Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Perennials: Floral Bouquets

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 43, Views: 395
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9075863

Hi! I'm starting a new thread for people to post photos of floral arrangements from your garden. I donated a seasonal monthly bouquet x 7 months (April through October) to my son's school auction. This is April's arrangement, delivered to my winning bidders today.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Click the image for an enlarged view.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9075867

Nice!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9076395

Very pretty kosk!!!!! Here's one I did last fall for an fundraiser auction.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9076415

Love, love, love Kathy---seeing Kent's oregano? Also hops? Great ideas for a bouquet. along with the asters, alstroemeria, gypsophilia...?

I felt kind of clever with my bouquet today, using some blooming Mahonia (Oregon Grape), but cutting off the nasty spiky foliage...ends up looking kind of like goldenrod. Viburnum 'Spring Bouquet' makes up a large part of my arrangement. Also used ribes, euonymus, tall nandina, muscari, an orange tulip, daffodils.

I saw small bundles of Viburnum 'Spring Bouquet' for sale in San Francisco last week for $20! I found myself smirking a bit, since that shrub is over 10 feet tall in my yard and my supply is endless.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9076419

Forgot I also included hellebores ('Blue Metallic Lady') in mine. I loved how those draped.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9120935

Last week was Teacher Appreciation Week at school. My Teacher Appreciation committee and I put together 27 floral arrangements for each teacher and staff member. Everything was from my yard except for the roses, which I don't have blooming yet. I used recycled jars for vases. Total cost was only $20 for 27 bouquets.

Pic 1) Materials gathered from my yard. We used: euonymus, laurel, nandina berries, iberis, lithodora, ranunculus, erysimum (wallflowers), tulips, ribes, rhododendrons, larkspur, cuphea, snowball viburnum, barberry (thorns removed), ferns, viburnum 'spring bouquet', hellebores, and I am probably forgetting some things.

Pic 2) end result. Each bouquet received one rose.

Thumbnail by kosk0025   Thumbnail by kosk0025
Click an image for an enlarged view.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9120980

Wow... great flowers kosk...and great ideas to share with the teachers. I'm still waiting for my garden to get going so I have some things to make bouquets with,still early here, saw snowflakes yesterday. YUCHHHHHH. Things are early this year by a few weeks, normally not much here til mid to late May.
Got a great idea for vases...look at your thrift stores and goodwill. Many can be bought for about $1. Then it's not so hard to do give away bouquets. And yes, mason jars are great.
I also take bouquets to nursing homes at the end of the season when frost is about to end the flower year. I figure I might as well share them instead of allowing the frost to kill them.
Last summer I helped with flower bouquets for a wedding, after we finished with the reception we took all the bouquets to an apartment complex in the inner city for handicap folks. They were absolutely thrilled, once they realized they were free, and only being given away. What weren't given away were left in the lobby area to be shared with who ever wanted some. It was a great way to share from my garden, and only a few days later my garden had been demolished (almost), from rain and ahil (5"). But I hope I brought some great memories to some people, who may no longer be able to do gardening for themselves, or those that never learned.
I still have to wait for my shrubs to grow up so I can use them also, but it will still be years. And most of my flowers are as tall as I can get, most with being able to do bouquets always in the back of my mind, lol. I believe I'm hooked on flowers. I grow them for me...but...I'm willing to share their beauty too!!!
Please show us more til I can get some open blooms, I'm thinking this will be a fun thread, let's keep it going...
Pix: lol... this is a pix of my favorite filler...babies breath, patch last year was about 6-8ft x 6-8ft round and 4ft high.
Pix: here's my other patch, which is almost as big. After the BB finishes, I use Linonium latifolium as a filler, (perennial statice at 36" x 36").

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9121086

That's great, Kathy! Wow, lots of gypsophila!

For home bouquets, I highly, highly recommend having a snowball viburnum shrub in your yard. It provides me with blooms/branches for at least 6 weeks. Initially, I use them when they are green (as in my teacher bouquets---nothing beats that chartreuse green to make pink, red, and purple hues pop). Then they turn white and I continue to use it. My shrub is so enormous, that I can cut and cut and cut and cut and cut from it, and it doesn't make a dent in it.

Here is a pic of that shrub...For reference, the top of my fence is 5 and 1/2 feet and top of arbor is around 8 feet up, so you can see how huge it is! The blooms just recently turned white...(bummer, I prefer the green!)

