Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Georgia Gardening: What's planted?

Communities > Forums > Georgia Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Georgia GardeningReplies: 25, Views: 157
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9076772

I don't know what kept me from planting my tomatoes and peppers this past weekend but I hear there may be a frost coming this Wednesday night. Even if it doesn't frost the cold will stunt everything. How about y'all what you got in the ground?
RandyRick
Dahlonega, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9076780

Lots of stuff. I see a temp forecast of 33degrees Wednesday night. I hope they're wrong cause its going to hurt

Randy
sterhill
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9076791

I have peppers - several kinds - and tomatoes, mostly 4th of July raised from seed, eggplants, squash, zucchini and cucumbers in the ground...

Don't want to hear about no frost!!!!!!!!

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9076796

It's hard to believe it after all this heat we had through March. Didn't have much Spring again and it looks like another dry one this year. I keep sayin I'm given it up but I'm addicted.
wholyhosta
Lula, GA

April 10, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9076889

I just have my cool weather crops in the ground, like onions and spinach. I have learned not to trust Mother Nature as far as last frost, and in the Fall, first frosts.
We are gonna get close to a freeze and I am heating up my greenhouse during the nights for my tropicals. My tomatoes and peppers, squash, and tender annuals are still in pots in case of a hasty retreat to the greenhouse or the sunroom, is necessary and it looks like it will be necessary tonight and tomorrow night!
Randy, hope you don't get frost.

Brenda
sterhill
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9078042

riceke - I say the same thing every year! Over the last several years I have actually dug up most of my lacecap hydrangeas - my HYDRO-drangeas - and put them in big pots. The tree roots compete for the water and the poor hydrangeas can't get enough. I also have potted some rhododendrons and potted some azalea. I am finding they stay hydrated much, much better in the pots although I'd have to add the saucers. I've mixed in so much in the way of amendments (with shovel and pickaxe) over the years that anybody saying ' you just need to put in some organic matter' will really get yelled at. Dry, dry, dry!

A couple of years ago, I put a big stack of leaves on the back area, to let compost and the next summer that whole pile was full of fine tree roots. I had to wrestle every pail.

I do love fresh vegetables so I will parcel out the water there.

Just checked my weather and Atlanta area is not seeing any frost. 47 is as low as it should get.
gaseedgrower
Hollywood, FL
(Zone 11)

April 11, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9078084

I share you all's pain and all the hard work of getting everything in the garden ready and planted. I bought 10 yards of compost two weeks ago for my vegetables and flower beds. Plant all the vegetables seeds I wanted in all beds and they start sprouting already plus 10 tomato plants. Got everything out from the greenhouse and planted.

I am keeping my fingers cross that they are wrong on the forecast, otherwise I'm gonna have to re-seed my veggie garden.

gsg
Nita44
Marietta, GA

April 13, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9081120

We have a small garden area planted in okra, eggplants, peppers, sage, and brussels sprouts and five mounds of squash (all started in the basement 8 -12 weeks ago) and planted out the week before Good Friday. They all made it through the two cool nights OK and are happy today with this beautiful weather. The garden looked like a little graveyard at night, all the little plants were covered with something.

Does anyone know where to buy container mix without added fertilizer in the Atlanta Westside area. I went ahead and planted one of my earthboxes with the fertilizer added because Wal Mart, Lowes, Home Depot and the local Pike's do not carry anything else. Do any of you earthbox users have a fertilizer free source that is local?
Thanks,
Nita
RandyRick
Dahlonega, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9085920

The cold snap last week didn't seem to hurt too much. Here's a picture of a raised flower bed in front of my house. In bloom are bearded iris, roses, and snapdragons.

Thumbnail by RandyRick   Thumbnail by RandyRick   Thumbnail by RandyRick
Click an image for an enlarged view.

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9086285

"A couple of years ago, I put a big stack of leaves on the back area, to let compost and the next summer that whole pile was full of fine tree roots. I had to wrestle every pail."

Sterhill you made me laugh with that one because I had a couple tubs that I had planted in and went to move it this spring and wouldn't budge. Turned out one of the nearby trees had sent its roots into the tubs. Couldn't figure out why it was taking so much water before.

