Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: Beginner needs some tips!! :)

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 18, Views: 189
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mnms222
Butte, MT

April 11, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9078503

I am about to start growing some herbs for the first time. Does anyone have any tips that could be helpful? Anything would be much appreciated!!! Thank you!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 11, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9078526

Most like sun and good drainage.
Don't overwater
Grow in pots the kind that invade
If you grow dill (and I think fennel) - get ready for the caterpillars to eat

microbiology1
Foxboro, MA

April 11, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9078552

Keep mint as far away from everything else as possible. It is the defintion of weed! Bury the whole pot in the ground if you must, but better yet, just plant it in a container far away from your garden.

Plant more basil than you need. Critters love to eat it.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 11, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9078609

Don't forget lavender and scented geranium. There is another thread where folks are talking about how to use lavender in recipes. Plant less rosemary than you think you need. Agree with the basil but not just for the critter aspect --but because it is great in many things. You can even make a sorbet with basil and strawberry.

Keep your herbs used or the plants will fade quickly or go to seed.
eval what you plant if you have a small area...somethings are just more easier to buy than to grow.

synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9078812

parsley is another easy herb to grow in abundance

here is my small herb garden. there are starter kits you can buy as well.

Thumbnail by synsfun
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mnms222
Butte, MT

April 11, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9078897

Thank you for your comments!!! I bought some seeds and a starter kit. I got sweet basil, thyme, chives, oregano, rosemary, parsley and sage. :)
microbiology1
Foxboro, MA

April 12, 2012
1:55 AM

Post #9079217

Rosemary grows as big a shrub in my zone. I put it in the basement in the winter and then I can use it all year long. It does very well when neglected too. I think it can grow without water or sunlight ;)
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
3:40 AM

Post #9079238

the photo i posted was from a starter kit i found at a dollar store. it does fairly well, and like good gardener...i want more.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9079553

Plant the herbs you love to use most- Rosemary stays in ground all season here, has beautiful little flowers, basic herbs first, then experiment with different flavors, don't forget chives! Fresh are awesome! Both garlic and onion chives- true - plants like dill, fennel, are the home of 'cats' that become butterflies- some herbs are best to just delight the nose outside, others like basils in bloom make awesome kitchen bouquets indoors in the window, have fun!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 18, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9087844

You never mentioned what zone you were in but if it helps, you can make a small raised bed close to your kitchen door or under the window if it gets enough sun, the smells wafting in will give much pleasure. I add a load of sharp / small grit to my soil as this allows for drainage, most herbs are Mediterranean by birth and thrive in the poorer soil, most are annual and the few that are perennial can be grown in pots and placed around the raised bed. they do need water but not as much or as often as most of our other plants. Thyme is wonderful to plant where you will brush past it and it throws up it's perfume as does lavender, take serious the warning about mint, if it gets into the garden soil you will be trying to get rid for ever and it spreads like wild fire.
Hope all the hints and tips from everyone has helped as there is nothing more pleasing than a nice herb garden no matter what size you make.
Good luck, WeeNel.
sierra77
Cedar Valley, OK
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9088299

I love herbs but, yes, mints will try to take over. Anise hyssop (agastache) is part of the mint family and it has reseeded everywhere in my borderline zone 6-7 central Oklahoma garden. But a few are good for bees and butterflies. Also, I would never, repeat never, plant comfrey. I planted it once and it was very invasive. One herb that you don't see very often, but is a beautiful little plant, is blue lovage. The flowers are sometimes used for cake decorations. Can't say enough wonderful things about lavender and sages (salvias), most of which are very ornamental. I have grown cilantro (used in salsa) from seed. Chives are great in green pea salad or sprinkled over baked potatoes. Your county extension office or local library should have useful information. Happy Gardening!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9088341

WeeNel? Butte, Mt is close to the Canadian border by our Bighorn Mtns, they have short summers. I' ll try to find her zone, but she's apt to be kitchen herb gardener.
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9090715

wife brought home a two foot talll mint, had to transplant it in the garden. yeah.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9090788

Mmmm...I'd put the mint in a pot rather than in the garden. They can spread quite aggressively and you'll never get rid of it otherwise. A pot will keep it contained a lot better so you can enjoy it without worrying that it's going to take over your garden.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9091081

On the other hand, I've never had enuff spearmint-but I make jelly, and it stayed where I put it. The chocolate mint took over the roses for 2 years and died totally out. The highways across Wisconsin have mint for miles and smell awesome!!! I think you guys are too kind to your mint plants, chuckl
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9094851

i love our lil mint plant, along with our citrenellas, the air is sweet. now all i need is honeysuckles and i'm good to go.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9096508

Ahhh, Lake Charley! add night bloomin jasmine, and wisteria and roses!
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9099615

we have a wisteria in the back yard and a rose in the front

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9100085

You want the traditional white/yellow lonicera? Or the coral / red lonicera?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America