-
AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9080728

We can keep on talking about our clematis and showing photos.

Coming from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/clematis/all/

This is the largest clematis I've ever seen: Broughton Star in Wellfleet, Cape Cod, 2011.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9080762

O M G How do they trim that one.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9080768

It's huge!!! Wonder if it will take over the house one day and if it's fragrant.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9080777

I have no idea who trims it or how they do it. This June I'll check for the sign on the house. It may be a local government office or some other commercial business. My shock came from the fact I had just planted two Broughton Star clematises a few days before so I'll see how quickly it gets to that height.

I couldn't notice a fragrance.

It has taken over the entire staircase!
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9081082

Hi Everyone, I would like to start a chat for Clematis that have been great growers and robust for you. Please join in.
My example

John Warren I grow it in an West facing site, I bought it in a gallon can at Wall Mart and it has never skipped a beat! Everyone comments on the blue. Lee
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

April 13, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9081543

Hello all.

Lee my all time best performer is HF Young. In my garden it gets full day sun. MY next is Claire De Lune which gets almost no sun. It is planted in a bed which is probagly 30 feet from the trunk of a 50 yr old silver maple. I do have a new seedling blooming , but haven"t had time to take a picture. Wheere does the time go?

John
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9081722

Hi everyone, I have to say my best growers are Duchess of Albany, Josephine, and m. Maylene. Miguel Viso and Pink Champage are growing vigorously this year as well.

Lee, I'm glad to hear John Warren is a good grower, it's one of the new ones that I got from Brushwood.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2012
1:07 AM

Post #9081786

Hi!!! I'm here to, got sooo much to learn yet...

My best so far is 'Prince Charles' which is being grown next to Gypsophila paniculata, which is 48". Was going to move my clems into the flower border, but...I'm thinking I like this combination. The origional plant was stripped of leaves for the first two nodes and planted at that new depth. The first year or so it was not mulched, but I know better , I just never got around to it...(naughty). The hole was dug 6" deeper than stated on the tag ( 2 1/2" pot), in the bottom of the hole I mixed aged manure and s. peatmoss. In the backfill, additional peat and manure. Now, I'm thinking I'll keep him, and I'll remember not to put my new Diana anywhere next to him, lol.
Pix 1: Shows the backside of P. C. (forefront is 'Jackmanii supurba') , but more to give you an idea how large the planting of gypsophila is, talk about shaded roots!
Pix 2: Shows the path side of the two.
Pix 3: Closeup
Kathy. (pix are from last summer)

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 1:13 AM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
1:43 AM

Post #9081795

Soo Charming Warrior. Beautiful with the babys breath.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

April 14, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9081966

About Claire de Lune. It is in filtered shade...not deep shade.

John
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

April 14, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9082646

This is another of my seedlings. very small bloom. Pirl you asked about how I grew them. I just gathered the seeds in the fall detailed them and put them in a quart pot with some potting mix then put them in my little box out side. I was walking past the box one day and there the seedlings were.

Thumbnail by timeinabottle

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9082653

John - what does "detailed them" mean? Did you cover the seeds with soil? How much?

That's a beauty!
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

April 14, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9082659

Arlene the seeds have a little feathery attachment which I believe is used to catch the wind and disburse the seeds. I took that off of them. I covered the seeds to about the depth of the seed. Hope this helps.

John

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9082671

Ah, De-tail, de-bud, I get it. ^_^

My best of the year? Nelly Moser. She's still going strong while most other early blooming ones already are spent. This one receives alot of sunlight in the day and out performed those in the shade.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9082673

Thank you, John. Maybe I'll try it this year.

Lovely Nelly Moser, Kim. I do love that one.

Noticed buds on so many clem's today. Henryi must have 100 of them.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9083022

Good article on pruning clematis today: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2833/
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9083097

Can't wait to see those flowers, Pirl! That is a good article, very clear and well written.I wonder why she recommends throwing the cut vine away and not into the compost pile?
Lily, your belle looks great..do you think it is something else?
John, one more question...do you keep the container covered?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9083110

Anna - My only guess, about throwing the cut vines away, is to avoid contaminating compost with any possible fungus. Same story with any diseased parts of any plants.

Belle of Woking does change color from that pale silvery mauve to white as it ages.

Good question for John!

Thumbnail by pirl

bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9083123

So pretty!
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9083129

Huldine and Princess Diana

Thumbnail by bananna18   Thumbnail by bananna18

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9083242

So nice!
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

April 15, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9083254

banna I didn"t cover them.

John

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9083303

banana...Love that Princess Diana, I got one last fall and nice to see what it looks like. My vines are only out of the ground a few inches so far and a new coating of snow overnight.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9083330

You're a devoted and diehard gardener, Kathy.
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9084379

Patience is a virtue! You will be showing your clemmies when mine will be in survival mode through the hot summer
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9084495

I took a short trip to the Atlantic, when I came back my Sister Theresa Astilbes are blooming . My 2 clem Ruutel are still in full bloom, they are my favorite. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9084497

Great pix everyone. Bana, the last pix I had of B.o.W. was that of my neighbors'. Arlene has answered many questions we had regarding the flowers characteristics in that it does change from mauve to pure while with age. How neat! Thanks Arlene. I like the Princess Diana clem. I've a seedling that is purple, I'll find time to add on later this evening. Have a blessed day in the garden everyone.

This double clem. is 'Multi-blue' I think. I have many chores to catch up out in the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9084535

It's easy to see why you love Sister Theresa, Etelka. You're making me look forward to Ruutel even more than I was when I bought it. Mine is in only morning sun so we'll find out how well it does.

Kim - yes, that is Multi Blue. It's one of my oldest clem's and goes beautifully with BofW.

Thumbnail by pirl

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9084668

I think I may need that Belle of Woking too, it's lovely!

Crystal Fountain opening up.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9084678

I can't wait for my Clems to bloom. I may have to wait awhile for a couple that were planted last year...Belle of Woking and Avante-Garde. Henryi, Dr. Ruppel and Blue Light have been here a few years.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9084761

Nice Crystal Fountain, Sue. Ours should be opening soon and with this heat many will be blooming.

It's great just watching them form buds and then watching the buds enlarge each day.

Belle goes to single form after the doubles are done. I think the single form is prettier than the double.

Thumbnail by pirl

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9084924

Wow, such beauty there Arlene! Though, I've to say it isn't quite the "single" form. Maybe be a better description is "semi-double" or "semi-single". Another word "half and half"? Beautiful though. A single mauve bloom is this one that I've. And I've lost the tag!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9084929

Oh, wait, wait. On a closer look. Mine is also a half and half type of bloom! Hmmm!!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9084930

Sorry, Kim. I can't guess at it other than the usual suspect like HF Young.

Half and half just might describe the less than double BoW perfectly.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9084932

Might be!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9084986

I'm with you Arlene. It's difficult to positively I.D. a NOID clem. online. Speaking of NOID (No I.D.) I've these clem. that popped up in the garden years past. And when it was a couple years old, it begun to put out these cute little flowers for me. These are still in buds. I'll post pictures in the future when it open up.

One of the characteristic of this clem. is that it dies down to the ground each winter. Then rejuvenates itself every early spring, and blooms soon there after.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9084998

A close up view of the little darling clematis that grows "wild" in my garden. I have two different of these NOID offsprings in the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9085005

How sweet! My Duchess of Albany dies to the ground each year so I'm used to it happening. She must be the easiest one ever to layer with tremendous success.

