Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Soil and Composting: Mushrooms growing on my compost pile!

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 4, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9079177

I lifted the burlap I use to cover my compost, and found mushrooms! I pulled a couple and got slimed from that goo under the cap. Will I poison myself if I just turn them in next time I turn the pile?

On a related subject. I have also had mushrooms coming up in a garden bed where I have Onions growing. I keep trying to knock the mushrooms down before they mature in an attempt to prevent spore release. Will my Onions be safe?

Thanks, David
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9079354

Not able to answer your query, David, but I do have mushrooms growing too -- in the cedar mulch under a pear fruit tree. I've also found some "growths" or something, flat on last season's cedar mulch and other areas where I've thrown weed clippings, don't know what but they look like mushroom caps but no stem on them (sorta, but can't think of what else to compare with). Will check today and take pic to post. Never seen anything like it.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9079525

I've never heard that mushrooms have any danger to other growing things, just to us if we eat them. I've never read a warning about mushrooms in compost. I would not worry. They are there because you have something they like- organic matter in a certain stage of decay and moisture. It seems funny that I rarely to never had them in compost (in humid East Coast) yet you hot western folks do.
I've had little cup fungus on wood mulch- cute little cups with seedlike spore things in them- they look like a nest with eggs
daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9079649

TX_gardner. I too have mulch in the onion bed. Not the cedar type. Not quite sure what it is, probably a random blend. It's from Home Depot.

I guess it means I'm watering too much. Though, if it's no big deal, I won't change anything. The excess water will be needed when things warm up here.

sallyg. I too have not heard any warnings about mushrooms on compost piles.

Thanks for the comments.David

P.S. We're supposed to get rain Friday. WooHoo!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9080006

We have everything from giant puffballs to the little brown 'toadstools'? in the lawn.
I get forest mushrooms in my mulch and compost,only things it seems to be is mulch is a good place for fungus to grow.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America