Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Who can pass a seed rack without buying seeds?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 90, Views: 653
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9080755

Evidently I can't 'cause these three jumped into my cart yesterday!

Kentucky Wonder pole beans: now that my neighbor has put in all the 8ft supports I purchased in December, I decided to add these to the same row as bush beans.

Detroit Dark Red beet: I'm planning a Winter garden area for the first time so decided to add these.

Snowball Y Cauliflower: I've never tried growing cauliflower, so this will be a new adventure.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 13, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9080985

I can. The reason is because of the varieties they put on the rack. The ones you listed are all old fashioned ones that are very cheap. The Snowball cauliflower is only $4.25 for 1 ounce, 10000 seeds, at my supplier. How many seeds are in a pack from a rack?

Much more fun looking at all the pretty pictures on the internet catalogs. Then pick a superior variety to plant.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9080987

I can. Well mostly because I dont let myself go in that department. LOL But also because I wont buy seeds from just any company. I have a few Companies I trust, and this one English Lady...Dmail me if your looking for anymore seeds for your Winter Garden. My summer garden always seems to kick into Over Drive when I should be planting out my Fall/winter stuff.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9081001

Actually did it today at Lowe's, only because I was looking for insecticide and weed killer...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9081015

What did you buy? If I brought 1 more seed into the house my family would kill me. My whole kitchen table is covered...
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9081077

Only because I have almost all the varieties already, but I still look :-)

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9081175

I bought some kale at a garden supply place Tuesday, but only because the seed packet of the Lacinato Kale that I had ordered had very few seeds in it, so I needed more...Mostly I buy online because the choices are so much better.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9081198

I cant go past one without looking, but mostly i dont buy.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9081227

Like others, I can pass by the standard racks of stuff but my hydro store?? Well that's a cat of a different stripe. Those guys only buy seed from Seeds of Change and Baker Creek Seed company. The rack pulls me in like a magent.

Seeds of Change must have been last year, everything I've picked up lately are Baker Creek: Grandpa Otts Morning Glory; Emerald Okra (2 packs); Genovese Basil (2 packs - for some strange reason!!); Armenian cukes (
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9081229

I look for local varieties or those that do well in my area. There are a couple of feed or hardware stores in town that carry mostly seeds for local gardens. If I see anything I want to try I do buy. I got a bag of 500 cantalope seeds this past Jan for $14.95 less 20% (hardware store was having a promotion day for Husqvarna and some gun company or other). Seeds are from a very reputable company. I thought that was an awsome buy and we will be rolling in cantalope this summer! Even a common variety tastes way better coming from your own garden ☺!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9081238

Oh, I forgot to mention they gave DH a free hat with that!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 13, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9081345

You can never pass up a free hat!

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9081471

I always have to look. There are a few things that I buy off the rack, but not many. I do get ideas about things to order, though.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

April 13, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9081504

I believe that it is THE LAW to buy when you go by...!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9082056

In response to this threads title, I think I've managed once in five or six years to do that.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9082367

CountryGardens - the seeds were $1.99 and are from "Southern Exposure Seed Exchange." The cauliflower pkg states that there are 600 seeds.

Most of my othere seeds this year were purchased from Johnny's. I only picked up these three because I decided to expand the garden this fall.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9082719

"I only picked up these three because"...LOL, Bee, haven't we all said that.

Seeds are about the only thing interesting in stores... I'm not explaining myself to nobody :0)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9082815

Forget how much I spent, look how much I saved. Hehe What are you going to do with 600 Cauliflower?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9082867

Hello, my name is Stephanie and I'm a seedaholic. I have a difficult time passing up a rack without WANTING to buy something. Usually my mind tells me no and I obey. I occasionally don't listen, though.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9083168

The good thing for me is that I usually pass the same seed racks so I know what's on them.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9083275

I bought several packs today, but thats because Im gearing up for my Fall garden. Otherwise, I usually stop and 'dream', but never buy because I have such limited space to plant a garden (currently working on a SFG with 2 - 4'x6' boxes). Oh how I envy those with at least an acre of yard for which to garden!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9083372

You guys/gals are a hoot!

Quoting:What are you going to do with 600 Cauliflower?

I'll think of something :-)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 15, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9083586

Cauliflower keep forever, so if you plant 20 a year, you have enough for 30 years! Only 6 a year! WOW!

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2012
10:46 PM

Post #9084176

I think after about 10 years I'd get a LITTLE tired of cauliflower...Now tomatoes would be a different story...