We'll all await close up photos of your gem.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9085756

Pirl, you where right when you said that the clems will find a place on top to bloom, even that the trellis is short. This one of my Youns, ready to pop again. Thanks. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9085774

HF Young looks so good against the white fence!
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9086189

A day late; a dollar short, but that article was perfect timing on when to trim. It also waylayed a few fears about killing the plants we have. Some were already here when we moved in. The ones I planted to so long to develop personalities (to be kind), I have to go back to see if I can ID them. They are finally "leaping" to my amazement.

Lots of buds, so I hop there's something to post.

Marcia
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9086224

If you have buds you will have photos, Marcia. Fear not! Enjoy each bloom and give them some manure and Epsom salt if you can (and mulch).

A few years ago I had this Anna Louise clematis growing but just for one year, then it disappeared and never showed another shoot. Yesterday, while looking at another clematis in the same area, I saw a sprout about a foot tall. Until it blooms I won't know if it really is Anna Louise or if Henryi is continuing his travels to the west. I love a good mystery!

Yearning for Anna Louise again, last year I ordered and planted a really nice one (from Brushwood) and it's growing well for a first year clematis but isn't in the garden with the original.

Thumbnail by pirl

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9086994

Hey pirl or anyone else who can answer. I have a shrub clem. can't think which one it is at the moment, but it's about 4ft around. Gotten pretty big, and i wanna move it and also is it possible to divide it? Never tried before so I'm asking first. Was doing cleanup in the clem area and got cuttings from the plant above and another, will try to roots these with hormone powder. Any tips or anwers? Mine are just beginning to show some leaves and most that I planted last fall made it thru the winter, still have a few scragglers not showing yet (tho not clems).
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9087182

If it's dormant it will be easier on you and the plant to move it. Most plants of any kind shouldn't be moved just as they are about to bloom.

When you dig it up it will likely fall into sections. That's what happened to two of mine (that weren't huge or even big) when I moved them in November. When they divide themselves you'll have to decide how to cut it back because the stems will have intertwined with one another. It can be messy and leave you with a large plant containing several areas of dead stems.

I'm of no help on rooting cuttings. I've tried often and never succeeded.

Layerings are almost 100% guaranteed but leave them in place for at least a year before moving them.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9088267

Hello everyone, I haven't posted in a while, crazy busy at work. Here are a few more of my blooms that have happened in the past two weeks.

Peony Bowl of Beauty with Duchess of Albany. The second picture is yesterday after the rain, and shows Siberian iris Snow Queen, that is now blooming profusely this week.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9088269

Josephine is also starting to bloom.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9088271

Niobe looks the best it ever has.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9088277

I love the way the bloom color changes as it gets older. It's as if I have 2 clematis in one. Here is more of Patricia Ann Fretwell. It's still not showing doubles yet. Maybe next year.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9088287

Clematis Huvi, a happy accident that it was planted with foxgloves of a similar color.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9088376

Wow Cem...Just beautiful...I think my fav is that peony!!! Altho that pix with the digitalis is stunning, amazing how the colors match.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2012
1:31 AM

Post #9088452

Annette

What is Huvi growing on? I have 1 to plant and 1 that I really need to move and am clueless where to plant as I am running out of room. I am thinking about letting the one sprawl and mixing the other with some other of contrasting color (maybe). Not sure what I am doing yet.

GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2012
2:51 AM

Post #9088471

hi Everyone,
I am joyfully occupied feeding many different plants now and tying in young clematis shoots. It is wonderful to be in the gardens on these quickly changeable early(for here) one day 80 the next in the upper 40's! I hope everyone is well and finding time to tend their gardens.
I drilled holes either side of Niobe and filled them with old horse poopie, bone meal, and Alfalfa pellets I hope this helps the feeble soul.
Cem-My Josephine is very vigorous this 2ond spring, I'm sure looking forward to it this year,thanks for the pic. I hope you like John Warren, I read they can be a brat but, mine is sure happy ! Your Niobe looks great mine looks like the proverbial 98 lb. weakling, now in its 3rd. year! It s on a fence line bed that I prepared all at once, all the others Henryii, noid, Fire fly,Multi Blue, and Alana are doing just ducky in the same bed.That.s gardening I guess.
Kathy- Welcome Warrior ! Your border garden looks great.
Lily Love- Your Nelly M. looks wonderful! If I find a good plant locally I have to have it! I say locally because,I am done ordering and am a little embarrassed about what I spend on plants! So, you see a single plant purchase doesn't count!!
Pirl- Henryii with a hundred buds already! Henryii remains my all time favorite! I am so looking forward to pictures!
Kiseta- I have never seen a "Ruutel" clematis plant I look forward to seeing pictures of yours. Are they bright ping with purple on the borders?
John- again I am so excited about your seedlings, I an sure you enjoy them!
Lee

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9088584

Good morning Cathy, Huvi is planted in my hosta bed, and is growing on a stand for my hummingbird feeder. It only gets afternoon sun, and I love the effect of the contrast with the variegated hostas it's growing with.

I noticed my first hummingbird last night, the feeder was put out this morning. Annette

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9088631

Hi Lee, I agree that Josephine is very vigorous. I had to get inventive with the staking this morning. John Warren has already put on some new growth since it got planted last weekend, thanks to our rain this week. Annette

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9088693

Such gorgeous photos! For your Josephine, and the new growth bound to happen, you can use a big branch from a tree, just stuck firmly in the ground. The clematis will fill the big branch in a few weeks.

Bowl of Beauty and the Duchess look perfect together.
Josephine looks fantastic.
You have the best Niobe! Mine is more like Lee's - pathetic as usual.
Patricia Ann Fretwell - I doubt I'll even get blooms on mine. It was just planted last year.
Huvi, the foxgloves and the hosta make a dreamy photo.

Lee - as soon as Henryi blooms you can bet I'll post photos.

Yesterday I was thrilled beyond words to see Pauline blooming. I bought her in memory of my dearly departed former neighbor, Pauline Isabelle Reid Loeffler, who taught me to garden. Her initials spell my DG name of pirl.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9088812

Hooray for Pauline! Teaching a person to garden is like teaching a person to fish and a few other euphemisms. Good deeds all. Patience required on both ends and a lifelong ambition. And I see you are passing it on. Hooray for PIRL and pirl. You both have a legacy and your enthusiasm knows no bounds. It is obvious that you are beloved on every forum you participate!

P. S. I don't know where you get your energy.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9088830

Thanks so much, Marcia. At 70 I can tell you age is taking a toll on me: I slept 10 hours last night but my "to-do" list is shorter than ever before and I'd be out there right now but the mowing/blowing/edging brigade is here and the noise (even from inside) is horrible.

All gardens have been weeded and mulched, even the vegetable garden has been weeded, and yesterday the scarecrow got her outfit for the year. All 49 new lily bulbs have been planted, begonias will be planted when it's warm enough as will the 100 caladiums.

Mrs. Loeffler, as I always called her, lived next to me in my former Tudor, with her extra lot for gardening between our homes and that is where she taught me. Born in Albemarle, NC, she retained her appealing and charming accent until she died at 103. A very active gardener and loyal church member she only gave up gardening on her knees when arthritis set in (at 88) but then she weeded standing up and continued until she was 95. The one quote from her that my kids still remember was, "I'd rather die than ever see another slug" (but with her drawl it sounded so much better). Here is her photo the day Jack and I got married when she was 90.

Thumbnail by pirl

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9089149

Arlene, such a beautiful memory and how you've lovingly honored Mrs. Loeffler. I can only echo what Cathy166 has already said. And thank you for passing on the love of gardening to others as you've shared on DG.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9089330

Aw, thanks, Kim. That's so sweet of you and Marcia to say!

Here's the scarecrow for 2012 making her fashion statement. I buy from the church thrift shop so all proceeds are put to good use.

