Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Dehydrating rhubarb

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 3, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9077597

I plan to try some this week, since I've read how much better it is than frozen rhubarb which simply turns to mush. (Which is okay for some rhubarb recipes like strawberry-rhubarb pie.)

This evening I picked about 20 humongous stalks (4.5 pounds) from just one of my 3 plants, plenty enough for some rhubarb BBQ sauce. I'll save one of the other 2 plants for rhubarb turnovers, and dehydrate the rest.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9082870

O.K. ~ I'm baited. I want to know your recipe for rhubarb BBQ sauce... it sounds wonderful. Is it posted on your blog?

I grew up eating rhubarb and have a fondness for it.

Tell me how well it dehydrates? I'm guessing the larger stalks will take longer.

My mother would not use the really large stalks, considering them too tough and inedible.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9082890

I posted the recipe here. It's really tasty!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9078929

I cut more for a batch of vanilla bean-rhubarb jam, but then I didn't have any to dehydrate, thanks to a major hard freeze that night.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9083032

Thanks much, It does sound good. I've copied it and will pass it on to my MN kinfolk... or perhaps snag some rhubarb when home.

It will not grow here. Knew one old fellow that loved a gardening challenge. He would dig his up and keep it in the freezer over winter. He managed to keep it alive for a few years but it never really thrived. Yours will improve and multiply yearly.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America