Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beekeeping: Where are my Bees ?

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 27, Views: 348
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9078572

I'm assured they will be here Friday.
FRIDAY...that's the 13th...
Well that's my luck. I talked my son in law to come over and take pic when I put them into their hives.
Yes yes he has a telephoto lens so he should be safe.
These are my first bees and I constructed the hives and frames myself, lot of work but I love woodworking and I used wood I picked up here and there.
I will post more pic Friday or Saturday depending on how many stings I get ^^_^^

Thumbnail by rentman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9078772

Looks like a great setup! You won't get stung -- the bees will be too interested in setting up housekeeping.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9082100

I picked up 2 'package of bees with one queens each Friday AM
My 'Free Range' bunnies below.
My home made hives, second pic.
Opening the bee package which was said to have 3 lbs of bees.

Thumbnail by rentman   Thumbnail by rentman   Thumbnail by rentman
Click an image for an enlarged view.

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9082105

Shake, bump and shake the bees into the hive...the queen has been removed, she comes in her own little 'cage'
Second pic the dark bees are in the bottom of the hive.
OK everyone in...a few of the bees were dead in the package and this morning I found many that had been carried out of the hive and droped on the ground.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 11:50 AM

Thumbnail by rentman   Thumbnail by rentman   Thumbnail by rentman

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9082122

Now the Heart of the hive The Queen. I'm holding her cage in my right hand
Whoops I she dropped down, should be hung from the top of a frame.
Well just dig her out.
Last pic is a jar with sugar water to help them out while the find flowers, which will be no problem around here.
The first package I sprayed with sugar water to make the bees docile, (I'm installing the first package here)
I got in a hurry with the second and while installing it I got stung in the back of the head, live and learn.

Thumbnail by rentman   Thumbnail by rentman   Thumbnail by rentman   Thumbnail by rentman

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9082131

Just waiting for the Honey. A man can have a Beer, right... (but Two) ?
She got me right there.
My first born and helper while installing the bees.
Helper and my wonderful wife, The Boss ^^_^^

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 11:54 AM

Thumbnail by rentman   Thumbnail by rentman   Thumbnail by rentman   Thumbnail by rentman

yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9084261

Great pics and thanks for sharing your experience. We pick up our first bees this coming Sunday.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9084547

Spray the package with sugar water, for sure.
I go out at night to look at mine. There is a street light across, I take a light with, I released my queens about 4AM today.
We shall see.
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9084803

I'm definately spraying mine with sugar water, though I have one beekeeper who uses only water.
Having been to several county bee association meetings and a couple schools, I've learned that the statement is true, that when you ask 10 beekeepers a question, you'll get 11 answers.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9085144

yardener, looks like it just you and me here.
I have a bee supply store here called Dadant. They in 11 states but not in Ohio.
Where did you order your bees ?

Dwight
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9085196

I'm reading! Just not posting.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9085204

Hi Kid, I do the same on many forms.
Do you have bees or plan to get some ?
I just love Daves Garden, I learn a lot and meat interesting people.
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9085693

Picking up bees at Spille in Ky. We have an association meeting tonite but the wife and I are skipping it because we don't want to be overwhelmed with the many different opinions. LOL
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9086406

Yardener, let me know how spraying water vs sugar water goes...
I sprayed sugar water, 1/2 sugar 1/2 half water and everything is sooooo sickie.
May be I used too much ??
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9086516

I had bees in Illinois but left everything behind when I moved to Oregon. It's been bad out here for bees the last coupla years so I haven't invested in new hives. We've had two of the coldest, wettest years on record & the keepers out here seem to really be struggling.
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9087173

I'm going to use the sugar water with a 1:1 ratio, I'm not taking a chance since all the books and videos say to do so.
I'm not worried about putting them in. I'm more concerned with the follow-up visits in the weeks ahead; knowing what I need to look for, but we'll get it eventually.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9087256

Advice from a bee keeper of less than a week, spray only the packages and try not to get the sugar on the hives.
Not much activity this AM, but yesterday I saw some coming home with pollen on their legs

Thumbnail by rentman

yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9087430

Its great that you are getting activity. I've been concerned that we would miss the largest of the nectar flow for our area before the colony was up to capacity.
I'm planning on putting out 2 small plots of buckwheat and a small plot of sweet clover. Nothing real big, maybe 750+ sq ft, but big enough to monitor their activity.
We have an acre of meadow that is full of golden rod for their fall push to fill their winter stores, so all I need is a good mid/late summer source of nectar.
lorasgarden
West Terre Haute, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9089005

