Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Reds4me
Chehalis, WA

April 9, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9075477

Once again I launch into the garden patch plan, and am ready to experiment with yet another method of growing potatoes. I live at 700 Ft. altitude, my zip code makes me zone 8, but tracking late freezes and low temps makes me more cautious to planning for Zone 7. I have the complication of clay soil. Once, about 5 years ago, we rototilled huge bags of peat moss into some clay, and tried our first potatoes, from seed potatoes. We got a pretty good batch, but that year had lots of days over 80 degrees, and we haven't had a good batch since. Last year with lots of late and then, early, rain, was a complete failure. You gotta have lots of blind faith to want to grow potatoes in my region.

So, I'm interested in stories and tips anyone from the great northwest, short season vegetable growers, that have had potato success. Particularly those with clay soil. Our seed potatoes await!!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9093125

Sorry I am from Eastern Washington and short season, but I don't have clay. I was just going to tell you that several people on here say to use gypsum to fix your clay problem. You might to some queries and see what you can do. It isn't impossible I think.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America