AuthorContent

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9079745

Pughbear7 must be blowing around Oklahoma because he left us here to fend for ourselves. We miss him and hope he soon lands and returns to his thread. No one here can answer questions like he does but we will try until he returns home and comes back to basics.

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1234328/#new

Please check in so we know we have not gone off without anyone. Visitors welcome and all questions are answered to the best of our ability.

Thumbnail by JBerger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9079899

LOL, you did good JB, yes it should have been III. No matter. I am surprised that the computer accepted it and didn't tell you there was one there already. Or did you say the same thing as the others?

What was the pretty flower? Jen

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9079988

Jen, I thought that he was always calling it Basics I meaning like Gardening 101, etc.

Then when I saw this one that said II, I thought it was because he just decided since he moved both threads that time, he made it II to tell the first one from the second one. Since we were so bad on that first one. I do not think he keeps using different numbers on this thread but then hell, what do I know. We will have to live with it unless someone knows how to edit the title. I tried. LOL.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9080030

LOL, JB, it really doesn't matter. We all know what it is. Do you really think we were bad? I see you know who once in a while when I am cruising the paths of Dave's Garden. :0) Now don't get mad. LOL
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

April 12, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9080468

I am here. Up late but just checking in to say hello. I will check in early in the am to ask a few questions. Sharon
Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2012
11:16 PM

Post #9080492

good evening:
sorry for the long silence. Ive been helping friends. one is moving so I had to watch the movers and tell them where to put things and helping a friend in sapulpa with her greenhouse. she is doing grand opening on the 21st. i will be out of town visiting grand babies then. Ive been so busy helping others my own stuff has been lucky to get water but tomorrow I get to go back in and play,
Ill give more detail tomorrow
Dave

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9080745

Oh, there is our leader...we are so happy to see you are up and at em. I hope you are not angry with me for moving the thread. Talk later. got lots to do today. JB
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

April 13, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9080959

Dave, you need to learn the lesson I finally did. Learn how to say NO. At least say no when you are behind in your own chores. I was at a luncheon and a young woman, mid 40's, cam up to me and said she had heard I was a wonderful gardener and would I help her. Normally I would jump right in, and kill myself for weeks on end. This time I said I was just way to busy but I would meet with her and her gardeners once if she wanted my suggestions. She did not want that. I was so proud, when I got home I called my daughter and told her I actually turned someone down on gardening help. She could not believe it.

I actually catch myself driving by a landscape and thinking, boy they need my help. Then the right side of my brain tells me to get a life and take care of my own. Now you guys are my own. I will always help you. Love Sharon
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9081275

Sharon ~ Good for you! So many people out there wanting free help. (Maybe you should give her your consulting fee.) I guess she did mention that she did not want you to meet with her gardeners. Maybe she thought you would do it all for free, the work, that is...LOL!!

Dave ~ Did you know about the tornado warning? Maybe it would be safer to be elsewhere in the next few days. Losing a home would be terrible, but worse would be to lose you and Kim. Godspeed!!

JB ~ Are you in the tornado zone? It snowed for most of the day today, then it turned into rain and now the sun is out for a short while, fading as I type. Most of the snow has melted, except, of course, un my fenced garden where it stays until the last moment. I don't know why since it is not in the shade. What is your ebay name so I can check out your store? I don't have a store, but just sell a few things from time to time. Actually I checked and have not sold anything since April 2008! (No wonder I almost forgot how!)

May the tornadoes all not touch down at all...for everyone. No one deserves all that feear and heartbreak.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9081913

Evelyn, I closed my eBay store when I took on Plant Scout. Plant Scout is doing nothing for me at this time. I think Market Place was the best place but now that is gone I am looking for other outlets. I just list the things on eBay as buy it now and I have about 8 things. I am going to think seriously about opening the eBay store again after my Plant Scout membership runs out. JBerger1946 is my eBay name. I do not change much because they are all tied in with my website at one time or another and of course the JB is so common I need to keep identifying myself. Pain in the butt.
I wish i could figure a way out to open a store on eBay so all of us on this thread could sell if we wanted to in the one store but that would be a real mess with the way they have fees for this and that. Just a fun thought. lol
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9082358

Wait a minute JB, I thought you said it was great they were closing Marketplace and people were going to have to use the classifieds and pay for them. Boy did I misunderstand on that one!! Guess I need to put on my glasses or clean them next time I am reading this stuff.

Don't Cubits or All Things Plants have places to sell your plants? I haven't looked lately, but I thought that is what Cubits was all about.

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

April 14, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9082544

Hi everyone... checking in...

Linda... I'd love to see pictures of your propagator! Sounds cool...

Nancy
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9082717

Mine is one that was mad with a plastic tub with holes drilled in the top, little plastic baskets sit in the holes, an aeriator makes bubble in the bottom and you put seed start pods or what ever to keep the seeds in them moist, fill with water and put seeds in the little jiffy pod things. Voila, seeds germinate well and it is easier to get them out without disturbing the roots as much. The tender ones. I plant the whole bod in the ground and don't put as many seeds in each one.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9083131

Cubits has one or two places on forums to sell. I can never find them. I put some things in one and now I can not find it again. LOL. Can you imagine how a buyer must feel who is looking for something? They had stores before All Things Plants came up and they moved all the plant stuff to ATP...there is no place there at this time to sell but Dave said he is considering it.

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 15, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9083178

I had such a hard time finding anything at cubits that I finally quit going there and I guess I got so busy that i finally quit going to all things plants too. I should make an effort to go back there.
Dawn that is a great idea for the seeds. I don't have the little baskets for my propagator and since I made the holes in my propagator small, I really can't use them anyway. I will try to come up with another way.
Nancy, I will look through my computer for the pics. If I don't have them I will post a link to the blog that I used to build it.

I really need to set up a website. I guess I am just chicken.

Gotta go, Hubby wants to get busy.
I'll check in later.
Linda
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9083350

I did the same thing Linda. I couldn't find anything on cubits and didn't have the time to play with it so quit looking. Same with ATP. There must be something out there JB.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9083408

JBerger wrote:Cubits has one or two places on forums to sell. I can never find them. I put some things in one and now I can not find it again. LOL. Can you imagine how a buyer must feel who is looking for something? They had stores before All Things Plants came up and they moved all the plant stuff to ATP...there is no place there at this time to sell but Dave said he is considering it.

Do you have a website? Do you make many sales from there, if you do?

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9083426

Yes Evelyn, I have a website and it is linked with my other selling places. If you would like to take a look at it it is http://www.JBsBirdsandMore.com You can look at the JBsPlant section and see what I have for sale. I do get business from there but I can not afford to have it advertised like it should be. That is too expensive. I have always had it and if you google it you will see it comes up on several places. I sold birds that way for 10 years. Word of mouth and Websites are the best there is. Problem is, you need to keep out there chatting and meeting new people and I just do not have time right now. I have plants in all but a few of the United States and of course I do not ship outside the continental US. I have had several requests from PR and Canada and the UK but it would not be possible for me to get the price I would need to cover the cost of the inspections I have to get to comply with NJ International Shipping regulations.
eBay has a MAP that was really neat. You paid so much to have it kept up for you and they would show you by dots where your plants were going. I just could not afford to keep it up so I gave it up but I was all over the place and that was an eye opener for me to realize I had covered so many states.
I would retire but this is a great tax writeoff.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9087753

Linda, I am getting ready to set up my aeroponic project and was wondering what you put in the water, if anything. Do you dip them in rooting hormones etc? Any hydrogen peroxide?
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 18, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9087821

Just water Jen, I don't even use peroxide in mine. it is amazing to me how they work. LOL Oh on the Mock orange, I would start cuttings that are 6-8 inches long with at least 2 extra leaf nodes.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9088031

LOL, Linda, I started that size and sent them to the recipient(S) :0) and they made fun of the little twigs. Guess they wanted a big bush.

Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9098881

Hi everyone:
just got back frm dr. so I will be at my best week after next. kims got me out of town next week dallas for some continueing ed on her accounting lisc. so i will do a lot of winder shopin... yes I have started saying no to people. have to. got too much to do on my own and i really dont want to give up the back yard nursery. this year will be my best. I just have to sell off some starts of boxwood and some emerald gaity euonymus ... just a few plugs about 250 of the boxwood and 200 of the euonymus nothin much... lol i dread packing them.
I am shifting to gallons, quarts and 1801's. before I was jsut plugs and 1801's. I think I will do better with the new mix. I am also doing some sorting out and dumping of stuff I don't see a use for or a chance of selling. no sense in keeping stuff I am not going to enjoy or will be used in sales. just have to get caught up. the harder i go the behinder i get ...lol
hopefully week after next I will be doing all my sorting and shipping of the stuff I am behind in sending to people I have promised stuff to.
Dave

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9099013

Good to hear from you Dave. We miss you terribly. I think it is great that you are going to be able to get back to work again and get rid of some of your stock. Do you have much hosta left? Business is slow but people who are buying are buying good amounts.

I have started doing some woody stuff and so far so good. The Black Pussy Willow sold out and the Curley Willow is beginning to move. It will soon be time to get the gardenias growing again and the Jasmine are not doing well at all. I am going to finish potting the new Christmas Cactus cuttings in the next week or so and then I will be full again and no room for anything. I may just give up the jasmine if it does not wake up. I do not fertilize enough I know that but i am so afraid of over fertilizing and not using the proper fertilizer. Oh well, we can not all be perfect.

Take care of yourself and keep in touch. If only a quick email or Facebook. Hugs to you both. JB
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9100690

Yeah David is here. You take care of you this year. Put Dave on the top of things to do.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 27, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9100721

I too am having to re-vamp and re-arrange. I finally set up the propagator day before yesterday, but this nasty bug is kicking my butt and my energy is only holding out for a few minutes at a time. I still have far too many epiphyllums and things that have to over winter and it doesn't seem as though my seedlings are moving fast enough. BonnieBlue isn't helping either, if there is a pot within her reach, she sneaks the plants out and shreds the pot. I found 1 of my new clematis vines the other day. Also the stake out of my jasmine, and 1/2 of my dragon fruit. I have found that if I put them up on tables, the kitten waits for Titus or Spud ( especially Spud) to walk past unsuspectingly and then plays "the sky is falling" with whatever is closest to the edge. I wish I could get it on video.
I only cut 1 branch of the sasanquas off. I have to get out tomorrow and see what is left of the others. My neighbor's yard crew cleared the log today, so it will be interesting to see if there is anything left. This is the kind of crew that comes in with weed eaters, and blowers and your yard is done in 15 minutes and gee your neighbor's yard gets a free mulching of all your oak leaves. I don't mean to sound negative. I am truly thankful that they took care of the log for me. I didn't know how I was going to get that done right now.

Anyway, now I am beginning to start some akebia, lantana, michelia, brunsfelsia and clerodendron and sasanquas.

Hope everyone else is well and happy.
Dave, have fun and be careful while you are in Dallas. I'll bet there are fabulous nurseries there.

Sea Ya
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9102045

Yeah, Linda, you should get the cat's antics on camera and get a big cash prize from the show "Funniest Home Videos". also put it on "You Tube". You will just giggle yourself right out of that virus that has been getting you down.

Feel better.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2012
10:53 PM

Post #9102056

My dogs are destructive too. They have strong prey drive and are determined to get squirrels in my yard and gophers too. I have holes all over and can't poison now which makes it worse, but like you they are so cute and so loving that it's a wash.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 29, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9102477

Maybe, I will buy1 of those wildlife cameras that snaps a shot every few seconds. LOL that would really get her in all her glory. Yesterday Bonnie Blue found a baby possum. She just sat down and barked at it. The more she barked, the more the possum snarled. Titus would have been all over that critter but he was in the house and never bothered to see what the young brat was up too. I distracted bonnie long enough to let it climb the tree and go on it's merry way. Since I don't have birds anymore, they aren't a threat to the babies so I don't let them bother me.
I started a few things in the propagator and I can't wait to see roots. I get so impatient that way. Nothing is rooting yet. I am wondering if I should put an aquarium heater in the tank. Maybe the warm water would get them going faster. Then again maybe it is like a crock pot and I should just leave it alone for a few days. LOL
I am still fighting the nasty bug, but it is getting better. Burk got up with it yesterday so he feels awful but Shawn was really sweet last night and brought us a cantaloupe home from work because he said they are full of antioxidants. LOL Gotta love the way he thinks.
Hope everyone has a great Sunday,
Linda

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9102491

Love this time of year when you can actually see the floor of the greenhouse and the shelves are empty and all you have to do is rearrange everything and get ready to start all over again. The potting work station was a mess, it was like no one cared, all sizes of pots all over everywhere and crap in the buckets, trash buckets full, stakes all thrown in a corner, now it is all reorganized and cleaned and I can find the size pots I am looking for. Actually am still cleaning pots but it has been too cold to go out and hose down the ones that have been soaking for days in disinfectant.
Sold out of the Aimee 2 yr. old gardenias yesterday. Another one going to California...I must have a dozen out there in different areas. This one goes to Fortuna, wherever that is????
My friend dropped off some lilly of the valleys and I must get them in the ground. We had some rain but I am irrigating the glads since the wind has dried everything up as fast as it came down.
Hope you have a good day and Linda, get yourself better girl, you pick up those bugs and they are hard to shake this time of year.
Unfortunately this time of year with the Horse Park events and the farm, Sunday is just another work day. I am trying to catch up from not being able to move with this stupid left leg and its pain. I am headed back to the Chiropractor and make him fix whatever he did to hurt me for four days. He is on my s list.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9102513

Feel better JB. What horse park events do you have something to do with. I must not have remembered this conversation?