Thumbnail by pirl

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9089391

Little Duckling in bloom, and not sure who the other one is,

Thumbnail by marie_kap   Thumbnail by marie_kap

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9089419

Very nice, Marie. Little Duckling is also sold as Piilu, if I remember correctly. The other one is very lovely on that trellis regardless of a missing name.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9089452

This year my Gypsi Queen is doing grate, already 6' tall and have a few buds. She is the only goup 3 I have and I had cut it back in Spring and looks very happy. Will send pictures when in bloom. I have not heard anybody have it, It is a nice deep burgondy. Tomorow my shippment will arive from Brushwood , finnaly my Daniel D. is comming.
Some of my clems have browning bottom leaves, is that a sign of overwatering?? help Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9089463

Great news, Etelka, about Gypsy Queen. Those group 3's can really put on a show.

Show us your Brushwood plants when they arrive.

I don't know about browning bottom leaves. Clem's like consistently moist soil so please use mulch. A few inches would be ideal. They do not want more water than they can handle. I'll research the problem and let you know if I find a cause or a remedy. Is it Gypsy Queen that has the browning leaves?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9089473

Etelka: this is what I found ...

Why does my Clematis have Brown leaves at the bottom?
This often happens with clematis in the heat of the summer after blooming. It is unsightly, but is usually not an indication that the plant is dying. Make sure the plant has plenty of water and new sprouts should appear when the weather gets cooler.

The information came from this site, which appears very helpful to clematis lovers:
http://www.clematisinternational.com/growing.html#pg3

Lee - on the above site they mention a clematis grower who uses Osmocote!

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9089493

Pirl, It is not the GQ that is browning, it is one of my HF Young, I have some pine straw around it, will add some more. How often can I use the Epsom salt around the clems, once a month? I bought some Alfafa for horses, keep them in water in 5gallon buckents, use it as a tea.This has more alfalfa then the pellets, but has to be screened, lots of green stuff. Next time I will get the pellets so it will be less trouble. We had a nice rain for two days, nice and slow so my newly planted annuals got a good soaking. Will have a lots of different color zinnias, hope they survive the grasshoppers. I will order some of thet Nolo bait, it is 40.00 doll for 5lb, will see how that does. Used the slug repelent, hope the rain did't wash it away. Pirl, I love your " all woman" scarecrow, it is shick. Thanks for your advice on the bown leaves. The garden will look very nice this year, but we have some trouble with neighbors playing loud music, I finnaly called the police, will see how they are beheving. It is kind of intimidating to say something, but I can hardly enjoy my gardening when the owful music is plying. All the houses where brocken into, next week I am planing to go to N. Caroline, and it is kind of unnerving to leave the house like this. It is a lots of meanness in this world. Etelka

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9089515

Love the scarecrow pirl!!! What are you using it to scare off? Think it would work on deer???? And where did you locate the head? (buy)

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9089517

Talking about neighbors. I noticed one of my climbing Hydrangea's is dead. My husband thinks the neighbors put poison on it. It is my fence, but she seems to think we share it and puts dirt and mulch all up against it on her side and now the fence is getting rotten. Plus I hate it when her son plays his drums. I really enjoy a good drummer , but he is not it.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9089535

Etelka - I've never had any problem with HF Young. Sorry, I wish I could be of more help. Once a month is fine for Epsom Salt drinks (for the clem's, not for you!). I'm glad you like the scarecrow! She was fun to assemble. Good luck with the Nolo and with the loud music. I've never understood how people can actually listen to music played that loudly. Some alarm systems are not very expensive at all. Why not call one and get a price to put your mind at rest?

Kathy - alas my scarecrow serves no purpose other than my own amusement and that's fine with me. It does not frighten deer, rabbits, raccoons or squirrels - not even crows. I bought the glass head at Pier 1.

Eek, Marie! My neighbor clips my Silver Lace Vine so I do know the feeling. Try using your blower when the neighbor isn't around to blow away everything she piles by the fence. If she is at home and hears you then you can tell her it IS your fence and you don't want it to rot. Bad music is an assault on the ears. I hope he's 18 and will leave for college soon to spare you the noise. I've never had that problem in any house.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9089575

Pirl, you did not have to buy a dress. I could have given you one from my closet! :)
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9089642

Arlene, i agree with Kim, that really is a great story about Mrs. Loeffler, and how she inspired you to begin gardening. You are now also paying it forward with all the knowledge you've shared with us here on DG. I must say that without all the info you've shared since I started reading the clematis forum, my clematis wouldn't wouldn't be doing as well as they are. Also, congrats on Pauline blooming, is it early this year?

Nice blooms marie_kap. How little is Little Duckling?

Etelka, I hope all your clematis do well this year. My Josephine is notorious for going brown and ugly at the base when it gets too hot every year, but it comes back each spring just fine.

Finally, neighbors, you just have to "love em". I could write an encyclopedia about all the crazy happenings here. Annette
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9089821

This is only his second year, but so far he came up very strong and is about 2 ft tall with lots of buds. All of my others are loaded with buds. I will take more pics as they open up.
I think I would scare my self if I put that lady in my garden, i would have the feeling someone was watching me all the time...lol

Here is my latest bed finished yesterday with mulch. There are 4 clems growing on that trellis with 2 climbing rose's. In this picture I have 7 clems showing on trellis of some sort in the back bed, with 3 more not showing on trellis in there. The one has leaves so huge, you can see them in the pic, it is on the back of the trellis.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9089905

Thanks, Marcia, but Miss Scarenothing can't wear anything less than a size 8, has to have long sleeves and as high a neck as possible - no "revealing" anything in the garden! She makes shopping fun.

Annette - thank you so much but I think you're giving me too much credit. You are the one who did the work! I only received Pauline last year and it bloomed shortly after so this was her first entire winter here and I'm delighted to know she's an early bloomer. Mrs. Loeffler didn't have any clematises! She did have delphinium, lupine, digitalis, phlox, irises (I still have the irises), daylilies, yarrow and so many more wonderful plants.

I have a few that go ugly each year and this year I'm going to try any brand of fungal powder (sold in drugstores) to see if it will help. They do bounce back very well but I hate the black look against the obelisk.

Marie - those clematis leaves ARE large! So glad to see you've given clematises more clematises and roses as partners - double the pleasure, double the fun. That mulched bed looks terrific.

The scarecrow doesn't frighten me. After 15 years I'm used to her presence. She did look odd while I searched for the dress I knew I had!

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9090461

Love those scarecrows and your sense of humor.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9090547

Thanks, Marcia. Sometimes it's a sense of humor that gets me through the tough days in the garden.

Minus the cost of plastic surgery to get her "fabulous" figure.

This was last year:

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9090549

...and, as I suspected, she was not a natural pink head after all. She bleached out slowly but nicely.

Thumbnail by pirl

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9090588

I have received my Sizaja Ptitsa and Daniel Deronda from Brushwood today, they look very healthi the ptitsa has two blooms on it. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9090729

Wow! That's great, Etelka, especially the tongue twister in bloom.

I don't mind buying little plugs but this is proof of how terrific Brushwood's plants are. At my age I prefer Brushwood to waiting two years (or more) for plugs to establish themselves.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9090783

Just to brag about my street garden, I have planted some Yarrow, and today I bought some purple wave petunias, on the other side I have some yellow coreopsis, so when it fills in it should look good. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9090833

It's looking very good, Etelka. When the yarrow flowers dry up cut just the flowering stalk to the bottom and you should get rebloom since I do, way up here in the northeast.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9090848

Kathy - here's the glass head from Pier 1:
http://www.pier1.com/SearchResults/tabid/37/txtSearch/glass+head/Search/glass+head/List/0/Default.aspx

and the scarecrow right side up!