Well I put in all tomatoes this past weekend but everything was really dry. We need some rain!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9086449

I have cabbage, kale, radishes, peas and volunteer soyu cukes going. I planned to harvest the cuke seed last fall but never got to it. The cukes did fine through last week's cold snap. I seeded zinnias and marigolds two weeks ago. They are smart about when to grow. We just got up to Maypop with the bulk of the veggie garden seedlings in tow. Part of the garden is prepped to plant but the skies are about to send a gift any minute. Tomorrow is supposed to be wet too. I see beets and carrots germinating despite the dry spell. Hope to get collards, radicchio and most of the tomatoes in this coming week as well as more cabbage and kale.
RandyRick
Dahlonega, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9086463

Put together a 4x4 Home Depot raised bed kit a couple weeks ago. Planted two Miss Huff lantanas, 30 red daylily Little Business double fans, and 30 daffodils 'Grand Monarque'.

I'll also add a dozen or so fans of daylily "Pocket Full of Gold" if they ever arrive in the mail.

Thumbnail by RandyRick
Click the image for an enlarged view.

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9087273

Yehhhhh! It finally rained. I could hear my plants shouting Bring it on!
sterhill
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9090019

I think we've all gotten to the point that when it rains, we cheer!

Thumbnail by sterhill

wholyhosta
Lula, GA

April 20, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9090108

Yep...all rain is good rain, for a gardener!!!

Altho, when you start getting mold growing in your pathways, that may be the time to say "enough already!
My perfect set-up in an inch of all-day rain every 5 days!! Dream on, but it has happened!!! Not often but sometimes...!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9090218

What's perfect is to get everything planted and the tools put away. Then the skies open to a gentle overnight rain. Ahhh. What's a pain is sitting here, day after day, with soggy soil and on again/of again rain, waiting to plant. Arghh. I might venture forth to make some tomato cage ring imprints in the wet dirt for placement of tomatoes in a day or two. We were supposed to have some sun today though I see no signs.
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9091020

ahhh, We've been getting nice cool, gentle rain for the last 2 days. Lots of planting at the Butterfly Garden. Bought a couple of tomato plants today. I also planted some eggplants that my mom brought up from Florida.. not sure which variety (love surprises)
yikes, 66 / 39 for us Monday. Where were these temps this winter when I tried to grow brussel sprouts?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9093385

We will be in the high thirties tonight with frost expected tomorrow night. Twelve tomatoes made it into the ground with thirty more on standby. The later are spending the night indoors while the others are covered with pots for the night. A week ago, when garden planning and checking weather, we were supposed to have warm weather and no rain for ten days. We usually seed pole beans this week but it's too wet and cold. I managed to get a second planting of kale and cabbage seedlings in as well as yellow collards and heading broccoli. There's still sprouting broccoli to put out. We are not doing any other spring planting this year. Time to move on to the summer garden. All types of climbing peas are now about three feet and close to flowering. They grow on short garden fence and I string them the rest of the way up. The strings went in today 'cause they are at least at the top of the fences. I usually follow with beans on the same lines. Fall planted spinach germinated sometime in winter and is about done. French Breakfast radishes (my favorite) should be ready to start picking in a week.

I have learned patience in planting out peppers, eggplants, okra, summer squash and southern peas. Peppers, eggplants and okra suffer in cool wet weather, squash is more likely to get hit by borer if planted before late May in Georgia (the primary flush of borers is mid-May) and southern "peas" are productive in late season so why waste premium space early on when they can go in over spring cole or greens crops? Well, early southern peas would be great if you have lots of acres to grow.
kdfisher
Ellijay, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9093829

Little bit of everything here and there. I finally have the patience to deal with perennials (P's) from seed. For some reason I don't have much luck with P's from stores. Real proud of my Foxgloves from seed last year...

Naturally these Dianthus always look good this time of year...though three weeks early from peak blooms.

3rd pic---> Real healthy area that didn't rest this past winter...

Oh, the topic is what's planted. Like seeds and such?

Oodles, too many to list.

I have plugs..oodles of them too. 700 to be exact. Anybody need some exercise helping plant?

Thumbnail by kdfisher   Thumbnail by kdfisher   Thumbnail by kdfisher   Thumbnail by kdfisher
Click an image for an enlarged view.

