Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Brugmansia chat in Autumn....

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 142, Views: 1,073
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 9, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9076018

It's getting cold very quickly this Autumn, so our Brugs flowering now will last a little longer...hopefully.
Get out your cameras and keep snapping, pods, leaves, flowers, buds, anything to do with our favourites.
Autumn Sunrise hasn't dropped it's skirt, like someone I could mention...but hopefully it will next year..
Still it's a pretty colour and took the strong winds of the last 2 days and it looks very attractive in the garden.
Thanks for all the chat and pics, last month, it makes great reading.
We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1250398/

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 9, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9076112

She might be shy Dianne but she is still beautiful ^_^
I see a full intact skirt there no worries, she might just like different conditions in order to fully drop.
I don't mind that look at all anyway.
We have semi doubles too, ones that probably won't ever fully drop and I quite like that "teenage" look.
I have two ...so far.
HOPE (yellow/ orange) Pic 3/4
Melissa Amy (Pink) Pic 1/2
Both chopped up so no recent pics.
I have better pics somewhere but too many to go through.
Marrying these to doubles might be interesting too.
HOPE was chopped in the hail before the 2nd Picture of it.
Does anyone have semi doubles ?

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100
Click an image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 9, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9076157

I'm not sure whats going on with PP. I have 2 which were cuttings from Wayne back in 2009. They have been very slow growers . On ewas badly affected by the spider mites and I had to cut it back, It is growing well now but no buds at all. The one which has flowered had a few buds which fell off about 3 months ago It put out more but all fell off except this one. It has taken so long to open and has been a very limp bud & flower.
I will cut the whole thing back to the base and see how it does after that. If it doesnt improve, its out.

Sorry to say Wayne, but none of your babies have done anything much here. They grow slowly and poorly. Maybe too used to the warm..
It could be that the PP gene is causing the poor performance. They are very attractive to the mites too. More so than some others. Mea Culpa nearly succumbed entirely, I had to cut all the leafy growth off and it hasnt recovered well.

Chrissys TT , Hope etc went to brug heaven .
I think the cuttings may thave been not old enough growth to survive here. Older wood seems to do better.

I am finding that the aureas and any with aurea in them are doing the best here.

It may be the longer cold spell or the continuous changing of temperature . We have had quite cold then warm every few days right through from spring last year.
All the plants get the same treatment ( water, fertliser, etc )
I will see how everything performs after winter when they are all cut back to the base.
I will repot and move all down the back so they are in the same area where I can judge their performance.

"Merino Idol." ..lol

I will be a hard judge, Any brugs wanting to go on to the finals will have to put on a great performance.

Hopefully most of the spider mites have gone now. I sprayed over the weekend and it seems only the arboreas and knightiis are affected. They survived the worst attacks without any at all, now the darn things are testing them for taste.
Maybe a chilli spray may deter them.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 9, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9076167

It's freezing but look what I found blowing in the wind ...I think I will make my special double white this coming Spring, I have some pods on this one crossed with T T (and hopefully coming soon ) Fernando.
You can hardly see the branches for the trumpets looking up ...it will make a great parent I am sure !
no.4 is Maya chatting to Heart of Gold. The perfume is amazing from both even in the day because it is cool.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 9, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9076197

Jean could it be the bore water ? more likely lack of rain ...
We all know different Brugs like different conditions, I guess that is why we test them.
If a cutting has white dots it should grow regardless of age. I only send cuttings I see nubs on with newer wood, the logs or trunk cuttings don't need to show nubs to work.
We have been warned many times that sending from warm to cooler climates can be unsuccessful, while cool to warm is almost 100 %. I am so sorry to see you having such problems ...maybe the cool climate babies will be a lot more successful.
I have Wayne's cuttings grown out with no problems.
Watching failed cuttings from down in the cooler places is why I chose to only send rooted plants there. I note it takes three days to get to your garden even though I send overnight, same here.
BGI is telling us that dipping the cuttings in paraffin wax stops any dehydration in transit, it is something I intend to explore next Spring.
Love these ...blowing in the really nasty wind but still going !

Stay warm everyone ! Soup day ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 10, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9077399

OMG it's freezing here ...off to find a Hoodie Lol .

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 10, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9077468

This is one of the critters chewing my Sphaeros...
looks as though he is ready for a fight.
Chopped out the white Versi yesterday, too much like Topsy...Topsy is better.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2012 10:08 AM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 10, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9077515

Keep that critter there Dianne. I have a few mites still here that I can send you.

Cold here again today. It may improve a bit later.
Hubby keeps telling me that it is going to warm up again.

My buds are getting bigger. They are entirely out of the calyx now and just hanging around teasing me.
One poor girl has been banging her head on the shed wall.
I think it may be frustration at not being able to manage to move about in the two skirts...lol

Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9077521

Just to help Wayne from BGI
Brugmansia Dwarf pink'n'Green

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 11:28 PM

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 10, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9077613

That little grub looks like he has had a feast Dianne, hope he didn't do too much damage to your cold kids. I feel bad when I have to squish them but, I don't use poisons (though I admit to being tempted).

Jean those poor poor things, I hope the cold does not ruin them, usually the ones knocking on things wreck their tendrils, I hope your poor baby is ok.

Shaun ...???? do you mean our Wayne or the Waynes (2 of them over there at least) over the pond at BGI ?
nice pics of the teensy one ^_^

How are you pods holding on everyone ? is will be a waiting game now to see what happens with the frost ...might be early ...dang !!!!

chrissy

This message was edited Apr 11, 2012 11:48 AM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9077684

Wayne from England he has some of my seed from my blog so he wants to see more pic's

I lost a pod the other day with the heavy rain & strong wind from 'DRC' X.'Old Apricot' but there are 2 more of them on the plant thank me hahahah
all other pods seem to be doing alright

i have had success crossing GHA X.aurea(form) so they are different varieties i am still crossing the aurea's so i will have some more results in soon
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 10, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9077728

Sorry to hear Jean that my plants have not done so well for you. I guess just a bit too cold.

Here is a little 'Bucks Fizz' x noid.

Pink 'Bucks Fizz' = Pink Champagne?

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 10, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9077742

wow ...isn't that interesting and pretty too !
These Brugs are real packages of surprises ^_^
Thanks for showing us ...learning every day !

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 10, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9077743

You've done it again, Wayne! Or rather, the bees in your garden have :-) (They have terrific instincts ...)
Such a cutie, and the name is perfect. Congratulations!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 10, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9077746

Shaun that is great ...we will be watching those Aurea crosses for sure !
We know there are 3 different ones at least.
Lovely to know those seeds got over to England, I hope they do well for him.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 10, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9077760

Did you send him some Aztec Gold seeds, Shaun? As I gather they were rather interested in AG in the UK--an Aussie cultivar--because it seems to flower quite well in cooler weather ... (Compared with many of the other warm-climate brugs.)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 10, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9077806

Shaun, very interesting to hear you have crossed the two aureas. I may try it myself here.

Wayne, its been real up & down weather in my particular area for a year or so . I will cut all the brugs back hard and see how they do after that.
Yours are all still all here, just very slow growers . I am hoping that a repot and a move to a different area will move them along more.
I do now have a Y on the 2 Pink Panthers. One was very badly infested with the mites but the other didnt get any
Sister Bertrille has now put on a spurt of growth.
Mea Culpa was very badly affected by the spider mites.
I am sure they will make up for their slowness now they have reached a decent size.

It isnt a matter of the cuttings coming from a warmer to a cooler place, as the early cuttings from Chrissy , Alistair and a couple of others from up north are doing well.
I think its just like people, the individual pieces are themselves a bit temperamental. .

I am still getting those darn mites despite it being colder now.
The arboreas were the last to be affected and are finding it hard to shake them off no matter what I spray.
I suppose the real winter cold will kill the mites eventually.

Its all about the joys ( and pitfalls ) of gardening.
No good everything being perfect.
What would we have to complain about ?...lol

Jean.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 10, 2012
11:36 PM

Post #9077916

It is curious, the colours that come from a batch of seedlings. That little 'Bucks Fizz' x noid was from a batch of ten plants. Two were pink, the rest white. No orange. This one, like its pod parent has plenty of blooms. See how it goes Chrissy. Just a curiosity I guess.

I will be needing a machete to get through 'Mea Culpa', 'Giant' and 'Sister Bertrille' come the end of winter. All big growers here. I guess local conditions - where they were raised, well suits them. No mites thank goodness.

I have taken Alistair's advice and pollinated 'Tantra' with the seedling, 'Musketeer x 'Fernando' and visa versa. 'Tantra' is not only mite resistant, but has the propensity to throw doubles. So fingers crossed! :)

Cold here! :(

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
1:28 AM

Post #9077968

Cestrum i have only sent over the aurea group to the UK he was not interested in an other,,,

Wayne i have found that Tantra is not Mite resistant and have had problems all summer with it but still dose not detur me from crossing it with others like EP, aurea(form) and a few others it will help as it has a yellow aurea in it genes ad that means there is a good chance of doubles & yellows also.