This message was edited Apr 15, 2012 11:47 PM

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9084734

How does one keep cauliflower forever (other than freezing it)? Not that I want to keep it forever, but it would be nice to know how to extend its keeping qualities.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 16, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9084996

I meant the seed.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9085013

Quoting:I meant the seed.

LOL - sorry (duh) I should have realized that!

Actually, that's good to know. Thanks, CountryGardens. :-)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9085550

Ohhh bee...LOL

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2012
10:39 PM

Post #9085622

It must be past somebody's nap time...LOL...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9085734

Quoting: Who can pass a seed rack without buying seeds?
I guess I can. I stood in front of two different seed racks this past weekend. Read them from one end to the other, sighed and walked away empty handed. DH was impressed.
All the seeds are just so common. I keep looking for new, different, unusual, exotic.

The only seed rack impulse buy I recall making was rainbow chard a year or two ago. I like chard but the photo on that package would jump out at me everytime I passed it. Good marketing I guess. Kristi

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 17, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9085745

Rainbow Chard is very good. Customers at our market love it. We pick it small & bag it instead of the big stalks in a bunch. Lots of people use it in salad.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9085792

I agree, it is good. Do you remember that small package I mentioned. That photo was pure marketing genius!
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

April 17, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9086694

wow, I am in awe of all who have declared such discipline! Truly! I get all caught up in possibilities...and the remembrances of certain seeds in my youth...and look at all those new types! By the way, anyone have mashed, baked cauliflower? DELICIOUS.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9086776

Gracye ~ I have to admit, my willpower fades when I shop the seed catalogues or go online seed shopping, I can assure you. LOL I guess that is from childhood days that I love the catalogues.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

April 17, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9086834

My BEST Christmas gift? A new Burpee Seed Catalog and a quiet, hot bath...ah! Now, that is living! LOL!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9086854

That I understand! Far better than being jostled about in front of the seed racks and waiting in the long checkout lines too.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2012
10:51 PM

Post #9087069

Walked past today and picked up three, was really looking for borage,picked up german chamomile, amd red robin mums, didn't get the borage though,Sold out.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9087221

Graceye -
Quoting:anyone have mashed, baked cauliflower?

Don't leave us in suspense - how do you make it?
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9088264

I can pass by without buying but I can't pass by without looking. I have less and less set aside for seeds this year.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2012
11:36 PM

Post #9088433

Well, it was all good until yesterday, was at Lowe's and found some of the "GrowUm's" green houses for kids. We bought one for our grand daughter about Feb. while shopping. She loved it and this weekend we'll transplant our, excuse me, her plants into big pots. Yesterday, there was a rack that had 2 boxes of these GH's that were on clearance for a $1 each, GREAT!!!

Went back today and the rack was gone. Someone said, "Let's check the dumpster, they probably got thrown away." Okay, dumpster dive, find 1 empty "GrowUm's", good news, got about 10 empty 2.5 gal. pots they were throwing away.. Oh well.. Going to check out the girl says, "Let me check one more place," and comes back about a minute later, "Found them!!" Super... Haggle a little bit, hey, they were going to the garbage.. Instead of a $1, paid .50 each and bought 10 of them, and spent less than what we paid for the 1 in Feb.

Persistence, baby, persistence... She's gonna love 'em when we use them this fall.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9088569

kevcarr59 - Congratulations on your persistence! My hubby is into "dumpster diving" but I'd be mortified to do so incase someone saw me!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9089089

I've picked up pots at the dump! The guy next to us was throwing away a huge amount of pots I brought what I wanted home. I've been accused of dumpster diving I never gave a thought to somebody seeing me.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9089133

1lisac, I think it's great when people can salvage something from a dumpster or dump. Imagine how many usable items are carelessly tossed into a dumpster that someone could actually use. That's why I like craigslist and freecycle :-)
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

April 21, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9091621

Mashed Cauliflower - for the best taste, cut it up, throw it into one of those Pyrex clear glass roundish casseroles, put a bit of water in the bottom. You'll probably need to leave the top off as you should have a heaping bunch. Throw the whole thing into a HOT oven (425 should work), and let it bake for a LONG time, I'd say about an hour, then poke into it in different places to see if it's tender.
When it's VERY tender, it should be brown or even a bit burnt on top. GOOD! Take it out of the oven, bring out your hand masher and have at it. You can add milk, or cream or shredded cheese...and salt and pepper. In other words, fix it like you do for mashed potatoes. If you want it smoother, get out your hand mixer. I use my wand-type mixer. WOW. You won't ever fix it any other way. You can even get creative with types of cheeses and add a bit (not much) of garlic powder or better still, bake some fresh garlic in the oven right alongside the cauliflower. VOILA!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9091666