I want a greenhouse. One day. I need a heavy duty one though, wind here is hell.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9102709

I have been a life member of the Horse Park of New Jersey for years and a volunteer since day one. I do all the deposits, the money comes in to the office, my daughter posts it in the proper books (she is the liaison between the State of NJ and the Horse Park) and she brings it home, I make up the deposit slips, and take the money to the bank. I also keep the Membership records and send thank you notes to all the contributors who get one. The membership list is only about 200 but I keep that up to date, etc. We have done this from the time the Horse Park started and I am still doing it. I seldom have to go to the park anymore except on May 10 to 13 the Jersey Fresh 3 Day Event which is a pre-olympic event like the Rollex in Kentucky that was this week end. Horses from all over the world come to those events. I take the money if it is too much to keep around the Park and I take it home for safe keeping. I also enjoy watching the different events. The horses are just beautiful. If you want to take a look at their website it is http://www.horseparkofnewjersey.com
There is usually an event every weekend and I head for the bank on Monday Mornings on my way to ship my plants.
Sunday nights I do the deposits when the money eventually gets here to the Farm. My daughter and her husband are there today helping at a Dressage Schooling Show, plus they were having a Scavanger hunt on horseback going on at another part of the Park. Today was my day to stay home, tend the farm and make them dinner so they do not have to do that when they get home. They both work full time for the State and weekends are usually very short when they volunteer also.
Sorry, did not mean to make this so long. Just wanted to answer your question. JB
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9102812

Pughbear7 wrote:Hi everyone:

I just have to sell off some starts of boxwood and ... just a few plugs about 250 of the boxwood and...(snip, snip) nothin much... lol I dread packing them.

Dave

What is the minimum on your boxwood plugs? Did you start them all from cuttings? Do you have a website? Where do I go to look at your inventory? Where do you sell them?

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9110024

Just checking in. Have been busy weeding and weeding and weeding. This spring everything is in bloom...red lantana, daisy, day lillies, amarillas, dianthus, snap dragon, and on and on. Now my agapanthus are in buds. Don't know what I will plant next. I have lots of seeds with good intensions, but not enough time.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9110137

Peg when you get done there you can come start on my yard!! I would love it. This rain just gets more and more weeds.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9110156

Just a little food for thought on seed starting I have been discussing with Jen - for hard seed coats has anybody else tried the "boiling water" method?

I hadn't read about it anywhere before I saw it on another post.

Boil water, pour it directly onto your seeds and let them sit in that water overnight before planting.

It has worked for me incredibly well.

I have never been really keen on the "nick the seedcoat" instruction since that is such an inexact science.

Thoughts?
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

May 4, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9110205

I have never used the "boiling water" Amanda, but I always use hot water ( like I would wash dishes in.) Then I soak them overnight in that.

We are still fighting the crud. Dr. says it is one of those things that just has to run its course. I can't take antibiotics like a normal human I am allergic to all but 2 of them and those 2 aren't really very effective for things like this. We have had a blast blaming the jasmine and ligustrum flowers for our ills.

I walked outside this morning though and was greeted by my first hydrangea bloom of the season. It must have heard me talking about moving it yesterday. LOL. Bonnie Blue is destroying so many of my plants in pots, that Burk has agreed to fence off part of the yard for me to have a place of safety for the little plants. At least until they are big enough to sell or plant in their new homes. I sure need the space. He bought lumber to build tables for me too. Oh what a guy!

I am trying to work a little bit, but trust me it has been very little. I thought I would deep clean in the house today and get rid of all the germs, but Bonnie got into my succulents and pulled quite a few out of their pots and spread them all over the yard, so I will be repotting those first. I hope I have found all of them.

Peg, I love the red lantana. Mine never seems to come back though. I have tried the red several times and that is always the tender one.

Gotta go get busy, I just wanted to check in.
Hope everyone is doing ok.
Linda
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9110363

Sometimes lantana freezes here also, but this winter was so mild that it stayed about 4' tall and alive. I have been tieing it to an arched trellis. It looks great. The passion vine I had on it bearly blooms. Guess it is lack of attention. I am hoping to get some red lantana into starter pots to use elsewhere since it is such a showy plant.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9110655

I'll bet it is gorgeous Peg. I love lantanas but they are annuals here. And trailing so we put them in pots. I wouldn't know what to do with one like you describe. Can you post a picture? I would love to see it. Jen
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

May 4, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9110768

I'll bet it is gorgeous trained to a trellis. I have seen them trained into standards and thought about trying it, but don't really have the patience. Maybe i need a new project. LOL

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9111359

Wanted to share the curly willow with you and ask your opinion is anyone knows. It is called Corkscrew or Curly Willow and some ask me if it was Scarlet or Golden cultivar...like I should know? Anyhow, does anyone know how to tell the cultivar of these things. DG just confused me more. LOL Dave, help please.

The first picture is what is for sale, and the second are the stock plants by the barn. They are lovely to look at and so easy to grow.

Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2012
10:10 PM

Post #9112194

JB, I had one in Seattle and it was about maybe 12 or 15 feet tall. I really did like it, but one day I found it lying down and hardly any root on it at all. Nothing to anchor it. It had been growing in the lawn and maybe it didn't get enough water. That is the only thing I can think. Willows do take a lot of water and at the time I had forgotten that about them.

I was so sorry to lose it. Jen
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2012
10:18 PM

Post #9113428

Oh that is so interesting JB. I love horse racing. I am proficient in the various ways to make bets and all and am not a real gambler so I don't do it often but I got started into it with my late friend and her husband who owned a race horse and we used to get into Fairplex free and watch the races from the center green. I am usually there in Vegas at the Sports book when I go, because so much time passes between races that I lose slower than slots.

I don't think my vines are making it Linda. I don't see any green yet on them and some are snapping already.

My roses are just starting to bloom, my gardens are coming along. All my Fall clean up last year paid off in one of my lazagna gardens.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9113842

I have decided to try my hand at propagating the Old Fashion Weigela or Weigela florida, wish me luck. Any suggestions, please let me know. Here is my stock plant.

Thumbnail by JBerger

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9114048

Oh JB good luck. She is a beauty. :-)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9114486

JB, the Weigelas have always been one of my favorites. I even had a variegated one in Seattle. I love them. Yes, good luck with them.

Amanda, I got another email from Zachary from Burpee today. We are becoming regular pals. LOL, anyway, he wants me to let him know how the seeds do. Wait until I tell him I poured boiling water on them. LOL. I will wait tho until they germinate before telling him anything like that.

No, haven't gotten the seeds yet. Jen

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9114885

YARRGH.

So much for crowing.

Has anyone ever grown a shrimp plant from seed?

We ARE in the propagation forum!!! Cerinthe major purpurescens or something like that.

Blue shrimp.

I read all the plant files - was delighted when the seeds sprouted - grew nicely - I transplanted them and BAM! Crapped out. Well they WANTED to but I won't let them!!!!

So many of the PF entries say the seedlings crapped out when the seedlings were transplanted. I wondered why - when I was transplanting them I noticed they didn't have much of a root system even though the plants were at least 5" high. I wondered if I was planting them too deeply. Too much soil.

I think they liked what I planted them in - a soilless mix of just pine bark fines and peat moss. Rapid draining. Anyway - complete wilt - limp. I took them out and transplanted them AGAIN into nice and dry very fine seed starting mix - it's all I have, but I did this a couple of weeks ago with a single sunset hibiscus seedling which was also crapping out from overwatering.

Anyway - the hibiscus is doing very well now on my windowsill in a 2" pot with seed starting mix.

-sigh-

I will be really sad if I lose all the blue shrimp plants. They look so pretty. Good news is that the Vigna seeds all survived their transplant and all look very healthy and happy.

Jen - there is still only one sprout standing of the Burpee seeds, and I am not going to go in there rooting around. The seedling does look like the others out there, so maybe they are all the same after all.

Thoughts on the shrimp plant?

I'll let you know how they look tomorrow. :/

A.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 7, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9114953

This was posted on All Things Plants

Thought you might find it helpful.

Mixing charts for gardening with hydrogen peroxide

If you want to start gardening with hydrogen peroxide, you need to know how much peroxide to use. Here are charts to tell you how much!

To water or mist plants, to soak seeds, to add to water used to wash sprouts:

TO THIS AMOUNT OF WATER ADD THIS AMOUNT OF 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE --OR-- ADD THIS AMOUNT OF 35% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
1 cup 1 and 1/2 teaspoons 7 to 10 drops
1 quart 2 tablespoons 1/2 teaspoon
1 gallon 1/2 cup 2 teaspoons
5 gallons 2 and 1/2 cups 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon
10 gallons 5 cups 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons
20 gallons 10 cups 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon
bathtub (aprox 25 to 35 gallons) * 12 to 17 cups 1 to 1.5 cups

* bathtub sizes vary. It is okay to use more water and/or less peroxide.

To spray on sick or fungusy plants:
TO THIS AMOUNT OF WATER ADD THIS AMOUNT OF 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE --OR-- ADD THIS AMOUNT OF 35% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
1 cup 1 tablespoon 1/4 teaspoon
1 pint 2 tablespoons 1/2 teaspoon
1 quart 1/4 cup 1 teaspoon
1 gallon 1 cup 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon
5 gallons 5 cups 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons
10 gallons 10 cups 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoons
20 gallons 20 cups 1 and 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons

Please be mindful to choose the correct column in the chart depending on whether you are using 3% hydrogen peroxide or 35% hydrogen
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9114962

Gosh Amanda, that is tough. I have had large shrimp plants, but not blue ones. It has just been too long since I had it. Can't help you there.

Am anxious to try your method with the seeds from Burpee. No difference between the looks of the 2 I bought. The Yellow one and the Corkscrew. I truly do not know what the yellow one is. The picture she sent me looks like a Sweet pea. I fertilized it and it really took off. I had up-potted it just a couple of days before that.

I started seeds that I am sure I got from a grower that said Cobaea but my daughter didn't think they were and then I grew a seed from another grower and it looked totally different. I don't remember what they look like. Guess I will have to google them. Or maybe PFs. Jen
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9115003

We crossposted Sharon. Who posted that Sharon? Sorry, just because it was posted there does not make it right. I do not agree. I think 1/2 Cup per gallon of water is too much. I have been using it for probably 20 or more years. I started out with 2 squirts from a little pump bottle in a gallon of water. That was a commercial plant food. And it worked really good. I had the best looking houseplants. I don't know that it will hurt them, but probably a waste of the hp.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 7, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9115042

It was posted by Rick Corey. I will forward you the web site he took it off.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 7, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9115047

Her you go kiddo.

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9115055

Ok, I clicked on the main page it showed, and it was put out by the HP mfg. Like I said, it probably won't hurt the plants, but I would say a waste of the HP.

I know that if Rick posts things he usually has a good (whatever, can't think of the word I want) LOL, but you know what I mean. I still don't think you need that much. Would be interesting to run a test on them tho.

RICK? Are you game? Jeanette
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2012
10:25 PM

Post #9115104

JB ~ Beautiful weigela. I hope you can succeed. Just use that picture, and they will sell, unless you are just growing them for yourself for a hedge or some other landscaping ideas. I once had a 'Wine and Roses' Weigela, but I did lose it. Not sure what the cause was.

Sharon ~ I planted the hibiscus in the ground the other day. I will let you know if I kill it, but it looks like nothing can short of just not watering it. The bamboo leaves look a bit dry, so I have that in a pot for now. Once it recovers, then I will plant it. Thanks again.

Linda ~ It will be awhile for my hydrangeas to bloom, but at least they have leaves now. (Our last snow was April 13th...yes, Friday the 13th!)

Today I weeded the asparagus bed and ate along the way. I never knew how good raw asparagus is...yum! Then I planted parsley along the edge. I have more to do but at least I got a good start. I also put some parsley in the Square Foot Garden that I covered with row cover to try and keep some cool-season veggies longer. The cabbage is not quite ready and there is lettuce, celery and spinach in there too. It was warm today. I think it was 80 in Sacramento, but fortuantely we are a bit cooler here, it was a surprising 77 here with a nice cool breeze at all times.

The potatoes are coming along in the new raised bed in the ground as well as some in one of the Square Foot Gardens. Steve built a new one for me this year and I will have enough tomatoes to plant in there as well as some I will chance in the ground, hoping that the gophers do not eat them. Maybe I will put some blood meal in the planting holes. I do not know if that will help. I can hardly wait to start corn, beans, melons and squash. And of course, there are a "ton" of weeds everywhere, after this last rain storm. At least I was able to do some weeding in the winter, go figure! If I hadn't done those then, I would just throw my hands up in the air and say...#*&#@^&**##!! :-)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9115109

You're on late Evelyn. Sharon went to bed sulking 'cause I called her Buster. She didn't like it. LOL Oh well, if that bothered her she needed some sleep.

I tried growing Asparagus one time 'cause I love it. But, in Seattle the morning glory, wild stuff, is just awful and it came thru and wrapped itself around all the stalks. Just awful. I gave up on the Asparagus after a season or 2.

But, it is Asparagus season and I swear I am going to get some this year while it is on locally. Think it is my favorite vegetable.

I have a sister who lives in Stockton and I think that is the banana belt of the growing in this country. She always tells me about all the stuff she grows and I am so jealous. I don't think I would want to live there tho 'cause it would be almost year round gardening. I think at my age I need the rest of winter. Maybe not quite so long.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9115268

Thanks for the post Sharon - I have seen that site too. Who can say how much is enough? None of us are scientists. Well I am not a plant physiologist. :D

Ummm, Evelyn sounds like you are having fun in your garden. Reminds me that I have to go and weed the raised bed I planted for my neighbor lady. There are more weeds than seeds I think.

About the shrimp seedlings - the emergency re-transplant last evening did the trick for some. Some I can see I will lose where the stems go into the soil are skinny and dark. Live and learn!

I also have news on the Vigna JEN.

I went in there to poke around against my better judgment. :P

One seed has a nice long root but was stuck in the shell I guess. Another seed is as hard as it was when it went in. Another seed is all bloated and I think on the verge of rot.

The difference is soil - The CA/South Africa seeds that got 100% germination were in a very light seed starting mix. The Burpee seeds are/were in a potting mix - MG organic, I think. My observations make me think that you can't plant them too deeply and you have to use a very light soil.