Thumbnail by pirl

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9092057

Heres that Clem that I said the leaves were so big. Then the leaves next to my hand.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9092091

Wow Marie! What kind of clematis did you say it was? That is huge!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9092098

Marie - I think they are morning glory leaves. See what you think:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/theamarand/2836919646/
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9092168

No morning glories there. I have 2 Clems planted there, one is Josephine and the other I forget.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9092219

Would you consider putting the photo on the identification forum?
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9092252

Sure pirl. This is one of the areas that they ripped them off the trellis last fall, and then I did what you told me to do. Also I was pinching it back.
I don't know how well you can see the 2 different blooms here, but one is the pink Josephine and one is a purple one.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
2:37 AM

Post #9092446

Everyones clems are lovely.
No clems blooming here yet.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9092531

Marie - what a lovely scene that is. I can see the clem's but none with the classic heart-shaped leaves that morning glories have.

Jo Ann - last year was poor for clematises but this year they are leaping and budding up so early.
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9092552

Hi Everyone,
We are getting much needed rain here in upstate New York. It looks as if it will be cold for most of this week. Is your weather going to let you play in your garden? Lee
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9092581

Heading out right now!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9092598

It rained all day yesterday.I put 17 plants in the ground today in the fog.Tomorrow they predict snow and rain.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9092623

Low in the 40's at night, hi on the 60's with northerly winds here! Not much can be accomplished when it is windy in the garden. :((
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9092793

The rain started here at about noon so I worked hard while I had the protection of the tree above me and did get a lot done.

Good job, Jo Ann. Just say NO to snow!

Kim - I hate wind! I don't like heat outside either but the wind gets me nuts.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9092891

Pirl, you be proud of me, I have planted both of my clems and the Ptitsa (means bird) got the trellis that was my Christmas present to my self . I have planted in container some million bell petunias, I think it will be nice when it fills in. The Daniel D. is planted on the same trellis as one of my Ruutels. Some bad people took the Airconditioners at the church and took them appart, left only the cage, so when the workers where removing it, I brought it home and made a half circle trellis. I think it will work and it is low enough not to block the visibility to the home.

Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9093068

Oh, this thread is dangerous! I just got 6 clems from a co-op order, and now I've gone and ordered 4 more because of all the raves about Brushwood--starting with you, Pirl, on the other thread! Lol!

I just had to have an integrifolia, which I had never heard of before but looks right up my alley, so I ordered two: Sizaja Ptitsa and Alba, and asked for re-stocking notification on 3 more. Then I realized I could no longer be happy without 2 old friends from another time and place, Nelly Moser and Hagley Hybrid.

I guess I have a severe case cabin fever, stuck in the coty on what should have been a gardening day out in the boonies. Yikes! What do you mean, addiction? Who, me?!

Pam

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9093069

Etelka -

Love your new trellis - it is just unfortunate that somebody would steal, let alone steal from a church... Can't say as I like what seems to be going on in the world.

I have Dr. Ruppel that is full of some nice fat buds. I am just hoping it doesn't snow. My dogwood are in full bloom...
obliqua
Pittsburgh, PA

April 22, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9093070

Here is Josephine and "unknown" clematis , now in bloom. They grow together well.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is supposed to get 3-6 inches of snow overnight. I wonder what that will do to my garden????

I will be afraid to look out the window tomorrow morning...

Thumbnail by obliqua

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9093080

Obliqua

could your unknown clematis be Gillian Blades. I have attached a photo of my Gillian Blades. Type 2 pruning group.

Pam - that is how the addiction starts and we are all enablers! ^^_^^

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9093139

Love your Christmas gift to yourself, Etelka. It will be so grand when the annuals bloom in the pots. Just like Carolyn, I feel sad to know people steal from churches but at least you put the caging to good use and the clem's will cover them.

Obliqua - that's such a nice pairing. I love the smaller and larger flowers together.

Carolyn - I ordered Dr. Ruppel long ago just to fill out an order. All the others (from a co-op) died but Dr. Ruppel was the winner.

Thumbnail by pirl

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9093147

Pirl, I keep hearing the name Dr Ruppel, that is not the one I have named Ruutel?? Etelka
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9093218

The Dr. is another one I love - (I love them all! ^_^). He is growing through a yellow climbing rose. What I really like about that combination is the Dr. flowers early and the yellow rose flowers most of the summer, so definitely a nice extension to the flowering season.

Ekelka - I have Ruutel. The color is such a velvety burgundy color.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22   Thumbnail by Carolyn22   Thumbnail by Carolyn22

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9093321

Good idea, Carolyn, and very nice photos, as usual.

Etelka - they are two different clem's, Dr. Ruppell and Ruutel.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9093344

Lovely clematis everyone. Here is Jackmanii? (of a friend's garden).

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9093403

Etelka

The photo on the left is Dr. Ruppel and the middle photo and the photo on the right are Ruutel.

Carolyn
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9093434

Very nice, Kim. How I wish all clematises had the genes of Jackmanii.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9093648

It's pouring in NYC, I can hear it pounding down. I'm thinking of you, Obliqua, and hoping its only rain for you too. How strange that snow should be predicted south of here, and in northwestern CT it isn't. Seems backwards to me...

So many beautiful pictures... I love them all.

Goodnight!

Pam
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9094035

Hi Everyone, My Friend Susie Snowflake came to visit and has decided to stay for the day,perhaps two! I bet Carolynn is also being visited! April snows are frequent here but, it is rather late and we are getting a lot of downed power lines from tree breakage and the high amount of breakage is due to the advanced leaf growth and the sap has also risen. I am not very concerned about our beloved Clematis as I am sure the buds of most tolerate a few degrees of freeze. Damage reports to follow! Good luck to all. Lee
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9094046

Good luck to all is right!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9094054

Best of lucks there Lee. Our temp. drops like a rock down here too. 15F. degrees cooler than average.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9094518

Here's an excellent article on growing clematis by the owner of Hummingbird Farm in Maine:
http://www.pressherald.com/life/homeandgarden/hope-for-the-clematis-impaired_2012-03-18.html

If you just happen to be lurking and not posting please let us know if we can help you with any issue you have with clematises.
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9094549

Thanks, pirl...just what I need...more temptation! :)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9094552

You remind me of Oscar Wilde's quotation: I can resist anything but temptation!

Have fun, Katherine!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9094600

I have an update on the 2 Clems I got last Fall. No sign of Avante-Garde but here is Belle of Woking. I notice it heaved a bit more than I thought at first. Can I fix that now or what?

This message was edited Apr 23, 2012 1:16 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9094633

Mix up a barrel with manure, compost and Epsom Salt (just a handful of the ES), and apply it all around the clem. Then water it in well and mulch it with 3" of mulch. Save what's left in the barrel for other clem's that you may find need it.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9094673

Awesome...thanks!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9094849

Arlene
I am lurking.

We got a couple of inches of snow last night. I had some huge fat buds on Dr. Ruppel - not sure what to expect yet. I did take a quick look at some while I was outside - right now, the vines still look good, but I know that can be decieving. Our nighttime lows are cold. I am hoping this is the storm before the calm and great weather is on the way.

Lee - how much snow did you get?

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9094857

Per the radio gardening guy, snow is better than ice. I hope your clem's survived in great shape, Carolyn. We're cold here as well. I went out for less than an hour and my hands froze even with winter gloves. It's nasty!
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9095050

Crossing my fingers for you guys in the snow path!

