told me she won't be on DG, but her DH will be posting updates on FB - I'll pop on there and see what he puts there. I'll copy/paste for here.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 23, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9094990

Thanks Susan!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9095116

Susan Bailey knows - and has always known - lots of hand signals - but they dont work if the dog is not looking at you! LOL! We manage!

Abby was a bit wobbly when I picked her up - 8 teeth out so she still has some. She got out of the car and peed for what seemed like about 5 minutes! ! She ate a small supper and has slept most of the rest of the time. She will be fine.

Next week I will take foster Sassy in and see what the vet thinks. Previous vets have not wanted to give her an anaesthetic because of the tumor on her chest. But she has lived so much longer than anticipated that probably we will do the dental anyway - if she does not survive it will not be a big surprise, if she gets thru it OK we may consider putting her up for adoption as a special needs dog.

To cancer clinic tomorrow to see doc. Start of last chemo cycle on Wed!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 23, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9095144

Yes Carol - I know, from my friend in Winnipeg with her deaf dog, that she used to get so frustrated when she wasn't looking and couldn't see the hand signals lol
They say that furries won't "go" until they're home and safe, so I guess Abby "held" it until then... must have been a Great Relief lol
Hopefully they will agree to do dental work on Sassy - I'm sure she'll feel better for it!
Well, last of the chemo cycles, eh? How long is a cycle again? 3/4 weeks?
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9095258

Carol
Wow, LAST one. Good job on forging through these weeks and weeks of treatment! Now the end of that is in sight.
All of us feel better when our mouths don't hurt so I'm sure that would be the same for our pets.

Susan , yes please, on keeping us in the loop from Brenda's facebook. I do know that when my Dad had bypass surgery years ago he felt so much better after the initial "get better" from the operation that he couldn't believe how awful he had been feeling before.

We had a great day today, not the 24 that was promised but a much happier temp for the G house. Have about 400 plants growing on and seeded about another 80 tonight. So will hope we don't have any snow in the forcast.
Alberta Ann

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9095320

Oh Ann last cycle but still 3 treatments to go and then it will probably take another couple of weeks before my taste buds start to get back to normal. Am sure looking forward to that!\

Thats a lot of plants-where will they all go - mostly in the containers?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 23, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9095321

As her surgery isn't until tomorrow afternoon, and her DH likely won't be posting on FB until maybe the next day, I will let you know as soon as I have anything.

We got to 26 today! It's almost 9:30, and still 20c! What a day!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 24, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9095947

https://forms.manitoba-ehealth.ca/sbh/wellwishes/default.php

The above link will allow you to send Brenda an email to the hospital ... her name is Brenda Magill .. you do NOT need the room #, the volunteers at Saint Boniface will take the email to her, or her hubby.
Most likrly she'll be in ICU for a couple of days .. all I can say is I feel bad fretting over a dental extraction while Brenda and Carol are facing their health issues .. time to BUCK UP ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 24, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9095979

Thank you, Marilyn, for posting this!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 24, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9096018

Thanks "M".. Isn't technology grand...
How right you are, laying cuddled on the couch with flannel blanket throat sore, feverish etc what a winner I've become!!

Enjoying between naps rain then sleet, few furries then wind, then hint of sunshine all in one hour!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 24, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9096046

Betty - how did you get this nasty cold? Lots of hot ginger tea... do you like hot toddys?
Lets hope it warms up - sure that's where you got chilled... the weather change.
If you were already feeling "low" then the chill would make worse what you were getting anyway.
What's the temp there now? Keep warm!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 24, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9096049

Likely from Cathy whose father was deathly I'll with it..remember I had to go pick up the geese right? She called me yersterday and she was down with it!

