Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Bug ID Anyone?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Saw these two on my freshly-cleaned grill last night. I know what it looks like they might be doing, and I don't want to think much about it since I was grilling steaks about 30 mins later, LOL. But they were unique enough I snapped a picture. Any idea? I've never seen anything like them before.

Thumbnail by jlj072174
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That's a stink bug .. not plant friendly .. mess with them and they literally stink.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I thought stink bug at first too, but thought their bodies were more square and brown/black where as these are more long and red/brown.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

If they are stink bugs don't let them around cats. Years ago in Kentucky, our cat Oreo showed up drooling and clearly in distress. Walking in the door at our vet, he said without further ado "he ate a stink bug." Oreo stayed all day at the vets on an iv, and was fine by the next day.

Johns Island, SC

They are clearly Stink Bugs although the coloration is all wrong. I've
never seen Stink Bugs this color! But then, I've never seen Stink Bugs this early in the season! Could those colors be mating-related, and lost to the dusty brown-grey we normally see once the dirty deed is done?

Rocky Point, NC

Hi folks,

They are stink bugs, and from research, I have discovered there are over 700 species, with more types coming in on ships every year. The mild winter we had here (SE Coastal NC) has all the bugs out early. I already have them in my veggies. I hate these critters...

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

those are Leaf-Footed Bugs, one of the true bugs and related to the Stink Bugs, very common in the south. they will decimate a crop of tomatoes or a rose bush, among other things.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

bow-chick-bow-wow ;)
Eeww. Smoosh 'em!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.