Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Daily bird pix no.437

PERTH, Australia

I've had to find some shots I took a couple of weeks ago to start the new thread with. If anyone wants to revisit the previous thread, here's the link http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1249428/#top

To start, a female Pink and Grey Galah saying hello to you all. Next a couple of Little Corellas in our big eucalyptus, then another of the Pink and Grey, followed by a Nankeen Kestrel and finally a Great Egret.

Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK
Marlton, NJ

Amazing shots Margaret!!! I love those Galah's.

Thanks for starting the new thread!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Lovely. I want a pink bird!!!!!

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

On the last thread-Nanny, cute little sparrow.

Burn, you have a great variety of birds there. I love that wp.

Adel, such pretty goldfinches. Mine love their daily bath in the tabletop fountain. I'll have to catch a photo.

Linth, great pictures of your birds. So clear and sharp at 700mm!

My pair of nuttall's woodpeckers continue to come on the deck and here's some more of my tree swallows.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Oops, pressed the wrong button before I was finished-

Margaret, thank you for the colorful new start. Love them all.

A couple House Finches.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Marlton, NJ

Wonderful shots duc! My fave is that Nuttall's Woodpecker!

Marlton, NJ

Duc, Have your Tree Swallows begun to make nests yet?

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Just started yesterday Pelle, but the rain today seems to be keeping them away for the most part of the morning.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the new thread Margaret and such a gorgeous start it is!

Love your shots Duc...I would love to have those Tree Swallows in my yard. Love the Nuttals and House Finch too!

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Great start to the new thread, Margaret. Beautiful birds.

Duc, I agree with Pelle. The Nuthall's Woodpeckers are a favorite of mine, also.

I have been visiting a few Bald Eagle nests (from a distance) at Blackwater NWR. On my last trip, I took these photos at 850mm. I seldom use my 1.7x teleconverter but thought I would try it out. I've never been real pleased with the results. It's okay for identification purposes but that's it, as far as I'm concerned. I think I'll stick with the 1.4x, at 700mm. Anyway, by my next trip to Blackwater, the eaglets should be big enough to see above the nest cup. The variety of other birds at Blackwater has been rather mediocre.

Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Beautiful start to the new thread Margaret.

Mrs. Ed, I hope you get your wish.

Duc, Linth, fantastic shots. Gorgeous.

Lakeview, OH

I think I can truthfully say that the red-bellied woodpeckers have found the suet on the tree!!!! My hubby says that there was a Chickadee on there yesterday too. I was going to stop feeding them with the upside down feeder to get them to try the other but I did not have to do that, they found it on their own. I would like to see a Northern Flicker on it, that would really make my day. But I love all my birds, maybe not the sparrows that much:)!

Thumbnail by teddy_8905 Thumbnail by teddy_8905
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Linth, your eagle shots are wonderful. It looks like those eagles picked a pine tree with hardly any shelter from the wind.

Teddy, you've worked hard to attract the birds. I'm glad the woodpeckers are showing up.

The orioles are really showing off for me at the feeders. The first two photos are Hooded Orioles the last three are of a beautiful Bullock's Oriole.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Marlton, NJ

Great shots duc! I especially love the Bullock's Oriole!

Congrats Teddy!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

The Bullock's are such pretty birds!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Great new start on the thread, thank you Margaret. Love your Kestrel, the others are lovely too. Duc, love your Nuttall wp and Tree Swallows always, the housefinches too are cute. Charlie, your Eagle shos are fantastic! Teddy, nice Redbellied wps. Duc, love the Bullock's Orioles. I haven't seen one this past winter.

My Redheaded Woodpeckers returned to their old stomping ground.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Oh my goodness, the Bullock's Oriole is gorgeous.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Roseate Spoonbills, Great Egret, and Scarlet Tanager photographed at High Island, Texas April 10, 2012. Just a few of the birds I have photgraphed at High Island, in the past week. The warbler migration is just getting started, and still a little slow.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen Thumbnail by Grasmussen Thumbnail by Grasmussen Thumbnail by Grasmussen Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, that's a colorful collection there!

Beautiful shots, just beautiful.

Lakeview, OH

The Starlings have discovered the suet on the tree, I have been scaring them off by opening the door and banging on a pie pan, is there anything I can put over the suet cage that the woodpeckers can still get to the suet but the starlings can't?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905
Marlton, NJ

Great pics Gary!!