When you get your seeds you'll benefit from my mistakes. I hope!

xox
A.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9115669

Amanda, by light do you mean with a lot of peralite in it? Have you ever used Roots Organic potting soil? I think it is soil. Not soiless. But, it puts a lot of air in it. Sometimes I think too much so that the seeds aren't getting enough of the up close to the material and dry out. I am thinking that might be a good one to try after cooking the crap out of them with the boiling water. Waddaya think? Jen
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9115749

Amanda, here is the picture of the plant I bought at a garage sale Saturday. She called this a Corkscrew PLANT. LOL, no, not a vine. Or a tree. No, it is not that crinkly grass. It is more like thick chives. No, it does not smell like onions. Jen

Thumbnail by Jnette

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9115882

That's a neat plant! But not the one ha ha - you're silly. Maybe if you get sprouts you can let them grow up your corkscrew plant?!

I am not familiar with that product - I have never purchased seed soil starting mix myself, but a neighbor gave me a 5 gallon bucket full and another bag . . . Don't know what brand but yes it looks like peat moss and maybe the shiny stuff - it's not got any granules or sticks or anything. It is fine as flower or powdered sugar!

Remember depth - not too deep, but that's all I did - waited till the water came to a boil and poured it onto the seeds in a pyrex container. Let it sit like that overnight and then plant - see what happens! I think if I hadn't pulled those seeds today they would have rotted.

Planted too deep and this soil holds too much water.

A.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9116504

Well, that might be why this will work. It gets a lot more air in it. But, I don't want them drying out either. Maybe I should mix something with it. I am counting my chix before they hatch. I don't have the seeds yet. Jen

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9116574

No no no - of course you water it once thoroughly the first time. I did mine like I would a cutting. Watered the first time and then . . ... See what you're doing is overthinking it. I did that the first time and killed all my seeds. :D
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 12, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9121666

Well soaking my seeds was very interesting. I soaked two different green beans. One was a white seed and one was a dark brown. The white doubled in size. All seeds swelled. The darker seed had 5 that swelled and 4 that did not. So I planted all of them but marked the area where I planted the 4 that appeared not to swell.

In several batches all the seeds sunk to the bottom of the container. Some of them had portions of the seeds sink and then floaters remaining on top. It appeared that the floaters were not viable.

And I spilled one container and have no idea where the seed went. They were black and so was the soil.

I am going to soak seeds late tomorrow for planting on Monday.

Later friends. Sharon
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2012
10:52 PM

Post #9121689

Sharon, somehow I had the idea you were planting in your flower beds. Now, from what you say, it doesn't sound like it. Are you planting any annuals etc.??
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2012
11:34 PM

Post #9121700

I wonder if Weigelia will grow in my new area. That will be fun because it is 30 min. away but a whole different zone.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 13, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9122183

So Dawn, are you moving????

Jen, I was planting in my flower beds but I only have about 20 different bed all around the landscape. And then there are the very large pots. Actually the majority of my landscape is bed. I am planting some annuals Monday.

Vern is up, dressed and watching golf. I am going to get dressed, sometime today and take the puppies for a long walk down to the golf course. I have not gotten down there with my camera yet. By the time I do all the cactus will be done blooming.

Two children have called so far this morning. My son and one step-daughter.

I only have one appointment. Eye doctor on Thursday. My eye doctor is one of Todd's best friends and his wife died two weeks ago from cancer. Such a fine young couple.

Todd and Heather are in Walla Walls in the wine country. Been there since Friday night. Getting ready to drive home.

I will take a few photos today or tomorrow of what is blooming.

I sent Dave an e-mail and told him his package is going to have to wait. Too hot and to over whelming. Vern and the puppies are a full time job. Housekeepers were here Thursday and the house does not even look like they have been here. Muddy paw prints everywhere. I guess I will get the steamer out. I have the majority of his plants in my holding bed. They will just be held a little longer.

All of you have a wonderful Mother's Day and I will return later. Sharon
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9122740

Sharon, you didn't say what annuals you are planting. Are you sowing direct, or did you buy plants? Do you know if you cut the flowers off of stocks, do the bloom again? Jen
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 13, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9122779

Yes, Jen, if you dead head stock, they will bloom again. Same with snapdragons.

I will get my list together and give you a list tomorrow. I am planting seeds. I am forcing myself to use some of the seeds I have purchased. Some are annuals and some are perennials..

See you all tomorrow. Sharon
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 14, 2012
11:08 PM

Post #9124296

I need to dead head my stock. I just dead headed several Dianthus. Did any of you watch the Bachelorette tonight?

We are looking for a second getaway home in the mountains.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 14, 2012
11:12 PM

Post #9124298

Do not watch the Bachelorette.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9124773

No Dawn, why do you ask?

Where abouts in the mountains? I hope there are places that aren't a long drive for you. You won't get there often if it is.

When we were kids my folks bought a cabin on the lake about 30 miles from home. That was real nice. Unfortunately that is way out of most people's price range today. 'course it was then too. But my folks went thru the depression and like most people that did that, they were very frugal and paid cash for everything. I doubt that my folks ever paid a dime in interest. Not even on houses. They waited until they had the money or they didn't buy things.

Guess that is why they could afford a place like that. All the money most people paid in interest they had to actually use to buy things they needed.

Well, I slept in this morning so it is getting late. Suppose to be 85 today. The last day and then it starts cooling off and rain. Oh well, knew it couldn't last.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9124783

I watched part of it and the southern accent drove me crazy so I went to sleep. I can only take so much of that real southern accent and her's is just too much.( Sorry Linda, just certain people affect me that way) I know that sounds terrible, but it is the same with the twang some country singers have. Makes me crazy. Of course I am sure people think I have a NJ accent when in fact it is more like Phila. LOL Just a quirk of mine.

Raining like the dickens here. We need it but it sure is keeping the workers from starting my deck. So, I went to breakfast with Theresa(girl that helps me around the farm) and her husband and then she and I went into town and did some errands. This was not her day to work but she just felt like running around, so that is what we did.

Have paperwork to do today. Later. JB

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9125396

I asked about the show because I was going to watch it and I have been wating the series Bachelor/Bachelorette for about 10 years now. I like her accent because she seems sweet.
However they do show her telling a guy to get the F out, for calling her child baggage, sometime in the future on this show.

Jeannet the town is about 20 miles from here. We could go often. We are doing it for a retirement investment and putting about 30% down, maybe 40. We probably won't leave this darn area with my grand daughters here and my kids, though son wants to move. Prices are usually off the charts up there, but there are some affordable ones now so it is a good investment since we live in a triple wide mobile now, this will allow us to still live a simple budget friendly life and hopefully make good on a return one day so we can retire. We have owned this home for 10 years next July so the mortgage will start going down on the principal soon and we pay a little extra each month. The home we have an offer on is a Fannie Mae. They are asking much more than we are offering. We lost one offer already but we won't pay what they are asking when they are holding so much inventory back. It could make it upside down before we buy.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9125524

Are you saying it is a foreclosure Dawn???? Why does your son want to move? Is he the one with your grandkids? Is he trying to move with his employer?

It does sound like you have all your ducks in line Dawn and everything going for you. Good luck. Jen

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9127889

It is a Fannie Mae but they countered with a 3K discount, when I know they have few homes on the market and are holding back many, many to keep the prices up. I refuse to be the last one to buy at the high prices and be upside down right out of the gate with another loan. Already upside down on this darn home.

We did not respond to them. We may wait a while and see if someone doesn't buy it and throw up a low offer again, but meanwhile, I can't see paying what they are manipulated people to pay, by holding inventory back. God forbid they unload more than the prices will go down. We wait.

Son just does not like the area. One of the kids is his but he and the baby mama split so Shelby will still be here. Don't know how he could leave her though, so he will probably be here too.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

May 20, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9130540

Just for general info... These things did not root in the propagator...

ginger lily leaf ( I kind of knew this was a given, but I wanted to experiment)
coral vine ( this one kind of surprised me)
bee balm ( I thought for certain this would) maybe my cuttings were too soft
lantana ( I have tried these before and they just sit there wondering what i was doing to them)
chocolate vine ( this is the one plant that is supposed to be like kudzu and I can't get it to root!)

anyway, just thought I would toss those out there . Anyone else trying stuff?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9130563

LOL, Linda you are so positive. If they don't root in there it is because they won't.

I blamed myself when things didn't work in the aeroponic.

Amanda, I discovered the thermostat on my heat mat went out. So, in thinking how it works, or is suppose to work, I think maybe it cooked the seeds I had on it, including my Corkscrew seeds. Can you believe that? Also, the plant I bought died. I swear I was not meant to have one.

The Snail Vine is doing good.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9131233

Sorry Linda - I am a novice at cuttings anyway, can't imagine . . ..

Jen - are you sure? Don't give up on them just yet. Knowing how hard those darn seeds are maybe you helped them after all! I don't know how you managed to kill the yellow flowered plant though.

The seedlings I planted out in the container look very strong and green. They are in full sun from at least 10 am - sunset.

I gave 2 away to good friends at our Roundup here in Greensboro yesterday. I will have to be judicious with these "rare" plants. If you don't get one I may have to ship one to you, but you said tuber. How long would it have to grow before I get a tuber? Like a dahlia or something?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9131277

From what I understand, the seeds will make tubers this year. In fact, that Snailvine I had a few years ago got a lot of tubers, big root, the first season in a pot that wasn't real big.

The yellow one is still kicking Amanda. It was the Corkscrew that croaked.

No, I will tell you like I said to Zachary at Burpee. If I can't manage to germinate the seeds, I just wasn't meant to have one.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9131281

Jen - did you have any germination? Are you saying you killed a seedling? Good God woman. Isn't there always something!?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9131292

I killed the Corkscrew that I bought off ebay. But, it really wasn't a real strong plant when I got it.

No, I don't know that I killed the seeds, however, I had petunia seeds in the same tray on the mat with the Corkscrews and I always have a good grow on Petunias. I barely got 3 6 packs out of that tray. So, if the CSs are sensitive, then I would say yes, I killed them. The thermostat going out didn't stop the mat from overheating. I hope that is the problem. I ordered a new thermostat on line. So, I hope my mat is still good. Hope I didn't ruin it too.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9133600

OK, mark your calendars, the Weigela cuttings are in the pots and in the greenhouse...we will see how they do. JB
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9133757

JB, how big a cuttings do you take for the Weigelias? Jen
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9134566

Things get too damp for too long in my propagator and turn to much instead of rooting. Or the tiny roots break off when I pull it out.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9135096

I put this in the Begonia forum too. Dave, or someone, can you help me?

When tubers first start growing in the spring there are many sprouts coming out of the tubers. I want to take some of those off to allow just a couple to be nice strong branches to grow and bloom. But, I don't want to just throw those sprouts away. There must be a way to root and grow those into new plants.

Can anyone tell me how to root them without their rotting instead?
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9135837

Jnette, I propagate begonias in vermiculite. I use the "forsythia" method with a clay pot inside the plastic propagating pot. Plug the hole up in the clay pot so it holds water. Keep the clay pot full of water at all times. I have had great success with this method. This winter I learned how to propagate the dwarf junipers.

Now if I could only figure out how to do the bottle brush bush.

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9136110

I need slug killer, my plants are being defoliated nightly. I put a systmic on plants the other day but still alive, I see.GGGRowling.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9136121

Peg are you talking about tuberous begonias? I don't know how I can do that, leaving them attached to the plant like Forsythia, because I want to take these off when they are about 3" tall. So that the strength will go into the rest of the branches I want left on. Only 2 branches and I have a half dozen sprouts.

Several years ago I wrote to the Begonia Society, and found out I had the Canadian Begonia Society, and they were so nice, he answered me right back every time I wrote something. But he said that was the best way to start begonias, was those sprouts. I forgot what he said about how to do it. When I googled for him now to ask, I couldn't find the CBS.

I would think the BB would be the same as the Forsythia. And easy.

Dawn, I have never heard of using systemic on slugs. Diatomaceous earth, or slug bait. OR, MY FAVORITE, A DUCK. LOL, they love slugs. Problem is they leave as big a mess as they clean up. But theirs washes down with the hose and fertilizes too.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9136548

Jen, I had to look it up about the cuttings on the Weigela Plants. It said between 4 to 8 inches in length. Snip the branch off above a leaf terminal. Snip off the bottom 1/3 of the leaves if full foilage covers the branch. Allow the upper 2/3 of the leaves to remain. It says they will provide the cutting with nutrients to help it produce roots. I must tell you, they look darn droopy this morning. I gave them a good drink and opened all the doors and windows in the greenhouse so they would feel like they were outside. Whatever...
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9137222

LOL, sounds like those "crappy" (was that the word you and Amanda used) cuttings of Mock Oranges I sent you all. LOL

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9138633

Did I tell you Show from ATP sent me five beautiful Radican gardenia starters. They are beautiful and I hope I do not kill them.

The Weigela still look droopy. Jb

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9138735

Oh Jen - the mock orange DID have roots when you sent them so it must have been me that killed them. I am going to take some cuttings this week and try again.

A.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2012
10:22 PM

Post #9138921

Nooooooo JB, you kill a Gardenia????? I can't believe it.

Doesn't matter Amanda. Just had to get a jab in.

nite you all. jen

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9139196

Hey Jen, i have killed many of them honestly. Aimee is the only one I seem to be able to raise. I have a yellow one that is not happy since the day I bought it and I have had it over a year. Also, it was Shoe not Show that sent the radicans to me..

Must get busy. Hugs. Jb
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9141225

My flowers look so nice right now, thank God, since in a few weeks they will most likely fight to survive the desert heat. If I am lucky and we have a fall( which often we don't ) then I will have a pretty garden once again in the late summer through fall.

I got slug bait this time. I did not put it out yet but got it today along with squirrel killer and animal repellant. The darn ground squirrels got into my house and are living under it and in between my subfloor and what ever is under there. They chew under my tub. I hear them scratching. My house will smell like death again. Good grief. So much for having a party out in my pretty garden next week.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9141245

That happened to me Dawn. I used DeCon which is a stuff like cement and they have to have water and then that mixes with it and turns to solid cement. Only mine were rats. This was in Seattle. So, like you said, pretty soon you had the smell. The DeCon made them so thirsty they were licking the condensation off of the bathtub.