Kiseta, I'm looking forward to seeing your half circle trellis in bloom...what a great idea!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9095085

Kwanjin, I dug my Advante Garde up and I am pampering it in a pot. It is a very fragile Clem from what I have seen so far.
I am hoping this will protect it from damage till it can get some strong growth.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9095088

Marie - let us know how you do with it - I had an awful time with it.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9095112

I thought I had a lot of purple Clems, but as they start to bloom they are mostly pink, pale pink to white. One I know is purple since it is my oldest. I guess I need to buy more purple and reds.
The ones I get at the end of the season are a guessing game. they dont always turn out to be what you thought.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9095181

I've had so many not true to name and so far apart in color from the photo on the label from reality that it's amazing I still trust stores. Actually, I don't really trust stores but trust Brushwood and a few other sites.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9095403

I may have to dig up Avante-Garde and see what;s up with it. That one and Henryi. Both are no shows.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2012
1:31 AM

Post #9095441

Celia -

I have some that show later than others. I wouldn't start digging anything yet. I have also had some that don't show up for a year and then are back like they have never missed a step, so make sure you continue to water those areas as well.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9095505

This the third year for my Advante Garde. I had 2. one just never grew. This one came up but and grew about 4 inches last year and that was it and then it was gone. So this year it went in a pot. It just does not want to put out roots. I have given it manure, Epson salts, bone meal. Anyone have any ideas?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9095585

Such pretty photos of Avante Garde but no clue as to what is the issue with it. http://www.google.com/search?q=clematis+avant-garde&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS418US418&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=m5qWT-WuO5SI6AGU-qWrDg&sqi=2&ved=0CG4QsAQ&biw=1003&bih=486&sei=sJqWT4-ENIT26AHpnIW2Dg

Where did you buy it, Marie, and was it a plug or a full sized plant?

If you really want it, I'd suggest you buy it again from Brushwood.

Celia - if all of your others are up but not Avant Garde or Henryi (and there are no sprouts) you can wait or dig now if you're impatient. My older Josephine didn't grow last year and didn't sprout at all during the winter while I kept it in the small greenhouse on the indoor porch. So buying a cheap clem was just throwing money on the plant and the shipping, out the door. I'll stick with Brushwood and Garden Crossings (except for the lure of the foot tall clem's at Walmart!).
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9095688

It was 2 plugs Pirl, and they were not cheap. I was told that they were 2 year old plants. I will be hitting the store and getting more purple ones tomorrow along with some more mulch.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9095749

Well, isn't that just rotten? I hate when that happens and for the wasted money. More than that, we wait and wait for blooms only to have dead plants on our hands.

The President is a nice purple with a sheen.
Multi Blue is more purple than "blue" and it's double.
Maria Franziska has been here two years without a single bloom. Hiss, boo on the place where I bought it. Never again!
Jackmanii is tried and true but may be larger than you want.

By the way, I did notice the Walmart clem's are plugs and some are popping out of the soil while others are well planted. For $6.97 I was willing to take the chance and it is over 1' tall already (lots of stems!) so I'm wishing myself luck.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9095833

Lowes had some real nice Multi blues in stock and healthy too. That is where I think I will go.
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9095842

Hi Everyone, Carolynn- We had 2 inches of snow here also. Any place west of us got pasted with lots of snow but, as you know that is typical of our weather pattern.
CLEMATIS IN SPRING SNOW STORMS. this is what I have noticed and I am sure it doesn't cover certain varieties,sites or thumb colors! I do not have any Montana's,Tangutica' nor types that are thought to be tender or difficult. Leaf Tissue Damage -I have not seen any frozen or discolored foliage from this weather. Breakage- Not that I have seen, I think this is due to the light structure that does not hold much snow weight. I have had FOUR STEMS SPLIT LENGTHWISE. I think but do not know this was caused by cold temps and wind rocking and I don't affix older stems to supports well,I am afraid if constricting growth! A VISIT FROM THE GRIM REAPER ! I have not seen any such visitations shortly or within a few months of this horrid weather...It is still going to be cold and muddy to do a lot in my garden!! Lee

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9095863

Henryi was bad last year. I thought it was a goner then. DH reminded me Avante-Garde put out a shoot and a couple of tiny leaves early in March and then froze. I think I'll leave them both until the end of the month.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9095876

Kwanjin, I've my Avante-Garde in a deep ceramic type container. This is my first spring with the gallon-purchased plant from last summer. I'll keep you posted as to how it does. Some clematis just "sleep" and mine appears to "creep" at the moment, I hope it eventually "leap" in the near future. Best of lucks.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9095879

Thanks, Lily. Everyone gives me hope!

This was Henryi last year.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9096117

Try giving Henryi and AG a drink of Epsom salt and see if they wake up.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9096124

Out here Lowe's had many gigantic clematis Blue Light for (I think) $12.88. All in flower!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9096145

I've already done that and given bonemeal. I need some manure but that won't be until later in the week.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9096331

Then patience is called for and that's never easy. (Join the crowd!)

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

April 24, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9096348

Lost this thread for awhile, but glad I found it again...most of my clems are budded, but none are blooming yet...Blue Light looks the best...very robust...the 3 clems i planted from Brushwood last year...Omoshiro, Gypsy Queen, & Ito all look great and are budded...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9096395

Hurray! We all love success stories.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9096649

I hope that everyone in the northeast fared well this week, and I hope no damage occurred to the plants. It got pretty chilly over the last few days with temps in the high 30's and low 40's at night here, but thank goodness no snow.

I do have to say that the composted manure and Epsom salt does make a difference. Here's Huvi this week. Do the darker clematis seem to prefer more shade?

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2012
1:27 AM

Post #9096805

Annette

Huvi is gorgeous - I really like the digitalis in there as well.

I received an email from my Dad last night - they are down in NC just north of Myrtle Beach - apparently they have been having some cold weather there as well - which surprised me.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9096877

Thanks Carolyn, I do like the rich color of Huvi. The weather here has been crazy, now we're going back into the 80's during the afternoons this week. I prefer the cooler weahter since it allows th blooms to last longer on all of the plants, the heat is going to fry them.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9096895

It's only 41 right now so that will delay the start of this gardening day. A friend down in central Florida woke up to 40 two days ago!

Annette - Huvi is a lovely color and, like Carolyn, I enjoy how it matches the digitalis. Glad the composted manure and ES made a difference for you. Even if the change can't be noticed, it's still good for the clem's.

One of my Belle of Woking clem's wandered over to a hydrangea and it will cover the top of the hydrangea by blooming time. I love the unexpected surprises and this clem is 19 years old so the spurt of growth must be from the manure. I had a heavy bag of old manure outside in the winter and just to be done with it I dumped it on the fireplace clem's. in early March. BoW seemed to enjoy it more than the others.

My darker clem's do not seem to want or need more shade. Odd but it's Nelly Moser that fades if it gets too much sun.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9097782

When a Clem label says part shade, will the east side of the house be good?
Mine gets mostly morning sun, then some early afternoon , then shade.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9097814

Which clem?
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9097818

Both the Henri and the Multi blue
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9097827

Here Henryi has expanded in a southeast (more east than south) exposure and now fills 3' of earth in width so I'd say it loves it. Multi Blue has a northwest exposure and, while it doesn't have as many blooms as I'd like, it always looks good and doesn't fade at all.