Just can't warm up..no ginger tea but another neocitrin might hit the spot!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 24, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9096072

Are you taking the Nighttime Neocitron? I love that stuff... and nightime neo will "knock you out" lol

btw Betty - I added you to the Round Robin Quilt 2012 - you're in #5 spot, and Anita joined us too, so we have 6 people and I'm looking for one more...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 24, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9096082

will have to go back now and read exactly what I signed up for...no just regular neocitrin...ooops expiration date over by 4 months..oh well, still better than nothing..I'll pick up a box when next in town.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 24, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9096084

lol you signed up for the Lap Quilt Round Robin. You signed up in another DG room.

Think you'd best rest your head, Betty - as you've gotten this nasty chill/cold, I'm sure you're having a time of it today, so take it easy and rest. I won't let you forget, and we have time for you to make your center before sending it on.
it's a 15 1/2" x 24 1/2" unfinished block...whatever you want for a center.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 24, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9096089

Thanks Susan, will definately go back and read..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 24, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9096092

okie dokie!!
now REST, young lady!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 24, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9096157

Oh my Betty .. do so hope your cold is short lived .. rest is always good, but, make SURE it's ALL gone before you start your engines and start to get up to full speed once again ..

Sound like a broken record re the wind .. but .. it's here again .. all day, right off the big ol lake .. brrrrrrrrrrrr ..

Thinking of Brenda quite a bit and hoping all is going well for her ..

Off to make a salad .

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 24, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9096174

Y'know... couldn't sleep last night (this morning) until 4:30... couldn't stop thinking about her, and all she has to go through... first her eyes (she had surgery on them, and as she says "I think it was a success!"), now her heart...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 24, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9096244

Trust me Susan .. Brenda has not only a BIG heart, but, a truly KIND heart .. she went out her way to take me under her wing (and her hubbys as well) when Lorna ended up in Wpg hospital and I was there with nothing to do but sit in the Health Sciences for a month ..
Anyone like that deserves flawless surgery with recovery that is a breeze ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 24, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9096344

When I met Brenda in Winnipeg, in December 2011 (we went to school together in Winnipeg, but she was 2 years ahead of me, I didn't know her but apparently she knew me...even Years later), I could just hug her... she's really a sweet, gentle lady, and even when she was facing surgery this time, took time to assist me with some advice - just the sort of person she is, to take someone under her wing, ... she's a gem!
I've known her online at DG for years now, but last Dec was the first time we got to meet "in person".
I would do anything in my power to make her comfortable...
I have family in Winnipeg, and was thinking - 'what can I have them do for her, from me'. I've been "putting my thinking cap on" about this.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 25, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9096875

Update on Brenda
All is wonderful..surgery 12:00 to 4:30.. Changed assending aorta .. Changed valve. .. Wake up.. Maybe 5:30.. Breathing tube out at 8:30.. Talking conversations since then. Nurses are more than happy with smooth linear progression with no hiccups at all. She thanks all of you guys for the prayers, and is convinced that is what made the big difference.. And thanks from me too..
Signed..hubby

The above was posted by Echoes (Brenda's hubby) .. all is well .. :-)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 25, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9096935

What great news !!! Bet Brenda's hubby is breathing easier this morning..don't they do wonders with heart operations now..sometimes the patient is home within the week.

Clear sky, cold and windy though..good day to do nothing inside..well almost nothing..should try to clean a bit of my craft room though, what a disaster.

Hope you all get to enjoy some warm temps
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 25, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9097188

Glad to hear all went well with Brenda surgery.

I have discovered that Call Display is not much good if you can't read it without your glasses - which are of course never anywhere near the phone unless I am sitting at the computer where my spare glasses usually live!