The cuphea and larkspur in my teacher bouquets were in bloom because I started them in the greenhouse back in January.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9121147

I just got 5...1 gallon Viburnum o. Sterile Snowball 9-12ftx6-8ft. Is that also the shrub above? If so, did you plant it yourself? and from what size? How wide is it, I'm thinking it will get widerthan 6-8ft am I right? Lol, I got lots of questions, sorry but I wanna place it correctly. Also is it a single stem as the years go on or multiples. Gosh, I sure hope they do good. Yes, it's also on my list for arrangements, now your in z8 and I'm in z5 or 6 (new zone map), I realize it will probably grow slower here, but I'm going to give it some TLC and hope it grows quickly.
Another couple of goodies I want are curlywillow and pussywillow, just for arranging. Lol, how pathetic is that?
Got some caryopteris, lilacs (commons and patula Miss Kim), acer ginnela, prunus cistena, Red twig, European dwarf cranberry, Spiarea Bridal Wreath, Philadelphus, Phsyocarpus o. Coppertina, Viburnun o. Roseum, Lonicera (shrub honeysuckle), Viburnum carlessii (yummmm), Euonymus variegated Emerald Gaiety, Althea, and Golden privet. Some of the vines I have as newbies are more clems. of course(lol), lonicera periclymen, halls hoenysuckle, flame honeysuckle, English ivy, Hydrangea anomala petiolaris, Ampelopsis b., Actinidia, Campsis radicans orange and yellow, Akebia, Passiflora c., and Polygonum fleece flower These are just a few of the newbies I've planted or just obtained this year. I'm starting from almost nothing here and creating my own little heaven of fav trees and shrub or total newbies that will become such. Do you have any of these and how do they do for you? Would love to hear and any growing tips you might have.
pix; Passiflora carulea
pix: My border that is about 3 years old here,(last year), is 45feet x 100feet.

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 13, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9121893

Kathy---you are hilarious! 5 of them? Wow! That's great. This was one of the shrubs that was here when we bought this house 5 years ago. The house is only 10 years old, so I estimate the shrub to be 10 years old. It probably started as a 1 gallon plant or so. It is currently 10 feet wide x 15 feet tall. It is on the south side of the house. It seems to love its location. The blooms offshoot on single branches, perpendicularly from the branch. If you cut one long branch, you could have 10 blooms on it.

I put in two pink pussywillows this past winter for the purpose of future flower arrangements! (Salix 'Mt Asama' and 'Mt Aso') If you buy an arrangement of curly willow from the store, just keep it in water for a really long time, and it will root for you and then you can plant it. I had curly willow on my countertop rooted and ready to go (it had even leafed out)...but became lazy and never got it in the ground and it eventually dried up. Salix species has abundant natural rooting hormone so it is the easiest thing to root (you can grind up salix and use it in water to get other plants to root).

I have a number of those on your list...maybe half of them? Everything does great in my yard. Pacific NW---the best place to garden in my opinion. No bugs and a mild climate.

Here is a pic of my akebia vine in bloom. Took this pic two days ago.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 13, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9122617

Oh thanks for the info. I had a suspision it got bigger than the tag stated, but then again we don't get as much moisture as you, probably, avg here is about 17+".

Love that akebia, does it in fact smell like chocolate.

Ya, I believe I need to get some of that curley willow, and isn't that cool about it being a rooting hormone, I also want some regular willow along with pussywillows. I got all sorts of uses (future), to use that willow for. Trellis making, wattle fencing, arbors, you get the idea. In fact, this spring I'll be making a tunnel arbor out of rebar (am thinking of adding metal fencing over the top), for my some of my vines, I believe I have more than 23 climbing clems. and 6 or 7 shrub clems., about half of the climbers I got last year. I'm going to be working on planting tall things the deer don't want to jump over to get into the yard, (if they can't see what's on the other side they won't jump).

Is that viburnum a multi stem, hope, hope, hope.

pix 1: Here's a pix of my backyard, gosh ya think I need something other than weeds and grasses? Like I said, am starting from scratch, figured I might as well plant all the things I like or would like to grow (love).
pix 2: Have you ever used clems in your bouquets? I believe this clem. is Jackmanii supurba, deer just pruned them last week for me.

These pix are from last year.

This message was edited May 13, 2012 7:03 PM

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9123572

That's a lot of land you got there Kathy. How fun it is to plant whatever you want.

Kosk - great job on that 27 bouquets for $20. Is it possible to keep the snowball viburmum in check by drastic pruning every year? I don't have much space, so about 4 feet would be all I want for it to grow.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9127038

Yes, you can prune it hard, pretty much whenever you want. And it still blooms like crazy.