Gracye - thanks for the recipe. Sounds simple enough.
seran72
Bozeman, MT

April 28, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9102015

I intentionally left my wallet in the car the last time I went to our local nursery, as I was just there to check out their bare root stock. I walked in and froze at the sight of those seed racks. I rolled my eyes, shook my head in disgust and turned to walk back out. One of the workers saw me and started to ask if anything was wrong. I said "no I'm just going back out to get my wallet because I was crazy to think I'd be leaving here without any seeds." One of my friends says I have a problem. :-)
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9102207

I went to a grocery store yesterday that I don't normally goto. I went there specifically to get Maltex, a cooked cereal I like and can get in no other store around here. Walking through the store I came across the dried bean section, where they had yellow eye beans. A puond of then followed me home, some of which I'll plant.
rwaterspf1
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9102261

I have never bought seeds from a rack but I am an internet seed junky. I went to the baker creek website the other day to replace some okra seed and by the time I was done perusing the bulk seeds I had to retire my shoebox for seed storage and get a rubbermaid tub lol. Why get a packet of 30 seeds for $2
when I can get a quarter pound for $8? (now where am I gonna plant a quarter pound of okra)

-Vaughn

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9102605

I did it!

Daughter and I were in Target yesterday to purchase a gift for a baby shower and I passed by the seed rack! I did LOOK but said to myself: "Self - you don't have room to grow the seedlings you already have, so why are you looking?"

I'm still wondering if they had something I should have purchased...

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9103249

Thanks Vaughn, you JUST had to put Baker Creek website up there..LOL... Spent $30 for next years garden...
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9103534

My name is cue_chik and I am a seed addict (hangs head in shame). I can't pass up those shiny green towers of glory, filled with all those beautiful packets of vegetable and flower seed. They seem to whisper "pick me, pick me! You don't have a pack of seeds like ME at home!". Even though I have limited space with the backyard barely big enough to hold two patio chairs, a BBQ grill and a Birdbath, I probably have enough seed to start my own 40 acre vegetable farm, yet I continue to heed the call of those little packets of love every time I walk by. I justify my purchases with the reasoning only a mad-woman could conjure - "Seeds are cheap, and it's for the good of all those that dwell within my household!" nevermind the fact that the 'household' refuse to eat half the veggies I have collected and grown.

Will it ever end? Can I be cured? No one rally knows... how it started or even why, all they know is that mom hoards her seeds like Gollum hoards The One Ring.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9103639

cue_chik, do not hang head in shame! Hold it high, chin up. I feel spontaneous seed purchasing is a statement in hope and optimism. Yes, we can grow our own food/flowers. And from seed, too!
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9103646

If only I owned my own land... alot of it!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9103812

cue_chik - I agree with terry - hold your head up high!

Maybe you could find a community garden in your area where you could sow those seeds to your heart's content?

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9104740

>> mom hoards her seeds like Gollum hoards The One Ring.

Me, too! Precious, Precious!!

I call it "Obsessive Seed Disorder" or O. Seed D.

I wish I had more land ... AND more time ... AND more sun ... AND more boxes for seeds.

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA
Click an image for an enlarged view.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9104780

I HAVE the land. So do the deer, snakes , bugs, raccoons, skunks,fox, rabbits...well you get the picture.
Vaughn-I bought squash and greens blends in bulk from BC for just that reason. Maybe one year we can all go in together and buy seeds in bulk and divide them up? It sounds like a good idea anyway. Lol

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9104793

I'd sign up for that ... I have a lot of shareable Asian greens (Brassicas) lke Bok Choy already.

And carrots and radishes.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9104878

2-3 yrs ago I bought 3types of summer squash for a Market Order, I didn't need all those seeds but it was cheaper then buying what I needed to fill the order. I'll do a germination test (they grew last year). I might just be on to something but I don't think im the one to organize it. I can't even organize my own seeds. Lol
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9105312

You're supposed to organize seeds? Not place them in plastic bags and pile them in a drawer, pull them all out New Year's Day and line them up on the kitchen counter discovering gems and "Aha's" along the way? =8~))

Wellllll, slap me silly! I've got the label maker, now I just need to organize. LOL! I really do need to get more organized. Can't use the move as an excuse much longer...