I had to take out the tub and the wall by the tub about 2 feet up. They had gone over the firewall inside the wall, and couldn't get out. There were 7 of them total. But, I sure had a mess to clean up.

Never again will I use DeCon. There has got to be another way. The pest control people use something different I would think. Exterminators. Couldn't think of their name up there.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #9141252

I can't believe I lost my whole post.

I said that happened to me Dawn. In Seattle. I had rats and I put out DeCon for them and that is a poison like cement. It makes them thirsty and they have to have water. When they drink water the stuff turns hard in their innards like cement. I heard them under my tub, they were getting the water off of the condensation of the bathtub.

Pretty soon they were really smelling bad. I had to take the tub out and then the wall about 2 feet up. They had crawled up over the firewall inside the wall and couldn't get out. I really had a mess. A lot of work cleaning it up.

There has to be something better than DeCon. I am sure the exterminators use something else. You might do some research with google and find something. Might be rats and not squirrels.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2012

Post #9141254

Good luck. Jen
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 28, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9141785

Dawn, I bet there is a way to get them to move out and go to another area. You just need to know what will attract them and then invite them to a picnic. Use Google. They will have ideas.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9142614

LOL I wish, too late we busted out the poison already it will be a matter of time. It makes me sad too. We went to our new house, Not really, but the one we want and want to offer another bid on it. Hope you all had a good day. My roses are so pretty right now and my hollyhocks are blooming too so the two look pretty together among other things.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9142927

Morning everyone, Just stopped in to see if you all survived the Memorial Day festivities and it looks like rats are the topic so I will be on my way. I had my share of rats but the exterminator put little blue blocks down the holes and the rats pushed the blocks back up and that went on until we began smelling these odors of death here and there so we figured they decided to eat those blocks instead of thowing them out of their holes. I have a feeling no matter what kind of poison you use, it all has the same affect. They search for water and die. And smell.
We had a lovely weekend of heat , food and work. All in all it was fine and everyone survived. They are all back to work and we had some fun.
I have shipping to do today and it is really too hot to do it, but the willow are tough and they will make it out of NJ and hopefully into cooler weather on their trip to their new home. Will return later with some pictures. JB
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9143207

Dawn, do you have any pictures of the one you are bidding on? Would love to see it. Jen
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9144028

Jnette, I think the begonia I have is a tuberous begonia. It definitely is not a Rex.
I don't have a pic right now.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9144176

Ok, no problem.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9144268

I do have a few but not many. We want to change the color. the view is the part we most love and if you lived in the desert, you would appreciate it so much more, everything dead and brown especially in the summer. Where you live it is beautiful. All of you guys. Let me find the pictures to post. We put in a second offer today. Who knows. It may not fly but we will try once more if it does not.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
12:50 AM

Post #9144322

I can empathize about the rodents because in an urban environment we had a "situation" last year. The year before a couple showed up at the back of the yard to feed at my bird feeders and we thought it was cute. HA!

Turns out my bird feeding attracted them. Last year it was really bad. But they were not in the house. I had to stop feeding birds altogether. I did a lot of research online and almost everyone said do not use poison for the reasons you all mention - they say use snap traps. Since I can't kill a fly . . ...

I realize this is the propagation thread but let me just say that Court had an epiphany a couple of weeks ago - heard his father telling him that the wood pile looked "mighty snake-y." So we (!!!) put out a call for some snakes, and yesterday just before dusk a lady friend who does critter removal, among other things, brought us 2 black snakes to release in our wood pile.

This morning when I came out in the garden, 2 squirrels were up in the pecan tree screaming and the catbird that nests in our giant Camellia was screaming too. I couldn't see any activity, but I had an awful feeling about those black snakes.

On the upside - there won't be any smell in the house. :/

A.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9144449

Jnette,
Correction. It is a cane begonia and not tuberous.
You probably already figured that out.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9144806

LOL, Amanda are you sure Court's father meant snaky that way? When they say that here, it means that the woodpile wasn't stacked very straight and looked like a snake.

My daughter had to quit feeding the birds for the same reason. She was getting a lot of rats. Yes, the feeding stations get them all. I used to watch the mice out here at night eating from the bird feeder but then the dogs used to get the mice/voles. Now we have cats that do the same thing. And Candy digs up tree stumps. She doesn't mess with the little things.

Peg, I used to have a cane begonia in a coal scuttle. It stood about 4 feet tall. When it got any taller I would break it off and stick it in the pot and it would just keep growing. They are very easy to grow. I love them because they are hardy.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9144915

Jen - maybe it means something different here?

They are from VA beach. Court's daddy has been dead for about 10 years, so he "spoke" to him like it was a burning bush or something. Dunno - will let you know how it works out. :P

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9144961

I knew what you meant Amanda, but then we think alike. Jen has been West of the Mississippi too long to think straight.
I must say, I prefer rats to snakes. If someone would bring me two black snakes I would shoot the snakes first and then shoot the person who brought them. No way do I like snakes. No way.
The cuttings of the Waigela are looking very sickly. I should know better than to try something new that I had never even researched enough. Crap.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9145002

We used to have a bird feeder. It attracted a lot of the wild turkeys and then they scratched up the garden beds when they came to visit. They probably ate some things too, but I am not sure about that. Needless to say, we don't have bird feeders out anymore. I have not seen any rats but there are ground and tree squirrels, gophers, moles and/or voles. Too many things to invade...only a few snakes around and we only kill them if they are extremely close to the property as to be a danger to any of us, otherwise, we leave them alone, and they leave us alone. In the over 22 years I have lived here on this property, I have never had a snake attack me.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2012

Post #9145565

LOL, sounds like those Mock Orange starts I sent you JB!! Now you can quit your bitchin' about them.

I had a little garter snake in my flower pots the other day when I went looking for the right size pot. Those little buggers are just fine in my garden.

No, we don't have those bad snakes out here. Maybe that is why we figured the wood pile was stacked crooked. Haven't seen a rat around much either lately, however, I doubt this little girl Candy would go after one. Probably run from it. LOL. Bob would not like me saying that.

We are going to take Spooky in to the vet for the same shots that Tiber got tomorrow. That is, if we can catch her. She is just that. Spooky. $89 for Tiger!! Can you believe that?? Yeah, I'm sure you can. These animals are getting so expensive. Wherever she was for those 2 weeks, she picked something up. A virus. Gave it to Tiger and so we decided best to get her done too. Another $89!!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9146362

Jen, I did not get any mock orange, sorry. I do not know what you are talking about. Wrong person, kiddo. JB
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9146740

Amanda, would you please straighten that woman out!!! Or do you want to take the chance?
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9146867

I like Mock orange it is so pretty and I love the blossoms smell.
I really wish I could have a real orange, love them but they frreeze here. So far poison must be working, two days with no crunching in the mornings.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9146881

It was me!!! I was the one that killed Jen's mock orange cuttings.

sorry.

A.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9146917

Bad Manda. Bad! lol

Ok you asked for pictures. Keep in mind things were still dormant and it is a repo, so...here is the house. I want you to see the view. Compared to desert it's great.

Thumbnail by hellnzn11   Thumbnail by hellnzn11   Thumbnail by hellnzn11   Thumbnail by hellnzn11   Thumbnail by hellnzn11

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9146944

This is a view from al sides of the property. We are waiting to get approved, or not for the second time. We may offer one more small incriment up and then we are out, but we really like it, despite some imperfections. It is close to our dream within close to our budget. We could pay what they are asking but can't justify it in this market.
The blessing is that the original owners were big gardeners so a lot of the raw work has been done, laying out beds and terracing beds, a long side yard series of raised planters with a little waterfall built in, a huge Wisteria that did bloom and some arbors with roses that are hanging in there, some roses, in from, fruit trees in back, some nice flowering Almond or something with black bark that does not have fruit or nuts we've been told. Nice deck. Bears, deer etc. A unused park accross the street that just has hills and cattle grazing, empty lots in back of us and mountain views with cabins. Part of the back of the property you can see a corner of this lake, if I recalled from a past trip. The neighbors are nice on the one side and the old guy mows all the weeds in the neighborhood so snakes and brush fires do no damage. Trash is paid and snow plowed in the area for $450 a year, water is about 50$ for 2 months under a generous amount and 75 for the next increment. Our payment will be under 500 with what we put down incld/tax/princ/interest/insurance.

Needs some tlc and new paint and flooring because apparently dogs lived there for 3 months alone. Hate the color but all things in time. I'd like to maybe put stone on the front since it is the garage and paint the house and deck. Greg wants the deck natural and sealed. I am not sure if I would not prefer a nice complimentary color to the home. It has two wood stoves and one you can cook on if times get hard in the future or a disaster which puts power out.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2012
11:27 PM

Post #9147174

Amanda, remember, I sent you and JB both one of those crappy little cuttings. Not just you!!

Ok Dawn, it is beautiful. Now would this be a retirement home? It appears that it is in a development of some kind. Is it close enough now that your husband and you can go to work from there? I didn't think you were old enough to retire??

So, you would have to buy with a contingent that you sell the home you are in, or would you keep both?

Just some questions I have. Very nice. Jen

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

June 2, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9149580

Dawn... nice photos... thanks for sharing...

Is this property in Rosamond? What are the summer temps there?

Nancy
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 2, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9149798

Blank canvas. i do not want to do that again. Looks very nice Dawn. Sharon
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9149833

Well, the answer is that we both work a little further than where we live now away from home. We can't retire yet, he is 53 and I am 49 but it would be a vacation getaway 1/2 hr away from where we are now but mostly for an investment.

We don't want a blank canvas again but it is not full time and if I want to drag all my plants and rent this out one day, I sure would be able to live with the sacrafice.

I have a lot in pots now and my roses can be dug up and cut back in the Winter and moved if I want to. There is so much beauty around that the pressure to do all that asap, is lessened for me. I have many years left till retirement so there is time to do it. We wanted a move in ready home but this is a higher priced area. Normally we can't afford crap in this area.

Thanks for the compliments. We are not rich nor will we be rich but that is ok, we would be blessed to have the home and afford the other one too. We are greatful for all we have and if we can't do it, we will be fine then too.

Nancy it is in Tehachapi, in the mountains between Rosamond and Bakersfield and Lake Isabella.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2012 8:38 PM

This message was edited Jun 2, 2012 8:40 PM
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9149838

Sorry, off topic, I do not have the other thread watched anymore, I think I undwatched it ages ago.

On topic, I have found that Cl. improved Blaze roses are easy to propagate. Easier than most. I got my Peggy Martin rose baby and it is doing great. With some patience I will have a cool bomb/flood, draught proof winner one day.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 2, 2012
10:07 PM

Post #9149852

Dawn, you should come back to the old thread. Very calm now. Everyone is taking their meds.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9149866

LOL, don't be a smartass Sharon. Is that why you haven't been on there Dawn? LOL, aw come on we aren't that bad.

Dawn, just be careful you don't get in over your heads. You are smart enough to figure that out. Even if you love it, it isn't worth that. There will always be another.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9150021

Sometimes I think we should all come back to one thread. This hoping around makes my head ache. So we get off topic too often I know, but how did we manage before?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9150378

I think it is appropriate to have a separate propagation thread.

I admit and agreed that when I came here initially and had a "propagation question" I was intimidated because of the "chatter" about who was taking their meds and who was not.

I for one am taking my meds.

I found a VERY old fashioned pink rose in the backyard of a vacant house in the neighborhood. I am going to take some cuttings and see if I can get something started.

Do you remember that miniature white rose I dug up several weeks ago? I dug down at least 20". The rose in the ground is putting up new growth AND

ONE of my cuttings rooted so I will have a tiny white rose to give to a nice lady friend here. I have never tried to root roses, so I was thrilled with this. I tried at least 6, and this one stayed green the longest with foliage turning brown. It occurred to me to put the pot in a plastic bag and that made the difference. Tiny leaves came out and still coming. I may be on to some NEW fantastic hobby. :)

If only I had room for a rose garden. There's always the front lawn . . ..

A.

p.s. Good thing I dug up the rose when I did - I saw again this week that the people living in this house have TOTALLY decimated the front of the house, shrubs all cut down to nothing, every green thing removed, a beautiful wooden arbor/arch that had jasmine on it is completely bare. The second tiny rose that was next to this one is completely gone and now covered with a heavy layer of mulch. I think the rose may rise again - I will make a point to get up close when I walk the dog and kick the mulch away from the curb where the rose was last seen. There may be more digging in my future.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9151096

Amanda ~ Did you root your rose cutting in water, or did you put in soil with rooting hormone?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9151104

All I had was seed starting mix, but I used growth tips and dipped the stem of each in rooting hormone. I watered well once and let it drain thru and then no more water until tending towards the dry side. I have a lot to learn.

Most of what I have read about starting roses says to do this in the fall, so I was surprised to root this one.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9151105

Amanda, you know when I said I think I cooked all the seeds I was trying to start? Well, I decided the thermostat was bad on my heat mat. So, I went on line and found another one, $30. Well, I have been expecting it and the tracking for UPS said it went to a town that actually has my physical address, but not my mailing address. So, that post office sent it to my mailing address, and the tracking shows it delivered.

Thursday Bob got a card in the mail box for a package. Friday he went in and asked the part time person for the pkg. She couldn't find it. So, Saturday he went back and asked her for it. She said she couldn't find it. He told her to go look again. She said she did and it wasn't there.

Ok, now tomorrow, he is going in and hopefully the post mistress will be there and he is going to tell her that if I don't get my package, it is going to cost her $30. He and this gal are pretty good friends. She gives him some of her home made sausage etc. But he is so mad at the part-timer that he wants her to fire that person.

We'll see what happens. One of them gave my pkg to someone else and it was not returned.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2012

Post #9151106

Amanda we crossposted. Have you guys ever read Seedpicker's thread on starting roses? She is pretty good. Jen

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
10:00 PM

Post #9151112

Stinks about your package - have you contacted the seller yet? Better go at it from both ends. You'll be lucky if you get relief from either end.