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9127041

May bouquet for my monthly seasonal delivery. (donated by me at my son's school auction. Monthly floral arrangement April through October).

contains: snowball viburnum, lupine, allium, wisteria

Thumbnail by kosk0025

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9127246

Beautiful!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2012
11:19 PM

Post #9127977

Just love it!!!!! Very soft but yet cheerful!!!! That wisteria, so pretty, which type is it? And how do lupine do as a cut flower? I had a bunch of babies last fall and they're gone now, Dratz!!! I did put more seed in a week or so ago, and a couple of the established just disappeared. Are they not long lived? I've only been growing them for a few years.

Seeds I've planted in the last few days: Reseda (mignonette), Zaluzianskya, Zinnias (seperate colors) yellow, green, red, pink. Dill, Strawflowers, Gomphrena, Black Ball bachelor buttons, Nicotiana sylvestris, Celosia Flaming Feather, Monarda Lambada, Polygonum Kiss Me Over The Garden Gate, Amaranthus Love Lies A Bleeding, Cosmos Double Click, Ammi visagna (another great filler, large flowers, I've been seeing them included in bouquets from the grocery store, I've been growing them for 10-15 years), Papaver Angels Choir mix. Still have some more to get in yet. Some are new for me and others are old standbys ( you know...those favorites ya just can't do without, reseda, zaluzianskya, Nicotiana, Ammi, Papaver). Some of these are soo fragrant, I don't understand how commerce has missed them.

Will be making up a bouquet or two next week, many things are beginning to open, I must have a couple hundred of these (in the pix blooming now), (hesperis matronalis), it is sooo fragrant, even more so in the evening, I have to get this years pix downloaded to see how big this patch is this year, before I edit some out to the compost pile, gosh I hate to do that, lol.). Do you ever run out of things blooming, must be nice to have such a long blooming season.

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9165120

June arrangement. Peonies, 'America' rose, 'Eglantyne', 'Crown Princess Margareta', 'Queen of Sweden', alchemilla.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9165438

You are so talented!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9165658

Just beautiful!!!! How do you get peonies and roses to bloom at the same time???? Must sell just fabulous...

Here's one I did for garden club last week...

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9166041

Lovely, Kathy. My peonies and roses always bloom at the same time. Peonies are at their peak right now, and roses are just getting started. Must be our climate.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9166546

Gorgeous, all of them!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9167146

another i did for garden club, now just waiting for more things to open...seems like our wacky weather is messing with bloom times on things this year.

pix 2: a flower (weed?) I used in this bouquet, any ideas what it is...I don't remember planting it, ( I think, lol).

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9183839

More peonies and David Austin roses. Bouquet for my friend's birthday.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9184727

This is from last weekend. This time of year I really hate cutting my flowers, even though we were having company and I wanted some for the house. I go around to each clump saying no, no, not this one, until I'm back at the beginning. Then I try to find things in full bloom that would go by in a day or two anyway, since by then we're gone til the next week.

The weren't enough peonies left to make anything out of without denuding the plants. Some early perennials still look pretty from a distance but are too far gone to see up close. Others are in full glorious bloom, but it's their first year so the clumps aren't that big. But digitalis grandiflora has put itself everywhere. I love it so let it stay pretty much wherever it wants to be. And the campanula is from a clump behind the garage that is my fallback if the others get squeezed out. The daisies are wild, so are the geraniums, and Alchemilla is a great filler. The yellow baptisia was hardest- it's in a big area but has been weed-choked until this year so seems thin. I agonized over every cut.

Later on, when the annuals kick in, it will be easier. But -is it only this year, or always?- they are taking their own sweet time. On Cleome, on Cosmos, on Aster and Zinnia! I need you!

Pam

Thumbnail by Pfg

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9185279

This is a wonderful thread.I am inspired to cut a boquet.Tomorrow.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9186309

Very pretty, Kathy, Kosk, and Pfg. There is also a cut flowers and floral design forum that you may all want to visit.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/bringemin/all/

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9186411

Ohhhhh peonies, my absolute love... and the austins are wonderful, one day...

Pam...wow you did a wonderful job for not having any flowers to cut...llol. I know it's hard sometimes to cut things, lol...