I may just discover I have room for more seeds.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9105412

My kitchen table is still covered in seed packets. I need to get them put away, but Ive been working in the garden!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9105428

I'm a seed collector/hoarder but every few seasons I loosen my grip and join a big swap to clean house. Not long after joining DG and getting back into planting seeds I soon had a huge shoe box full of seeds. I finally decided to start fresh and sent them all to one lady in Colorado. I'm up to about 3 storage boxes now and two small plastic pencil boxes.

I skipped most of the seeds from work (w/mart) but they had a Seeds of Change rack for veggies and I caved. Their packaging is awesome and resealable so I like that. I started out writing to companies for catalogs before I got a pc and that was bad enough but now with GW and all the great places everyone here recommends I'm finding it harder to keep from gathering more:lol:
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

May 1, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9106367

Speaking for many ex-hippie/Artist types, I admit being romanced rather easily by the beautiful packaging. But, one thing - I SWEAR I remember back in the day that there were more seeds per package, and that the count was up close and personal. I REALLY dislike the new non-fessing-ability of the seed companies...you know?

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9106399

>> I admit being romanced rather easily by the beautiful packaging.

TOTALLY! I may not be able to GROW soemthing that pretty even after buying the seeds, but it won't stop me from trying!

>> there were more seeds per package

I try to buy from vendors like Hazards that give you a good size, and accurate count. Tainong and Kitazawa are golod for Asian crop seeds. Territorial has some big packs, but they cost more than the tiny ones.

I think that the way to save is to buy big packets, then split them up and share. Then the money goes to the Post Office!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9106611

Many people only want a few seeds, now none of us would understand that lol. But there is a company that sells small packets for .99 on line. The catalog is down stairs and I'm not getting it now! Anyway, I have seed packets everywhere scattered through out the house. Argh..

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9106768

I like Pinetree because they don't give you excessive numbers of seeds in their packages and therefore don't charge as much as some other companies. But I ordered some fava bean and lima bean seeds from Landreth's and was amazed at how few seeds there were in each packet. It's a good thing I ordered two of each; that gave me enough for only a single row of about fifteen feet each. I had planned double rows...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9106775

I guess I am the oddball here. I prefer to seed shop online (and catalogues) so I can research the seeds/plants before I buy.

But y'all have me curious. I know many of you insist on heirlooms but do you not save your seeds for the next years' crop? If you do so, it will improve the crops that are best suited to your growing conditions rather than just buying new and more seeds.

Just curious... Kristi

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 2, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9106831

I do the growing. I'll let an expert come up with the new varieties. Most of the time things recommended for my area work real good.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9106895

For the large scale that you grow, I can understand that.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9107034

Pinetree is the small packet Co I was thinking of...

Bernie-Texas is a huge state and nobody can seem to agree on what grows here, lol. Its a lot of micro climates and trial and error.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 2, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9107053

We experiment every year. That's why we use on line ordering. Way more information.
Tried a new company this year, Neseed.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9107082

Personally, I'd prefer to get more seeds in the packet and usually buy one size up. That way, if something really works for me, I can plant more right away. Also, I can share or save some seeds for next year or fall. I'm not a seed saver, but maybe some day when I'm "retired".

I've found that Willhite's a really nice, full packet. And, yes, I do think the amount of the seeds in the packets have really gone down with some of the seed vendors. I find it anoying unless I've ordered the sampler packet.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9107088

Kristi, as a seed saver, I think of my seed stash as money account, to withdraw, add to, and a percent saved :0)

I thought I'd pass along an experience concerning heirlooms. My first year really getting into veggies, I made a huge expensive purchase from Baker's. I researched all the seeds, found the ones that would do well in my area. Only, to find the same seeds at my local farm supply. Three dollars would buy me a packet from Baker's, while the same three dollars would buy me a pound of the same seed at the feed store.

I still support Baker's, I like their business principles. But in tight times, I thought some people might need another option. Heirloom doesn't always mean 'rare'.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9107304

>> the same seeds at my local farm supply

I agree! If a local co-op or "feed store" carries a variety, that's a strong reccomendation for it being suited to local varieties. And you don';t pay postage, which helps if you're buying a pound of beans or a cover crop.

