Photo by Melody

Recipes: Is anyone here gluten free or allergic to wheat or corn?

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 31, Views: 207
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9076866

I just found out I am allergic to wheat, corn, soy, peanuts and food coloring.
I checked out a book at the library, called "Gluten Free Girl", has some recipes that look pretty good and I recommend reading it if you are gluten free. http://glutenfreegirl.com/
I am specifically wondering how GF can be CHEAPER, because I think one could go broke buying the flours and such. I am having a hard time cooking for me and then re-cooking for everyone else because I don't want to fix "my" food for the others, due to the cost. Of course most people can still have corn which is a lovely flour to use for things, but I can't have that. I do eat oats though, and I understand that gluten intolerant have to special order certified wheat free oats due to cross contamination during process (oats do not have gluten naturally)
One of the main staple flours used is white rice flour, or brown rice, and was wondering if there was a way I could buy rice and grind it myself into flour? Also does anyone have any recipes for using mashed beans as a flour replacement? This is of course not a temporary "diet" for me, it will be forever since the wheat makes me sick.
My symptoms by the way for YEARS, extreme lethargy, sleepiness to the point of sometimes sleeping for hours during the day, only forcing myself up in time to catch the school bus, falling asleep with food in my mouth, or while reading or on the computer. Drinking large amounts of tea, coffee, or taking meds to stay awake. A normal sleep study. Falling asleep driving. Aching joints, muscle pain, headaches/migraines, brain fog-feeling like my brain was asleep and cannot think or remember clearly. Constant congestion and drainage. Itching sometimes all over my back, rash, for no reason (which I thought was seasonal allergies to pollens and such) I was diagnosed at one point with fibromyalgia. All other tests always came back normal and drs could not find what was wrong. I finally went to an allergist for what I thought was seasonal allergies and he asked if I was allergic to any foods. I decided to do the food testing on a whim, and wow. I could not believe for the past 16 years what I was eating everyday was making me so sick. I also tested highly allergic to 40 other things, not foods, the only thing he tested me for that I was not allergic to was feathers. I am now on a prescription antihistamine, and a short spurt of steroids for current swelling, and weekly shots for the next several years. I also have to carry an epi-pen. Since quitting the foods and carefully watching everything I eat, I feel SO much better. I feel almost new! It's only been about 3 weeks or so, so I expect to improve even more.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9077433

There's a lot going on in your post. Here are a few comments and suggestions...

I have ground small amounts of rice flour in a coffee/spice mill. It's fine for making tempura or dusting foods for frying but you would need a grain mill to make a quantity on a regular basis. Health food stores charge a hefty sum for gluten free alternative flours. Try looking in Indian or Asian markets where rice flour and besan (chickpea flour) are staples. Besan is also known as gram flour. Non-wheat flours are much cheaper in those markets. Chickpea flour is also used in southern France and parts of Italy so look for recipes like farinata or soca. You can find all sizes and shapes of rice noodles in Asian markets. Try your hand at making spring rolls using big round rice wrappers. It's a fun and easy project with a little learning curve. Our guests and kids love making them as DIY appetizers. You'd need an alternative to the traditional peanut and soy sauce sip though.

For more familiar foods think about putting spaghetti sauce or your favorite chili over oven fries and topping with cheese, etc.. You can use leftover roasted potatoes, smashed, as a bottom crust for a pizza style dish. There are both Italian and Japanese versions of rice omelets that will be satisfying enough for you to skip the bread.

Your information about oats is different than what I know as a nurse. My understanding is oats are gluten free and don't need to be certified any more than any other grain but some people are not able to tolerate oats for unknown reasons. The research indicates that gluten intolerant people would not ingest enough gluten from cross contamination to cause a reaction. That said, follow the advice of your physician. I assume you've been tested for celiac and B12 deficiency which causes the symptoms you mention above. If yo have not been to a gastroenterologist I'd suggest a visit because if you have the above food sensitivities then you may or may not have undiagnosed gastrointestinal issues including, but not limited to, vitamin absorption.

I do some food preparation education. Many of my clients are learning to cook foods geared to their medical conditions. Sometimes it's a temporary situation, like patients undergoing chemotherapy with gastric tubes, and other times it's because of chronic problems like yours. I always tell them they'll be most satisfied if they learn to cook and appreciate ethnic foods that work with their dietary requirements instead of trying to cook familiar foods with substitute ingredients. Some substituting is okay but what ends up happening is there is a tendency to overeat foods that are almost, but not quite, like that comfort food you are missing. So yes, that gluten free banana bread is yummy but wow, I ate the whole thing.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9077487

While I have not been officially diagnosed (because I don't go to the doctors) with gluten intolerance (and I have a problem with rice too), I notice a reaction difference big time in what I eat over the last 2-3 years (and it's increasing). I do find that soaking rice, oats and wheat cereal grains in aciduated water overnight makes a big difference, as it does with legumes, but that doesn't help me make bread because I don't have a grain grinder.