Jean i have about 2 pods on it so far and im keeping fingers crossed for a mature pod because the 1st pod was aborted for sum unknown reason

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 11, 2012
2:03 AM

Post #9077977

# 1 FFA, gorgeous in gold and 2 skirts under the corolla
# 2 Autumn Sunrise
# 3 GHA...how evenly it flowers, almost a straight line.
# 4 PP...beautiful in winter cream...just a bit early.
# 5 Clementine...No 1 in perfume for me.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2012 12:14 AM

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 11, 2012
3:00 AM

Post #9077985

ohhh beautiful Dianne, I am so happy you are getting the gold coppery colour on FFA it actually had some 4 skirts last Autumn, it goes a richer shade than that too and the inner skirts look lit up by an inner light.
Your Autumn Dawn is lovely and who can resist that spinning bud effect on a PP bud.
The ever Beautiful, ever fragrant Clementine is a joy !
The glorious GHA what can we say they hasn't been said about that lovely thing ^_^
Fingers crossed for your FFA X double white ...yay crosses with doubles !!!

Wayne your Tantra crosses ...fingers crossed there too, sounds wonderful.
Thankyou for the bits today Wayne ...it's very cold here, but I will do my very best to give good results. I have more time to do the nurturing now.

2012 is the year our doubles commence for real in Australia ...what a great thrill.
Watching all the new generations is so exciting too, seeing all these lovely Grand kids coming through ...who ever imagined a Champagne Pink Buck's Fizz ? Love the sound of that, looks like it will have the energy of BF in it's flushes.

Looking forward to seeing the blooms from cestrum's knightii crosses too.

I see Alistair has two stunning pink doubles from Monika, I am not sure if they are here in Australia, or across the pond.

Exciting times ...hopefully the weather won't be too cruel in the next few months.

Enjoy your cocoa everyone !

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 11, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9078761

That was quick Chrissy! Glad that they arrived OK. Sorry to be so skimpy on the 'Musketeer x 'Fernando' - as I mentioned, waiting to see if the x pollination with 'Tantra' took. If not, I will grow a few "Y" pieces here and post off bare rooted come spring.

Lovely pics Dianne. I am with you on 'Clementine' for fragrance! Thanks for the note on the various aurea plants. Of the three we have here, the best bloomer is what was known as "GK"... Huge amount of blooms and full on fragrance - honey and almond. The Yamina plant tends to be heavy on foliage rather than flower. Sadly "GHA" has not done well for me. Maybe too much shade. I will take some tip cuttings Jean and try again in another location.

Darn cold here too! Must get the fires organised - usually ANZAC Day in these parts.

Shaun, not good to hear that 'Tantra' is troubled by mites down your way. My mistake - "mites" should have read "virus resistant" - apologies! Mind you, 'Tantra' here is vigorous and very healthy. A lovely plant full of potential.

Here is another pic of that little "pink"... lots of blooms (if somewhat plain) for a seedling, first flush.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 11, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9078833

Just been out checking my flowers. Still not open as yet. It is quite nippy here, almost a frost.
Lucas, the other of your aureas is open and I was able to pick up the pot to smell it. To me , it is the same as GHA.
I see the stigma sticking out from the anthers as was it sibling cutting.

I looked at just about every bloom on both plants of GHA and all have the stigma hidden among the anthers.
The very odd thing is that I have a cutting from GHA flowering ,which looks exactly like aurea Lucas.
The stigma is sticking right out past the anthers as aurea Lucas does.

Weird.

Dianne, I love all your pics. So beautiful.

Wayne, its a shame GHA is not doing well for you as he seems to love everywhere he has been grown .
Mine does get full sun most of the day here.
All the aureas I have are so great at growing here. They are very hard to tell apart.

Jean.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 11, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9078848

"GHA", is just shaded out Jean. I will get those tip cuttings going before it gets too cold. The little 'Tintarella' - GHA x BB is fine. So, as I say, just too much shade.

Must get a move on... into town today to SLNSW, http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/events/exhibitions/2012/lewin/index.html?utm_source=enewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=photo%20WhatsonApril%202012%20eNews
then lunch at the Royal Bot.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 11, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9078964

Wayne, don't forget that Alistair told me on BGI that the Aurea being sold at Yamina was different to GHA,
he said that it was the closest to GK here in Australia and well worth having...so Lucas' one will be different to GHA and Macedon

Sorry Wayne, this message wasn't intended for you, I know that you are familiar with all the Aureas.

I meant to remind Shaun...too much Brug gazing I think... :-)

Personally they all look the same to me...I need something very obvious to differentiate..
That's why Ivoire is the best, sorry Jean...lol...well maybe not quite the best, looking at this pic of GHA...

This message was edited Apr 12, 2012 11:01 AM

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 11, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9078993

Dianne you might get a surprise with Ivoire ...Heart of Gold is pure White and changes colour with different conditions, it may colour a little during say 4 seasons, Heart of Gold is a lovely clotted cream today after the icy cold wind. Some Brugs go yellow in Winter and are white in Summer, and visa versa. You have seen the difference in FFA now.
Those pictures are beautiful, you have to love them both ^_^

Have fun at your event Wayne it looks Fab !
How could you call a Champagne Pink Buck's Fizz "plain" Sacrilege !

Just received my seed bank draw ...I won't plant until Spring despite itchy fingers.

Brugmansia Vixen x Rosabell

Karoline x ( Earth Angel x Sam)

KBS x Rosalie

Karoline x Fleming Island Rachel x (pod 1)

Inspiration x Orange Parfait

Thrilled !

I have definite pods on my doubles, that is such a dream come true ...I will get my special double white out of them for sure ! ^_^

What pods are you dreaming about on your trees huh ?
It is going to be wonderful !

Jean have you thrown some potash at your big plants ? that would be my next step on a huge shy bloomer.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 11, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9079184

Chrissy, not only did I get a surprise with Ivoire, but also Topsy and Zabaglione...
With the weather being so changeable, I couldn't tell if it was the heat or the cold that caused it, but one day a couple of weeks ago, those three were all apricot and stayed like it for a couple of days...
it was especially noticeable with Topsy, because he is snow white all the time...
Even now the Pink Panthers are all white...
I think that is a big part of their charm...you just don't know, do you...

I am hoping for something special from the GHA x Angioletto, maybe something yellow...
PP x Ivoire = a pink Aurea?
White double x RFP, = who knows
White double x FFA = something gorgeous
FFA x white double = ditto

And don't forget the PP fasc twins x RFP = whatever grows, should be big... lol

Jean, is that flower out yet?...I feel as though I've had my fingers crossed for weeks... :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 12, 2012
12:33 AM

Post #9079204

I know Sugar Pink has orange in her because I have seen her turn orange pink under different conditions, Lipstick Pink does too.
Zabaglione does too. Topsi has a Versicolor look and probably has Apricot/Orange in her.
It's very interesting to see these changes.
GHA x Angioletto will give you yellows for sure ! If possible in the future I would say to try it with FFA too for possible yellow doubles.

New doors open after seeing A Buck's Fizz in Champagne Pink as well, I thought I saw a pink stain around the rim a couple of times and thought I must be imagining things.

Lots to look forward to.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9079288

Dianne All your Babies look so good FFA Looks like orange swirl lice cream mmmmmmmmmm did some one say Ice cream!!!!!
Autumn Sunrise looks nice with the inner skirt being a little darker then the outer skirt WOW
I also hope your crosses do well also looking forward to hearing about them

Wayne Good luck with Tantra cross she can be a bit picky with what she takes on but she is fertile from what i have found
sorry about the confusion on FB about Champagne Pink Buck's Fizz she is pretty
Chrissy those crossed from BGI are quite nice especially Vixen x Rosabell i think this could come out with some thing nice for you

I have been out side today there is not much happening lots of blooms and Dr Seuss [pic 1&2]is looking AMAzInG

Here is my first bloom of Munchausen [pic 3]still in Pale mode but nice tendrils looking at crossing with BB

BB pic 4
aurea (Barkley St) pic 5

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 12, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9079391

Lovely Pics Shaun !
I love Dr Seuss with his tendrils flipped up ^_^
Good luck with your crosses,
Yes I like the seeds, but you don't have much choice though I am very grateful,
I wish we could order specific crosses don't you ?
Never mind, we are almost to a point where we can just cross our own for great Brugs.
Edited: to say that we don't have Munchausen Pink in the BGI Gallery so take a full face,and a side on picture tomorrow, and we should get it into a slot there. Meanwhile the Others are good to go into each existing place there. When you are ready, show them off.

chrissy

This message was edited Apr 12, 2012 11:59 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 12, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9080024

Lovely pics everyone.
I have been out telling my blooms to get a move on and open.
Just a sneak peek at the two flowers slowly opening

Pic 1... OE you can see the pink already but all these blooms will be badly damaged from the continuous wind.
I think with further flushes , OE will drop her skirts properly as I can see them coming down more this time.

pic 2... Gen x Roth 2 skirts plainly visible .

Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 12, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9080056

Whoo hoo...it's about time, but I think that the wait is going to be worth it, on both counts.
Perfect weather, now Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 12, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9080062

Wonderful Jean ...the second shot looks very promising !!!! can't wait ^_^

So sorry you have the darned wind, it does so much damage, we have had it here for two days, lovely sun but cold wind.
Cool temps slows the blooms right down. They seem to stay Green for ages.
Edited because I forgot to say ...can I see a bit of pink in that second shot Or is it my screen ?

This message was edited Apr 13, 2012 10:10 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 12, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9080149

There is a tinge of pink on the Gen x Roth, Chrissy. Maybe by tonight I may see a bit more.
I am so glad that OE has decided to stop being bashful and drop her other skirt.
Maybe not a perfect flower this year with the windbashing, but augers well for the future.

I had to laugh at PP.
As I said, the flower totally collapsed and is hanging there like dead fish but the darn silly thing still turned pink. .. weird...
Jean

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 12, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9080404

Just received the pollen, Shaun...thank you.

Also some seeds from iBrugs...
I am very fond of Angel's Goldface...so I ordered these.
Rosalie x A. Goldface
Ludger's Windsong x A.GF
Inca Sun x A.GF

As a bonus I received Ludger's Windsong x ?
Brautwaltzer x Ludger's Windsong
I didn't know Brautwalzer so I looked it up...it's a double white.
Bridesmaid x Rubirosa...so it's got a double dose of Rothkirch, then some Charleston and Ecuador Pink...
as Chrissy said, roll on Spring..

I must be crazy, I have a little GH full of seedlings already..everywhere you look there are seedlings.
I know you are all the same...lol
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 12, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9080426

Dianne, you are definitely going brug crazy. Not like little ol me. who NEVER buys any new brug seeds ...LOL
Who am I fooling. I just received about 50 . I may have to save up to buy another greenhouse or move out of this house and let the brugs in...
I like the sound of the Bridesmaid x Rubirosa..
Shaun, seeds are popping up from the DP&G cross. I am very pleased to see them .
I think its so cute.

Still watching my flowers and also the pollinated ones on GHA

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 12, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9080427

They sound great Dianne ...too many ? never.
Love LWS ...it needs shade though, one of my Ludger's Windsong seedlings is almost an exact copy but it hates heat, should do well for you down there.
Not too much to show today thanks to the cold wind and now heat.
pic 1 2 3 Fernando 4 Heart of Gold turning a creamy colour now, and 5 look at Calamine ...lovely colour ! not pink but melon ...very pretty !
I am impressed with Fernando it lasted very well, even after being torn up for pollen. It's a real beaut !

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 12, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9080430

I hide on Friday the 13th :(

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 12, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9080450

Jean, I just knew that you would want some of those...but I think that I confused you...
What I have is Brautwalzer x LWS...the Brautwalzer is the Bridesmaid x Rubirosa baby.
Fred has a very high opinion of it evidently...read the text...
Translated it means Bridal Waltz...feeling romantic?...what a pretty name for a white double.
I though that it sounded like a sausage...lol

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 12, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9080455

Chrissy a technical question for you...
Why do we wash the seeds?
Don't they keep as well if we don't...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 12, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9080466

I don't know why we wash the seeds, except to tell you it was the way I read it.
After washing the Aurea I definitely think the slimy gel probably prohibits germination, or the gel might stop the seeds from drying out properly (causing fungal issues) ...just my opinion.
Of course it could be so you won't absorb any strange effects while handling them too. I do it just because it seems sensible, but make sure you dry them well if you want to store them.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 12, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9080472

i am afraid I am not the pampering type.
I dont wash the seeds or soak them. I did try with some of the first ones, but found it made no difference what I did.
They will grow if they want whatever you do.
Now I just plant the little darlings . If I feel inclined, I may peel a few of the larger ones in each lot .

Ah I see, A granny moment for me. It does sound like a sausage doesnt it.

I am looking forward to seeing my Cherub x babies grow.

Just been peeping around the corner at OE & co.
Poor OE has so much wind damage and also overweight problems. She is popping out of her corsets.
I am hoping that when I take a piece of her and put in a more sheltered area ( if I can find one ) she will act more like a gentlewoman and not bust her corsets. .
Methinks she raids the kitchen at night. Tubby thing.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 12, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9080475

I was talking about the fresh seeds Jean not the ones we buy.
Some particularly the Aurea are really so slimy it clings to your fingers like Choko juice.
I am talking also about ones you want to store.
The ones that have actually shrivelled on the tree may not be slimey but since I check one in ten seeds before sending them out I like to wash off any juice that may not be good for handling by some.

Sorry to hear about your battered beauty, never mind ...next time.Picture is my LWS seedling beautiful but needing shelter or it melts.

chrissy

This message was edited Apr 13, 2012 4:20 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 12, 2012
11:01 PM

Post #9080489

Thanks Chrissy, they really are sticky aren't they.
I left some to dry naturally and the others I rinsed..the rinsed ones dried very quickly but the natural ones still aren't 100% dry...that probably is the reason...I'll keep some of both and see if the unrinsed keep as well or will they be prone to fungal attack...anyone want seeds, lol
I have taken the un named pods off PP...way to many to plant.
Thanks for the tip on LWS too.

That OE is just too demanding Jean, I'd have a heart to heart with her.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 12, 2012
11:33 PM

Post #9080496

Sorry Chrissy, a granny moment again
Ah yes, I remember when I did my seeds pods. I had forgotten. It seems so long ago.

How are all Sweet Jaffa's babies going out there ?
Mine are growing strongly just like their dad , GHA

Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 13, 2012
12:46 AM

Post #9080508

I don't wash the seeds either, just let them dry for a long time before bagging them. None has gone mouldy although I don't know if washing them would make a difference to germination or seedling-survival rates. Must confess, I am well and truly seeded out.
Chrissy, Fernando looks apricot-orange in the third photo of Post #9080427--just a quirk of the camera?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 13, 2012
1:44 AM

Post #9080520

In full sun it is like the first shot but in the shade it is a strong coral colour. When I say shade I mean underneath shots which are in the semi leaf shelter of the canopy. My camera washes colour out because of the flash though, it is a lovely intense colour.
I think fresh seeds germinate easily if they are fertile regardless, but I read somewhere that the seeds can cause reactions, so because of the sliminess I washed them, it was quite hard to get it off my fingers.
My first venture into brugs showed them being washed before drying when freshly harvested, so that is why I do it. The seeds in most pods feel dry so I don't bother washing those, it seems to only be in the Aurea that you find that sticky slime.
Edited to say three Knightii crosses of yours popped up today :) I hope they can get enough roots on them to survive Winter, I might nurse them inside.

chrissy

This message was edited Apr 13, 2012 7:52 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 13, 2012
1:58 AM

Post #9080522

Jean, mine are all still going but evidently I'm doing something that they don't like, because they are dragging their heels a bit...
very slow in fact...but as I have said previously, I am not a good seedling mother...because they germinated very quickly, but they will be ok in Spring.
Sounds as though yours will be the first of SJ's to flower...just out of curiosity, which pod are your seedlings from or did you plant some of each? Mine are from pod #2...cestrum did you plant some too?

The second flower on my Autumn Sunrise is a single with lots of petaloids in the throat...which makes it handy for pollinating...
My Tantra does the same thing, so does PP and Knightii...
Both of the Knightii pods that are growing were from single flowers...
I know cestrum...more seeds :-)
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9080585

Jean your plant flower bud looks like it's had a herd time trying to get out it looks like the sanguinea yellow trying to struggle & Gen x Roth looks like much potential there

Dianne its so funny that your seed got here from Ibrug before mine as i was the first to order from there and help get some of the glitches out of there systems, wonder what has happened lol but they do have some interesting crosses there hay>
i was going to send some of my seed to Ibrug till i found that they are selling them at $3 each i don't think that it is fair that they make so much $ when i (we) whom may supply them with seed have to pay large amounts for the privlige, so it seems like BGI will be getting majority of mine.

Chrissy Fernando looks Hot and the others look good also

I have just received a pack of arborea (Wildform) Wohooooo i have not had a wild form of anything just waiting on a little more info about them

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 13, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9080625

BGI draw seeds are free Shaun. You are paying for your draw if they charged you $3.00. at the other place.
I have the wild form Arborea, so if your seeds don't work out I will send you some of mine when they are ripe. Mine were from Alistair and they self seed,smell just like 4711 cologne.
Fernando is hot Shaun ! I hope he will make beautiful babies next year.
It isn't so much the money but the principle, it's supposed to be for your membership draw isn't it ? were you charged post too ?