Our long term foster Teddy went to a new home yesterday. We have had him since October and he was so shy we just wanted to work with him - have a terrific foster home for shy dogs - he was made available for adoption in March. After we approved the adoption had an issue with transportation- adopters on a rural property near Grand Prairie - 'horse' folks, busy getting horses ready for show etc. GP is a long drive from Airdrie where Teddy was living.
Then - adopters discovered a friend was flying with another friend from Calgary up north somewhere - small private jet no less - and would take Teddy and stop at GP with him. I have not seen the pic yet but apparently he rode up sitting in friends lap with a set of earphones on so the noise did not scare him! Not many dogs get to travel like that!
Teddy is a bi-black sheltie, big beautiful fellow!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 25, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9097204

ahhh, am sure he'll adapt in no time, sounds as though the adoptive family have mega grounds for him to roam..must been hard letting Teddy go..maybe you should find an adoptive family if it means flying about the country!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 25, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9097276

I sure hope so - our biggest concern in fact that he is not a dog who can be allowed to roam he is still pretty shy and if he was ever loose off leash at the moment he would probably disappear! But they have a big dog run and understand he needs to be kept leashed until he will reliably come when called - it will take time,.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 25, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9097317

Wonderful how you find homes for these dogs who have once or twice been abandoned!

Adder seeing how groomed your dogs are I washed Sailor, finally got appt tonight at 4:45 to have her nails done and ears cleaned

Off for something warm. Hacking to beat the dickens

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 25, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9097331

Thank you, Marilyn, for news on Brenda!! This is terrific!! ahhhhh Connor's breathing easier now that Brenda is recovering :-)

Sorry I didn't post earlier - I slept in until 10:00... yikes, must have needed the sleep!

Betty - do you take cough syrup with codeine? It helps me... Available behind the counter, and they check you SIN# so there's no "drug abuse" lol like you Would, eh? lol

Carol - did you see about "Noah" the rescue dog from north of Calgary, with chemical burns on his neck and back? They're doing wonderfully well with him - surgery for the terrible infection - apparently had happened over 3 weeks ago.. and he's only 1 year old. People had called in to report that he was wandering the woods. They've placed him with a foster home, changing bandages every 2 days, then expect to get him adopted.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 25, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9097382

Love the 'black and white' Sheltie .. and am so hoping someone took a pic with the earphones on LoL.

Our 2 'kids' were groomed today .. they both sure needed it .. after the grooming they're always tired .. guess 'Becky the groomer' makes them MIND !!!

AM over the moon re Brenda .. I know Connor will be as well .. finger crossed for an uneventful recovery ^_^

Apple pie in the oven and spareribs in the slowcooker .. wish I could smell it all :-(

Take care everyone

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 25, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9097440

Wish I could come eat at your house "M"' mouth just a watering..don't feel like going out at 4:30 but must..Sailor for grooming, stained glass studio then I just might take a ride into town to see if I can pick up Chinese or Kentucky fried, not into cooking this week!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 25, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9097444

M one of the guys took a pic of foster mom Shelly sitting in the plane with Teddy with earphones on - we dont really know him so not sure how soon we might get the pic.

Susan - dont think I saw Noahs story- is it on the CHS website?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 25, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9097454

our neighbours gave us a Tuesday Sun newspaper - I found the story on there. - says it's on Twitter - @SunDaveDormer.
I never go on Twitter, so don't know what I just typed, means...
The article is called "Beat-up rescue pup in recovery" I couldn't find it on Google...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 25, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9097472

Found it. He is at a 24 hour vet.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 25, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9097565

Good - glad you found it! Poor dog! Wonder how he got the chemical burns?!?!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 26, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9098392

Pic from Chemo day yesterday. DIdnt bother to take my lap duvet , but the 'warm' blankets are only good for a few minutes and then just heavy - duvet next week! You cant seen the IV because it is inserted on the underside of my right arm.We dont use the top of my hand since it is still in recovery mode from an IV infiltration 2 months ago.
Had a problem yesterday when they changed the drip rate from slow to fast after 15 minutes and had a bad burning sensation at the site, nurse ended up doubling the saline rate more than the chemo rate to dilute it more as it entered and then it was OK. She said some people have that problem every time but it was quite a surprise to me as it was the first time

This message was edited Apr 26, 2012 6:43 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 26, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9098526

Look as though they try and make you comfy Carol..you look so relaxed! Not good about the burning sensation..perhaps if you mention it on your next visit they might watch for it.
How are you feeling this morning?