Not read the rose-starting threads. Will get over there one day when I am ready to go at that hobby for real. I think I'd better get cuttings from the old fashioned pink rose I found the other day. It's an open/flat bloom with only a handful of petals and it is climbing over a dogwood or something to get to the sun - so I suppose it is a climber. The main stem is pretty far back into this thicket, so I won't be attempting to dig it out.

Keep you posted on the plant rescues.

Did I mentioned pulling up some helenium today in a horse pasture? It has what looks like a tap root, so they have come back pretty strong. I'm glad when plants make it easy for you to take some along. It does help to have water on hand and something to wrap the roots in, I must say.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9153986

I don't even remember where the chat thread is, what is the link to it? No that is not why I don't go there, it took me a long time to realize I must have not watched a new thread and lost it a while back and never bothered to ask for the link or location of the thread, just talked here.

We did not get the house, somebody else's offer was higher I guess. Sadly I saw us there and loved the neighbor and the street and the area and even the little home with all it's light and planter areas, established plants. It was not meant to be but I still have tears in my eyes. Maybe they will fall out and we will get it cheaper. Oh well.

Next!

My heat waves have hit and plants are looking shotty all of a sudden, but not totally.

Good score on the rose and the timing Amanda

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #9154108

Hey there - so sorry about the house - it happened to me a pile of years ago and we were devastated. xox

Here is a link to the "chat" thread. Hope to see you there.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1259691/

A.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9154156

So sorry Dawn, but like Amanda says, it wasn't meant to be. You will find another and love it.

I was shocked to get an email from a friend who, she and her husband had bought a condo from his mother. They really loved the condo. Then in her email she told me they had bought a house in a gated community for over 55s! She included pictures and the house and yard were beautiful. But, he is 2 years away from retirement, and they do go on a lot of cruises. She said the condo was just a lot of elderly people. They wanted to be around active adults. Her term. So, anyway, they are in the process of moving. She said she sold their condo in one day for cash!!! That was amazing. She said they had to be out by the 28th of this month.

Wow, they really did things in a fast way. Some people can do that. Others like myself, have to stop and think, and rethink everything.

ttyl, jen

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9155249

Sharon - will the Sunset Hibiscus flower the first year from seed?
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 6, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9155301

Yes, they should. I am just heading to bed. Have a great day tomorrow. Good luck on the job, if you want it. I was such a work horse and now I do not think I could do it. Sharon

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

June 7, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9155949

Sorry about the house Dawn... once I went back and looked at the photos Tehachapi made perfect sense! I agree... you and hubby will find another... -:)

You'll have to forgive my ignorance... but what are 'growth tips'? I don't think I have ever seen them (or heard of them) until just recently.

I pinched a penstemon - or as Sharon says... I did some 'dead-heading'...-:) when I was up in Sonoma... a lovely burgundy flower with an inner white throat... very pretty and dramatic...I dipped it in rooting hormone and popped it into some vermiculite - not sure if it will survive... anyone have experience with propagating penstemons?

Nancy
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 7, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9156419

I did some dead heading last year of some Rudbeckia flowers and after they dried I flung them about the front area by the driveway. I have two large bunches just starting to flower. I deadheaded another one today at Trader Jo. I only deadhead when the flower is wilted and spent. But of course my little hand held torch helps with the wilting. I deadhead at the big box stores or very large nurseries. They do not care.

Nancy will get a visit soon from the FBI. Flower terrorist. LOL.. Sharon

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9156473

Most people don't know how to start plants from cuttings, one day they'll catch on at those big box stores - actually, one of my contacts at a big box store caught a woman taking cuttings of all the shrubs - gardenias in particular - he chased her out.

Nancy - a growth tip is usually the terminal stem (the tip!) of new growth from a plant - when taking cuttings to root it's usually recommended to take new growth as that may ensure greater success. Also remember when putting your cuttings into soil or hormone or water to cut just below a node (i.e. include the node when trying to root). I keep trying to learn more - I often don't have supplies on hand for these things, but the hormone powder is always around.

Not doing much propagating right now. I'm trying to cope with all the seedlings I started this spring.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 7, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9156500

I do not take cutting. Just seed pods. That would take a lot of nerve to take a cutting.

Lowe's take broken bags of potting mix and marks them down. They caught a customer cutting bags.

Later, Sharon
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2012
10:10 PM

Post #9156583

Can't believe the nerve of people. Don't they realize that is the same as stealing? They should have called the police. 'course they wouldn't have done anything anyway.

Sharon, I want to direct sow some annuals out in my perennials. But, with all this rain the weeds are way ahead. How do I toss out some Calandulas, Marygolds etc. without digging them up with the weeds? We have another week of this wet stuff. Even my deck planters I am planting are waterlogged. I planted some tomatoes today in my Earthbox on the deck and they probably will just start swimming.

I am kind of sorry now that I put the cover on the hoophouse. I think my garlic especially would do well in this rain.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 15, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9167117

This is a delonix seedlings. I received 5 seeds from a young man in Tucson, Arizona. I have had the seeds for about 8 months. I just planted them about a week ago. I was also told to plant them with the long side of the seed to be in the upright position. IE, the seed was longer than wider.

I was delighted when I went out yesterday and two seeds had germinated.

Photo one was yesterday. Photo 2 is today. It is another plant that will have to spend the winter in the garage.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9167166

Sharon, you didn't answer my question. Jen
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 16, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9168172

I did answer it somewhere or I am really losing it.

I said I have no idea because I do not get weeds. I do have one weed, but I normally look for it everyday. I do not want it to get out of control. I cannot remember the name of the weed. I will post a photo tomorrow if I can find any. I did dig up a couple tiny ones today. And I use a very large amount of mulch. I also said I do not get many weeds because we get very little rain.

This is the photo of my Delonix today. I was told today it needs to be in a smaller pot. No problem during the summer but will need to be in the garage in the winter and a large pot is difficult to keep watered correctly. This pot will never be moved unless there are 3 guys to do so. It is concrete and was on close out when they closed Target's garden center. I got the large and medium size.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2012
11:05 PM

Post #9168306

Sort of a propagation issue - speaking of moving pots around:

I have had a shrub rose in a heavy glazed pot. I am thinking back and it must be 10 years if it's been a day.

I noticed recently a nice new growth spurt and even more recently, water began to back up in the container. I imagined that the roots must have gone thru the drainage hole, and I was right. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough for about 1/3 of the plant to suffer wilt since I picked it up and moved it.

I've been meaning to put her in the ground. I waited a couple of days to see if those shoots would perk up, but no. I guess I need to cut back the growth that's been affected.

AND I'm going to have to smash that pretty blue glazed pot to bits to get her out of there. Woe.

Does anyone keep roses?

Should I do anything else? trim roots? The pot could be 20".

Thanks.

A.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9168828

Sorry Mandy, I do not do roses. We have several outside but that is not my department. I hate to break old containers like that. WAAAAAH. JB
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9168858

Amanda ~ This could be the new opportunity for a new art project. Collect all the pot shards and then either cast them into concrete, or maybe make a new pot out of it. Also it could be made into tiles...there are SO many possibilities...

It spoke to me when you said heavy glazed...then some recycling ideas came to mind. :-)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9168879

Thanks Ev - I like the notion but hate to have stuff like that hanging around till I'm ready to "do" something with it. The pot is at least an inch thick.

I guess I'll do that later today or tomorrow. Do we have a chisel?!

Dunno. It is a beautiful blue color.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2012

Post #9168923

Get a hori hori knife and cut the rose out and save the pot. jen
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2012
10:24 PM

Post #9169521

Amanda roses are pretty forgiving, you need to b1 it for a few days and put in a shadier spot for about 2 or 3 weeks, if it looks wilty after you ripped it's little feet out of the ground. This lady just sent me a rose sucker that she dug up, it was warm when she sent it and it completely lost all leaves, but I put news paper in the pot and on top of it and kept it under a shady tree while it recovered. It just bloomed and is leafed out now. Get it out of the sun for now. Fertilize it too with a nice time released fertilizer and add a little epsome salts. It should look good. Mine had no leaves, but did when I got it. I cut it back too, so it did not have to work so hard to recover.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2012
12:24 AM

Post #9169554

Thanks -yeah she's in a shady spot. I am going to prune the wilted stuff. Amazing what a couple of roots have done to this sweet rose. At least 1/3 of the canes have been impacted. I will cut those back. She's been a reliable blooer for years in that pot. And she deserves to be in the ground. Jen I am NOT going to hurt her further. :P

The spot she will go into is in FS naturally, but as with my seedlings if necessary, I will erect some kind of protective structure with a sheet over it or something to make her transition easier.

Keep you posted,
A.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 18, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9170973

Jen, here are two photos of the weeds I get. I have crushed granite covering the side yards and portions of the back that are not in flower bed or dichondra. In the flower bed you can see how black the mulch is and that stops weed seeds from germinating.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 18, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9170980

This is today's photo of delonix today. I included it's little sister in the background.

I organized some seeds today and I am going to plant them tomorrow. Sharon

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9171080

Sharon, how much of the crushed granite do you put on? How deep? Is it the black stuff? You and Dave both talk about using it. I have never heard of it up here except from you guys. But Dave was using it as a walkway type of thing I think.

That Delonex is going to be a tree. You said you have to take it in the winter. How big will it get in a pot?

Well, Bob went to bed. Guess I will read for a bit and then do the same. ttyl,
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 19, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9172233

Wow, where has everyone gone.

Jen, the decomposed granite comes in different colors. Mine is a salmon southwestern color. My mulch is black. The granite is probably close to 10" deep and the mulch is about 6 to 8" deep. I use the mulch to protect the roots of the plants from the direct sun and to maintain moisture. They use crushed granite in the southwest. In your area they probably use pea gravel. You can actually get it in a rusty red. It is used to control weeds and hold down dust.

This is today's photo of delonex. The young man that sent me the seed lives in Tucson and he and I are going to try and keep it pot size. If it gets to big I will have to make it it's own greenhouse. But that will probably take many years.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9172292

I'm here dearie.

No propagation today I'm afraid. I am wondering about a Rudbeckia that is a very lovely color - mostly brown with some yellow showing thru under the rays. It is in a sea of Rudbeckia I have growing, and is a natural variation. I am growing some R. 'Cherry Brandy' from seed also on the other side of the sea of Rudbeckia. I was disappointed in one plant last year - looked more brown than cherry, but this year I see that the flowers start brownish and then deepen into the most beautiful color.

in any event, I suppose I would try to root some cuttings of this R. hirta that is brown with some yellow showing thru the ends of the rays. Does anyone have experience in trying to root cuttings of rudbeckia? I do believe it is R. hirta.

Thanks.
A.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 19, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9172307

Amanda, this was posted on another thread in propagation. Some one was asking has to get cuttings of zinnia to root. I have only used deadheaded seeds.

"The cuttings are soft and the foliage flops so quickly."

Conventional cutting methods with zinnias fail in the same way, because the zinnia stem and leaf tissues are very vulnerable to bacterial rot, and they lose water through evaporation from their leaves and collapse long before they have had time to strike roots.

I use diluted Physan 20 to sterilize my cuttings and the water that they are supplied with. I use a good rooting hormone like Dip 'n Gro, which has two different rooting hormones. And I keep my cuttings under fluorescent lights under a humidity dome for up to 10 days to give them time to strike some roots. The Physan 20, rooting hormone, fluorescent lights, and humidity dome are the prerequisites for success with zinnias from cuttings. They might help with your problem cuttings.

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

June 19, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9172312

Hi guys!

Sorry I've been on the road the last two weekends... haven't been online much... playing 'catch-up' at home now...anyway... the penstemon didn't survive... not sure why... (:-
Fortunately the plant FBI hasn't caught up with me yet... -:)

Thanks for the explanation Amanda... that makes perfect sense... I too am learning so much.

One thing I could say about the rose ... when transplanting to the ground... the best advice is to dig a big, big hole... at least twice the size of the roots. I got this advice from a rose grower once and it really made a difference... compost in the bottom of the hole if you have it and keep it moist for the first few days until the roots settle in. I sure hope it survives.

Linda sent me some pink caprice lantana last summer and I actually succeeded in keeping it alive... it's blooming today and so very lovely...

I have very good luck propagating snapdragons for some reason... I pinched one at the hotel we stayed at... it was on the side of the hotel where no one could see it so I didn't think they would mind... a very pretty gold/orange color and I hope to plant it next to the orange wallflower if it survives. Actually Amanda, I instinctively pinched correctly following your advice, although I didn't really think about why at the time... I think the colors would look so nice together... hopefully once I get it rooted... I can get it into a shadier spot next to the wallflower because it's getting HOT!!

Did your family come and go already Jeanette?

Goodnight everyone... I'll try to catch up on the other thread in the morning. Nancy
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9172357

Amanda, on the Rudbeckia, if it is a lot of them, they will mix up the colors because of the pollination. I am sure because I have gotten colors I never planted.

Nancy and Sharon, you guys are weird. I have never heard of taking cuttings of annuals before. Snapdragons, zinnias, etc. Tell me, do they continue growing etc. through out the year? Never heard of it.

Yes Nancy, they were here a short time but it rained all the time they were here and that is really miserable 'cause we really don't have any places to go except outdoors kind of activity. I have told them the last 3 years now to make it a different time.

My SIL has to put in for his vacations at the beginning of the year. He tries to gear them around golf tournaments etc. too. Think that is why this area get s the short straw for this time of year. LOL, he will learn. He does not fish in the rain.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9172731

thanks for the info on the zinnias Sharon. Like roses which are susceptible to everything, I am surprised at how they thrive in humid conditions. I have never tried to root a zinnia cutting. But that info probably applicable to Rudbeckia too. Though the Rudbeckia is a perennial. I'm not sure if it's R. hirta now that I think of it. I grew it from seed the first season. It's awesome.