[quote="rentman"]Advice from a bee keeper of less than a week, spray only the packages and try not to get the sugar on the hives.
Not much activity this AM, but yesterday I saw some coming home with pollen on their legs
[/quote]

I enjoyed looking at your bee pics. My husband and I regularly photograph our bees, so much that we invested in a new lens just to get the needed closeups. It is so much fun to watch bee behavior, they are always doing something, and never at random. Enjoy your hives!
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9089287

Love you Loras, maybe tomorrow I'll have some pic of my 'Bee Fence' I have built.
I live in the city and need to shield the 'Walkers' up and down the street.
Lot of work but I have nothing to do and all day to do it...
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
11:45 PM

Post #9093746

Checked my hives tonight, things look to be going well.
I can see the white comes being made. Hard to see from this pic.

Thumbnail by rentman

Steroh
Nelspruit
South Africa

October 5, 2012
2:03 AM

Post #9296366

Hallo Rentman,
Honey flowing?
S.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9296462

A little update about my Honeys
I broke my foot 2 months ago, so I've been moving a little slower.
One of my hives is not producing honey in the supper but the other has is going great.
Well for me it's great, I got two lbs. and boy is it sweet.
My oldest daughter took the pic. I call her 'The Bee Charmer Girl' from the movie 'Green Fried Tomatoes' She wares no protection and gets great shots.
My bees are Very Docile, I can run the mower and weed eater right by then.
Here are a couple of shots.

yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9296503

Sorry about your foot.
My bees have been docile all summer. Worked around and in without much problem, till last Friday. I walked by them, minding my own business and "BAM", 3 or 4 came out and went crazy on me. Got nailed in the right arm. Never had a problem with bee stings but this time my arm swelled up and hurt like crazy. I'm guessing I got stung more than once on the back of the elbow where I couldn't see to get the sting out.
Little boogers, but I had taken their honey the week before, so I guess I had it coming
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9296697

Bad news about the stinging, I was stung twice, back of the neck when a week after I 'installed them I went out at night with a flashlight to look inside.
BEES DO NOT SLEEP...
By the way, I sit out by my bees watching them and saw some, on the landing deck, with their heads down, tails up and it looked like they had No Wings.
I know it wasn't the beer I had been drinking that day so I looked closer. They were Fanning the hive, wings moving so fast I could not see the wings, blowing air into the hive.
God created some smart bees.
Tomorrow it'd to Berea, KY for a seed exchange.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

TrumpetFlowerz

TrumpetFlowerz
Ft Myers, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 23, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9365563

I loved reading your thread rentman, and hope you post more news as you can. Also hope your foot is doing well. I am pondering keeping bees right now, and want to learn.
WHen is the best time of year to set up a hive?
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9365889

Hi Flower, Love Florida, was born in W.P.B., spent most of my life there.
I'm no expert on bees. Learned everything from the internet.
Last April I bought two sets of bees from the local 'Dadant supplier' here. They are nation wide, have a number of out lets and you can order supplies from them on line. There is a Dadant in High Springs, FL. or live bees can be ordered on line. Dadant got the bees from Alabama. Up here Kentucky the new hives are started in April (too cold to start them in the winter) but where you live I think you could start now.
October (see my post) I harvested 2 lbs of honey from the most productive hive and it has died out, NO bees in it. I guess I should not have taken their food.
My second hive was not as active as the one I harvested, and I did not take honey from it.
So I have one hive now and I'm feed it sugar water to hold them over the winter. Bees do not fly out if the temp is below 60, I have read.
I plan to order another box of bees to be delivered this coming April. A box cost (last year) $75 and has one queen and '3 pounds' of worker bees.
It's called a 'Humming Box' ?? When I picked up my bees, last April, all the bee boxes were in a large warehouse, maybe 50 boxes and what a Humming.

I wish you the best and stay in touch.

Dwight

TrumpetFlowerz

TrumpetFlowerz
Ft Myers, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 25, 2012
2:19 AM

Post #9366510

Yes, my yard is filled with the weed "Florida Snow" and they love it. I do see bees every morning after after the sun warms the air.
Hundreds of them. I love the pusley (Florida Snow's real name) because my bees and butterflies love it too. Sorry you lost a hive.
I'll have to check out the Dadant information you gave me, and see if anything is close to me.
BTW< have you been to the actual capitol building there in Frankfort? Do they still have the working
flower clock? I saw it when I was a kid, and so amazed by it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America