Dehydrating rhubarb

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I plan to try some this week, since I've read how much better it is than frozen rhubarb which simply turns to mush. (Which is okay for some rhubarb recipes like strawberry-rhubarb pie.)

This evening I picked about 20 humongous stalks (4.5 pounds) from just one of my 3 plants, plenty enough for some rhubarb BBQ sauce. I'll save one of the other 2 plants for rhubarb turnovers, and dehydrate the rest.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

O.K. ~ I'm baited. I want to know your recipe for rhubarb BBQ sauce... it sounds wonderful. Is it posted on your blog?

I grew up eating rhubarb and have a fondness for it.

Tell me how well it dehydrates? I'm guessing the larger stalks will take longer.

My mother would not use the really large stalks, considering them too tough and inedible.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I posted the recipe here. It's really tasty!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9078929

I cut more for a batch of vanilla bean-rhubarb jam, but then I didn't have any to dehydrate, thanks to a major hard freeze that night.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks much, It does sound good. I've copied it and will pass it on to my MN kinfolk... or perhaps snag some rhubarb when home.

It will not grow here. Knew one old fellow that loved a gardening challenge. He would dig his up and keep it in the freezer over winter. He managed to keep it alive for a few years but it never really thrived. Yours will improve and multiply yearly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.