I lifted the burlap I use to cover my compost, and found mushrooms! I pulled a couple and got slimed from that goo under the cap. Will I poison myself if I just turn them in next time I turn the pile?
On a related subject. I have also had mushrooms coming up in a garden bed where I have Onions growing. I keep trying to knock the mushrooms down before they mature in an attempt to prevent spore release. Will my Onions be safe?
Not able to answer your query, David, but I do have mushrooms growing too -- in the cedar mulch under a pear fruit tree. I've also found some "growths" or something, flat on last season's cedar mulch and other areas where I've thrown weed clippings, don't know what but they look like mushroom caps but no stem on them (sorta, but can't think of what else to compare with). Will check today and take pic to post. Never seen anything like it.
I've never heard that mushrooms have any danger to other growing things, just to us if we eat them. I've never read a warning about mushrooms in compost. I would not worry. They are there because you have something they like- organic matter in a certain stage of decay and moisture. It seems funny that I rarely to never had them in compost (in humid East Coast) yet you hot western folks do.
I've had little cup fungus on wood mulch- cute little cups with seedlike spore things in them- they look like a nest with eggs
We have everything from giant puffballs to the little brown 'toadstools'? in the lawn.
I get forest mushrooms in my mulch and compost,only things it seems to be is mulch is a good place for fungus to grow.