My problem(s) may well be more along the line of other gut syndromes rather than gluten intolerance, but it doesn't hurt to pass along tips for soaking just in case that helps.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9078297

darius if you are celiac, even a trace amount of gluten can cause symptoms. Therefore if you just cut back or eliminate "most" gluten, you will not really tell any difference. Gluten can be found in additives like flavorings, colors, preservatives, fillers and thickeners and such (beer, vanilla flavoring, msg-not from the US, and some vinegars are suspect). Gluten is not always labled in a way that one would know it is there. Manufacturers are not required to label foods gluten free/not. The biggest problem for celiacs is cross-contamination. Grains and cereals that are naturally gluten free but are contaminated by being processed on equipment that is used for gluten products. Pre-packaged foods that are dusted with flours to keep them from sticking during processing. Marshmallows, raisins ect. That kind of thing does not have to be labeled. A celiac can be sick for several days after eating only 1/8th of a tsp or less of gluten. Some people are terribly sick for years before finally being diagnosed with celiac. Gluten allergy, gluten intolerance, and celiac are all three different things.

MaypopLaurel, thank you for your response. At this time I have not been tested for celiac, I don't think it is necessary but will in the future if it comes to that. I do not and never have had any gastrointestinal issues, I guess that is why I never thought I had food allergies. I feel great now that I have quit the foods I tested allergic to, so I'm gonna wait a while and see how that goes.
The research may indicate that gluten intolerant people would not ingest enough gluten from cross contamination to cause a reaction
however, PEOPLE say differently! Gluten intolerance is not the same thing as celiac however, so most people who simply have a difficult time with gluten may do ok with smaller amounts, such as cross contamination or fillers ect. Celiacs however cannot have even a trace amount. Kind of like how some people with severe peanut allergy can literally die from putting one peanut in their mouth... celiacs are just as intolerant to gluten, only they don't die, they have other symptoms of course. But I guess I am saying that even a tiny amount can make very sensitive people very sick, and that is why if someone is celiac, they have to worry about cross contamination in pre-packaged foods and grains vs someone just intollerant or allergic may be able to have it in small amounts.
If you think about it, most of what we eat is wheat-pasta, bread, cereal, thickeners, additives,ect. It is normal for most people to consume a third or more of every meal every day in wheat. If one is allergic to wheat or corn; eating out, going to someone's house for dinner, reunion, wedding, holiday meals, school treats, birthday parties, potlucks, ect ect, there is very little to eat except at home!

I am going to see if I can find an asian market here in town, I hadn't thought of that. I bet I could buy rice flour that way. I bought some sorghum flour at the health food store and am going to try making some bread. Walmart carries a basic flour mix that is gluten free but it is pricey. From what I can tell so far though, it does cook fairly well, although I haven't tried bread yet. I really miss bread. I miss the texture and taste and the convenience of a sandwich. I really miss a hamburger or a hot dog!
Most everything else I have found suitable subs for. I found out I cannot even have most ice creams. Almost every ice cream out there is full of corn syrup (allergic to corn, so I guess I can't have that?) food coloring, or some unpronounceable additive. I have been buying Blue Bunny or Breyer's Natural in Vanilla Bean or Chocolate. I think they make a strawberry also, but my store doesn't ever have it. I just get vanilla and top it myself.

Who says I didn't eat the whole loaf of banana bread before!?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9078649

LOL on the banana bread. Well good luck and am glad you are feeling better. Don't forget to check out the Indian markets for chickpea/gram flour. Be sure not to confuse gram with graham flour which is a wheat flour.

Mention was made on another thread of oat flour in a recipe which can be ground in a food processor. I forgot about that. You may be able to come up with a mix where you can take some of the more expensive flours and add ground oats or rice flour. I'd suggest a little research on the varieties of rice flour because what I use for Asian cooking is very fine. I don't know if rice flour used as a wheat flour substitute is more course ground.

