Photo by Melody

Organic Gardening: Anyone use Scotts Humus & Manure?

Communities > Forums > Organic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Organic GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
microbiology1
Foxboro, MA

April 12, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9079963

Over the last few years when I've purchased manure at the store instead of delivery I've usually gone for the bag of Scotts Humus & Manure because I noticed it came loaded with earthworms. There were dozens , if not hundreds, of worms per bag. Even when I would store the bags in the basement for my winter planting they would be quite happy and content in there. The other day I bought two new bags and this time not a single worm. So I contacted Scotts to ask why they stopped adding the worms. They told me they have never added earthworms to any of their products and that worms should not have survived the sterilization process. I was quite shocked by this since every bag I've purchased until now as had tons of worms in them. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9111244

That is strange. Now I'm curious. What have you found out since; if anything? I've also used bagged humus & manure, but I don't remember the brand. Now that I have 2 rabbits & a friend with 2 horses, I no longer have to buy manure.
microbiology1
Foxboro, MA

May 5, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9111249

I've bought probably 3-4 new bags since then. No free worms :( I can only assume the previous bags were on the ground and had holes in them for the worms to enter and multiply?

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9111265

You're probably right! Makes sense to me. : )

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9111271

Perhaps, you could grow your own worms by leaving some bags on the ground? I pile the rabbit poo up in a corner raised bed that's slightly shaded (or "shady"--our city has a no-compost ordinance--lol); along with eggshells, coffee grounds, tea bags, & banana peels; cover it up with leaves & pine needles for camoflauge; & always find a lot of nightcrawlers when I turn the pile. : )

This message was edited May 5, 2012 8:18 AM
microbiology1
Foxboro, MA

May 5, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9111309

huh. you're right! I really should do that. Beats buying worms.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Organic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miracle Gro darius 70 May 14, 2013 6:35 AM
Not Gardening, but Organic information darius 14 Feb 20, 2008 9:10 PM
pumpkins & borers roseofkaren 25 Feb 24, 2008 8:39 PM
Brewer's grain vs. Alfalfa meal/pellets for amendments? tabasco 9 Nov 3, 2008 6:36 PM
Raised beds & soil-borne disease sfk 9 Apr 6, 2008 4:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America