Would you consider potting them up and planting them in their pots? If they don't perform well it would be easy enough to lift the pots and find another place for them. If they do well then just take them out of the pots and you already have the holes made.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9097850

Too late already planted...lol
One was put on the east side an the other was put on the west side bed beside a evergreen tree, but behind the small azalea's. It should get morning sun and then filtered sun and then shade. I did put plenty of bone meal with them. I am still on the hunt for the manure.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9097859

Who would ever have thought manure would be hard to find? LOL

The best we ever had came from a hardware store and it was a gold bag. The name had something with "Texas" in it. Wish I could find that one again.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9097878

I might have to go to a nursery to find it. No big box store has it. Maybe on my way to work tomorrow I will stop at the nursery I like to get summer veggies..
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9097897

Good idea. Agway should have it if you have one near you.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9097922

Do you all have Walmart up north? I purchased Earthgro organic composted manure with humus, that was only $1.47 for a 40lb bag. When I saw the price, I had to ask the cashier if it was correct, and she said that was always the price. I got 2 bags.

Today was a great garden day here. It warmed up, got a little too hot, but I took my time and planted the last 2 clematis Arabella, the last of the lilies, and the brugs. Only a few more irises and daylilies are left be planted for this spring. Hope everyone had a pleasant day. Annette
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2012
3:43 AM

Post #9098186

Annette

I have seen Arabella in garden photos. She is gorgeous. I think she will be pretty with the lilies.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
3:52 AM

Post #9098192

Good to know Carolyn, I planted 2 each in the beds with the peonies, lilies, and irises.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9098212

This off the topic of clems, but what do you plant among your day lilies? I am sure it would have to be a low growing plant. I am still trying to fill in my last bed. I need something among the roses there also.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

April 26, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9098263

I plant iris in with my daylilies...all kinds, from dwarf to spuria...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9098278

I was just at Walmart and didn't even look at manure to see the bargain you got, Annette! I'll have to see Arabella now.

Marie - Mostly I have daylilies with more and more daylilies but I've worked in coreopsis Zagreb, salvia, yarrow, some sedum, alliums, spring crocuses and daffodils (carefully marked so I don't think they're vacancies when the foliage dies down).

Thumbnail by pirl

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9098303

I want something that will still bloom once the dayliles are done and waiting for their second flush, but wont over shadow the lilies in bloom.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9098477

Dahlias. They come in all colors, heights and sizes of blooms. Home Depot had a large selection when I was there. They'll bloom at the very end of the lily season and go on until frost.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9098575

Clematis et al.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9098763

Spring in bloom in Kim's garden - so beautiful!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9099002

Thanks Arlene, this year everything was early. Perhaps, Arnette can relate, it seems as if summer arrived early...likes today!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9099077

All my clematises are in bud and one would have been spectacular but I tried to bend it ever so slightly and broke the stem instead! This is a month early for us.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

April 26, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9099113

I hope the buds will be OK ...temps in the 20s for tomorrow night...
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9099204

Oh, pirl that is so sad!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9099214

Our low is only supposed to be 36 so I'm hoping for the best. It's all any of us can do.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9099323

We got own into the high 30's to low 40's last week, thank goodness no frost. The clematis did fine, the heats back today, we were in the mid 80's, and it's still 75* right now.

Kim, that is one gorgeous picture, it's really blooming up a storm where you are already.

Arlene, sorry to hear about the broken clematis. Hopefully it will branch, and give you more beautiful blooms than you expected. Annette

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9099530

Sorry about the broken Clem. I've done that, too.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9099621

It's still hanging on and not appearing dead so maybe I'll try a split as a Band Aid.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9100673

I dont remember the name, I just know that it is a Montana.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9100675

2 more, the trellis has 3 planted on it.

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9100678

It will only let me load a few at a time and then not always.

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9100682

And my new one Henri.
many more are just waiting to bust open.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2012 9:58 PM

Thumbnail by marie_kap

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9100691

That montana is a surprise to me. Generally the flowers are not large.

All pretty flowers, Marie. The system balks when the size of the photos is too large. It was reported on the forum, Dave's Garden.

Henryi is white here and all places I've seen it online. Sure it's not H.F. Young?

Thumbnail by pirl

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9100712

That might be it Arlene...lol I knew it started with an H... I bought 2 different ones that day.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9100898

Marie, your pictures are beautiful. In order to post multiple pictures, you can resize them in Windows Paint to 25% and you'll be able to post up to 5 pictures at a time.

Arlene, your Henryi is just gorgeous. I saw it as a bareroot in Walmart a few weeks ago, and meant to pick one up. When I went back, they were all gone ;-( Annete
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9101050

Thanks, Annette. It's one of my oldest ones. I love the green stripes on the reverse side as they open but it does disappear after a few days.

It has expanded greatly and now takes quite a few feet of earth and it has wandered forward quite a bit. Can't wait for it to bloom this year.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9101715

Much to my amazement both Omoshiro (the original one) and Lemon Chiffon opened today. Yesterday was opening day for montana Grandiflora. There are so many buds that it's hard to believe.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9101769

I think once the warmer weather hits again this week , we will see a lot more buds opening up. I cant wait to see what is out there. Some will be blooming for the first time for me.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9101798

Marie -

such gorgeous photos. I noticed today, my type 2 s are budding. I can't wait for them to open!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9101833

Can you imagine our reactions by next Wednesday and Thursday? We'll all be ecstatic. This will be better than recess ever was.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9102612

Marie...how much room is there between plants that you're trying to fill? Have you thought about Gypsophila Covent Gardens, it's an annual at about 18", reseeds lightly. And how about more info on your rose bed, looking for groundcover or plants to surround them, and what kind of roses, (shrub, teas, etc)? Kathy.

Pix: I'm allowing my J J's to fill in where ever they seed in,getting a nice carpet effect beginning, will get some new pix this week.
Pix: Penstemon, I think this one is Redrocks an all summer bloomer at 12-18"x6-8">, blooms all season (deadhead) reseeds lightly.
Pix: There are several campanulas that might work for you also, this one is rotundifolia, short at about 8" and just starting to spread, hope it hurries.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

April 29, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9102648

Clem buds are popping up all over...am hoping for some this week when it warms up...love the penstemons, Kathy...I just ordered a few more.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9103117

About 12 -15 inches between the day lilies, and my one rose bed I would say 3 ft between the roses. It is a new bed that I started last year. I want something that would grow some what shorter than the roses and bloom most of the summer. I am off Tuesday and I will be going on the hunt.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9103518

I went to see my grandkids in the Albamerle area in NC and when I came back my Gipsy Queen opened up, it is very nice color, I think I wand an other one just like it. Also my Neobie bloomed for the first time. Only the Henrii and the Daniel D. not bloomed yet. I have a second year Hydrengia, it is blooming and I hope it will get taller this year. The black and blue Salvia is 4feet tall, beutiful blue. Life is good. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

April 30, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9103547

Lovely! Black & Blue salvia is an annual here, but I usually have one in the gardens...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9103574

Marie - when you're out hunting you might want to look at the shorter dahlias. They have them in sizes from 12" to the giant ones and they will bloom until frost.

Etelka - I don't think you've ever mentioned Albemarle before! That was the home town to the real PIRL. She lived at the corner of Cotton and Gin, near Peedee Drive (a main road there).

Gypsy Queen does look fabulous! Niobe is a nice color but mine never grows really tall.

Do you have a name for that hydrangea? I only ask because many get to 5' x 5' and if that's the case with yours it will need moving within a few years (just a friendly warning from someone who had no idea how large mine would get). This is Bluebird hydrangea in the collage and you can see it above the row of x's (with the tag) after I planted it in 2006 and then see how large it became just two years later. Now it's even larger!

Wonderful Black and Blue Salvia. I love that plant.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9103583

Here's a close-up photo of the bloom on Bluebird. Most/many hydrangeas enjoy part shade, especially in the hot afternoon sun here.