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 13, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9080641

I'm very lucky that they got thru at all, Shaun..
I asked them to put Brugmansia candida on the outside declaration as well as per pkt, so the seeds wouldn't be held up by customs..
They did neither...luckily they weren't inspected...if they had been we would have had to go thru all the rigamarole again..
Maybe that's where your's are...

Are your seeds an Arborea T, that's a self fertile wildform?
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9080666

Chrissy the seed cost $3 each & the P&H cost $5
QUOTE::Proceeds from the sale of seeds benefit the International Brugmansia and Datura Society, a 501c3 non for profit organization. hahhaha

I have just confirmed that they are wild form weather 'S' or 'T' i have no idea can you tell???
Wayne got if from Kew Gardens labelled as Wildform? if not i have no idea about it first Arborea i have so i'm not to fussed at the moment

I did ask Fred to label them all as candida or they would not get throw but the seed was coming from another member whom has probably no knowledge of the process for sending seed to Australia but most places know this by now also with so many of us getting seed sent from overseas.

Thumbnail by SolMan

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 13, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9080749

Shaun, just been over to BGI and looked at your Knightii vs Tutu forum...kind of Alice to try to cross them for you.
We have Tutu genes here through Charleston, he's Tutu x Kascade, he's a big beautiful double white.
My first seed purchases were all Charleston crosses, just coming into flower now.

Re the Arboreas, this from Alan "Hurstwood" a while back.
Arborea 'S' which is a non self fertile hybrid from Stybrig (?)
Arborea 'T' which is a wildform self fertile
Arborea Ida x which is a self fertile cross fom Arborea Ida
Arborea 'Euro' is self fertile but I have no history for
Engelsglockchen which is a on self fertile hybrid
and now the Australian Arborea which is self fertile.

So if your's is the wildform it has to be "T"

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 1:19 AM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9081280

Dianne i have seen this and find it interesting to see, im not 100% sure of what variety it is but it dose look like 'T' so i have to just grow it out and see what grows,
Chrissy thank for the offer of the wild form from Alistair's original seed lots from your pod i may look forward to some seed ?/?

they sent some seed in 2 packages 4 seed were is a moist towel in a plastic bag and 10 seed in an envelop the moist seed were squashed and no longer viable so this is a method that should not be employed to help your friends with promotion of germination in mail

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 13, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9081305

Sent in moist paper towels ??? what the ?????
Never heard of doing it that way, it does not sound right to me.
Of course you can have some of the seed from here,
The Australian ones in the UK were mine via an ex member here (from the seed bank I had going).

chrissy

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 13, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9081330

My arborea is on its last legs; just doesn't like it in my garden so I won't try growing it again. Not unless I move back to Melb :-)
Moist towels? In years of buying (mainly non-brug) seeds from overseas, I have never received any this way. Failure to write the botanical name is the most common problem I've encountered; the inclusion of surprise 'bonus' seeds was a long second.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 13, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9081333

TA DA>>>>>>>>>

Opened this morning, my new double baby... Genevieve x Rothkirch..

Isnt she just lovely ?

I measured her from the top of the calyx...9".
Not huge , but I dont want huge..

I will go down tonight with the torch to see what her perfume is like..

Still 2 buds to open on the plant..She had that cheeky aurea habit of looking at you but has hung her head a bit now with the flower opening.

Meet Senorita Rosada...

( edited to change name , spelling etc was wrong )

Jean

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 4:31 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 13, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9081340

I also had a peek up the skirts of OE. No wonder she is so tubby, I can see what looks like a third skirt hiding in there.

It will interesting to see her next year when she is more mature.
She is still struggling to get herself looking decent this morning , so no pics.

Shaun, I also have 2 of the wild form courtesy of Chrissys seeds.
They both flowered this year but are having a sulk now due to the spider mites . I found they do quite well here .

Sending seeds anywhere even a short distance in anything damp is plain stupidity. Seeds are meant to be kept dry until planted.
I would be complaining if I paid for them.
At the very least the person needs to be told before they send more to others.

I have had no problem with any of my OS seeds as long as they are labelled brugmansia on the outside .
Fred and other reputable sellers like Arghya do this. BGI also.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 13, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9081365

Oh Jean Congratulations !!!!
She looks very petite is she ? and she has dad's green throat ...lovely !
Senorita Rosada ...welcome ...looks like we are building quite a collection of delicious double/triple pinks.
I am so pleased for you ...you have waited so long so this is well deserved ! ^_^

Yippeeee !!!!!!

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 7:28 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 13, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9081373

Jean, I knew that someone so slow getting dressed would turn out to be spectacular...
She is a beauty...and where did Fraulein Rosado come from, I must say that I do like it.
Sounds like the heroine out of a book...I can see the blonde plaits.
I won't be forgetting that name in a hurry.
A third skirt to come as well...wow.
Congrats.

Ivoire wants to be introduced, he's in love.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 13, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9081398

*Our lovely double/triple Pinks*

Senorita Rosada
Autumn Sunrise
Twilight Time
Opale Etoile
Fernando
Pink Knight
Peanut x Ruffles and Flourishes - cestrum
Phanomenal x Superspot x 2 -cestrum
Salmon Perfektion x Dorthea -cestrum

Wow they are adding up aren't they ^_^
Plus whatever Alistair has besides those two Pinks from Monika.
Congratulations everyone !

You can do ...
♫ .♥.* ★`*♫.*..♥ ♫
☀...MAGIC... ☀☀
♫ .♥.* ☀`*♫.*.☀.♥
┊ ┊┊ ┊☀┊ ┊ ┊┊ ☀ه
ه┊ ☀ ┊ ┊ ི♥ྀ
☀ ┊┊ ☀ه
ه┊ ☀!!!

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 10:08 AM

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 7:24 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 13, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9081450

Dianne, I was telling her that she was such a pretty pink lady and Senorita Rosada is the Spanish for that.
Sounds so much more refined than pink lady ( she didnt want to have the same name as an apple anyway )

Now if only we can get OE to get herself in order and lower her skirts properly I may have my first triple.

I can see the skirt up there, but it may take her a while to learn how do behave.
Last flush she couldnt even get her second skirt out right, so we live in hope.

Its all so exciting , considering the short time we have been playing with our brugs.
Now I can be like Chrissy and look for that elusive bloom I really want.
A smallish creamy apricot double. If I can get a flower just like Senorita Rosada , but creamy apricot, I will be in brug heaven.

Jean.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 4:32 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 13, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9081645

I must admit, looking at all those doubles does your heart and eyes, good.
When you think about it, we were lucky coming into Brugmansias, when we did...
The hard work has been done in Europe and the US, so we can just play...
What a way to play...all those wonderful genes at our fingertips...

Chrissy with her white double, Jean now has decided on a creamy/apricot double, everyone else with whatever they fancy..my dream flower changes every week.
At first it was one like Charleston, hence the Charleston seeds, then it was one like Fernando, Lemon Meringue
and a shredded pink... Jacayna is one that I have always liked, so I always look out for it's seeds...
What a dilemma...what fun...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 13, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9081681

i had to remove a flower from OE. It was bulging in all the wrong places and was never going to open properly.
Inside were three skirts all sewn together at various places. The long outside corolla was about 10" long when unravelled.

I still have 2 blooms that may open better so I can get a look inside. Hopefully next year the whole plant will be stronger and I do hope the frumpy, tubby girl can diet and learn to control her underskirts.

Senorita Rosada did have a whisper of scent when I stuck my nose right in. . Nothing heavy and rich like GHA .
Elusive, as it was morning.
I'll definitely get out there tonight. I dont have Chrissy's nose, but I will try to describe what she smells like .
I threw some GHA pollen at her as a double GHA would be nice.

I did manage to rescue pollen from the OE bloom I operated on.
It will be tried on the next SR bud to open.

Jean.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 4:34 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9081707

Jean congrats on SF she is a beautiful Spanish
Lady. I hope that she drops her under skirts so
That you have your triple
I can't wait till my seeds from spring bloom in
About 12-18 months so still a long wait as I see
I'm not really that far behind the rest of you guys

Those arborea seed were more of an experiment
From the person that sent them that is why there
Was an envelope with fresh dry seed also. I have
Been doing gardening and a horticultrlural gardener
(Australian native) is why I'm not interested in at all
For over 25years now and have never sent see this way
Ever, but oh well just a chance that it could have
The collection of doubles are growing by the day if not weeks grrr
I'm praying for all of your babies to do well because it will help me in the
Advancement of my seed and crosses that I may get
Shaun

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 4:52 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 13, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9081735

Jean some doubles take a little time to get themselves sorted, some of the very best started out in that way.

