-
AuthorContent
amacgillivray
GABRIOLA
Canada

April 9, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9075324

I have recently moved to the country and this is my first year of veggie gardening on this property. Last fall I built 2 raised beds and got a bit carried away planting porcelain garlic. So until I create more space, my main option is to plant something that does not need much space amongst garlic plants and that won't interfere w garlic harvest sometime around mid July.

I have some snap pea seeds but read that garlic and legumes aren't a good combination. Radishes? Lettuce? Other?
We're apparently in zone 8a (on Canada's west coast) and have had a cool wet spring so far, but warming up now.
Thanks!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9075929

I plant leeks and shallots with my garlic. Both are fairly expensive to buy in the stores, and I love cooking with them.
KathyWid
Clover, SC

April 10, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9077293

Garlic is an excellent companion plant for tomatoes ... it repels pests! Read more here: http://www.tomatodirt.com/companion-plants.html
amacgillivray
GABRIOLA
Canada

April 10, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9077435

Thank you for the ideas. Tomatoes hadn't occurred to me; I should be able to put some in next month.
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9078067

How about garlic in with okra? I have large diameter pots for my okra and feel like it's wasted space.
amacgillivray
GABRIOLA
Canada

April 16, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9084984

Just did some research on okra and I doubt we'd get a good crop here (too cool). Probably a good hint that it isn't in local seed catalogs or display stands. Thanks again everyone.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 18, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9087934

All the onion family are good for use as planting companions or as we call it plant / insect deterrents, I grow a row of onions beside my carrots as it helps detract the smell of the carrots that attracts the carrot root fly.
I grow it beside Roses, it helps keep greenfly and other bud eating insects at bay, you can also crush it and mix it in a gallon of water to water your Roses and this helps keep other insects at bay.
salad plants are nibbled less if garlic or onion plants are close.
at the end of the season, you still have the garlic to eat or store when the season for picking is there.
Some folks use Tagettes also as a deterrent for there veg, my dad used to sow a border of these plants around each veg bed and they were attacked by greenfly but they left the veg alone, so all the old methods still work today. My Dad when Planting Roses used to throw in the bottom of hole the old fat from the roasting trays, then in went the rose bushes, fill the hole with the soil and feed, then plant a couple of cloves of garlic, he never had any form of diseased Roses either on the leaves or flowers, he reckoned the fat was taken up by the roots and made the foliage have a coating to prevent insects chewing them and the Garlic oils was also taken up by the roots and was therefore in the foliage, true or false it worked, he won prizes for his Roses.
There are lots of other plants that should protect each other and also some that should not be grown together, so a book will throw more light on the subject if you can get to your local library.
Good luck, WeeNel.
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9088563

WeeNel, "Some folks use Tagettes also as a deterrent" -- please elaborate..
BrrrAnn
Lunenburg, MA
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9096465

I'm about to harvest my garlic and am wondering what will be good to follow it in the bed. Salad greens? What about herbs -- specifically oregano, basil, sage?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9096563

Seems early to harvest the garlic. Have the tops started to die down?
I don't really think it will matter what you chose to plant in that same bed next.

Tx_gardener ~ as WeeNell hasn't been back to respond, Tagettes is marigolds which work as a repellent for many bugs. But I'd bet you've already researched and figured that out. lol
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9097122

Does anyone nick their garlic cloves before planting? Its suppose to help make bigger bulbs.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America