Jen - of course you propagate an annual the same as any other plant. To clone a trait or characteristic that you prefer. The natural variations in the plants are how we get the stunning hybrids and cultivars. When you take a cutting you get a clone - I know you are not stupid, and know this already. So I can clone the brown one if I want to to have more, and that is why I inquired. :P

Nancy - I tried to root snaps last year, but failed. They looked just like my daisies Leucanthemum x when I was pruning them so I tried and hoped they would be as easy. Since I have been hanging on this thread I have learned to try more than one way to root things. Pinch a few and put some in water, some in hormones, etc. I hope you get that pretty to root.

Speaking of success - and quite by accident - I started blue shrimp plants from seed I received in trade. I was thrilled with the glaucose blue/green foliage. I planted a bunch of seeds in one 4" container. When I transplanted them I guess I planted too deep, and/or the soil was too heavy. In any event, all of them crashed. I tried an emergency transplant of the transplants, and all crashed some more. As they were passing, poor dears, I cut the tops off and inserted them into a seed starting medium with no water, no hormone, no nothing. I spritzed the soil only a little every couple of days. they crashed. Except for one.

I now have a single, very healthy and about 5" tall blue shrimp plant (Cerinthe major), and I will do NOTHING with it until the roots are busting out of that 2" square pot.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/216/

Have a great day. Good luck rooting those annuals!!!

A.

p.s. I bring many many many "annual" plants inside to overwinter as houseplants. Prime example - pelargoniums, alternanthera, ageratum, impatiens, begonias, coleus, blah blah blah. It's all trial and error. My coleus from last year wintered beautifully in my bedroom east facing window in a fast draining soil-less mix. They are back outside in the same pots they came into the house in in November.

p.p.s. Thanks Nancy on the thoughts on the rose. She will go in the ground this week. The tiny rose I dug up from the neighbor's yard a couple of months ago has flowered already and is flush with new foliage. I have never had to break one out of a pot, and I worry, of course. ;)

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

June 22, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9176072

Hi Jeanette... my snaps grow most of the year... but when our climate warms up too much they stop flowering. I think they are actually perennials here... at least some of mine seem to come back for 2-3 years before they finally exhaust themselves. I've never tried the zinnias... they sprout so easily from seed here... Speaking of that... I have tons of them flowering right now... so cheerful! Sorry about your rainy family vacation... I know you still enjoyed having your family there!! -:)

Amanda... I had a gorgeous cerinthe major in a pot... it was doing fantastic and suddenly it began to turn brown... I thought it was too moist... but the soil felt just right... not dry, not wet... I eventually lost it and don't know why... I grew it in sun, but with shade from an overhanging tree during our hotter daylight hours...so I think the light was ok...I have let it die back... hoping to harvest some seeds. I planted this one as a plant... have never tried growing them from seeds. I hope I can manage to sprout some! I think your method of varying methods is a good one... just like everything else in life... sometimes slight changes bring results you don't expect... I will hold onto that thought!

I went out to my garden today and found out some critter has been munching on my tomatoes... it just breaks my heart... my husband looks forward to my tomatoes and has been asking about them, he will be so disappointed. This is the first year I have had this happen before they are even close to ripe. I noticed one plant with 6 wonderful large tomatoes on it... about 2 days ago... today 4 of them had been chewed to bits... it's too late in the season to really get another good crop because the heat is really kicking in and most of my blossoms will fall off now... I was just devastated. Really took the wind out of my sails. I think next year I will have to put them in the front where the cats can guard them. I don't have as much room, but what else can I do... they just don't do well in pots. I did notice that the dogs were barking about 3am the last couple of nights... I went out one night, but didn't see anything...

Oh well...

On the bright side... my delphiniums and verbascums put out new flowers... both gorgeous! And I also have more of the lantanas that Linda sent blooming... the first batch was pink and yellow and the other plant is solid yellow... really pretty!!

Does it get cold where you are in winter Amanda? I live in a climate where not much suffers in winter... although we do get some low temps, it's not enough to freeze anything...my challenge is keeping everything from drying out in summer. Planting everyone in a place where they can withstand the heat with a minimum of water and then making sure I do water when they really need it. As some of my trees mature that helps with shading. Tonight I will go out and deadhead all my roses so I get another bloom. We just had a spectacular bloom on all the roses, but now they are all spent...This year is the first year I have had really big blooms on my jacarandas... they are so pretty and getting tall enough to provide shade for the lawn and the folks walking in the evening to escape the heat! Well ... have a great day everyone... gotta get back to work! Nancy

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9176279

Nancy your flowers sound so pretty. I don't know what jacarandas are and looked in the plant files but got no results which is strange for that file. Sounds big enough to be a tree. Also, I saw a picture of a gorgeous verbascum earlier in the year that I almost ordered. One of those things that you forget where you saw them so couldn't find them to order. Do you ever do that? It was snow white. All filled out and just gorgeous.

So sad about your tomatoes. I sure do know how that goes. One year we did that in Seattle where we waited and watched the first tomato. Finally, we decided it was the right time so we picked it and were sitting out in the yard having a beer, with the tomato on a small table between us, all of a sudden I looked down and the tomato was gone. Sugar, our Golden Retriever, was sitting there, behind the table, looking so pleased. Smiling. She really enjoyed that tomato. We thought she must have been watching it to get ripe herself. She did the same thing with the raspberries and any other fruit I grew. I even had an electric fence around the raspberries, but she would slide her head under the wire.

I'll bet raccoons got your tomatoes. But, they normally will pick them, not eat them on the plant. They look for water to wash their food. If you don't have deer, then I don't know what would do it.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 22, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9176617

Nancy, I had the same problem last year. They ate all the ripe and then started eating the green tomatoes. Rats. And I know it was rats because I saw them with my own eyes.

They frightened me so much, that later that evening was when I had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital. I am not afraid of rats but they were running all over the place, about 6 of them and one dropped from the jasmine over the tresses above the gate to the tomato garden. My heart started pounding big time but did settle down. Then about 3 hours later i could no breathe.

I still had tomatoes on the vine but I had the landscapers pull them out of the garden because I could and still can see the rats running up and down the stalks of the tomatoes. This years tomatoes are just starting to ripen. With the new cat Izzy, I have seen no damage from any animal.

This is today's (day five) photo of my delonix. Ruler is beside it but you cannot see the numbers. It is 3 1/2 inches tall. So is the other one.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 22, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9176620

I forgot to attach photo.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012

Post #9196085

I'm kinda new in this forum but have been busy doing cutting propagation. Over the past 3 weeks I've completed about 100 large flats of propagation and it's going pretty well. Today I was doing Daphne and although I know I'm supposed to take off the blooms, I left a few on as they looked so nice. I looked down at my flat mid-day and it kinda looked like miniature farming. Planting my mini-fields with hummingbirds whizzing by through the greenhouse. It's been rather Zen for me.

I've done propagation for another backyard nursery for years in the past but his operation was much smaller. What I noticed to happen at both specialty nurseries is that they will run up to you with a plant in a panic. I guess propagation is vital to a nursery. Unfortunately I've done it voluntarily at both places. At the current nursery they were using cinnamon. I looked it up and it is used as a fungicide so I mixed cinnamon with #1 rooting hormone powder and it seems to be working well. I have already noticed good strike on many cuttings that on earlier flats didn't fare too well. What I really found useful and sped up my production were 1"x2" sticks with nails hammered into them at equal distances. I fill my tray, press it well and then take the stick and gently insert the nails firmly pressing it. I take it out and I have nicely spaced holes in lines. Prep'ing the cuttings is mostly fast but this method made the whole thing speed up significantly.

Hopefully I can get another 100 flats done before the end of summer and get some good production in for this year.

Cheers!

Thumbnail by growin   Thumbnail by growin

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2012
11:03 PM

Post #9196091

WOW!! Do you have a nursery? If not, what are you going to do with all of those plants???

They look great. Not too sure what you do with the 1 x 2" sticks tho. Don't know what you mean.

Good luck with all those plants tho, no matter what you do with them. They are beautiful.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012
11:23 PM

Post #9196094

Hey Jnette,

I wish I had a nursery. The plants cuttings hopefully root, they go into 4" pots for winter in the greenhouse and are potted up to 1 gallon pots in spring for sale next year. There's normally a percentage of cuttings that don't take but it's kind of a guess. If you over-produce, you can always throw out the weak ones. These are heated tables on auto-misting.

Ya, it's kinda hard to describe those sticks but they work so well. Let's say that flat in my first image is 14" wide, so I grab the 14" wide stick with nails already hammered through it every inch. I take the stick horizontally with the nails pointing into the soil and gently press the nails into the flat. I gently lift the stick that is horizontal straight up while wiggling it to keep the holes clean and, "voila!" A set of holes spaced out at 1" from each other for the entire width of the flat. I used a broken pencil in the Daphne flat though and they weren't straight lines but the cuttings were so small.

Thumbnail by growin

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2012
11:36 PM

Post #9196098

Ok, now I understand. Where do you sell them? Is this a hobby for you? A second job? Or, just a fun way to make extra money? Whatever it is, it looks like you are doing a great job of it.

Good luck, and don't work too hard.

Jeanette

Oh, BTW, how do you keep them from freezing in the winter? Or, does it not freeze there? Probably not, you are pretty close to the water aren't you? A lot like Seattle.

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

July 7, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9196595

growin... thanks for sharing the photos!

What ratio of cinnamon/rooting hormone do you use? I'd love to give that a try...and btw... that nail trick is slick! Great idea! What are you currently propagating aside from the daphne? Is it necessary to have the heating trays all year? Or just during your colder season? What kind of potting soil do you use?

I read the UBER pop-up - 700 entries WOWSERS!! -:) That's fantastic... welcome to the forum. It's been quiet here lately as we all head into summer... but we're pleased to have you join! I myself am a complete novice and soak up everything I learn here - there are others however who are very knowledgeable...-:)

I appreciate all you've shared! Nancy
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9197093

Hi Growin,

Nancy is obviously more observant than I am when she read what you wrote. Altho, it was pretty late when we were chatting last night so I am claiming I was tired. :0) But, I am curious too about the things she asked. The potting soil etc. I missed what you said about putting them in the greenhouse. But the heated beds are great as almost all plants like their feet warm . When I start seeds I always try to get them on the heating mat until they come up anyway, even when I am starting them in the house because the nighttime temps drop below what they like.

So the cinnamon is strictly a fungicide. What is the #1 rooting hormone? Also what is the pop-up - 700 entries you are talking about Nancy?

No, we aren't all real knowledgeable like Nancy says, guess she said some. LOL We are all learning.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 7, 2012
9:30 PM

Post #9197329

Jen, put your cursor over UBER under his name. It will pop up a narrative about his contributions to DG and plant files. This guy likes to be busy.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9197343

LOL, you're right. Jen
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 7, 2012
10:00 PM

Post #9197351

I learned something also. I did not know what she was talking about but my brain kicked in and I figured it out. LOL. Sharon

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2012
12:36 AM

Post #9197406

Hi Jeanette, Nancy, WormsLovSharon & all,

I've included a pic of the sticks that I was using today on cuttings of Nothofagus antarctica. They line up the cuttings so nicely and I found I was breaking some trying to force them into the soil without the sticks. I'm sure it'd work well with seed too. You can see one stick pressed into the soil, one row of cuttings, a row of holes and what the stick looks like.

Nancy, I wasn't sure what mix of cinnamon & #1 to use so I use, I guess, 1 part cinnamon to 2 parts #1 Stimroot. It's only a guess. The mix gets kinda muddy with the wet cuttings though. The heating cables run along the tables in wet sand which heats the bottom of the trays somewhat and helps with rooting the cuttings. I remember coming across to reference in the past of using the heated tables for hardwood cuttings and it gets them rooting nicely. The automatic mister is a mesh metal piece on a lever which lifts when the moisture evaporates and sets on the misting. The soil for the cuttings is 1 part #4 growing media with microrhizome right in it, which surprised me (I think it's the first one on this page: http://www.sunshineadvanced.com/products). 1 part large perlite and 1 part small perlite. I also throw in a small amount of slow release fertilizer to give nutrients to newly developing cuttings. Mixing it well is so important and wetting it down first is important or the dust from the perlite goes all over the place, including up your nose, hair, etc and I think it's supposed to be carcinogenic.

The Uber pop-up, which I didn't even know about, isn't so accurate. Got much more "stuff" in plantfiles. Jen, I'm learning tons doing these cuttings. I wouldn't have been doing this propagation voluntarily if it wasn't cool plants so here's a partial list:

Abelia mosanensis http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/77963/ (Such a lovely fragrance!)
Abelia x grandiflora 'Hopleys' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/78698/
Abelia x grandiflora 'Little Richard' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/368/
Argyrocytisus battandieri http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1702/ (This one's a hard one - tried several times over many years)
Azara dentata 'Variegata' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/110349/
Azara microphylla 'Variegata' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/58448/
Azara serrata http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/78615/
Berberidopsis corallina http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/143258/
Brunfelsia pauciflora 'Floribunda' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/126815/
Buddleja colvilei 'Kewensis' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/78707/
Buddleja globosa http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2199/
Buddleja nappii http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/138162/
Buddleja salviifolia http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57953/
Bupleurum fruticosum http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/78783/
Ceanothus 'Concha' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/98737/
Ceanothus thyrsiflorus 'Victoria' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/67321/
Cestrum fasciculatum 'Newellii' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/58281/
Cestrum parqui http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/88790/
Choisya ternata 'Sundance' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/76407/
Cistus 'Grayswood Pink' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/104393/
Crinodendron hookerianum http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/58038/
Daphne bholua http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/69259/
Daphne collina http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55795/
Daphne 'Lawrence Crocker' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/79486/ (which I think is the one in my previous pic)
Daphne odora http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54758/
Daphne odora 'Marginata' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/164171/
Daphne tangutica http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/84409/
Daphne 'Wilhelm Schacht' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/137146/
Daphne x thauma 'Reginald Farrer' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/169973/
Desfontainia spinosa http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/98990/
Distylium racemosum http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/79551/
Embothrium coccineum http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54219/
Exochorda x macrantha 'The Bride' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1713/
Forsythia x intermedia 'Golden Times' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/79755/ (HOT!)
Fuchsia boliviana 'Alba' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/111426/
Fuchsia boliviana http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/93236/
Garrya elliptica 'James Roof' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/66043/
Garrya fremontii http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/138989/
Garrya wrightii http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/136782/
Garrya x issaquahensis http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/138985/
Hydrangea arborescens 'Incrediball' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/186622/
Hydrangea macrophylla 'Akabe yama' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49158/
Hydrangea macrophylla 'Nigra' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49310/
Hydrangea 'Preziosa' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49477/
Illicium anisatum http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51483/
Iochroma australe 'Alba' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/198516/
Iochroma australe http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1015/
Leptospermum lanigerum http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56548/
Leucothoe axillaris 'Curly Red' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/166141/
Ligustrum japonicum 'Rotundifolium' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/126139/
Lonicera periclymenum 'Graham Thomas' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/80332/
Mahonia pinnata http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/142917/
Metrosideros excelsa http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2243/
Myrtus communis http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54005/
Myrtus communis 'Variegata' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/80759/
Nothofagus antarctica http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/97813/
Orixa japonica http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2620/
Osmanthus armatus 'Jim Porter' - no pf
Philadelphus 'Belle Etoile' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2596/
Prostanthera cuneata http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53569/
Prostanthera rotundifolia http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54050/
Prunus laurocerasus 'Marbled Dragon' - no pf
Trachelospermum asiaticum 'Theta' - no pf
Ugni molinae http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/97641/
Zenobia pulverulenta http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2214/

... and there's still a line-up of plants to do outside the greenhouse. Check out the Echinopsis bloom I noticed as I was leaving. So nice!

and the dog got to chase rabbits in the back field every morning and night. Like paradise.