Shaun yes I know you feel you must rush to catch up, but we have been at this OS hybrid growing for awhile, it didn't happen overnight (though I think we are making rapid progress, now we have some good Genes to mix with the really strong genes here).
Think of it this way, when we first started out we could only imagine pink doubles far off into the future).
Well it wasn't that far after all. Fernando is a very fine start for you, we certainly had nothing like that when we started swaps. You are coming in on a few rungs up the Brug double ladder.
Funnily enough I do not think that doubles are better than singles, it's just at the moment they are rarer, as specially here, but that will change pretty fast no doubt.
I think Alistair has a few surprises up his sleeve too. ^_^ meanwhile it's been like Christmas as each new seedling blooms.

Edited to say I meant doubles are not really better than singles oopsy !

chrissy

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 10:37 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 13, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9081753

Everyone please note that I made a mistake in the name of my new baby. The translation wasnt right so I have edited my posts.
Chrissy could you edit yours too please..
Its now been checked and is ... SENORITA ROSADA...
She has a spanish dancers costume and senorita sounds very ladylike.

Sorry for the mistake.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 14, 2012
12:30 AM

Post #9081776

Senorita Rosada is really flicking up her skirts in the 2nd and 3rd pics Jean...
What will her daughters be like...
Can you see her parents in her?
Fingers crossed now for Opale Etoile...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 14, 2012
3:18 AM

Post #9081819

Jean Senorita Rosada is looking like you can both grab that pollen and dab some pollen in that bloom.
It is such a great advantage to have access to those reproductive parts easily.

This is for your beautiful Angel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGd6CdtOqEE

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 14, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9081844

Back there ...somewhere during a grannie moment I said something silly, re doubles and triples, this is what I meant, I went back and edited it but in case you missed the edit.
Doubles are not really better than singles oopsy ! just rarer right now, always loving a beautiful single very much too.
The spiral opening on a single is very hard to beat.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9082286

Wow, Jean, Seniorita Rosada is a beauty! In fact, I have enjoyed all of the beauties on this thread! Nice to see you, Wayne! And how ignorant of me not to realize that you can plant brug seeds! Live and learn all the time. Thanks to you all for the lovely parade of blooms!
Louise
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 14, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9082490

Jean congratulations . Senorita rosada sure is a beauty. There certainly is a lovely lot of brugs coming on. Well done everyone. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 14, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9082499

Just been down to see the Senorita.
She is shy with her perfume. I had to wait until about 10.30pm last night before she decided to share it with me.
To me , a very light scent , maybe baby powdery. Not as strong as her neighbor OE.
The perfume on OE is more like a lovely whiff of Tabu.
I am still waiting on the other blooms to open fully. Senorita Rosada is quite shy about coming out in public but she looks quitw flirty when she does.
I love her twirly skirts and those tendrils.

There is definitely a third skirt in OE but we wont see much of it this time. Maybe with a bit more maturity.
Now I have the next brug with a bud , Mango Cornet.
We know this one so not so exciting.
I still have Super Pink x Apricot Queen buds to open.

That will be the end of all the new blooms but then I will be watching to see if I get any pods from my pollinating efforts.

pic 1... Senorita Rosada this morning.
pic 2 ... 3 skirts on Opale Etoile ( poor battered baby )
pic 3 ... another wind damaged bloom on OE.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 14, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9082565

Well Loise ...you found our Brug thread, Welcome to Brug nutsville ^_^

Jean the sweet Spanish lady is lovely in her swirls ...dancing a flamenco !

I wanted to show you all just how teensy this little dwarf Pink and Green is compared to a medium sized bloom.
I think perhaps it is probably too small to be what we hoped it might be (Rothkirch) however I believe it is a real rarity.
Just the " dwarfed " size alone makes it unusual and rare.
I see a resemblance in the side ways shot to Sugar Pink ...wonder if it is in SP who is a very petite trumpet.
Look at shot 3 ...like SP except for the calyx. SP is a bit larger but also very petite.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 14, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9082572

Just the smallness is a bonus to try for nice pot sized plants.
I would cross sit with everything just for curiosity to see what comes .
Jean
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

April 14, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9082604

Jean... I just love your delicate little double pink Renorita Rosada!! I agree with your thoughts about being a good plant for pot growth.
Dianne..I have seedpods forming on my Fernando and Mango Cornet using your PP(fasciation) pollen which you kindly posted to me. Sadly the attempt to pollinate FFA was not successful. In fact I am having trouble getting ANY seedpods to form on FFA. Has anyone else found FFA to be a reluctant seedpod setter or is it just me?
Allan..

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 8:08 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 14, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9082623

I haven't been able to reach mine Allan, but a shorter above y piece bloomed recently and I had a choice to pollinate it or use the pollen, I chose to use the pollen and it was successful as a pollen parent, next flush I will try it the other way.
In some plants the Brugs require coolish moist conditions for success, I do not know if this is the case with FFA, cestrum may have some results.
They love your Fernando over at BGI.
More please sir !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9082635

Chrissy there are just early blooms they do get bigger when it is in full bloom about 5-7" not hugh but a stunning desplay.

here are a few comparisons to think about with this babe
yes it's not Rothkirch but i think it may have some of it's genes in it

Chrissy comparing it to a different species cross is lick comparing (Apples & Oranges)any thing can look hugh or tiny if you put it against something from the opposite end of the scale
So i thought that many of you guys kknow BB & GHA this is a better comparison

Jean Senorita Rosada is dancing like she never danced before hahah yeh cos there were no other flowers Duh, and poor OE he needs therapy befor spring so he can straighten him self out, but looks like some potential there

and i have another cross that could be as small as DP'n'G but have to wait to see when it blooms again i cut it back and took a trunk cutting stupid me so got to wait it is a cross between Tantra X aurea(form)

This message was edited Apr 15, 2012 11:33 AM

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 11:30 PM

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 14, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9082640

Great comparison shots, Shaun. That must be the dwarf pink before it colours ...
Have two small pods on the bucket-grown FFA (i.e. the reachable one) that were pollinated in late summer, but won't know if they're viable until harvest. (Although no reason to suspect they aren't.) Didn't seem to be a hard one to pollinate, so long as the blooms were within reach, unlike my Dr Seuss X which bloomed relatively well over summer but would not set a single seedpod during the period.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 14, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9082672

So are you saying the bloom gets bigger after some more growth ?
That is different in itself, quite unusual for me. Most of my brugs give the size straight off.
You had better go to BGI and tell them the blooms get bigger, I have just asked for comments, but did not know the blooms get bigger. I kind of like it as it is. Does it lose the greenish parts as it gets bigger ? my Tenshi starts out with green rimmed skirts and throat but loses it later as the colour intensifies.
Thanks for that info.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 14, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9082762

I forgot to say cestrum good luck with those FFA pods ^_^
I couldn't find any problems with the insides of FFA and I remember using it successfully as a pollen parent in the past before it got too big, so there were some hidden FFA genes in the earlier surprise seeds.
Most of the people I sent seeds out to, are not around and some were from other sites. Guess I won't ever know what happened to most of the seeds I sent out.
So long as it got people loving Brugs I don't mind but it is a shame.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9082779

the blooms don't get very big crissy about 1 more inch or so the green dose get lost as the bloom matures, i also think the colder weather will retain the green a little longer then the warmer weather.
I should have measured the blooms in summer when they are in full bloom mode

DP'n'G is the smallest bloom in my collection (other then the Tantra X aurea(form)) which i have only had 2 flowers on it and they were very small just popping out the calyx.

i have noticed that the cooler weather makes some varieties flowers smaller or is it just my Imagination??? this is also what i think with DP'n'G & Dr Seuss so ill leave this alone till you get a good flush on your plant in spring.

pic 1 measurement
pic 2& 3 shaded colouration
4 full sun colouration

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 11:27 PM

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 14, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9082878

I love her, Shaun. She looks like a small pink GHA.

I am watching a bud on her here at the moment.

It will be quickly pollinated by GHA as he is standing right next to her.
I only have to grab a flower and introduce the two.

Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 14, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9082894

Dianne, I have a bud on "Ivoire" She's only about 18" high but very lush and healthy. . Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 15, 2012
12:44 AM

Post #9082935

Well done, Colleen.
Just stand back now, it will grow while you watch it.

Alan, glad that you have had success with the pollen, the twin ovaries are growing so we might get a pod...
Here is your beautiful Fernando after the wind destroyed the other flowers...this one had it's dress torn off now it's in it's petticoat...
Look at that split corolla, remember the pink hankie, that I thought Culebra would provide...just maybe Fernando, has the capability...I wonder if they start like this...I must inquire if shredded ones pass the genes down...I don't know anything about them.
The other pics are of course Clementine...I am well on my way to have several of these plants around the garden in pots...
The last pic is a pod? on the double white x RFP...weird shape isn't it.