Took Sailor to. New groomer last night, he seemed to think he was the dog whisperer..lol. I went in with Sailor as she is nervous of men , went to help him lift her, he all but screamed, leave her leave her, I must put all my energy in her healing..o k

was great with Sailor, taking her back end of May, going for her not me! He did encourage me to think of the food he makes which would be much better for her...yikes it would cost next months salary to afford the food..but did buy chicken jerkey for Sailor, $20 for treats..

He has a rescue program, has 12 dogs he is getting healthy before moving on and boards..had 22 there last night..beatiful run for them..

Well, think I'm in need of a nap
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 26, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9098627

Betty you can be sure I will mention it every time now. I actually know the IV sites we have used for the past 3-4 chemos and we dont use the top of my hand because of an IV infiltration 2 months ago and hand still healing so it makes it harder for the nurses to find a site. And of course we can't use my left arm because of the lymphedema.

Taking Sassy to the groomer this afternoon - I always disappear because she is much better with them ( there is a good garden centre about 10 minutes drive away so you know where I will be going!)- she actually wont let me groom her- gets very snappy and I cannot risk her biting me. Her undercoat is quite matted - should have had her groomed a couple of months ago but that was when I was sick and not paying attention. Anyway the girls say she is always pretty good with them and since there are several people somebody can hold her head if necessary. This is a g roomer who grooms our foster dogs at no charge.Tomorrow to the vet to see what we can do about her stinky mouth.

Cold out today, no gardening, supposed to rain for a few days, ground is very dry so we really need the moisture expecially the farmers in eastern Alberta.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 26, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9098633

Sailor is so docile, it would not be a problem but did not want her to fret, next time I will drive up the road to the Stained glass studio and spend a few hours. Just a concession away is the lili farm but seeing as the lily bug has been in our region past few years no sense stopping there to ohh and ahhh at what I can't have. Told me Sailor is likely 10 or 11 and a lot of years left..we will see!

Going out already, aren't you concerned about catching all these bad germs ?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 26, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9098738

Betty I have never stopped going out and I have never worn a mask(athough I keepsome in the car) - even at the dog show and the garden show. Probably picked up a cold at the dog show beginning of March but other than that no problems. Just kept my fingers crossed. I do however have signs on my doors.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 26, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9098757

Good for you, to get signs on your door. Saves you having to explain every time you go to the door (by which time you're already exposed to the 'germs'). I suppose this means you don't get a lot of door-to-door salespeople or politicians lol
I imagine that burning sensation was pretty 'uncomfortable' to say the least!

btw - our neighbour has a dog grooming van that comes to his place to groom his pooch (he's able to drive but it's more difficult as he has crutches all the time, and to carry the dog and open doors at the same time?!?! well, just not going to happen). They will come to any house if you call - can't remember the name of the company ..."puppy" something... an obvious "grooming" name though...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 26, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9098804

Susan I have had a mobile groomer since Bailey was 2 years old - 13 years no( Didnt have a car at the time) ! Once in a while I take the dogs to her but usually she comes to the house, sets up in the back porch ( her dream is to be able to afford an actual grooming van) I make an appt. she shows up and with 2 dogs she is usually here for some time and I often go shopping or somewhere out of sight! She does a great job too. I had a couple of mobile groomers before her and I would never have had them back as they simply did not know how to properly groom a sheltie!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 26, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9098867

What's the name of your groomer, Carol? I think our neighbours use a guy...
Good that you have someone that Knows how to groom a sheltie. Certain breeds have special grooming requirements, certainly!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 26, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9099012

I see you wore your new sweater Carol ^_^
I know how quickly those flannel 'warmed blankets' cool off.