Thumbnail by pirl

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9103597

Hi Pirl, I have been to Elizabeth City, which is in Albamerle area, it is kind of like a county but not. It is a combination of few cities. My son is in the USCoast Guard there and my DIL is from Camden.
My Hydrenea is I think Blue Bird, can't find the ticket, it is doing well, morning shade, some sun in the afternoon. Only my climbing Hydrengea is not blooming yet, maybe this year. It groo some but the grasshoppers are eating up the new leafs. Hope I get the end to the grasshoppers this year, I am ordering some organic treatment. They promissed rain last week, but we have not had any, so when I came home after 3 days, the plants where very dry. Today my friend and I are doing some planting at the church, whatever we have at home , shady type of plants. I have some hostas and impatients, and will see how it looks. My Sister Theresa is still blooming, but the Iris are doing slow, what can I put on them to make them bloom. Only one bloomed, the Man in black, but it was open only for a few days, I was not impressed. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9103659

Yours is a mophead hydrangea, Etelka. Bluebird is a lacecap. (Different type of flower heads)
Collage shows lacecap on the left, mophead on the right.

My climbing hydrangea hasn't bloomed yet. It's six years old!

Every iris lover would enjoy having a product to make them bloom. Some take a year off and some don't/won't bloom after transplanting. If yours have been in the exact same spot for a few years they should bloom (or should have bloomed) for you. I no longer lift and divide every three years. It's too much work and I get tons of blooms. Here's a culture page for bearded irises. I hope it helps you. http://www.schreinersgardens.com/about_iris.shtml

Did you order your irises from a reputable company? Many perform beautifully and are exactly as pictured while others are a bit of a disappointment, like many other plants.

Have fun planting at your church and take photos for us. Thanks.

Thumbnail by pirl

GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9104121

Hi Everyone, I have spent the dat diging, straitening, edging borders...yoo much like work!, got about 60 feet done to day. I cant do very much at one time but, I don't care as long as I am in the gardens. I am not seeing any cold damage of ths clematis from our 3 days of low 20's. My c.'Allanah, had some wilted tip shoots and flower buds but, as I looked the damage all came from the wind tearing the shoots off the stems!
Kisetta- Your clematis are looking fine! I sometimes wish I lived in the south but, it is too hot for me! I spent a few months on Paris Island in the early 60's in Marine Corps boot camp...I didn't much like it!
Enjoy your gardens everyone. Lee S.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

April 30, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9104501

Bluebird is a very pretty hydrangea!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9104538

Thanks. I love it. A few years later I bought it again before I knew how easy it is to root them!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9104715

Hey Arlene, please share how you root your hydrangeas. I have a variegated one that I'd love to grow some extra plants from.

I also wanted share my noid clematis that got too top heavy before I could support it, and the stems split. Although the stems are bent, it still continues to grow and is now blooming.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9104722

The blooms on this noid also vary from 4 to 6 petals per bloom, and some of them have a hint of green as they did last spring, as if petals and leaves have fused, weird huh?

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9104727

The new clemies that were planted in the last 2 weeks are also putting on some nice growth. Here Durandii, John Warren, and Otto Froebel.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9104945

Those are growing nice. I hope I find some manure tomorrow so i can get it around my new clems. I want a red one like you have. Is the name Noid, or is that a type of clem?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2012
1:44 AM

Post #9105000

Very pretty Annette - I just love it. I was trying to get a handle on name and so far am unble to do that.

Marie - NOID is No ID.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9105076

Hey marie_kap, the manure has made a difference in the growth and blooms of the clematis. As I posted above I got a 40lb bag for $1.47 at Walmart here, a product from Earthgro that states it's organic and is a combination of humus and composted manure. As Arlene has posted, don't forget the bonemeal and Epsom salt, it's really made a difference here.

Thanks for the compliments Carolyn. I've been racking my brain, trying to figure out which clem this is. I've googled, binged, and looked at pictures from the different nurseries that offer clematis, and I think my NOID may be viticella Rubra. It has smaller leaves, blooms that are 2-3 inches, and the pictures that I've seen of Rubra are very similar. Annette
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9105107

Annette - Between your home, your windows, the fencing and the brickwork columns - then adding the clem's, it's just all fabulous. No idea here as to the no ID clematis but it's doubly pretty with the dual colors.

Your newbies look wonderful!

I'm a believer in manure (always aged/composted/dehydrated) and compost for clematises. Maybe it's the slow and steady source of nutrients in the ingredients but it works. I don't use any Miracle Gro product on my clem's. I feel it's too much like force feeding a baby.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9105217

I will be going to Walmart today then. I cant seem to find anywhere else. I put it down in the fall and you are right it did make such a difference.

I was hoping for some nice warm sunshine to be working out in the yard these 2 days. But I guess I will only get some sun and a little warmer weather.

1 lesson learned. I was thinking that Noid was a type of clem with how many times I saw that word used...lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9105304

Any nursery should carry Espoma but the bags are just 20 pounds (fine for me and nice "handles" to carry them) but they are very expensive. My husband bought them when I told him I needed manure back in the winter. Glad it was him, not me!

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9105606

Wonderful catching up here, exciting time of year as new blooms open for everyone!

Stopped by Zuzu's yesterday, she has this stunner that is now on my wish list, I will pick it up at a local nursery here where I saw it the other day.
This is Rebecca, a true red. I couldn't get in any closer to try to eliminate that bright sun spot, at least it shows pretty true in color, sometimes my camera messes up reds.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9105618

And here are a few more shots from a couple of nursery stops we did yesterday.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue   Thumbnail by Calif_Sue   Thumbnail by Calif_Sue   Thumbnail by Calif_Sue   Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 1, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9105692

That red is amazing!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9105701

Gorgeous pictures Sue, now I'm really glad that I have JW and PC. Pink Champagne is a vigorous grower here, and has put up many stems with lots of blooms to come.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9105703

here is my Vyvyan Pennell with a little garden visitor that I didn't see until I was editing the photos.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue   Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9105705

Pink Champagne is a beauty and a large bloom too, very striking!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9105756

All are so nice, Sue, and you're such a good photographer.

The trouble some of us have is that we're non-discriminating. I love all clem's - from the tiny bell shaped to the typical class 2's, to the giant size of Liberation as well as the montanas. I'd have thought my mother raised me better!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9105783

Well I went and cut down the cedar tree. I have no idea how to get the stump out, it is in there strong. I looked at some smaller trees and bushes to day but now that it is gone I dont know if I want another tree there. So I was wondering how about me getting the chicken wire out and putting another large Clem there?
Any thoughts?

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 1, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9105973

Yes, that would work nicely I think...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9106021

Agreed. I love it without the cedar.

Check PlantFiles for Mme. Julia Correvon.
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9106088

Wow, what a difference! From the thumbnails, I thought the photo with the cedar was the BACK of your house!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9106119

Well the chicken wire came out and a nice large Clem went in. I picked up Comtesse DE Bouchaud. Its amazing once you unwrap the plant that they have let grow all around that little trellis they come on, just how big the Clem is. 4ft clem on a 2 ft trellis. Yeh once I got that tree down I looked at the picture and thought no not another tree. It needs something low.

This message was edited May 1, 2012 5:56 PM
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9106130

Now that the pussy willow is filling out, I think that is enough height there. I have a columbine in that bed that reseeds every year all over the place. I have given them away, thrown them away. replanted them. None of my other 's do this. I have never seen one plants that reproduces like this one. Well except weeds.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9106189

So nice and neat! Glad you went with the clem.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2012
1:45 AM

Post #9106690

What a lovely entrance you have. Good work.
HopeSue
Laingsburg, MI

May 2, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9106913

warriorswisdomkathy, a bit off the subject of clematis vines, but what is the large fuzzy plant in the background of picture one? It is intriguing.