DP&G is a pretty one isn't it...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 15, 2012
12:55 AM

Post #9082937

[quote="DeadlyNight"]

DP&G is the smallest bloom in my collection (other then the Tantra X aurea(form)) which i have only had 2 flowers on it and they were very small just popping out the calyx.
[/quote]

Shaun, what colour is your Tantra x ?
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2012
1:10 AM

Post #9082940

of what i can remember it is a cream butter color not a white and not a yellow like aurea
i just found a few pics not the best but will do for the moment
This is Tantra Xaurea(form)

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 15, 2012
1:39 AM

Post #9082945

Nice :-)
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2012
2:28 AM

Post #9082953

Dianne the cross is a little beauty, I have 4 other's from the same cross that has not as yet bloomed and went under the knife the same way so it looks like spring before any of them get flowers on them, I have now learnt the lessons of a fool hahahah
im now hoping for a semi double with the same color
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 15, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9083687

Just rushing in and out quickly. Off to Mt Gambier soon.
Heres the little Senorita still in her dancing dress with her sibling, this morning.

Must more inclined to show off her delicate perfume last night. I was able to get the full effect just on dusk.
Cheeky little miss.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9083933

Very pretty sibling too, Jean!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 15, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9083992

Well, this morning, I woke up to 4 of the prettiest faces, I have ever seen...
This is a cross between Angel's Flight x Charleston...
They are pretty in profile, but up facing they are lovely...how much the weather has to do with the colour, we won't know until next Spring...Charleston itself has been a pollen and pod parent to many different coloured offspring and some of the pics that I have seen of AF show a lot of colour...so if it keeps it's colours in Spring, I will be very happy...probably the nearest thing to Jaycana's lovely colours, that I will see.
I wonder if the name Gelati has been taken...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 15, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9084029

Well worth the wait, Dianne!
Such a lovely colour combo, even if it weren't a double.
Here, I've just got pinks in flower at the moment. Pink is the new black in my garden LOL

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 15, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9084062

Dianne congratulations, such a beautiful bloom. Lots of lovely pinks too Cestrum. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 15, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9084065

Wow ...I am in love with your beautiful Angel Dianne, it looks like it will have great colouring ...well worth all the work and the wait !
Congratulations ! it has a glowing heart, a magical look I love.

Cestrum Pink is glorious in your garden, but hey I think white will be the new Black :))))

Beautiful pics everyone, the dream has come true !
Wondrous things are happening in our gardens **♥*..*❤

Chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 15, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9084071

Hey Shaun I am waiting with the smelling salts for when you see Dianne's latest Angel ...**♥*..*❤

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 15, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9084073

And Jacayna is a single, so your new lovely is in a class of its own Dianne :-)
Great parents, so great breeding potential too. (Think of the range of colours its seedlings could be: what a palette to choose from!)
But quite beautiful in its own right.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 15, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9084094

It's that moment ...when only your eyes have gazed upon this brand new flower, it's the only one in the whole World and it belongs to you. Priceless and Precious !
I love Brugs.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 15, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9084130

Thanks all, it really is a special time.
Who knew this time last year, that this year cestrum would have so many delightful pinks, doubles and singles..or that Jean and I would get a double pink...
I can quite clearly remember cestrum remarking on all the whites that she had, and now look.
Great times ahead for all of us, I'm sure...
I LOVE Brugs too.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2012
11:42 PM

Post #9084185

Dianne that cross is an amazing combination of genes and the color if holds is going to be one of the loveliest babies around, congrats on the 24 months gestation period hahah i hope the fragrance takes it to a even higher level

Cestrum, Pink dose sute you and they are looking fab i bet your yard will be pink then white then yellow then green hahahaha

I was down at Diggers today to see what they had went with my sister, i went throu there garden to see if i could help them out with there names because every thing was marked wrong
there were 3 plants that i could not ID for them this is the 1st

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2012
11:51 PM

Post #9084188

and here is the second one that i have no idea of but very soft yellow

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 16, 2012
1:53 AM

Post #9084210

I can't say for sure because colours are different down there, so I borrowed this picture from Dianne
It looks a lot like Pink Panther to me but it's hard to tell from the pictures really, whatever it is the big hedge of it looks amazing.
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/6812-pink-panther/
I haven't seen every Pink In Australia in person. Colours are difficult to pin down from State to State and time of year.

I believe the big floppy yellow looks like the one up North called Golden Lion. Of course I can't be sure, just guessing from a picture. We will know all soon with Alistair's book no doubt, so just hang in there,it won't be long now, kind of a shame the final chapter won't include the new doubles and Aurea hybrids now coming along in Australia, but then, it's just the beginning isn't it. Maybe next time.

chrissy ^_^

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 16, 2012
3:24 AM

Post #9084237

ooops we have an ooopsy here Shaun the right name for the littlest Angel should be

Dwarf Pink'n'Green as registered.

wrong picture here sorry I can't remove it ...

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 16, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9084249

I have requested the name to be changed to the correct one which is Dwarf Pink'n'Green in the BGI Gallery.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9084351

Chrissy sorry about that i have only just noticed it myself when i was in the website checking out Golden Lion
naughty me hay

the abbreviation for it is DPG = Dwarf Pink'n'Green

SORRY TO ALL THAT HAVE THIS PLANT CAN ALL OF YOU PLEASE FIX UP ALL OF YOUR RECORDS TO THE NEW CORRECT NAME

Shaun thanks Chrissy

edit::: all the people i have supplied this variety i have sent a note to to mention the name has a slight change there were over 15 people world wide hahahah
and now all of you also

This message was edited Apr 17, 2012 12:18 AM

Thumbnail by SolMan

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 16, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9085258

I can't identify brugs from photos, so can't help there.
But I think the only public garden in Australia with correctly IDd brugs must be the one Alistair worked in :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 16, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9085333

Is that Pink Sweetheart cestrum ? looking mighty fine ...that colour is rich ! Have you said goodbye to your lovely doubles for now?
They do tease us so ... just as we must wave them goodbye ...boo hoo !!!

The big wet is on the way and the sprinkling that will turn into a deluge is upon us here already, (they said it would not happen until this arvo ! I had time to look around ...squish some more munchers, check innumerable seed pods and ask them if they want raincoats (sigh).
It's so strange to look at the variety of seed pods, first of all the Axelrose pod has the Axelrose type pattern on the pod ...I wonder if the seedlings will be albino, I have a couple of Axelrose seedling plants growing here (from Jean) and one is exhibiting a green on green pattern, but not the same as Axelrose, it is only half way along the leaf.
The next ones are the doubles, sort of shortish fat ones that look the same on both Twilight time and Heart of Gold. I have pods on Poison that are short and almost round ...very fat, how odd, I thought they would look like a Suaveolens but they look nothing like it ? or anything like Frosty Pink pods either. Most of the various pods look highly versicolor but fatter at the top.
Butter Bomb has it's own shape none of the other pods has that shape (like a torpedo). Not sure but it looks like there may be a small pod or two on Fernando ...they look long and thin, nothing like the other double x 's here, that too is very interesting.
Hopefully so much rain will not rot the pods off, I am worried they may split with too much water after seeing the water pour out of nipped buds. Oh well nothing I can do about it. Just wait it out.

Shaun you really get around don't you ... what other treasures have you discovered ? we will have to write a book about your wanderings and discoveries, we can call it
*Romancing the Brug*

Dianne how is your pretty baby this morning ? and Jean how is yours ? I hope HOPE is settling in for the Winter there, it may need a hoodie ^_^.
We have lots of yellow and falling leaves ...and the rain tumbles down now.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2012 11:43 AM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 16, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9085364

The pinks are all in flower now including the doubles as shown in those five photos. That last one isn't Pink Sweetie (it's the bud dropper, flowering at last, also the middle photo in the set of five) but they both share that watermelon-pink colour, as opposed to a pastel pink. Bad news is that one of the pods on FFA has withered prematurely, leaving just one. Rain here too, but mainly showers and nothing like what you're getting or about to get, from what I've heard of the NSW forecast. They say that El Nino will almost certainly follow these two seasons of La Nina so it might be very dry next summer, hard as it must be to believe now ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 16, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9085400

Yes I think it will be a real horror story when the droughts return, the fires ...I don't want to think about it.
Can hardly remember what it feels like to have to water everything by hand, gosh I don't know how we will deal with so many Brugs in drought, I thought the colour was very deep for Pink Sweetie, but my blooms are all very dark colours right now. I have a bud dropper too but that one is full of donated pods ??? if you nip the tips out you can save them (mine anyway) but I wonder if that let some little bug in early and the pods may only have a seed or two in them instead of lots. I am a sucker for the Earth Angel by Pink Smitty crosses though, love them, we will probably end up with hundreds of their babies ...you can see why those gardeners over the pond want yellows and oranges, I guess most of them have many pinks, remember how we wanted anything besides white ? ^_^ ...now white is what I want, but so far it is elusive here, even heart of Gold is a rich creamy pale gold today, beautiful but will it make my quest for double whites more difficult ? probably. Wayne got a lovely white out of Fernando (who would have thought it) so I may have to put Avalanche and Fernando together next Spring, that should give us long, long elegant whites, both single and double with heavy flushes.
Do you have any special crosses in mind ?
What special crosses do you all have in mind ?