Sorry Teddy there is nothing you can do. Starlings have long beaks and can get to anything woodpeckers use. This is just one of those bad things that goes along with feeding the birds.

I have a lot of European Starlings and Common Grackles here that love to gobble suet up.

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Lily, glad the red-headed wps are back, they're so pretty!

Gras, your birds are so spectacular. What a wonderful trip you're having.

Teddy, starlings have to eat too.

This crow has been busy building a nest, just one brown-headed cowbird here so far, a pair of house finches and a couple of the purple finches.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Lots of lovelies on this thread. Thanks Margaret with such a wonderful start and the thread.

These are from a few days ago.
Goldfinch, Black-capped Chickadee, Robin, Downy Woodpecker,

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

An unbelievable splash of color! Indigo Buntings, Protonotaria Warblrer, Summer Tanager, immature Orchard Oriole, and a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen Thumbnail by Grasmussen Thumbnail by Grasmussen Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Marlton, NJ

Gary, Those are incredible!

burn, Love the sweet Goldfinch!

Handsome Purple Finch duc!

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Margaret, that's just about the most beautiful start to a thread ever!
Duc, so many gorgeous shots. Just LOVE the orioles!
Linth, stunning eagle shots -- beautiful!
Love all the woodpecker shots everybody!
Gary, NICE! Way better than I did at High Island.

These pics are from High Island. I was able to compare my observations at High Island this year vs. last year. I went on almost the exact same date, but birds vary by weather. It was really slow this year --half the warblers, only Orchard Orioles no Baltimores and I only saw Indigo Buntings no Painted Buntings. What surprised me is how much I've grown as a birder. Last year, I was so exited coming home from High Island and I recorded 35 species. This year, I thought it was slow and I recorded 65 species! I'm able to find and ID more species, but I'm much more jaded!

Spoonbills, Tennessee Warbler and a Black-bellied Plover.

Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Here are a few of my favorite shots from last weekend. The Great Horned Owl was at Brazos Bend State Park and the Barred Owl and Summer Tanager were at Jesse H. Jones State Park.

Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba
Marlton, NJ

Elphaba you did great!
Wonderful shots!

Great photos everyone.

Lily_love, please send me one of your Red-headed Woodpeckers. Despite being in Maryland, I have never seen one.

Gary, looks like you hit the jackpot ! Nice photos.

duc, you have your own aviary. Always a nice selection of birds with excellent photos.

My first image is a Black-necked Stilt. They are a very striking shorebird, i.e. black and white, with pink legs. Second is a Greater Yellowlegs. Third and fourth photos are my first eaglet photos of 2012, shot at 700mm.

Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum

Elphaba, nice shot of the Great Horned Owl .......

First is a close-up photo of a Great Blue Heron. Next is an Osprey sitting on the nest. They are just everywhere. Third is another female Osprey. And fourth is a Bald Eagle, at Blackwater. They're difficult to find in the viewfinder, in flight at 700mm.

Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

I got behind but just love seeing all these beautiful and colorful birds-well done everyone.

Here's a Black-headed Grosbeak, a Western Kingbird, a Northern Mockingbird and a couple Tree Swallows.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

so jealous of all the great shots! I hope things begin to get settled here soon and I can get out more. Forgot to mention I saw a male American Redstart this morning!!

Yellow -rumped Warbler from the 10th.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2012 1:39 PM

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

What Great shots everyone!!

Got just a few that I was able to get posted ( Got so many more to post if I can just get the time)

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Just 5 more ..

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS

Wonderful shots everyone. I still have images on my camera from snow time. Guess I should upload that card and see if there is anything good on it. LOL

Marlton, NJ

Great shots guys!

Lakeview, OH

Going to take down the suet feeder on the tree, it is not attracting anything but starlings, the other birds ate off it too, but it did not attract anything different than the upside down one did. If I left it up there and just put plain or flavored suet in there the squirrels would start again, and we just got rid of them. I will keep it in case I get another idea, but for now, I will take it down when it gets empty. It was just a experiment anyway.

Klamath River, CA

While heading for town the other morning I came across these Wild Turkeys...........another morning trip I spotted this Emu with 3 chicks.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

Sweet ones adel!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.