-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9076833

I'd like to know the difference between cayenne pepper and paprika? Are there different kinds of paprika? Some recipies call for sweet paprika, so I'm thoroughly confused on peppers.

I'd also like to know if anyone has has any luck using coco lopez creamed coconut in cold drinks, I get lots of hard clumps, and I don't know how to get rid of that except straining it, but then I feel like I'm losing part of it. But who wants to drink pina coladas with lumps?

What is the difference between pumpernickel and rye? If a person is alergic to wheat can they still eat those?

Are caraway and fennel the same thing? And is fennel the little striped 'seeds' on Italian foods, like sausage and pizza?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 18, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9087220

Cayenne and paprika are powders of two different peppers; cayenne is much hotter. Some paprika is smoked, it just depends on what kind you buy.

Caraway seeds are the small seeds in rye bread; fennel are indeed the licorice-y tasting seeds in Italian foods. They do look a lot alike, and cumin also looks very similar.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9087275

Here's a summary I found regarding pumpernickel vs. rye.

1. Regular rye breads are made from endosperm ground flour while pumpernickel is from whole berry ground flour.
2. The flour for making pumpernickel is coarsely ground while that for rye is not coarse.
3. Pumpernickel bread tends to be darker and more strongly flavored than regular rye breads.
4. Pumpernickel bread is also more sweetened than regular rye breads due to the long slow baking over low heat.

You can read the entire article here.

http://www.differencebetween.net/object/comparisons-of-food-items/difference-between-rye-bread-and-pumpernickel-bread/

Almost every bakery used to carry pumpernickel, but very few do now. I walked into one and asked for it and got a totally blank look from the young clerk, and a response of "what's that?" Usually you find it in small loaves in the specialty breads section of upscale markets. I really like it, and if I find it, I buy some extra and wrap it well for freezing.

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9087530

I like it too, but it is hard to find fresh. I just wondered what the difference in them were. Thank you for the link, I will check it out!

I will have to try some different peppers I guess. I have some recipes that just say paprika. I wasn't sure if it was the same as cayenne or not, thank you for clarifying!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9087674

I have both but never considered them interchangable because cayenne is really hot.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9092971

Paprika is considered sweet and cayenne is hot. Think of the difference between banana/sweet pepper versus a thai chili pepper. That will give you and idea of what they are similar to.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9094578

Though we most commonly use sweet paprika, and aside from smoked paprika, there is also hot paprika. So there's sweet and hot that come both smoked or not smoked. There's also variations in paprika flavor based on where it's produced. It is produced all over Eastern Europe and Spain. That of course leads to arguments, if not wars, about who has the best paprika. Paprika is a mixture of dried and then powdered peppers that are regionally specific. The common sweet one most familiar is Hungarian and the word is derived from the Serbian word "papar" which, not surprisingly, means ground pepper. lol

About the Coco Lopez...it's meant for drinks that go in an electric blender. The lumps are the fat and denser coconut that's separated. You can reincorporate it with a whisk or put some liquid and some lumps in the blender with the rum, etc.. The best solution is to make a really huge batch of pina coladas in the blender. :)
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9130709

Caraway to me is herby and completely unique tasting. A friend of mine found a bagel place in DC that sells those "everything" bagels and they use caraway seeds too. Those are sheer perfection! All other everything bagels now pale in comparision:lol:
Fennel is licorice like in flavor.

I was going to suggest the blender when using Coco Lopez. My friends older brother made us some killer pina coladas using Malibu rum and good vanilla ice cream too. Soooo good! Blender is the key.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 21, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9132746

okay, I will try the blender and see how that comes out. I hadn't thought of that.

Interesting info on the paprika. I will make sure what I buy is the sweet kind, I don't care too much for hot peppers. It is hard to tell sometimes on the label because it just says 'paprika' but I would assume it is mild-if it was hot it would probably say such.

Thanks for the info guys!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
12:53 AM

Post #9138971

Brand name spices (Schilling or McCormick) tend to only sell the basic paprika (not hot or smoked). The only type in our grocery stores that offers "hot" is sold in a metal can like ground black pepper. I can't remember the name of the company but it is labeled as Hungarian Hot Paprika or Hungarian Sweet Paprika. Specialty spice store will most likely also carry a smoked type of paprika which I think is just sweet peppers (regular paprika type) that are run through a smoker to add a different flavor to them before being dried and ground.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9187954

I haven't been eating a lot of bread in the last few years. I'm surprised to hear pumpernickel is not available/popular like it used to be. That was my go-to sandwich bread for years! Doesn't it typically have molasses in it?

Interesting questions!
Tam

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9188503

Tammy--
My favorite bread (I don't eat much either) is "Miltons Multi-Grain Bread"--if you can find it.

It is 99% fat free, has oats and honey in it, and is amazing toasted. VERY healthy!
Put some peanut butter on it, slice a banana, and you have a "power breakfast".

The Costcos and BJ's and Sams used to carry it. No ,more.
Trader Joe's does--I believe. BUT--much to my surprise--I found it at my local Wallmart which just
expanded into a Superstore.

Let me see if I can find a picture of it... Gita

http://www.miltonsbaking.com/product-detail/multi-grain

http://www.schwebels.com/freshly-baked-breads/whole-grain-and-multi-grain-breads/miltons-healthy-mutli-grain

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9188515

Thanks Gita. I'll keep that recommendation in mind next time I'm shopping for bread (which is not often). The last time I bought bread it was from the farmer's market - sourdough pecan raison. Now you just don't get any better than that! :-)

Tam
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9204545

Walmart used to have a sour kraut rye, which I know sounds nasty, I don't even like sour kraut, but this bread was fabulous! They only kept it for a couple years and then I haven't seen it since. It was in the bakery.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9204715

Sauerkraut can "hide" in many things...

Heloise first posted a Chocolate Cake recipe that had sauerkraut in it. Most thought it was Coconut.
NO ONE would have ever known!

Then the famous MMMMeatballs recipe here--also uses Sauerkraut in the sauce. YUMMM!
The greatest meatballs ever...

MMMeatballs (Do NOT make any changes!)

Meatballs: Mix and form into 1 inch balls
2 pounds lean ground beef
3 eggs
1 package (Lipton) onion soup mix
1 cup bread crumbs

Sauce:
Stir together in saucepan over medium heat until well combined.
1 can whole-berry cranberry sauce
1 small can sauerkraut, drained
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 jar (12 oz) chili sauce (Heinz)
12 oz. water (measure using chili sauce bottle)

Place formed balls into a 9 x 13" dish in a single layer. Pour sauce over meatballs. Cook at 350'F for 1 hour (325' if using glass pan).
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2012
11:04 PM

Post #9216534

I am going to try this recipe, it sounds really good!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9216690

Do try these--Lily

It makes a lot of meatballs--and they will be all gone
at whatever party you take them to.

When ground meat goes on a good sale--I make up a batch, freeze them single-layer on a
cookie sheet, and then dump them all in a zip-loc freezer bag and put them in my freezer.
All you have to do then is just make the sauce and bake.
Gita

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America