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 16, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9085510

Chrissy, I know you love the whites and are after your elusive pure one.
I love autumn colors. Always have had a soft spot for anything in the orange/ apricot/ creamy ocher etc.

I want a small to medium double flower with the hardiness, perkiness and perfume of GHA
Color would be a creamy apricot / orange tone or off white to lemon/gold.
Dont ask for much do I ?

Like us all, I will keep trying an done day we will all get out hearts desire in the brugs.

I found 2 more buds on OE and the one Mango Cornet bud is opening well in the warm.

Super Pink x Apricot Queen is also nearly opening.

Aside form GHA and the bud on DPG thats about all I will see until spring I think.

I am putting lots of cuttings in a bucket of water and will pot in groups later to overwinter down the back.
All my adult brugs ( except for a couple still to Y and the new ones who flowered) are getting the chop for the winter.

This way , hopefully, the frost will not burn them as other years.
Besides , it gets rid of the darn spider mites too. They seem to like a particular few .
Apparently the aureas dont taste good to them so the aureas will be left as they are.

Cestrum, I see why you are not overwhelmed by Big Floppy Apricot. He has a flower which is large but so floppy and ordinary.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 16, 2012
10:00 PM

Post #9085604

I am watching the rain in NSW on TV and looking at bright sunshine here...
My latest baby does not like the sun one bit...
The AF X CH is a cool climate baby I think...all 4 of those pretty flowers are hanging like wet socks..
i took a couple of pics this morning and it was fine, but by 12 they were drooping big time..
The pics show them starting to recurve
Checked the perfume last night and it was lovely, to use Chrissy's description, "lemon cake."

Also I have had an Angel's Swingtime x Mango Crush flower, it's 3 days old and is a single, nothing very impressive, sort of an uneven yellow..ok from a distance...very nice perfume...I had two of these so I will keep it until the other one flowers.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 17, 2012
1:33 AM

Post #9085641

Dianne it needs some kinder temps ...wind does most damage. It isn't unusual for blooms to sag in heat, they usually recover in the evening.
I think it's beautiful and shows great promise. What sort of day temps were you having there ? and wind ? both cool and hot is damaging. most doubles need time to look better but that one was pretty at the outset. Can you give it some more shelter of some kind ? It looks like it's head is up high.
I have seen first timers in singles really improve with further flushes too, so fingers crossed for the other one.
Having said that, the German ones don't seem to have the big flush vigor. Edited to say perhaps in Germany they do, but they tend to be slower here in my garden (stressing my garden), no big flushes. Should do well in Victoria with some shelter, this is why you see shade cloth in some of the places that sell them I guess.
You can breed vigor into it yourself via your own future seedlings using it as a parent, though it's worth it.
Lemon cake fragrance is a big winner with me !

chrissy

This message was edited Apr 17, 2012 7:46 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 17, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9086908

I agree with that, Chrissy, the German ones are a bit sparse including the AS x MC, which incidently has darkened into a Mango colour, not the orange of BF, so it's quite nice...we had another wind storm during the night and all my big plants in pots in the open, toppled over, no real damage though...though I couldn't find the furry pod on Ivoire for a while, still there though..lots of damaged leaves.

With the Angel's Flight x Charleston, things are a bit different...it has 14 flowers on it and more are coming...I will definitely move it to the sheltered side near the verandah...It's too pretty to leave it to the elements and where it is, it's very exposed and the sun has been very warm...

The Autumn Sunrise flowers seem to be very tough, no drooping at all...only 3 of them though.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 17, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9086955

I believe your AF x C will make beautiful babies in the future, it's lovely. I believe the other is going to improve too. The single is an attractive colour too.

The weather here ? glub ...glub ...glub.

Jean I hope your buds are opening for you ...I don't know if your weather is ok but I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

cestrum ...your pinks are wonderful ! you are so lucky to still have the blooms, the rain and wind here is just trashing everything.
We will have to see what happens with pods ...worried they may split open because of too much water. Luckily there are so many, some will survive. If the big wet continues into cold weather it won't be good.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 17, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9087064

Quite warm here today but barely a breeze thank goodness. I have had enough wind .

Dianne your blooms are looking good.

Here are whats left of mine today
pic 1... Senorita Rosada who has enjoyed the warm weather. Her tendrils are getting weaker now although they will still perk up this evening in the cool. She has not wilted at all in the few warm days we have had.

pic 2...the last flower on OE... Have you ever seen a more sorry sight. ? I had to split the side so all the skirts had room to breathe.
I just hope next season she decides to behave with a lot more propriety and show her skirts properly but demurely.
Fancy getting about showing your underthings like that..

pic 3 ... Mango Cornet , nearly out. You can see the color already.

pic 4...Dianne, wave back to Ivoire and friends. Of course she is the biggest in front.

The rest of the brugs have been tidied and all the rebels who wont do as I want, have had the chop, right down to about 8" high.
They had better be on their best behaviour next season or out they go.
No room for wimps or rebels here. Plenty of new seedlings to take their place.

Going to enjoy my cuppa now.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 17, 2012
11:38 PM

Post #9087084

All of the little ones look great Jean, what are they in, a play pen?...it looks like a small enclosure...
SR is holding up well...it is a pretty one.
Do you have many buds on Mango Cornet?
There looks like a lot of skirt up there on OE, we just have to wait...sigh.

Hope the pods that you pollinated yourself are ok, Chrissy...
The first pic is a tall branch of Buck's Fizz, that has decided to go vertical..
The other is the PPfasc branch with it's flowers, somewhere in there are the twin pods, coming along nicely.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 17, 2012
11:43 PM

Post #9087085

Dianne, Ivoire and the rest of the toddlers are in between the 2 greenhouses. I have shadecloth over the space which is nice and sheltered for the small ones.
I have bird net on the open side to keep Mrs Blackbird out.
Only 1 bud on Mango Cornet.
I dont get the large flushes you all get.
I think myself lucky if I get one flower on a any brug. Maybe things will improve as they all get larger.
GHA certainly puts them all to shame. He will put out a dozen buds on a small cutting.
Dear darling boy.

Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 18, 2012
2:43 AM

Post #9087108

Jean - Heart's Desire would make a great name for that elusive brug that ticks all your boxes :)
wonder if anyone has it registered yet?
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2012
3:11 AM

Post #9087122

Jean all your babies are looking good even OE at the end of the bloom SR im sure your having a lot of fun with while she dances around the bush,

Dianne PP fasc is looking stunning with those Blooms it also looks like its over its problem of unusual blooms hope the pods work out for you also

I have SB, Munchausen, and a few others that look like there will be a flower or 2 on soon, will be nice to see some of those beauties that you guys sent to me in spring

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 18, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9087958

Can't get outside here ...love your pictures everyone !
Big wet continues, I think Wallacia Bridge might be closed today as Warragamba Dam is about to overflow. (just a few mins away).
Flooding in the lower areas around here, inches of water in many areas in my garden. We are safe because we are up higher than a lot of people.
I am glad there is nice weather somewhere and hopefully we might see some more lovely Brugs in your gardens before the Season ends.
I am missing mine already.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 18, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9087963

oops forgot to say ... Hi Teresa, yes Hearts Desire sounds lovely ! picking the working names is half the joy.

Loise ? wow I almost missed your post ...yes Jean's baby is lovely, we are getting some pretty doubles coming through here in Australia at last, it's awesome !

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2012

Post #9088004

I had a friend that went to the Melbourne flower
Show a few weeks ago and bought a brig called
Pink Tudor has any one heard of this variety
I would have said if it were the same as the label
It would be Frosty pink

Dianne I have a potential seed pod of DPG X.Ivoire
Which is about 1 1/2" long can't wait

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 18, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9088150

Never heard of that one before, no doubt lots of names will pop up in the future, unrecognized by us.
Well the clouds actually parted and we have a bit of sun out there ! it won't last long so here quickly is what is still ok so far.
The little one is one tough cookie ...looks even cuter with the rain drops ! solid and tough as old boots, it's a winner !

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 18, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9088168

Now for the pods, I see a split developing in a couple but so far these ones are in tact, a couple splitting on BB and PP.
First off this weird little seedpod on Poison ???? very odd shape, very squat, looking more like a double pod. (1)
This one is amazing ...I hope you can pick it up ,in the picture Axelrose ...the pod has the pattern of the leaves (to my eyes) (2)
Earth Angel by Pink Smitty pods (3)
Love Potion no., 9 pods (4)
My giant (unknown cross) with a donor pollen parent (suspect the cheeky Pink Panther) (4) It's so high I have had to wait to see why the calyx didn't drop off, it's filled with a pod, that's why (5) I didn't bother taking pictures of the pods all over that cheeky brug ...she is covered in the same pods you are already too familiar with.
I do have some others but the sprinkling started again.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 18, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9088372

oops I forgot my most prized pods ! Twilight Time x Heart of Gold ...I talk to them frequently :)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 18, 2012
10:07 PM

Post #9088401

I don't think anything could have saved this FFA seedpod, but there's one left.
Anyway, my priority now is to get my existing seedlings to flower, as many of them are approaching three years without having yet flowered. I haven't even bothered pollinating the current crop of pink flowers because I don't need any more pinks!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 18, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9088406

Shaun, I will be first in the queue for a couple of those seeds...