Normally I would have scads to cut for bouquets but...this year is strange bloom times and heights ( hollyhocks at 12-18" when they should be 6ft, warm weather and lack of moisture...They are saying today we might get some...God I hope...Need to get into the garden to do some deadheading so I can have more blooms!!!!! Gypsophila in full bloom now and nothing much to put with it, lol... Maybe I need to pull a Pam, lol...

Ok ge, where's that bouquet for today?????
And soil, got any goodies for us to see?

pix: Armeria maritima Bee's Hybrids at 18", need to get some of this back in my garden, I started from seed, this one is at my daughter's garden.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9186462

funny you should ask LoL

I am the opposite - I grow flowers especially for cutting. I don't have a cutting garden, so my whole yard serves that purpose. I do try to plant plants that bloom in succession so that when I do cut one type of flower, another species are blooming.

One of my favorite arrangements from last month - a black and white. Scabiosa atropurpurea "Black", Dianthus sooty, and orlaya grandiflora. Orlaya grandiflora is a new one for me and I finally got it to grow from seed this year.

Thumbnail by soilsandup   Thumbnail by soilsandup   Thumbnail by soilsandup

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9186497

Beautiful!!!!! Ok...how did you get the Orlaya to grow. I got seed a few years ago and seeded outside, never any plants tho. I thought it would be great in bouquets...is it fragrant? I planted most of my garden with bouquets in mind...that's one of the reasons for as many tall things as I can find...

Does that scabiosa reseed for you? It's an annual isn't it?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9186570

That scabiosa reseeds like crazy. dmail me and I'll send you some seeds of that, the Orlaya and the sooty if you like. I just harvested all three. It took me three tries to get the orlaya to grow - the last time, I germinated inside and then planted the seedlings. Direct sowing did not work. Each flowerhead formed a bunch of seeds so I should have lots to try to grow next year. No fragrance, but it holds up quite well in a vase. Now gypsophila - I have absolutely no luck with that. Your patch is magnificient. Another question, does your Linonium latifolium produce any seeds? I had one plant years ago that died, and could not find any since then.

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9187023

Absolutely stunning Pam and soil!

Pic is one I gave to my friend the other day. Contains: Roses---'Graham Thomas', 'Crown Princess Margareta', and 'Dublin Bay', red penstemon, Salvia nemerosa 'Blue Hill', Craspedia globosa (Billy Buttons), alchillea 'Moonshine', alchillea 'Paprika', and eryngium alpinum.

I started the craspedia and eryngium both from seed last year. I was thrilled when the craspedia survived the winter. By far my most favorite, darling thing in the world for cutting.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9187027

Another view

Thumbnail by kosk0025

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2012
1:26 AM

Post #9187103

Looooove the black and white...
...and all the colors of the rainbow!

Great seed sowing, too!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2012
1:42 AM

Post #9187105

Kathy, how hard is it to get Armeria going? I have the regular pink one, but yours looks far more interesting. I've given up on gypsophila, trying Achillea Ballerina this year, it's supposed to look similar. We'll see...

Also Kosk, I love your viburnum. I'm such a sucker for green flowers, have Zinnia Envy and green nicotianas on their way, if they ever get going.

Soil, those black flowers are stunning! How long did it take the Orlaya to come to bloom from seed? Is it an early starter? Annie's says it blooms all summer... Have you found that?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9189211

kosk...where did you get the seed for the craspedia? Thompson and Morgan used to carry them but not now..Was going to oder but kept putting it off, duh, lol. Thought that was an annual...

Pfg...I started mine indoors in the winter under flourescent lights. Not hard, but not all germinated, never had any seed in the garden for me. Golly, maybe we all need to do some trading... That tall armeria is at my daughter garden and I will be there tomorrow, will see if any have gone to seed...If I coud divide it I would, I tried once and lost both mama and division (they grow as a single root). I have some of that Achilella, The Pearl, is that the one you are referring to? (Again, at my daughters, need to bring some home). When I planted my daughters garden I should have made sure she only got plants I already had, lol...

Soil...I looked today and the limonium (statice) is just starting to bloom, will keep an eye on it for you... I beginning to get my gypsophila to do some reseeding in the garden, rather suprised me, didn't think it would. My babies breath is just now opening and that stand of plants is 48" tall...and 9foot X 7 foot wide. It's gotten huge!!! I think I origonally planted 5 plants (all 21/4" pots, grown from seed). Is'nt it amazing what tiny little seeds can do!!!!! The other patch I have is also that big!!!!