As for celiac disease and irritable bowel diseases that can cause B12 absorption problems related to malabsorption; you can have symptoms of lethargy, aching joints, muscle pain, "brain fog" and a specific type of skin rash without obvious symptoms of a gastrointestinal disorder. Hopefully your symptoms are unrelated to a gastrointestinal problem but other people reading this should be aware of the possibilities.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9084640

I have a gluten intolerance and have noticed I don't even miss bread...found Ancient Harvest Quinoa pastas are the best, King Arthur flour has a great selection of gluten free mixes
The one thing I really miss is pizza, did buy gluten free pizza crust mix but haven't made it yet

I find that when cooking for the family I just make sure that I cook enough things that don't have gluten in it, basically translates to more fresh fruit and veggies, I just do without so I don't make more work for myself

Ice cream is my downfall but have been buying all natural/organic for years so there are no additives
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9084866

I have heard the Qunioa pastas are good, the ones at my walmart have corn though in them also, so I can't have them.
I bought a gf pizza mix at walmart and it was really GOOD. Even my husband said it was yummy and my son liked it. I used an alfredo sauce and topped it with bacon, shredded chicken, onion and pepppers. Of course I used pizza blend cheese on it. It is a heavier crust, but very suitable.
tbharley
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9109168

Hi. I just saw this thread. I have immuno deficiency disorder and it's wrecked havoc with my body. For years my body has had an intolerance to sugar and sugar carbs, so I cut most gluten out of my diet. Fast forward and I discovered that it's also got an interolance to prostaglandins, which are more common in low carb foods.

The problem with having a gluten intolerance is a lot of foods that can be overprocessed, like instant oatmeal, more easliy turn to sugar in your body. I lived for years on a caveman diet: vegetables, meat and fats. Recently I discovered that while beef is gluten free, because non organic cattle are fed corn, chemical properties for those with an intolerance are still exposed.

When I acquired a stepson with ADHD, he and his sister wanted me to use Shedd's Spread because that's what their mother used and that's what they liked -- were used to. I flatly refused I've known for a long time that most margerine are a mix of chemicals. But I also believe in teaching good health, so I started reading more about healthier foods and diets what I found over the years is what our foods do to our bodies largely because of less expensive production methods and chemical technology and engineering. I already had an awareness of it through a career in intellectual property. (Two things, for example, that are fairly common knowledge now are not eating heated aspartame or fake fat. The aspartame breaks down into a poison that can cause seizures, especially in children and at low doses, and when olestra was developed, chemicals had to be added to keep the product in your body. As soon as it was ingested, the body would immediately expel it.) So I ultimately started buying organic products. I've gradually switched to buying nearly everything organic. Because that's so expensive, I've increased my gardens extensively, and I scour the net for deals on bulk products -- from reputable sources, that is.

I also purchased a grinder at Home Depot, which had the best prices for hand and electric grinders, and I have large containers of grain products I've purchased through Amazon, CostCo and survivalist stores. Buying gluten free foods is expensive, and I only tell you the foregoing to prevent other issues that may pop up. Over time, the chemicals used in the the low carb and gluten free products caused other problems. What I recognized is what we are told about many things, and that's just maintain a moderate intake on most things, and learn about some of the more unnatural things we do to the meat and other products we ingest. Especially since it's a health need for you, I urge you to arm yourself with knowledge. Alternatives exist, as do less expensive ones.

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9109490

I have gained weight just in the past month or so since changing my diet. I quit using margarine and switched to butter because I am not supposed to have soy, and margarine is made with soy oil. However since I am gaining weight rappidly, I decided to switch back to margarine. I figure the fat and the high cholesterol will kill me as quick as the soy. :( I have gained a whole jean size in 6 weeks.

I am hungry all the time. I think it is mostly due to switching from whole grain wheat, and corn products to eating white rice and potatoes. I do eat quite a bit of oatmeal, and it tends to fill me up for a while, but then how much oatmeal can a person swallow?!

I am allergic to corn, so is beef ok for me to eat? I have found that the wheat makes me extremely lethargic and sleepy, and the corn makes my sinuses clog up and I get drainage in the back of my throat within minutes of eating it. I can't tell anything with peanuts or soy. So I don't know what they do to me. Strange that I have gained so much weight, because since I have been off the wheat I feel really good and have lots of energy and am much more physically active than I was before.
Of course sugar could have something to do with that, the only way I can choke down the bazillionth bowl of oatmeal is to heap it up with brown sugar :)
I like veggies and beans and fruits, but if I am not careful I get too much fiber and that makes me sick. So then I feel like I must eat the potatoes and rice, which I know are high starch foods.
Of course it has been nearly 100 here and I love icecream, so that is probably my downfall too! So full of fat.
I can't have regular yogurt as it has wheat, corn syrup and maybe soy, but the Greek yogurts I can have.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9109542

are you still on the steriods? that will make you gain weight. Cutting out the carbs should actually help you lose some weight, have you switched to eating more sugar?
I use this site for the food tracker, so you can see if you are eating too much fats or sugars, etc
http://www.sparkpeople.com/
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9109578

I feel hungry all the time it seems. I thought I was just craving the wheat and after a while that would subside. But no matter what I eat, I always feel like nothing really 'hit the spot' so to speak.