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9093852

So...cover up those tomatoes and peppers...we are gonna get another chiller his PM. What is happening here. 85 in March and now dipping into the low 30's at the end of April. I guess it could be worse. Up north they're gonna get a foot of snow.
wholyhosta
Lula, GA

April 23, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9093964

KDFisher...you have a right to be proud. Very nice and healthy!!!

Yeah, what is with this crazy weather? I wanna know why Newnan is supposed to be near freezing and we are high 30's!
I am taking Laurels's advice and not planting my peppers or tomatoes, eggplants, etc...til second week in May. They will just keep getting bigger and bigger in my greenhouse!

Brenda
sterhill
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9094025

All my tomatoes and peppers went in several weeks ago, when we had all that hot-hot weather. The cold has not hurt them a bit though and everything is growing. The tomatoes, in fact, have big luxurious leaves right now... (???) and the peppers are putting up flowers. This is the craziest spring ever. My peonies have not done well though... the hydrangeas are bursting with buds and I've never seen them so full. Supposed to go down to 43 here tonight. Lots of wind though...

30 MORE tomatoes to plant, Laurel??? What do you do with that many? I do love your garden.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9094296

Brenda, I actually like to put the tomatoes out while temps are in the forties. It's supposed to warm up tomorrow and thereafter so more tomatoes will go in. The peppers and eggplants look okay when I've planted them cold but overall don't seem to do as well. That's why I wait. I'd not hold the tomatoes too long in the greenhouse. They get lush but aren't as disease resistant.

Sterling, maybe your ground temps are warmer where you are. We were thirty six at nine this morning. Tonight is supposed to be colder. The veggies normally get eaten, processed, given to friends or to an Atlanta food pantry. This year we are going to use them in various ways for a weekend celebration of DD's marriage. Everything from center pieces to take away gifts to the catered food. I selected varieties that would work best for the occasion.

Ken, your plants and garden are looking fantastic. The work you've put in to growing them out really shows. Love the foxgloves!
sterhill
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9095641

Normally I'd never have put tomatoes out before the first of May. But it was so hot here and they'd been being hardened off outside and and it kept being hot and I was potting them up and up in bigger and bigger pots and finally I said 'hey no more cold weather' and put them in the ground. Think that brought the cold weather back? It gets in the low 40s here but I've not seen it go under 40. Cold this morning. I raise the 4th of Julys from seed, under lights as I love that variety. They don't need much water, don't get blights, etc and produce early and stay late. They produce all summer. I think I would cry if they froze at this point!

I like that you are going to use them in the wedding feast! I usually plant enough to give away too and they are always appreciated. Our garden club plants a pretty big garden, on some community land, for the food bank here. You might have heard that 5 teenagers broke in and destroyed everything a few weeks ago. They caught them and Costco, God bless 'em, is going to provide the food bank produce we would have had until the garden is back up and running.

Brenda - I am pea green with envy for your greenhouse! That must be such a joy although I imagine it's hard not to get it too crowded.

I bought an artichoke plant at Lowe's. Anybody here ever grow them?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9095942

I have not but Shoe (Horseshoe) has experience with them. His growing conditions are similar to ours. Send him a DM; he is always helpful.

I got a white Lady Banks rose planted yesterday and three apple trees. SO gets the credit for the apple tree holes. That was a thankless job seeing as the apples were planted on a rocky slope.

The Atlanta Lowes had pretty double columbines in one gallon pots for a dollar each. They were still very much in bloom. I need to find a place for them today. Now that the weather is warming it's back to panting the veggie garden.
RandyRick
Dahlonega, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9098553

Planted a small clump of Siberian White Iris I had admired blooming at a friend's place 2 weeks ago. She traded it to me for a hymenocallis bulb. The clump divided into 4 rhizomes.

Thumbnail by RandyRick

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Georgia Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite Local Nursery? violabird 23 Apr 17, 2007 9:17 PM
Corn Gluten Meal SusanCalvert 10 Aug 11, 2009 7:40 PM
wild roses teateacher 11 Jun 1, 2007 4:31 PM
Grass out, Moss in soupcon 15 May 14, 2008 4:28 PM
powdery mildew remedies soupcon 4 May 31, 2007 3:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America