Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: Why are my seeds not germinating?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 4, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Babyblue2805
Marietta, PA

April 12, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9079813

I planted some seeds from St. Clare seeds in small peat containers with a growing mix and several of them are not coming up. The eggplant has not come up at all. The lettuce is so spindly and frail it is dying as I speak. My snow peas which are sowed in my garden haven't produced hardly any plants. What am I doing wrong? On the flip side the tomato plants are germinating beautifully, peppers, zucchini are great too. Can anyone help me figure out why my other plants are doing so poorly?
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9079819

generally all your pepper and eggplant seeds takes a little longer to germinate than other seeds. i'd give it alittle morte time. though most seeds tend to germinate slower at cooler temperatures. maybe try placing them in a warmer area and see. i dont grow lettuce so i cannot help your there.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9079893

The first eggplant came up in 7 days. I also has a seed sprount 3 days ago which means that was 27 days. This is at 75 to 80 degrees.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9079973

Lettuce needs it cool, and lots of light. You're better off sowing it outside. I sometimes sow it in cellpacks with a clear plastic cover on it and put it out, then plant inthe egarden when it gets a couple of leaves. This year I'm trying something new, using a hanging-type container and potting mix, covering with plastic wrap using short stakes to make a tent, and leaving it outside. Or you could just keep it inside until you see sprouts then put it out. It will get leggy and weak in no time indoors. I just love early lettuce!

Pam
trc65
Galesburg, IL

April 12, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9080102

Too hot, too cold, too dry, too wet. What are your soil temps for the peas, what temp are you germinating seeds inside? Have animals eaten your pea seed, are they rotten, have they swelled, did insects get them, how deep did you plant them? Need a lot more info to try to provide any answers.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America