No I am not still on the steroids. I know I have been eating more fat and sugar. I am eating more meat. How do you eat a sandwhich w/o bread? ya don't! So you just eat more meat and throw on another tomato I guess.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9109840

Wrap it in lettuce, or just wrap the meat in cheese
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9110723

Or rice wrappers. But here's the challenge; if you continue to look for substitutes for old foodways, like a sandwich that tastes the same as the one you used to eat, only with substitute ingredients, you will most likely be disappointed and looking for satisfaction. This search for satisfying (soul) food is what makes one chronically hungry. It is responsible for a lot of obesity problems. I see patients who, for various reasons, become vegetarian and gain loads of weight. We eat a diet that involves minimal meat Imagine you are in a foreign country, without access to familiar ingredients, but have new and exciting ingredients available.

Key to a medically indicated diet is being open to relearning how to cook rather than choking down familiar foods at an unfamiliar rate. That does sound like an unpleasant experience. When physicians prescribe a medically indicated diet they hopefully have dieticians or nutritionists to refer for your education. Some hospitals offer classes. Food is such an important part of who we are.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9110785

I had a hard time adjusting to little or no grains nor legumes or soy even though I didn't eat any primarily soy products... it's in everything, and it affects my thyroid.

I find winter squash (acorn, butternut, etc) as satisfying as any starchy carb and easier on my system, plus they have a lower glycemic index; I don't gain weight as long as I eat them in moderation, unlike white potatoes. Foods like full-fat (pref. raw milk) cheese seem to satisfy my hunger cravings.

This is a good website to see what's actually in what you eat (nutritionally):
http://nutritiondata.self.com/

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9110798

Why do they put soy in bubble gum???? drives me CRAZY

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9110822

It's CHEAP.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9110833

grrrrrrrr
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9111641

I think soy or corn are just about in everything.

I have been eating sweet potatoes more often than in the past.
I found I can 'bake' them in the microwave in just a few mins.

Part of my problem is that I don't like to cook really. Being's how everything made with flour-I can't have-I dislike cooking so it is hard for me to make those things homemade. A sandwich used to be a 'convenience' food. Open the wrapper and make a sandwich, only takes 5 mins and not much to clean up and nothing to bake. Now lunch can take quite a while to fix since there is no 'open the wrapper'. :(

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9111695

It's amazing how food allergies can lead you to really know what's in our foods, and what we can grow naturally. I used to garden for "pretties" and now I garden for "health"...
Krispi
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9151978

Hi, this is Krispi, have not been on Daves for a long time, but I have allergies, fibro. food allergies, diabetes, etc. I have found that the diet for diabetes, helps me control myself, because not being able to eat sugar, wheat, peanuts, I have switched to the Now brand, of stevia, in the large container, natural teas that I make myself, got me off sodas, growing my own herbs, has helped. Also, I had to become a real label reader. The (highfrutcus corn syrup) was invented to make our farm animals crave food, so they would eat more, but surprise surprise, our government decided we should add it to people food, to put more fat on starving people! Now we have the fattest people of the earth, but the sickest! Margarine was invented for the same reason, but the animals refused to eat it, so they made it for people! Don't be fooled by the (fat) problem, Butter is the ONLY way to get one of our B vitamins, but the gov. wants you to believe it is from eating meat, and dairy! The item that is making clogged arteries is Fluoride they put in our water, toothpaste, mouthwash. I have had to go back to brushing with baking soda, the toothpaste is turning my teeth brown. The aspertane is another death blow to our bodies! Everything the GOV. pushes, along with all the pharma. is to kill us with our food and drugs. I am saying all of this, not to rag against the Gov., but to alert you to how hard it is to find something that they are not trying to control, when it comes to our food.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9152070

I can't use toothpaste, mouthwash ect, it breaks my face out and gives me blisters.
I don't want to eat margarine because it is soy, and butter is so high in cholesterol and fat, I guess I shouldn't use either
Fat people eat more, so more money for the food manufactures and such. Plus fat people need meds so more money for the pharm companies, who just so happen to own the food manufacturer companies... and the circle continues...