The big fat pod that I have on Ivoire is still furry...Topsy was the only partner available at the time... Topsy was Ecuador Pink x ? and Ivoire is Sugar Pink x Zabaglione...maybe a pink?

The pods on my Knightii x Ivoire are furry too, are the Knightii's usually furry?, I know that their leaves are velvety. these are my first Knightii pods.

Another single has opened but It's another with a buried tag, it's looks just like the Angel's Swingtime x Mango Crush, I had 3 of those so this could be another one...

I have one more new one to open, it's very slow...another mystery one...very short bud, looks waxy so that is promising...
All the young ones that are growing tall and won't flower 'till Spring have had the chop...I much prefer to chop now and get a lot of flowers, than let them get tall and have only one stem come flowering time...

Chrissy, that is ancient cave art on that pod, see the stick men..lol

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 18, 2012
10:45 PM

Post #9088414

cestrum I didn't cross the pink ones, they are just there, Wayne says that PP is the one that lends itself to this donor pollen trait. I think so too. I won't be able to resist growing some out but the rest can go to the BGI seedbank, if no one wants the extras.
Sorry you lost the FFA pod. What a shame, but next year.
Like you, I just want to concentrate on my own breeding program next season. It's killing me to see Melissa Amy and Bengal Tiger finally Ying off again, (I thought they were gone after the hail attack) just in time for the Winter sleep. Suddenly Y's everywhere but I think the first Frost will beat them, usually when a bloom commences to form in the cold weather , they are sort of frizzly and stressed. Wouldn't it be nice if the Winter was mild and Sunny -wishful thinking after our lost Spring and Summer.

Dianne some pods are velvet, some are not, I remember stroking the velvet pods on Sugar Pink when Ivoire was just a twinkle in a cork :).

The marks on the pods come from storm or bug damage, no ancient art, but can you see the different shades of Green on Green.?
I have a couple of pods on Maya too but it seems they become albino babies and die mostly.

Watch out for insect attack because if they damage a pod wall, it can ruin the pod through the wound breaking as the pod grows.

Love the pics ^_^
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 18, 2012
11:04 PM

Post #9088425

I don't mean to discourage anyone trying to breed their own pink brugs: go for it! I reckon everyone should have their very own pink :-)
It's just that, after having so many seedlings flower pink, I'd like something a little different. That's why your Mango Crush seedlings are so interesting, Dianne--I hope you're not disappointed in them? (From memory, I think the knightii seedpods are a bit furry ...)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 19, 2012
2:00 AM

Post #9088457

No cestrum, definitely not disappointed in Mango Crush, I like the lemon, orange and mango coloured ones and as I said the perfume is really nice...I can't wait 'till the lemon one that grew from a cutting from the Geelong gardens grows...
Didn't you have a Mango Crush x too?...I know that we had a few similar...

I was disappointed that the Joli x Charleston double white with the long corolla teeth, didn't flower again, like Chrissy's a lot of mine are Ying but it will be too late...it was a crazy mix of corollas and teeth, but a lovely perfume and very white, next spring now.
So I have one noid white and one named white to look forward to next Spring...

It's odd because I look at the clearly defined triples and as much as I admire them, they aren't a goal for me, simply because they aren't practical, I would rather have a double or single with long teeth now...after seeing what the winds can do to the ones that I have, no value the extra long ones...So I am content to look at the pictures of them.

Yes Chrissy, I can see the the different greens, I was sidetracked by the stickmen...one of them was jumping a hurdle...lol

I am very glad that transferring pollen between ourselves worked out...it will come in handy I'm sure, next year...
Good luck to Alan and Shaun with their pods.

This is Bruce's Pink, I have pods on everything but him...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2012
2:22 AM

Post #9088463

Angels Summerset X.Georgia Peach
(Angels Exotic x.Inca Sun) X.Marshmallow Sunset
Dorothea X.(Dorothea x.Daydream)
Double L'Amour X.Bergische Symphony
Kleine Lady X.Herbstzauber
Ludger's Windsong X.Hazzah
(Mt.Treasure x.American Pride) X.Marshmallow Sunset
New Orleans Lady X.Tootsie
Pink Smitty X.(Rubirosa x.Naughty Nick)
Rosalie X.Marshmallow Sunset
(Rosalie x.Rahel) X.Marshmallow Sunset
Rubirosa X.(Rubirosa x.Naughty Nick)
(Rubirosa x.Naughty Nick) X.Marshmallow Sunset
Teri Shiavo X.Marshmallow Sunset
Unknown (Mixed Seed)

This is what came in the mail today from IBRUG was shocked to see so many when i only bought 6

Chrissy i did notice Alexrose seed pod mottle marks it looks great following the sport all the way to seed hahah

Dianne your very welcome to some of those seed between DPG X.Ivoire since Ivoire is your baby there is no hassles

I also hope all the seed pods last for every one there should be a bumper crop this year

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 19, 2012
2:34 AM

Post #9088465

Ooh, you are going to have some fun with those, Shaun...
There is a couple that I haven't heard of, I'll have to look them up...Teri Shiavo and Hazzah...
I have a few Georgia Peach crosses coming along nicely...
It gets exciting seeing the new ones come into our breeding program..

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 19, 2012
2:47 AM

Post #9088468

Teri Schindler-Shiavo is the way it's registered, Shaun...peach/orange single...Kurpark Bad Salzschirf x Butterfly...I like Butterfly it's a good one.
Hazzah is interesting too...cream double..Golden Lady x New Ocre...
I bet that you are looking them all up as I write...

Edited to put the hyphen in...

This message was edited Apr 19, 2012 9:01 PM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9088490

Dianne i have already looked them all up as i had to do a bit of research before obtaining seed from Ibrug, i know i wanted a couple but i got this many i was looking for the aurea type & doubles with manes that iv desired for years and got like Kleine Lady, Double L'Amour & Tootsie being a bit of a small bloom

Gil got the mail today and said Shaun will have Kittens with the 3 packages that came in.
I got home and saw the envelopes and was shocked to see them all i just didnt have kittens i also had puppies hahahah

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 19, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9088493

I like Butterfly too ... here is my Butterfly x Miss Caylie 4th pic it is the one to the right ...beautiful form but trashed in the hail and taking a while to recover, if only I had chopped them right down after all the damage, but I couldn't bear to. Result , lots of injury. It is Ying again too now darn it.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 19, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9088494

Shaun you are going to need a few acres mate ^_^ have fun !

I three pods on Tenshi too !

chrissy

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9088497

Chrissy your Butterfly x Miss Caylie looks very full in the upper part of the Skirt very nice Indeed
Tenshi dose she have suaveolens in her by the way it swirls i would consider that it has.
I am looking for more land in the next 12-24months to get my plant on but they will be small for a while my even get my sister to look after a few hahah family what would we do with out them hahah

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 19, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9088504

Butterfly is quite a bit Aurea
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/5603-butterfly/
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/6142-misscayliejpg/
Miss Caylie who the bloom most favours has candida mix.

I have to look up the cross for Tenshi in my journal I have forgotten what that cross was, I think it was Butterfly x Adeline.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 19, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9089279

Mango Cornet is fully open and I got a big surprise.
I thought my golden boy GHA had moved a flower onto it.

Except for the more orange color, they would be brothers
The perfume is the aurea giveaway. Nothing seems to have that strong delicious scent like the aureas. Must be a lot of Bert coming through.
The orange color will be from Bucks Fizz.
I was thinking at first, that a mistake had been made and I had got an aurea instead of MC because I didnt have a good pic to check.
I eventually found a pic but not a good one. does anyone have a pic of MC to compare ?

Its worth keeping as a breeder and for the perfume.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 19, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9089304

It's very pretty Jean, would you like to start our next thread with this charming Brug ?
I don't have this one so I can't say how it compares to GHA but it's lovely.
The perfume would be a winner for sure ^_^

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 19, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9089349

It's a lovely open flower, Jean...I thought that I had a pic of Mango Cornet, but I can't find it...
Another lovely perfumed plant for your garden...
It's a good one to have with Bert in it...more Aurea genes, yippee.

Here is my AF x CH this morning, it's a bit cooler so we have a pretty light pink one..most of the others are a medium pink now.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 19, 2012

Post #9089351

Okay Chrissy...
We have moved here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1253228/

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 19, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9089359

Dianne bring that pretty thing over to the next thread ! :)

chrissy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America