Brenda (Echoes) walked a bit last night .. would imagine that'll be a daily thing now :-)

C O L D here .. because of the WIND from the north.

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 26, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9099036

yes, she walked - now, wonder how she's doing with her "cough, please" that I remember them doing when I had abdominal surgery... blech!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 26, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9099045

I saw her DH post that she's off all machines, except pacemaker and IV and is on the floor she will stay on, for the next week. He had posted that she'd "eaten my cookie" yesterday at noon... I'd missed him saying that when he posted it on FB... oooooopsie lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 26, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9099088

Great news on Brenda, before long she will be doing lapse aroung the hospital corridors!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 26, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9099099

lol yeah, and Connor'd be chasing her to slow down! No, really, I think Brenda is going to be resting... she wants to get well, and she's a smart lady...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 26, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9099130

Good news about Brenda!

Susan my groomers name is Wendy

.M. those are more like bed spreads than flannel blankets but whichever they don't stay warm very long. Which is why I normally take my lap down duvet which has fleece on one side!

Cold and rainy here - disappointing not to be able to get into the garden but it is very dry so we do really need the moisture. My potato order arrived today but it will be a while before I can plant them as the ground in the bed is not warm enough. Need to dig it loose and cover with plastic for a bit - might help.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 26, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9099145

you need a warm and cozy quilt, Carol...
Do you ever quilt?

S'funny to see my berm - 1/2 of it Never gets any moisture (unless it's from underground when it's rained) cuz it always looks so dry under the overhang from my mobile. Even driving rain doesn't seem to get under there. So funny when we've had 'flood-like' rains and still...dry as a bone!! I really need to water it after a rain lol
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 26, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9099410

I have a quilt Susan the one I received from Victorias Quiilts but it is more single bed size.so it is at home on the sofa for naps. My duvet is just right. No I dont quilt - my Mom was a great quilter.

I had Sassy to the groomer today - they were running quite late and so I drove out to a nearby nursery just past the edge of town and of course found some plants to buy, not much because I really dont know yet what I need. I did get some small packs of coleus which I can put under the lights and use in some shallow planters I put on the back steps. A couple of interesting grasses for the patio pots and two p hlox - Orange Sensation ( I already have one but it is hard to find and I want one for another bed) and Blue Paradise which looks like a lovely lilac mauve shade.No Peppermint Twist. A bit too early to plant them but I might be able to get them under the lights for a couple of weeks.

I have so many phlox now I better carry a list with me! Same with veggie seed!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 26, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9099432

I'm glad you have your duvet, Carol.

Love coleus - there are so many varieties and colours!
I was out for a few minutes today (to the truck, into a building, out of a building to the truck, then home) but it was too dreary and raining that I didn't want to go out much. I can deal with snow better than rain. I love the rain for watering the gardens, but Not to be out in it.

I like "interesting grasses". I'd gotten some Pony Grass from Joanne (south) and I'm going to look for some again this year. There are some purple grasses that are really striking, too...

I have to start thinking about roto-tilling my friend's yard (our veggie garden, that is) sometime in May. Hard to believe it's already close-to-May!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 27, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9099648

Mornimg all, sunshine but cool..staying in the house for the day so guess it really doesn't matter what it's like outside.

I am working from home until 3pm then it's a quick trip to stained glass studio, TimbrMart to pay for a shed they are manufacturing for me then home..ok one extra stop for Chinese food..why cook!

Carol, I'm on the lookout for your Orange Sensation phlox, a lot of the nurseries are just now getting their stock in. Think I have Blue Paradise.

I received a book written by local television personality Frankie Flowers from Ann on my birthday..it's all container gardening, might try one or two this year.