I am taking an antihistamine, Levocetirizine , generic for Xyzal, and have found that many people posting on the internet have complained about it causing weight gain and food cravings. So bingo!
I have cut my dose in half and have started taking it before bed at night instead of in the morning. I will see how that works for me and go from there.
Krispi
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9152463

I forgot the most important thing I wanted to tell U, I began taking olive before each meal, and continued to eat everything I had always eaten, and lost 25 lbs. in a couple of mos. I had read how good it is for your heart, and decided to check it out. I was astounded, because no matter what diet I tried, nothing worked! I was not trying it for my weight, talk about a pleasant surprise! I had never been able to lose that hard fat right under the first layer of skin, and it just melted away.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9152493

Krispi, do you mean olive oil before each meal?
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9154487

I have a friend who is highly gluten intolerant including cross contamination issues. He's used as an example case in PA. Oatmeal is one of the foods he has said he has problems with.

He recently posted this web site as a place to order non-gluten bread mixes. I haven’t looked at what they carry but he was carrying on about the bread so their products should be good. www.julesglutenfree.com

I would recommend that you find a celiac support group as the one here in town keeps a database of gluten free products and ocal restaurants. It will save you some time on researching what “normal” products are gluten free and what gluten free ones are worth buying.

Dr Oz said there is an issue with gaining weight with non-gluten products because many of them lack enough fiber.

I would also go to incorporating as much of your foods into the general cooking as you can for a different reason. Food intolerances run in families. If you have kids or parents they may also have the same food intolerance.

Krispi
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 7, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9155993

Yes, I drank a jigger before each meal, when I started eating, after the first bites, I was no longer hungry. The inches just began to get smaller, every one began to ask what I was doing to lose the weight, and I had forgotten that I was taking the olive oil, so I went and got on the scale! I had dropped 25 lbs, I was shocked, I could actually pick up my skin on top of my thighs, something I could never do, as on my forearm, because of the fat under the skin!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 7, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9156457

May I recommend you google Indian recipes using chick pea flour, it is a cheap, healthy and very versatile product.
It's very healthy.
I have Indian born in -laws who shared this knowledge with me.
http://www.justhungry.com/zucchini-and-chickpea-pancakes
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/10/gluten-free-chickpea-crackers.html
http://allrecipes.co.in/recipe/97/pakoras-for-punjabi-kadi.aspx
http://www.freshtart.net/gluten-free-chickpea-flour-pancake-10964005
http://www.indianfoodforever.com/snacks/vegetable-pakora.html
http://www.foodbuzz.com/recipes/3477657-besan-fries

You can adjust the spices to suit your own taste ...do try it.
You can even make sweets with it if you have a sweet tooth.

http://www.food.com/recipe/chickpea-flour-chocolate-chip-cookies-gluten-free-213653
http://www.tasteofbeirut.com/2011/05/oatmeal-and-chickpea-flour-cookies/
http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Besan-_chickpea-Flour_-Pastry-Recipezaar
http://www.yummly.com/recipe/7-Cups-Halwa-_-Coconut-_-Chickpea-Flour-Dessert_-Recipezaar

Experiment and adjust to suit your needs. I hope you like some of these.

chrissy
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9250136

Hi,
I have not been on dave's for a while. I have started to follow blood type diet for weight loss. I am type o which is lean meat and little to none dairy and no gluten/corn..etc. I have lost 2 pant sizes in about 5-6 weeks. amazing. I am doing lot of research online and reinventing my fav recipes to exclude stuff ...which is very HARD to do. I am also indian as well. Inaddition to besan flour, one can try coconut flour or almond flour as well(watch out for calories).

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9250205

That blood type diet would kill me... Everything I love it says to avoid, also totally opposite of the diet I got from metabolic typing from my holistic health practioner...you never know who to believe anymore!!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9250210

and it tells me my blood type would benefit from a gluten free diet(which I am anyway) but it lists some foods that you should eat that are NOT gluten free , ie bulgar and spelt

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9250212

Yeah, I tried the blood type diet after a friend had such success with it. I'm A- and simply gained weight and felt awful. Some years ago I followed Dr. Abravanel's Body Type diet, and lost nearly 50 pounds... never felt better, but then I moved to a big city and a job that had me entertaining customers 3-4 nights a week for dinner. So much for adhering to the diet! For my body type, it was almost a Paleo diet.
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9250301

yes. I think the key is to 'find a diet that we can stick to long term'. If you find a diet that recommends the foods you love, then it becomes easy to do it long term.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9251482

bananas bananas, I don't even like bananas...
good thing I like sweet potatoes, but they aren't very sweet til I add an embarrassing amount of brown sugar LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America