Thumbnail by growin   Thumbnail by growin

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9197456

I love your method of planting, by putting your nails like that you can move along at a fast pace. The bloom is so beautiful.

Jan

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9197616

Welcome Growin, I am so happy to see this thread come alive again. Especially the fact that someone with your vast experience is willing to talk to us and answer our questions without it being an effort. Thank you so much for coming and please stay awhile.

I am curious about your cuttings. I would like to know what you do with your cuttings from the time you take them and put them into the ground. I worry I leave mine out too long and so I stick them in water. Is that OK? I cut mostly gardenias, jasmine and Christmas Cactus. The gardenias and jasmine had a very bad year and I lost all but 13 out of 105 jasmine Maid of Orleans this year. I could not keep the GH at the proper temps all winter because we had such a crazy weather pattern all throughout the winter. I had low humidity constantly no matter how hard I tried to keep it up. I do not use heat trays and many times I sit my flats in water since that is what they like until they get started then of course that is not a good idea. Over watering is a problem then.

I am so impressed with the number of cuttings you deal with daily. My God, I would get nothing else done, except you are so well organized you make it look easy. Most of my friends on this list grow seeds and I can not for the life of me grow a seed. So, I stick to cuttings.
The cinnamon is a great idea. I use that for ants...it somehow keeps them from remembering where they came from or where they are going. I think that is what I read, but as a fungicide, wow, how great is that. Thank you for that little piece of information. I love learning new things.
Smells good too. I am constantly trying to find the time to make a list of when to take cuttings. Every year I have to break out the files and look it up. Do you know of any such list on any of these sites? I know I saw one but for the life of me I can not remember where it was.
Your invention of the nails is great. I use a chop stick to make my holes because the cuttings are not that big, but pencils do work really well for the bigger ones. But, pencils are hard to find these days. Kabob sticks do good too. LOL. Just in case you are out of chopsticks and pencils. :0
Hope you all have a good day. Forgive me Jen, Nancy and Sharon for butting in, but I love what this man does and I just had to ask my question. See you all later. JB
Growin, I have a question regarding the information about two plants in the files, they are jasmine. Would you be able to answer them for me or are you not into that tropical group?

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

July 8, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9198160

growin...

I love, love, love your Buddleja globosa and your Daphne 'Wilhelm Schacht'!!!! I have never seen a buddleja that grew like this one... the variety is lovely... and the color of that daphne... so beautiful!! I am collecting Iochromas and really love your alba... do you sell any of these plants on marketplace or just locally? I am working on a church landscape/beautification project and could really utilize some unusual plants like these.

I am going to give your growing mix a try... it seems that you have hit on a great combo... thank you for sharing and explaining... I have to agree with Sharon... if you have more than 700 entries in the plant files...you really have been busy... and as JB states... you seem very organized. Please do stick around as we are all eager to learn more about propagating... Oh... and I should say... these ladies are being modest... I have learned so much from all of them!!

JB ... no need to apologize... I completely understand your enthusiasm... seems we have a new 'talent' on the thread!

Have a wonderful evening all... Nancy

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9200293

Welcome Growin'

You surely are busy and we all wish we had the kind of space to propagate like you are!

I've worked in a couple of nurseries, small, and we never had that kind of mass production. Good idea with the nails on boards. There are ways to make some of these tedious chores easier.

Thanks for sharing.

~Amanda
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9205149

Ibartoo(Linda)...do you have any pictures of your propagating system that you made that you can share or are there posted somewhere else? I remember Token(Tom)made his own back in 2008 or 2009, and showed us and JeanneTX (The Clematis guru) but I can't find it now. Guess that was too long and they don't have them up anymore in the archives.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9205171

Pippi21, I remember that, wasn't it in, or about the same time as when hydrogen peroxide was the big thing with starting plants with seeds etc.? That keeps getting bumped up, have you looked in there? It was such an interesting thread. And still is.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9228919

We all must have forgotten this thread and really, Dave is more interested in it than the chat room. so, he might show up.

I had great plans for starting rose cuttings using Seedpicker's instructions, got all the equipment, but just didn't seem to have time. Right now, I am spending my time, among other things, just keeping all of the containers I planted this year watered.

I did start some real cool ornamental grasses. Of course one was the black Millet which I love, one was a Jester Millet, and the other was a real neat multi colored ornamental corn plant. I doubt they will actually get the corn cobs on them, I don't think they do, but they do get the things like cat tails with the seeds. I think you can use those in dried arrangements too.

Anyway, I will take some pictures of them tomorrow if I remember. Here is a picture of my Angel Trumpet blooming. If this is the best it does, out it goes after summer.

Thumbnail by Jnette   Thumbnail by Jnette

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9229501

I thought everyone gave up propagating and was buying their plants at Lowes or Home Depot. LOL Or Acme. Whatever.

I have a greenhouse full of about 6 or 7 different colors- Christmas/Holiday Cactus. They are growing great but it has been a real challenge keeping them damp enough and yet not too damp because of this heat. They do not take a lot of water but when they are rooting and growing they take more than normal... Al least mine do.

I have some Royal and Star Jasmine cuttings started.

Maid or Orleans starter plants are a year old now and looking great and are up on eBay and Cubits.org as well as my Website.

The Goldfish starters and the Tea Rose Begonia are also doing well and are up for sale too.

I have been playing around with camellia cuttings and I think I have it right. I have two that are growing. I have not taken many Amee Gardenia cuttings because I wanted to give the stock plants a chance to rest. They need time to recover the past two years. I have also been playing with the Gardenia Taitensis and I have two of them started.
It is so rewarding when these things decide to grow. LOL .

I had lost some of my stock christmas cactus in a storm this Spring and had to replace them. They arrived yesterday and are too small to take cuttings. Time will tell.

I had been sharing my cuttings of the Maid of Orleans with my neighbor who has the farm market. They were able to sell several, keep some for stock and this year they had a small supply from my cuttings. I am so happy for them. I purchased the original plant at the same farmers market when it was owned by someone else about 6 years ago. Now I have given the new owner back cuttings from the same plant and they are selling them as plants now. Isn't that KOOL????

Wanted to bring Dave up to date on what is going on in the GH in case he checked in. He always liked to know what I had growing. I do hope he and his wife are feeling better soon. JB
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9229693

Wow JB, that's a lot of work!! You are doing great. Darn!! I forgot you said there was something wrong and I wasn't fighting with you. Sorry, guess I am losing all my fight. LOL I am going in to look at your plants elsewhere. whoops. Sorry, I should not say that. I changed it. I am not crazy about Cubits so will stick to elsewhere. I guess since I didn't applaud them I can say that. :0)

Yes, I wonder how Dave and Kim are doing also. I imagine the heat in Oklahoma is a killer for him. Hope he is able to keep his plants going. I had asked him to send me some plants but never heard anything from him. Maybe he is dealing with larger orders. Hope that is the case.

Gotta run, ttyl,

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9229717

Amanda..what forum does Seedpicker post on?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9229913

Pippi21, I'm not Amanda and she is so busy with her new job and commute I understand, that she hasn't posted to us at all. So, I will say that I got Seedpicker's instructions for starting roses from cuttings from the rose forum. I have that link if that is what you want, but I don't know what else she posts on. I copied what I have a year or two ago. Jeanette
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9230637

Jen ~ I am also interested in seedpicker's instructions, so if you could post a link, that would be great. I have a very small rose that is sending out long shoots now, so I thought those would be good to get started for more plants.

JB ~ It sounds like you have enough to keep yourself busy for the summer. My summer propagations have gone by the wayside as it just got too hot and things got too dry. I lost all of my seedlings...not a good time of year for me, as I am too busy in the gardens. I am aiming for late summer/early fall for my next adventure in propagation, since I have no greenhouse, and we needed some space on our back porch. I would just take over the back porch, but Steve wanted it all cleaned up...
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9230673

Evelyn, I copied it into my files so I don't have a link. If you want me to send it to you via email I can do that, it is pretty long to post on here. If enough people wanted it I would do that too. I wonder if Seedpicker would mind if I do that. Probably not since she/he had a pretty big audience in posting it the first time.

Let me know and give me your email address if that is what you want me to do.

jen

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9241886

I need to start trying to propagate stuff now, I have luck with starting things now and get some roots going through the Winter. you are inspiring me people. I have a whole new zone I should be excited but since I will have deer and nobody home until the weekend it seems too hard to waste much energy trying there.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9242801

Dawn ~ You can plant a large bunch of daffodils and the deer won't bother them. Look up the kinds that you like and order them now. Of course they need to be planted in fall, but to get your choice of selections, it is best to order them soon.

What zone will this "weekend chateau" be in? If you get an early fall, then plant soon...if not, you might want to keep them in the fridge until you do, if you get them early. A lot can happen in between ordering time and planting time...like an early snowfall. So if you can, prepare your beds now. Good luck!

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9244077

Thanks. I am in zone 7a I think or 2 or 3 in Sunset zones. Not fall last we looked. Have not been in a couple of weeks though. Good to know about the daffs. Wish it repelled them from plants too. I don't have a watering system there yet but a manual one, so I probably will wait till next year but will get some for sure.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9257091

Oooo my goodness, I hope everybody found Seedpicker's rose cutting instructions. I can't remember a bit about it!

The rose I dug up a couple of months ago is doing very well, but is not getting enough sun where it is because one of my weeds (native wild asters) has gotten so huge. I took several cuttings of that rose when I dug it up and one rooted. It is still very small. It did much better inside under controlled conditions than outside. It had beautiful roots when I transplanted it recently. I will put it in the ground at a neighbor's/friend's house on a steep bank in the sun. I think it's more of a ground rose - not sure I don't have much experience with these, but it could probably be trained to grow up on a trellis.

Some of my schoolwork keeping me off DG lately:

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
9:59 PM

Post #9257849

Amanda, when you are ready, let me know and I will send you Seedpicker's rose starting instructions. Maybe you don't want/need them. That's ok too. Let me know if you do. jen
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
10:14 PM

Post #9257855

I need to rob some cuttings from my x's house, it is the season and my kids live there now and he does not. I know it sounds bad but I bought and planted them and let him have the house when we split so the kids would not be more disrupted. I take seeds and cuttings from him. I know there is an old English rose buried in the back of the garden and hidden. I'm going to ask for it because nobody knows it's there, it is hidden behind tall florabundas.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
10:27 PM

Post #9257859

Go for it Dawn!! Jen
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 29, 2012

Post #9258968

Ditto Jen.

I had two successes with planted seeds today.

Three Philippine Violet seeds were planted on June 16th. They showed up this week. All 3 germinated. I did not realize that some insect was sucking on the leaves of one of the plants until I looked at the photo I took this am. I just went out with a flashlight and could not find any insect. Photo #1

I planted 5 orchid trees/bushes about two weeks ago and they have broken ground are about 5 inches tall. Photo #2

Also attached is a current photo of my Delonix tree. It apparently needs some fertilizer. One of the Philippine Violets came up in the pot with the Delonix. I had no idea the seed was there when I transplanted the Delonix. #3

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon      

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2012

Post #9258986

They look great Sharon. jen
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9267529

Delonix is a name I am not familiar with, will have to look it up. I got 4 1 gallon Atriplex Canesence shrubs for my new house, can't wait to plant them. I remember how fast they grew in one year and the ones I have here in this house are monsters. I need some privacy areas and deliniators at my new house up in the back part of the property where the deer roam freely. They are salty so they don't like to eat them. I hope, I hope!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2012

Post #9267637

LOL, you are going to claim your property from the deer Dawn? Let me know how it goes. jen
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 6, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9267645

Dawn, have you ever heard of salt blocks for deer? LOL...Sharon
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2012

Post #9275659

Sharon, that's mean. jen
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 15, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9276214

Jen, I was not being mean. Just stating a fact. The BLM, when I was a kid, would deliver salt blocks in the surrounding mountains for the deer.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2012

Post #9276360

The only sure way to protect your plants from deer is a fence. Sometimes, even if I just sprayed they will eat some leaves and flowers off my plants.

I do have a fence for my veggies, and other garden beds in there. We cannot afford to fence the 12 acres here. So I do what I can.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2012
10:29 PM

Post #9276374

Sharon, thought you meant to put the salt block in her garden. LOL Sorry.