I also have a question about a clematis vine I have found growing in a fence enclosed part-shade bed amongst ferns. I noticed it last year but didn't have a chance to deal with it. It did not bloom. Should I replant it in full sun?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9106920

Welcome to our clematis chat, HopeSue!

Yes! Use a lot of manure, compost, bone meal and water it well. Cut it back to make it easier to move and try not to allow any fern roots in with the clematis roots. Once you dig it up you'll spot the difference in the roots of both plants.

Take photos and ask questions if you have any doubts.

Plant it deeply - 3". Mulch it well and, since it will be traumatic for the clem, baby it for a few weeks (keep it watered, keep it mulched and some Epsom salt would be a big help to form new shoots).
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9106925

Hi Everyone, I want to share this commercial growing site with you. It is intended for the folks that grow out small plants to larger wholesale plants. the selection is very large, so now I know what I might look for. The colors are not at all good but, I read again and again that clems. do not photograph well (neither do I!) They have a number of hints and comments again aimed at the industry but interesting! Lee

http://www.springvalleygreenhouse.com/Documents/SPRING_VALLEY-2012.pdf
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9106975

Greenside, thanks for the link. Colors are quite good on my monitor. Unfortunately SVG is nowhere close to Spring Valley, NY (about 45 minutes from here). The best part of the catalogue are the icons. I never knew clematis could be used as a cut flower. The only ones I have put in water were those broken off by accident. The best part is that clematis blooms often look like a silk flower.

Despite lots of big buds, no blooms so far. As my tree peonies are just opening, I think a lot of early sprouting and growth have been stablilized by the cooler April weather, so I'm not sure what to make of it. Somehow, everything looks happy.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 2, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9106987

I don't have any clems blooming yet, either, Cathy...just buds...
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9107020

Since the Clem I just bought is group 3, should I trim it back now to get stonger growth?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9107119

Thanks for the informative site, Lee. The photo of that greenhouse interior and thousands of clematises was inspiring. I agree that colors were way off on many - The President and Prince Philip were definitely not accurate.

Marcia - the clem's are great in arrangements though I prefer just a few clem's and not other flowers to detract from their beauty.

Marcia and Marilyn - loads of buds here but they are struggling to open. With our current cold and nasty weather I think it will take a day or two of sunshine and warmth to get them to open. Pictured are the buds on Liberation.

Marie - yes, trim it back and give it the Epsom Salt drink. Did you ever find the manure?

Thumbnail by pirl

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9107155

They only had some small bags, but I got 2 of them to start. She said they were getting in more of the large bags later. Thanks I will get it cut back to half.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 2, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9107427

Can't wait to see Liberation blooming!
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9107460

Hi Everyone,
Cathy, Yes some Clematis flowers make great cut flowers including my favorite of all c. 'Henryi,' a great white. I am also showing a photo. of c.'Polish Spirit' with a few drop dead orange lilies in a frog. I did it for a friends Birthday party and everyone thought it was grand. I used a frog.I never thought about monitor quality affecting the color quality, that sure makes sense!
Everyone- I believe Spring Valley site said they are cleaning up many clems. with tissue culture. If that is so we should have less issue with ' Clematis wilt' with the early Lanuginosa crosses ,such as c. 'Jackmanni'. Perhaps other clematis that have been propagated from single plants may possibly even more vigorous. I have nothing except my amateur observations of other plants in other genera but I and others think we have seen increased vigor from cloning.
Carolynn- Here is a pic. I took of a c.'Pillu' I bought at the Big Flats mall Lowe's store yesterday. I paid $16.95 for it bit it is well grown, lots of stems , has great roots and looks roaring to go!! Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9107559

Same here, Marilyn. A few others opened today!

Nice arrangement! Love those bold colors.

I've never had any problems with clematis wilt for those in full sun and only a few for those that don't get anywhere near full sun. I'm going to spread an anti-fungal powder (that sports guys use) to see if I can win the war but I should have done it before all these rainy and dank days. It was more fun to be out gardening in March than now.

Love that Piilu! I have two of them and I really like everything about that plant.

Saw a huge clematis (pink but I forgot the name already) at a shop today. I'm hoping it's gone if I go back tomorrow. It was really glorious and trained somewhat like a clematis "tree" would be. Someone, please help me out and go buy it before I do.

Here's Nelly Moser's (first bloom today) trying to get chummy with Omoshiro:

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 2, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9107679

Nelly's looking very nice! I also like the clem that Lee bought...and the purple & orange was the combo my DIL chose for her wedding flowers...
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9107942

Lee, your arrangement is quite striking!!!! Your friends are lucky to have you.

Arlene, I'm glad to see your Nelly Moser blooming. It's going to be a great spring for you. Please send some of that cool rainy weather back down south, we need it :~)

Here are some blooms from the garden today. Crystal Fountain has made it to the top of the trellis in a very short period of time, and on the opposite side of the fireplace is the bleeding heart vine, Dicentra scandens. I love this vine, I think the heart shape flowers in clusters are adorable. I got it from Select Seeds a few years ago, this is it's 3rd spring

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9107951

Patricia Ann Fretwell continues to send out singles, Grrrrr!!!! Just kidding, I'm still waiting for the double blooms. Maybe next year.

Pink Champagne continues to do well, I can't believe this vine is only a year old. The lily next to it is trumpet Pink Perfection, which is budding up, I hope I get to see them bloom together. Annette

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2012
1:41 AM

Post #9108088

Lee

Your Piilu looks beautiful. I have mine from last year in it's original pot. I heeled the whole thing in last winter. Now I just need to figure out where to put it! I am thinking about going back to having a clem in a big pot on my deck, but not sure what else I would put into the container.

Annette - how long have you have Patricia? Do you have others that are double and bloom as doubles? I know some places in the south, that is an issue. Jeanne whom really was that clematis person here years ago couldn't get the double flowers on her clematis, but she may also have been in a warmer zone than you are in.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9108132

Hey Carolyn, PAF was planted last spring. I have Josephine that blooms double with no problems. Annette
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9108140

Seeing that yellow vine , reminds me of the Yellow Rhododendron that I saw the other day. I almost kissed and hugged the plant it was so pretty.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 3, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9108221

I've never seen a bleeding heart vine before...so pretty.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9108347

Love that dicentra scandens, Annette. Your clem's are wonderful, as always. I have no idea why PAF won't bloom double. That may be a factor with heat or something that remains a mystery.

Marie - I saw a yellow rhododendron a few years ago, 'Capistrano', and still wish I had bought it then, though it's widely available now.

Thumbnail by pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9108417

Just beautiful Pirl.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9108443

Thanks, Jo Ann.

Yesterday Lemon Chiffon finally had a good opening, as opposed to the first flower. They really look better in sunshine but it's been dank/rainy/miserable here. I wore my winter jacket and scarf while I was out yesterday.

Thumbnail by pirl

koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9108467

Pirl, just you wait. It was dank/rainy/miserable here yesterday until about 3pm when it cleared and the temp shot up to 85 degrees...we tied a record. It's already almost 80 here now.

Crazy weather.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9108640

No choice but to wait it out as I sit here with a winter turtleneck and still not feeling warm.

Ditto to crazy weather, Katherine.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9108670

Please join us over here at the new thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1256007/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Clematis Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vine fence barrykooda 48 Sep 4, 2009 1:59 PM
Nelly Moser up a crabapple hczone6 11 Mar 29, 2008 3:43 AM
clematis in a pot? anastatia 17 Nov 19, 2010 8:13 AM
Clematis Gardennuttz 7 May 30, 2008 1:01 PM
What are some of your best Clematis? bluegrassmom 69 Dec 28, 2009 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America