Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Rhododendrons and Relatives: Pruning azaleas

Communities > Forums > Rhododendrons and Relatives
bookmark
Forum: Rhododendrons and RelativesReplies: 2, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9076778

My Azaleas have bloomed for the first time in 3 years. Between drought, cold and probably poor care on my part, they have struggled. Because of that, I haven't cut them back, although they are overgrowing the walk. Now they have finished blooming (almost) and I'd like to get them into better condition. As you may be able to see, they are leggy, and sparse in some spots. Can I trim them, and fertilize? In what order? I will be looking for websites to help me not destroy them, if anyone has suggestions on that :)
Thanks for any tips you can offer.

Thumbnail by catmad
Click the image for an enlarged view.

luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9082765

You can start pruning and fertilizing after they have finished their blooming stage. In cases where you need to prune, it is ok to do so after they have finished blooming but before they begin to develop new flower buds (around July-August-ish).
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9083007

Thank you! That's just what I needed to know :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America