Terri, thanks for the tip about Willhite Seeds. They seem to have GREAT prices and many articles. Johnnies, Hazzards and Territorial used to be my favorites for crop seeds, but now I'm going to compare them with Willhite.

http://www.willhiteseed.com/PlantingGuide.php

http://www.willhiteseed.com/articles.php

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9107565

I save a lot of seeds from year to year, but this spring some of my peppers never germinated; I'm not sure why. I contacted the person I got them from and he's going to send me a few more. If they sprout I'll have to read up on how best to save pepper seeds. Some of my saved seeds germinated, but my favorite variety didn't.

I always save tomato seeds, bean seeds, and pea seeds.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9108326

Ah, Rick. I should have been clearer. Our co-op sells prepackaged seeds by the pound, but two of our other feed stores sell 'by weight'. These are small independent type feed stores, not the chain Tractor Supply (which has a lousy seed and fertilizer selection.IMO).

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9108496

greenhouse_gal - my own saved "California Wonder" pepper seeds didn't sprout either. Fortunately, I purchased some "Ace" from Johnny's and DG members had sent me some that did.

I've had to replant twice already because slugs and sow bugs think our garden is their very own all-you-can-eat smorgasbord!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9108806

>> Our co-op sells prepackaged seeds by the pound

Other than peas and beans, that would be too m uc h for me. And even peas and beans, I would be buying mostly for the "New Bee Stash".

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9109717

Diatomaceous earth will stop slugs and sowbugs but you have to be careful not to breathe it when applying it. They attacked my beans last year, for the first time ever!
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

May 4, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9110742

Podster! Where's the fun in saving seeds? I mean, where's the PRETTY, PRECIOUS packaging, where's the mighty dilemma of all those packages and what goes with what... yep, you are DEFINATELY (laughing very hard here) the oddball here, but then, by the posts, I'd say we're ALL oddballs!

HoneybeeNC - is THAT why my carrots and marigold seedlings up and disappeared on me one day?

Greenhouse-gal - will Diatomaceous Earth hurt plants? We used to throw it around horse stalls when mucking out... with abandon, I'd add.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9110751

Grayce ~ no offense taken, I've lived with my idiosyncrasies for years. LOL

Sometimes things just make me go HUH? Kristi

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9110823

Grayce, no, it won't hurt plants at all; just critters with soft bodies. Not good for lungs, though.

I can't figure out why my peppers didn't germinate; I just read up on saving pepper seed and I did it correctly. And I can't buy these seeds; they're from a friend in France who got the seeds from a pepper he bought in a market in Hungary...They were nice long sweet peppers, too, and my favorites. I hope he sends me some more!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
10:28 PM

Post #9111045

I do save pepper seeds its just so easy to buy seeds and Im not very patient, or organized.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9111343

I save seeds as well as buying. I tend not to care for "mixes" of colors (I'm more a flower person than edibles as far as my garden goes) so I pick single color packs of seeds and keep seeds from them. I also snatch seeds when I'm out and about--garden centers, commercial plantings, even the zoo:lol: I like options=)

I also like some of the package artwork even when the seeds may be duds. I still get the Shumway catalog and love the drawn pictures in it and Renee's Garden has some beautiful artwork on their seeds packages.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9112344

Grayce -
Quoting:is THAT why my carrots and marigold seedlings up and disappeared on me one day?

Probably! It's amazing how much fodder these pests can consume in one night.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9112949

I bought two 6 inch containers of curly parsley-potted up and by the following afternoon when I got home from work, all I had was inch high stems on both plants. Culprits were a pair of big fat lime green caterpillars. This happened to me two years in a row so I sort of gave up on parsley:lol:

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9113096

I'll bet the caterpillars made beautiful butterflies, but I know that's not what you bought the parsley for...
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9113181

Betting they did too:) Eh, I can always snatch up some at the grocery store:lol: I think I just need to sow my own in bulk and have enough for all of us:)

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9113612

Those caterpillars love my fennel, too. DH takes them off, but I figure I have enough to share...

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9114101

Black wasps will feed caterpillars to their young. Hmm... I haven't seen any wasps yet this year.

I've seen a couple of bumblebees, so that's a good thing.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9117429

I haven't seen many wasp this year, I'm usually plagued with them, but let them thrive to keep all the spiders and cats in check. Where could they have gone? weird.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

May 9, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9117492

Went into my sister's house today with my mom. We'd gotten her some groceries and wanted to get them to her. Mom said that she wasn't into planting much, but there, on the counter were three seed packets. HA! Even non-gardeners get bitten by the bug!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America