Well Evelyn, just fence off your garden, or the area where you have planted. So, if you have that already fenced, why do you care if they come up. What are they eating on?

jen

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9276791

The plants around the house, the "Peach of a garden" and in the Hot Bed, but not so much in the landscaped areas by the driveway, since I have a lot of Rosemary there.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9276956

Wouldn't it be easier to fence those off? May not look the best, but???
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9276974

Steve does not want fencing there, so I just use a lot of deer repellant. It works for the most part. The driveway areas have deer-resistant plants in them as I want something besides rosemary.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9277259

Whatever works Evelyn.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9320634

The deer ate my salty plant that rabbits and gophers don't like. So I put Jalapenos all around it and juice all over them, for repayment.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9320712

LOL, keep us posted Dawn. Jen
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9320849

Have you started another forum and I missed out?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9321167

What makes you think that Peg? Not that I know of, unless I was left out too. :0) jen
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9321218

All talk stopped after Sept 15th and I miss it. Every now and then I would get a tip about something new in propagation which I love.
Hope everyone is safe and all the bad weather.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9321627

I know, once people start putting things away for winter etc. they get busy, and then Halloween seems to start the holidays. Just hate to think about winter. Seems we kind of lose track of the threads for a bit but we are always still here if you start it up again.

Up here in North country it is different from the area where you and some of the others are. But we do love to hear about those tips. If it is something I can use, I usually will add it to my computer files. There are people in NC and always glad to hear from people in Texas, etc. So you need to just post and someone will answer.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9322352

I do that too Jen. If I like an article it goes in my dg blog. I save some to a word dog and save it with tags. One thing I saved disappeared when the owner of the pictures decided he did not want people sharing his pictures around. Drats it was so cool what he did with cattle fencing for roses, walls, arbors etc. It was painted green and looked awesome. I guess I found out it was his business and that people were taking his ideas. A lot of people started trying to find those pictures too I found out.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9322403

Cattle Panels would make good arbors, trellises, etc. I can see why if he is making them and selling them.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 1, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9322441

I do not even know what a cattle panel looks like. I will have to Google that.

I keep all my articles in my bookmarks under categories.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9322447

He was not selling them he was a landscape designer. I sent him a message once and he ignored it.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2012

Post #9322466

I don't understand then. If he weren't selling them, then what did he care if people used his designs? Too bad I would like to see them.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9322775

I'm going google cattle panels.

We have been having temps in the 30's and 40's at night. I have cleaned the GH, move the succulents in and am almost out of space. I still have some hanging baskets out and some of the bromeliads. Broms are my pride and joy. Most of them are NOID, but I still love them.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9322857

I did that too Peg and there are a lot of ideas. The one was purely decorating ideas for the house. Interesting. But, I didn't really look any farther. I have had my hoophouse out of them for about 4 or 5 years now. I have 5 of them together and the hh is 20 feet or more long. They are 52 inches wide and 16 feet long. My hh is 8 feet wide at the bottom, 6 feet or more high in the center. Jen
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2012

Post #9322928

Jen, you have lots more area to fill than I do. My what I could do with that much room.
I use a 10X12 GH, a 8X10 rinky GH and DH's work shop for hanging plants during the winter. I give away most of what I propagate.

Right now I started some calandula seeds which have not sprouted after 4 weeks. I also do a tray of hydrophonics. I put bottle brush seeds in about a week ago and one has already sprouted. Then I have some pots with vermiculite with the dwarf evergreen (Lil' John) bottle brush, coleus, lantana (that needs to be put in soil), and whatever breaks off by me stumbling around.

I do want to start some cora bell seeds that I have never done before, but have been reading about them germinating. Am not sure of their requirements.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9325727

Those of you with lights and heat mats growing all day and night, Don't you worry about fires starting? Electirc bills?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9325767

Dawn, I don't have lights running all night, they are on a timer with 16 hours on and the on time is during the day. The heat mat doesn't get that hot even when it does like my heater did. The thermostat went out and it cooked the seeds but no, it never did any other damage. As far as the lights, they are florescent and don't use that much juice.

Also, the lights aren't hot enough to start a fire and there is no material to burn anyway.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9325769

hmmm. I want to do it but I doubt I could convince Greg of this.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9325771

What kind of setup would you have? What seeds would you plant? I guess what I am doing is trying to figure out your area, which I know nothing about. You wouldn't set them up in your new place when you are living in your current one would you? The reason I wouldn't, more than anything, is that they still have to be watered. The planting mix dries out even tho the plants do not germinate and use up the water. You still have to tend them just like if they were plants. They just don't use the water as much and don't need fertilizer and possibly pinching back or whatever.

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9326300

The most important challenge of growing seedlings inside is watering. Just as Jen pointed out, they can get get warm and then dry out if not monitored daily. I have done this many, many times. It only takes one day and then all is ruined!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9326352

The domes help, but don't take the place of being there to take care of them.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9326364

You are right. My calandulas didn't sprout.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9329076

Well I agree, when I get things germinating in my cloner, they dry out fast too. Once I put them in pots they usually die while at work, because they dry out too much. I know I would need heat mats or grow lights but Greg would be afraid of the bills or fire.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9329954

Dawn, maybe you need to change your potting mix if it is drying out after you plant them. Or, use bigger pots. They should not be doing that. Do you soak your mix good before you plant them. If I am using mix that has dried out, I always put a 3 gallon bucket of mix in the sink and run HOT water in it. Fill it up and leave it overnight. If it is fresh mix that has not been opened I just water it good after planting and should not dry out for quite a while depending on how warm they are. But just don't wait too long to water again.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9335086

The problem is here the sun is very strong if I have plants in the window light. It dries out fast. If I make it too moist, it gets algae when I grow from seed. I do need a better mix though.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2012

Post #9335198

Well, that would be a start. After that, it is just trial and error. jen
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 17, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9335939

It looks so crappy in the winter if I sow stuff indoors, it is just a mess of containers. Wish I had a garden room just for that stuff.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2012
10:58 PM

Post #9335964

Yes Dawn, don't we all. Would be nice.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9336289

I know someone who had their back patio converted to a garden room after it was enclosed. My house that I regularly live in has no light as it faces north and is on the east side of the house. Pointless for that purpose.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9336487

I thought of that too. But, my steep roofs, kitchen on one side and bedroom on the other form a valley and it dumps right onto the back deck. I have seen the snow piled 5 or 6 feet high sometimes out there. Not easy to shovel off. Anyway, it would hardly work for a garden room to enclose it.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9336506

Guess no one is propgating at this time. I did put some coreopis plants in pots today. They are yellow and guess I will use these for the MG sales in March.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9336514

Jen ~ Do I have to keep the brugmansia indoors or only when it gets close to freezing? I have so little room indoors.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9336558

Mine froze and came back several years but one year it did not, so I would bring it in.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9336577

Thanks, Dawn!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 18, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9336756

My peas have set their second set of leaves.

I am not propagating them but I have hundreds of new baby worms in my compost pile.

We are suppose to be back into low 70s by Thursday.

I have been throwing seeds in quite a few places for spring. They just sit there and then come up end of March or early April.

Have a great, safe Monday. Sharon
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9336761

Evelyn, Dawn gave you good advice. What brug is it? Don't think you have to worry about freezing Sharon. Oh, are your son's family planning on skiing over Thanksgiving holiday? jen
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 18, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9336767

Do not know Jen. Todd calls every Monday. I think he said he had to work the day after Thanksgiving. They are going over to someone's home and so is another couple. They have been very fortunate and made some good friends.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2012

Post #9336773

That is really nice that they have fit right in with people in Spokane. Jen
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9337227

Jnette wrote:Evelyn, What brug is it? jen

Charles Grimaldi. Previously I left them outside in the ground, and they never grew. This time I will baby it...leaving it in a pot. I just wondered if they like hot sun or just part sun. I usually do not do well with any sort of tropical plant. Well, except for annuals like petunias and marigolds and other bedding plants and tomatoes...not ones that require keeping inside over winter.

Has anyone tried to overwinter a tomato...not in a greenhouse??

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9337377

Oh gosh, CG is one of my favorites. Just remember if you are going to "grow" it in the house, rather than just keep it from dying, then they take a lot of water and fertilizer and no, not hot sun. Partial would be really good. You can probably tell if it needs more.

The only tomatoes I have tried in the house were in my kitchen and I was trying hydroponically. That was a trip. They actually got one tomato on them before I gave up and got them out of there. They got huge. But not enough fruit to bother with. One of the ladies on the tomato forum did however in a sunny window and finally moved it outside where it produced 900 cherry tomatoes this year. She lives in Massachusetts I believe.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9337414

I use hydrophonics to propagate only. After the cutting or seed (large ones work) get big enough, I plant them in pots.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9339186

Jen ~ No, I just want to keep it from dying, then take it outside in spring through fall until it gets too cold to leave it out there. So I should let the soil dry out a bit before watering it?
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9339574

Sharon lives in the same zone as I do, we get the same storms within a few hours or a day of each other and they do get snow too on occasion, so I think her Brugs could freeze.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2012
10:41 PM

Post #9339593

I think it is Evelyn who is worried about her brug, not Sharon. I suppose you could Evelyn. Just not too much as they do use a lot of water. jen
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 22, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9340239

Yes, it was Evelyn.

I do not grow brugs. I have enough plants I am obsessed with. I do not need to add any more.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9340673

Jen ~ OK, so LOTS of water? Or just water when it starts to get dry, or wait until it is almost dried out??
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9341659

Just regular watering. No do not wait until it dries out. I don't know your weather down there Evelyn so it is hard for me to advise on that. Just think that in our summers I water thoroughly every day. But, that is in a pot, on the deck, hot, but not in the sun. If you have it in the hot sun, it will wilt down every afternoon, but will come back up overnight. It won't hurt it, but if it is in the house I would move it out of the sun and just keep it in the light.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2012
11:49 PM

Post #9341729

Thanks! I will try to keep it alive over the winter. Do you have to have a light on it during the day? I do not have bright indoor light. I will take it outside on nice days and bring it in when it gets cold.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9342122

No, I meant a window with good light. Sunlight or whatever. Doesn't have to be direct if it is nice and light.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2012
10:02 PM

Post #9350158

I brought my Brug in that Jeanette sent me. It died except for the one piece kind of popped up the next year and never bloomed. It has leaves in my house still and I keep moving it toward the sun in the window and then switching sides after a few weeks so it rebends back the other way. Maybe I will take it to Tehachapi next year and see if it blooms. Do you know if Deer get poisoned by eating poison to us plants or do they avoid them? I have not clue.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9350159

No idea. Jen
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9351352

One year the deer ate my monkshood, which is highly toxic. Later we saw a dead deer near the road. Not sure if it was the same one. I would protect it if you want to save it.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9351685

Deer here are not a problem. The hunters kill them for food.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2012
10:47 PM

Post #9351924

Most places now have seasons when you can shoot them. Even for food.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9356068

Did you feel bad when the deer ate your MH and you saw one dead? I'd fee like crap even though my garden being eaten would kill me and it has. You know those dang deer ate my Atriplex bush with jalapenos speared like shiskabobs on each branch. Dang it.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9356079

I've never had too, but have you guys tried any of the deer repellents?
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9356435

The deer repellants work for a while. When it constantly rains or snows, it becomes less effective, and then I do not go out in the inclimate weather and spray at that time. That is when I usually lose most of the plants that the deer like. They come out during the day when it is raining or snowing, otherwise at night or early morning at dawn.

Oh, BTW, Dawn, the deer do love salt. I guess they like peppers, too! :-) (Ya shudda' put some chips and dip out there as well...)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9356469

Well, they are looking for the nice green yummy stuff. Maybe if you put a feeding place for them with hay?? corn?? Make it more appealing than your plants. But, you do have to keep it full of food. :0) Far away from your nice plants. jen

Oh, BTW, we need a new thread. This is getting too long. JB, you are good at that. Or anyone else that wants to do it.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9357389

Jen ~ It is against the law to intentionally feed any wild animals, here anyway. I don't know about in your state. The only places that do this are certified rescue parks and zoos. I try and discourage the deer as much as possible. I also would not want to be resposible for wild animals to become dependant on us for feeding them.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9357475

I agree with you Evelyn about making them dependent on me. However, no, it is not illegal here, just discouraged. I should say it isn't illegal for all feeding. Depends on the animal I think. But, I think a lot of people when they move into the "wild" they think it is so cute to feed them, until they become a nuisance. They do it until the newness wears off and then the animals get dirty (turkey poop), and the animals also bring all their friends and soon you have a herd where you started out with a couple deer and it gets costly. But, by then the animals are so used to eating at your "station" that they eat anything there. Should say everything there if you stop feeding.

It is illegal to "bait" animals for shooting them. Like bear, cougars, etc. There again, we have seasons for those.

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9357696

I know I thought of that too but then they would all come to my house and then the preditors like the mountain lions would come and there was a sighting in my area in October. I am thinking of some options but really money is an option right now anyways and it is not the season to plant there so I will have to work on inside and deal with the outside later, hope to get something going this spring though, at least a little. I have pre-emergent all over right now that will go for another month before I decide to reapply or not. They have foxtail grass that grows like mad in late winter so I wanted to kill it before it grows in late winter. It is bad when you have dogs or you walk around and it gets in your socks and pants for ever sometimes. Fire hazzard here too. You have to pull burn permits here in Tehachapi by March something or another, then it is too close to fire season. My area forbids any open flame or you will get fined 5K or more.

My sister in Centralia just bought a rental property in Bend, Or. between her place and her rental and my vacation home, we should all have plenty of placed to visit if we can get the time off. My dad wants me to go to NC where he just moved too. So much to do so little money and time off from work.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9357698

Do deer like poppies and wild flowers Ev? Jeanette?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9357734

LOL, that's what I use google for Dawn. I don't know.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2012

Post #9358575

Dang you, you are older and wiser I thought?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9358655

What do you mean by that?
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9361148

Nothing at all. Just kidding but it was ill thought out.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2012

Post #9361154

LOL, whatever. Jen

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9388051

New Thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294079/

Please check in!!!

A.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 281 Jun 13, 2011 9:12 AM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America