Susan, how right you are, before we know it we'll be crying the blues that gardens are finished, snow upon our door and stores are singing Christmas tunes..will happen you know.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 27, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9099663

yup, will happen. It also reminds me I have to get a b-day pressie off to my Mom - May 2nd! I know Just the book to send her, so will get it tomorrow, and send it off - Love Wins by Rob Bell. She's quite the reader, and doesn't get to Church often anymore, so she'll like it, I'm sure.
I've made 2 quilts for her, so she wouldn't look for anymore from me, I know. She'll be 93!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 27, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9099735

Betty and I am looking for Peppermint Twist!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 27, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9099740

Then we are on a mission, might be easier for me to send you peppermint twist and you send me Orange sensation. Lol

In paper this mornimg was a flyer from a Midland nursery, if up to it might check it out while in town late tonight!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 27, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9100059

Carol I noticed too that you had on your new sweater. Was it warm? I belive you said it was Alpaca wool.
Groomers , oh boy do I miss the lady that did my Cleo for years. She became ill 2 years ago and passed away. She had a wonderful way with animals and did a super job. I think she is part of the reason my dog is so good for any groomer now.
Good news about Brenda!

Snow this am but it's melting now.

Able to keep Ghouse at 52 degrees last night so I am not worried about the weather at all.
Alberta Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 27, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9100065

cold and windy today so I decided to make a trip to Sunnyside nursery for a few things! They had bags of bulbs on 50% off so I picked up some lilies ( 1-3/bag) some seeds, some pot feet ( which is what I really wanted) and a tray of Calibrachoa(Million bells) - cheaper by 10 pots so I bought 20. Already have a lot under lights in the basement - have about 6-8 dfifferent colors, mixing them all up in some big pots that go round a birdbath on the back patio.
They dont have many perennials in yet but guess what I found another phlox - Watermelon Punch!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 27, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9100179

Watermelon Punch sounds yummy!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 27, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9100307

Connor posted yesterday that Brenda had a fever, but not abnormally so, and today she's been walking Without a walker. Good oxygen levels!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 27, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9100339

Carol, bought Blue Paradise this aft. $11.98 for quite a size..no orange but several peppermint twist, 1/2 the price of the other nursery..will have to keep that nursery in mind..maybe the hard to find are hard to find

Great news about Brenda!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 27, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9100345

yes, as Marilyn said on FB - these are HUMP days for her when she's gotten a fever, getting a few aches and pains re: walking/sleeping/eating for the first times after surgery, then it's all "uphill" from there.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 28, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9101589

An interesting link ..

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/1169961--world-s-tallest-plant-to-bloom-for-first-time-in-canada

I watched one of these via the internet about 2 years ago. It bloomed in Texas .. it was quite fascinating.

Busy day, houseful of company, finally time to sit back and relax .

ALbertaAnn .. my DGDaughter is trying out for cheerleading .. jumping for joy is she .. I'm kind of hesitant though.

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 28, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9101946

Everyone - Brenda may go home Tomorrow! Apparently IF her fever goes down, and the "shakes" stops, she'll be released.
My daughter was going to visit her tomorrow afternoon, but Connor said "no, we'll be leaving the hospital before she could come" so he's obviously thinking she'll be released.
I certainly Hope so, cuz she's been walking around and feeling pretty good (other than the fever, naturally, and that's to be expected Connor said).
Brenda even posted on her FB account - she said "Thanks, for all the prayers and well wishes. I really appreciate them."

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 29, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9102213

Fingers crossed Brenda can go home .. Lorna's only positive recollection re the 'hospital cuisine at St B' was the date squares, and they only arrived 3 times in the 2 weeks she was there, but, you could purchase them in the cafeteria LoL
Be nice if she can be discharged, guess it's a wait and see proposition.

ANOTHER heavy frost morning .. lawsie am tired of them .. you can sure tell how hearty Iris and DayLilies are though ! The bunches of them I have are hanging on ..
Going to hang sheets on the line .. know they'll dry as we do have the ever constant wind, and, brilliant SUNSHINE :-)

Have a nice day everyone

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 29, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9102231

Just moved us over...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255146/

This message was edited Apr 29, 2012 7:51 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America