Photo by Melody

Hostas: I think something is wrong with me!

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 15, Views: 177
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9079083

So, like many parts of the country, Spring came early and then promptly stalled out with lack of rain and cooler temps. So everything is still sleeping, for the most part, which I'm actually glad about. Today I tried to pass the time by doing some online hosta browsing...I couldn't find a single hosta I just HAD to have! What is wrong with me? Am I cured of the addiction? I am really maxed out of space, but I couldn't find anything for sale that I would find a spot for, or swap out one of my existing hosta for. Is this he beginning of the end? Am I becoming complacent? gulp.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9079329

Have you checked out the new releases from Walters Gardens? They are a wholesaler, their new varieties were just released to all of the retailers last summer and are being sold all over for the first time this year. I bought most of them last summer through the BnP plant buying co-op.

At this link, the hosta start a little over halfway down the page.

http://www.waltersgardens.com/gallery/?gallery=42

If you can't find anything new that you want, it might be time to start hybridizing and make some of your own crosses. I am going to give a shot at it this year with some streakers and a few others so I can start the seeds over winter. I also bought some seeds from the last First Look auction that I will be starting.

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9079414

Maybe you're just content for now? Your garden is already beautiful. And there's that new puppy of yours, unless it's a dog by now, in which case you might be entering the terrible twos already =)

Personally, I've been so happy for this long cool (after the initial warmup) spring. Have had plenty of time to clean garden beds, trade a few plants, pot up new trades, and earmark plants to move this weekend.

I went crazy last year, buying perennials and hostas all year long. And then I overhauled three beds during the drought. Ugh. By the end of September, I was out in the cold burying bulbs at the last minute and still had a dozen plants left sitting in pots. Now I know that's NOT the way for me to garden.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9079535

I went through a garden buying binge early last summer...then we got the pup and come Fall I had a lot of things sitting around in pots. I swear it was December before I finally did a half-hearted overwintering job with them. Poor neglected things managed to survive nicely, thankfully. Mostly I bought vines and a few small hyrdranges that I really don't have room for!

I am also very glad things stayed pretty dormant after the early warm up...I really didn't want to be worried about keeping things covered at night. I just feel like I'm in a bit of funk, which is normal for me this time of year since it's so brown and dead looking out there. Boy do we need some rain- that's depressing too. I'm just having trouble getting motivated to get going- I certainly do have some tasks on the garden to do list. I'm feeling more overwhlemed than motivated right now.

The new puppy, "Dublin", is part of the problem, I'm afraid. He's about to turn one, but he's been in the terrible two's since about four months. He is SO in my face when I try to work outside. I might need to set up some temporary fencing within our large fence to keep him out of my face when I work in the garden. I've been putting up wire garden edging around most of the beds to keep him out and will probably have to keep it up all summer until he gets the message. I love the little guy a lot but am looking forward to more couch potato days!

Frank, you might be right about moving on to a new sub-hobby like hybridizing. I've always thought I lacked the patience but that could be fun. I checked out that link and I might have to find a spot for "Rainbow's End" after all. Hmm. I guess overall I am happy with the hosta selection I have and am looking forward to seeing them continue to mature. That's a big part of the fun, too.

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9079707

I got Rainbow's End from Hallsons last year! Here it is relocated back in July and then blooming in August. The leaves really are lovely.

Thumbnail by Eleven   Thumbnail by Eleven
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9081315

I've seen your pictures of your gardens, and I can understand how you can be content. Your shade gardens are beautiful!

I'm not ordering much this year because it's been so dry! I think I'm going to be busy enough taking care of what I have already! I don't think I'll ever be content!

Rose
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9081351

THanks Rose and Eleven. That Rainbow's End is very pretty and I am tempted...but I'm also afraid it's one that might drive me crazy trying to protect from the slugs. I think they would flock to all that white.

I am getting more into the swing of it, cleaning up the beds and taking count of the eyes that are coming up...should be a pretty good year for a number of them. We got a small amount of rain that helped green things up a bit which gets me more in the mood.

I also cleaned up my studio to gear up for making a few more faux stone walls to refine some beds. That could free up a space for another hosta!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9090057

Rainbow's End is slug resistant. Get one. This is a pic of mine at the end of August last year. Not the three adjacent hostas and then look at RE.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9090134

I broke down and ordered it from Hallson's. Feeling normal again, whew.
Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9090709

Atta Girl! What did you order? I just ordered 'Parhelion' from NGP. I think you've posted pics of your plant (right?), and it is a nice looking big one! If it's not your pic, then somebody has a pretty one!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9090754

I haven't ordered anything either. I will though. Just have a lot of other things on the go; so I guess I'll take what's left.

Mind you, I had so many with foliar nems at the end of last season, it gets discouraging.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9091344

I bought 20 hosta three weeks ago at Hornbaker Gardens which is an hour north of me. They opened a couple weeks early due to the warm weather.

I still had 40 new to me varieties still in pots left over from last year.

Thumbnail by franknjim   Thumbnail by franknjim
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9091856

You are definitely an addict, Frank!

Rose, I got Rainbow's End, and Faith. I need another big one like a hole in the head but I've been craving a big gold cupped one. Eventually, I will have to move some out and over to my FIL's to make room for it. I've basically got more hosta than I have room for. So I am living with all of them and trying to decide which ones I really love and can't live without.

Yes, I have Parhelion. Actually, I have three, which is even more crazy because of the size of my garden. I bought them all my first year of gardening- I have one in the back right and front left corners, and one along the foundation between some hydrangeas. The one I usually post pics of is next to Regal Splendor and Elegans and has increased a lot this year. I think it's because that corner got a lot more light from the neighbor cutting down his trees. I wish I had known you were looking for Parhelion- I would have been happy to try to cut you off a piece of one of mine.
Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9092258

I'll have to put it in a place that gets some sun so mine will look as nice as yours does.

Frank,

Looks like you had a good time at Hornbakers!
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9097466

My Hallson's order came today. Four eyes on Rainbow's End- woo! It is really pretty. The bonus was Ripple Effect, which is great too. I can totally squeeze that in somewhere.
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

April 25, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9097512

Noreaster, I guess your old self is back. Glad to hear it. I'm getting 'Rainbow's End' too.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America