Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: strange seedlings

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 8, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9076943

i have a 30-cell tray with a clear plastic lid i use to germinate seeds in. while germinating the seeds, i notice small little seedlings growing in the soil i use. Now i know its not the seeds i planted. so what are they?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9076966

Did the bag of soil you purchased have any holes or cuts in it? If so, weed seeds could be present.
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9076971

not that i am aware of. usually the bags are sealed when i buy them. maybe the type of soil im buying.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9076989

What is your soil called?

Personally I've not experienced having strange seeds grow in purchased soil, unless the bag has had holes in it, or an open bag has been stored outside.
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9076995

it was a 8lb bag that costed me a buck at a dollar store. which is porbably my problem there.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9077025

Yes - that sounds as though it might be the source of your problem.
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9077054

guess i'll have to pay a little extra for the good stuff

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9077676

I always sing the praises of pine bark mulch as a soil mix ingredient. You can buy it for $3-$8 for 2 cubic feet, depending on quality. That's only 20-50 cents per gallon. My kind of price!

Look for a medium or medium-coarse grade. You want to avoid the powder, dirt and wood chips you find in $3 bhags at Home Depot. I think that "double-screened pine bark" is better for gardening purposes, but much more exp[ensive, if you can find it.

(If possible, try to get a bag that isn't wet inside. If damp for very long, and the bag doesn't have lots of air holes, it will ferment anearobically and smell musty or funky. In that case, best to air it out for several days, or, better, flush some water through it.)

Screen it yourself through 1/2" hardware cloth, quickly, with the screen at a 45 degree angle. Keep the smaller sdtuff for seed mix and potting mix, and use the big stuff that rolls off as mulch outdoors.

What passes through 1/2" screen can be added to any seed mix or potting mix to make it go farther and be cheaper!

It will also make the mix drain better IF you follow up the fast 1/2" screening with a slow 1/4" screening. Get rid of as much dust and fine particles as possible. Chips and coarse shreds are better than powder and fines. The coarse texture helps the mix hold open voids and channels for air to enter, and for excess water to flow away.

Use the powdery stuff that passes through the 1/4" screen as a solil amnedment outdoors, like in raised beds.

Maybe a VERY coarse seedling mix might need to be watered 1-2 times per week, whereas you are lucky if excess water EVER runs out of a fine peat-based mix. I tend to overwater seeds, so I hate peat and love grit, cvolarse Perlite and medium-coarse pine bark.

Bark is less "capillary" or hydrophilic than peat, but a bark mix with some fine bark, or any peat added, still "wicks" enough that it can still be bottom-watered.

But what I like best about the bark mix is that it drains fast enough, and lets air in fast enough, and the surface dries fast enough, that you CAN top-water and even over-water without drowning roots or encouraging damping off. I do love pine bark.

P.S. I failed when I tried to start fine Petunia seeds on top of a coarse pine bark mix! The seeds fell into the cracks, did not get the light they needed, and failed to germinate. I meamn, like ZERO seeds emerged in 128 cells, many of them with two seeds each.

To start seeds on the SURFACE of a coarse mix, sprinkle solme vermiculite on top of the coarse stuff. Press it flat. Then sprinkle the seed on that surface.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9077685

There are many soiless seed starting mixes available. If your using a 30 cell tray I'm assuming your not starting a bunch of seeds. Lol I've used Jiffy and many others that I just bought at the grocery store or home depot type store. You should be able to find something that doesn't cost a whole lot and still meets your needs.

I get a few strange seeds in the potting soil that I use because they make it and bag it where I by it, but seed starting mix should be clean of weeds.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America