For those having problems with their soil being to heavy or clayish try adding Peat moss to the planting hole... I'm tell ya it works miracles, I TRY to use it for every planting hole, notice I said try... Plants love it!!!! I'm on my 3rd bale so far this summer, Home Depot has the best, under $12 for a 3 cubic foot bale... Walmarts is cruddy, got sticks and branches in it, and not sure about lowes. Will be doing a bunch of planting when the weather cools off a bit, probably need another 5 or 6 bales yet, have a whole backyard to do this season, trees, shrubs and flowers... If you have some plants that are struggling try digging some in around the main plant and see if that doesn't help. And don't worry the worms will move it around for you...And you will also notice your worm population explode, they are good little aerators!!!!!

Pix is that babies breath (from last summer), my clems got chommped on by those 4 legged credants!!!! So very little bloom this summer on the clems. PHOOEY!!! lol.

Kathy

This message was edited Jul 1, 2012 6:48 PM

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9189376

Kathy, my Ballerina Achillea came from Bluestone's spring sale. I think it's fairly new, a low-growing, clump forming type. It's only been in the ground a couple of weeks.
OMG, don't kill the Armeria! I'll have to look for the seed and see if I can get it going.
No bouquets until next weekend, we're visiting relatives this week. I hope it rains some..

Pam
cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2012
3:03 AM

Post #9189490

Beautiful arrangements everyone, keep them coming. I will comment on the orlaya, I can't remember if I originally started it in or out, but now mine reseeds itself every year. You can move it to where you want it, if you do it quickly. I've found some don't make it if I move them too late in the spring. Not sure if it's that the weather is then too warm, or the plant is to large (they have a tap root), but definitely better to move them as soon as you see one coming up.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9203261

PFG - sorry it took so long to reply to your questions on the orlaya grandiflora. I started some seeds indoors in February. I had 5 plants that survived to transplanting stage - I think I must have put them into the ground sometime in March, and they bloomed early May. This is the first time (after about 3 other tries with direct sowing) that I was able to get blooms, so I did not deadhead and left all the blooms to mature. Had I known how prolific a bloomer these plants are, I would have deadheaded to see if I can prolong the blooming period. As you can see from the second photo, each flowerhead formed a bunch of seeds. So, once the seeds formed, the plant died, all by mid to end of June. Next year, I will deadhead and see if they will bloom longer. They also suggest that you plant successively to have the blooms staggered so that will be worth a try.

There is an annual seed exchange over at Cubits and if anyone wants some seeds, join in on that seed swap - I will have lots of seeds for that. That was where I got my original seeds, plus a ton of other types of seeds.

This message was edited Jul 12, 2012 5:18 PM

Thumbnail by soilsandup   Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9203277

Cindy - Did you ever try staggering the planting, or do you just let it self-sow?
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9203615

Thanks for the info on orlaya. I will definitely try it next year, but inside. I haven't had much luck with direct sowing on most of the things that supposedly do well that way. Maybe our temps are too varied, and inside is more controllable. I'll be looking for seeds for that Armeria too, it's a beauty.

Where is the seed swap on cubits? I must admit I get lost over there. I do Mamjack's co-ops and not much else.

Thanks! Pam
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9203873

Ella runs the swap in Cubits. It is under the Ellasgarden cubit, cottage gardening forum, and the thread title includes the words "piggy swap or Hog wild" in it. Look for the 2012 seed swap to start sometime in late October. It is a great way to get new seeds, and a way to distribute extra seeds that one collects along the way. It is a little confusing at first, but it all works out well, and the instructions they give is very good. Ella (AKA Star) does a great job running the swap, and the "oldtimers" are always there to jump in to help answer questions.

But, if anyone just wants the orlaya seeds, they can dmail me.

Kathy - I haven't forgotten you. I'll send you those seeds soon.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2012 3:13 PM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9204170

gets lost on Cubits too...
cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #9206768

I have never tried deadheading or staggered planting of orlaya. Frankly, never occurred to me, but I think I have some saved seed, I may try to plant some and see if it comes up in the heat. It's very early to come up, so I suspect it likes the cool weather.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2012
10:12 PM

Post #9212056

sorry been missing for a few weeks, lol...almost a month...oooops. Garden loks crudy...I haven't gotten to deadheading and plants are setting seed, gotta get to it if I want more blooms this year...That Orlaya is pretty!!!! I will get that tall armeria seed tomorrow, I haven't deadheaded them yet...

here's one I made a week ago (the glads were bought as bloom cycle on alot of my flowers is off this year and the lack of deadheading, ooops, everything else is from the garden...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America