-
AuthorContent
eden100
Edinburg, IL
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2012
10:18 PM

Post #9079181

Last night in Illinois we had 28 degrees for 5 hours. I covered everything that I could with everything that I could find (I'm talking big garden here) but it was too windy to keep the large hydrangea covered. Since we had mid 70 degree weather for 4-5 weeks the endless summer hydrangea was nearly fully leafed out. This morning I found 50% of the leaves were black and shrunken. I don't think it had yet produced any flower buds but it is in sad shape. Many trees and bushes also suffered damage. Do leaves regrow or will I be looking at an unsightly bush all summer. Will this also mean fewer blooms this year?
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
12:59 AM

Post #9079207

Damaged leaves will eventually die, dry out and be replaced. You can cut them if you wish although I sometimes leave them if they are not too many. Then I prune them in a month if I find that they are dead. The roots should not have been affected so the shrub should recover. However, it may take some time for new growth to appear so do not despair. Keep them well mulched with 3-4" and keep the soil evenly moist. Do not apply fertilizers now because the shrub is stressed.

Damage to flower buds is more difficult to determine because you usually cannot see them. The flower buds normally occur near the end of the stems so some probably got zapped. It will mean fewer blooms from the crop of blooms that you normally get this time of the year. However, this is rebloomer ES we are talking about so, ES should generate more new flower buds around June-ish again.

Winter protection, applied in the Fall, might help alleviate some of these problems. If you decide to add protection, remove it about 1-2 weeks after your average date of last frost in Spring (your local nurseries can tell you when this is).
eden100
Edinburg, IL
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9080135

thank you, that's good news
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9080796

I have the same problem...leaves turning black after a frost...thank you for the info.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydrangeas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydrangea Ayesha Roselaine 9 Jul 13, 2012 2:54 PM
Cutting Hydrangeas anastatia 2 Jul 31, 2007 9:43 PM
"Forever and Ever" Hydrangea toni5735 14 Dec 30, 2008 11:10 AM
I hope this works. Hydrangeas planted in a leaf mix... kbaumle 30 Apr 28, 2009 3:20 AM
How to winter over lace cap cuttings? kbaumle 10 Jan 13, 2008 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America