Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: first time succulent owner, do i have root rot?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 13, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mscala
Cliffside Park, NJ

April 10, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9076858

I've never been able to keep a plant alive for very long, (black thumb) and I've had some luck with this little succulent I have but now i think i may have root rot! See the picture below.

do I? should i cut the roots off and replant? I want to try to save this little guy!
Thanks!!

Thumbnail by mscala
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9077226

Your soil looks way to wet for that plant. cut away anything mushy, then repot the plant in better draining soil. Only water as the top couple inches feel dry and never let the roots stay wet. Make sure the container has good drainage. You can dip the root end in a fungicde or dust it with cinnamon before planting..
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9077523

I agree, things look too wet. Overwatering is probably the #1 way that people kill their plants, so I suspect your black thumb is probably just a heavy hand with the watering can. Succulents need even less water than regular plants so it's that much more important not to overwater them.
urbanveggies412
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9079651

you will want to get some sandy soil in there that allows for good drainage. make sure the potter that you have has plenty of holes in the bottom as well. you can even add a few small rocks to the bottom of the pot before putting your new soil in. (hopefully everyone else agrees and i am not providing crappy info) :)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9079684

Good info urbanveggies...good drainage is key to growing succulents.
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9079796

i use small limestones in my veggie garden, just for that reason.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9079978

The lime leaching out doesn't cause problems for your plants?
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9079985

no, i scald the stones first and bury deeper than normal.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9079993

Oh, I see. I thought you meant you mixed them into the soil...you actually use them as a bottom layer for the beds...makes sense in LC...you have a fairly high water table there don't you?
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9079996

oh yeah, might as well plant swamp plants but we got a lot of them here as well lol

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9080004

I am fortunate here...we live on a rise between Bayou Manchac and Muddy creek...the area around us may flood and we become an island, but the subdivision stays high and dry.And yes, palmettos are in walking distance...grin

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9081072

i'll add another suggestion. succulents do best with unglazed clay pots. they are cheaper too, though not as cheap as plastic. plastic doesn't breath.
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9094869

plastic doesnt breath? that's because they dont have lungs silly...lol
Cearbhaill
Russell, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9097797

Yes, plants need to breathe and being able to do it through the sides of an unglazed pot is pretty handy when the soil is too wet all around. Roots need air and if you don't give it to them one way or another they will suffer.

mscala- you need to either get 1) a bag of cactus mix or 2) a bag of perlite and some chick grit. There are other things that could be added but those are the two most available and vital. You have to mix up some new soil that is at least half perlite and chick grit if not more. Ideally you would use fresh potting mix as well.
Then cut cleanly through healthy tissue with a sharp knife, let it air a tad, dip it in one of the recommended powders from above, put it in the moistened well draining mix that you made and put it in bright indirect light.
Then get out of its way- don't water it. For how long I can't tell you because the temperature, wind, and humidity influence it a great deal and I don't even know if it is being kept indoors or out.
We can get to that later.
For now get that new mix together!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America