-
AuthorContent
daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9080937

I have a honeysuckle planted in a corner near my back sliding door. What that means for the plant is that it is shaded after 12 or 1 o'clock. It only flowered from February through mid march. Is that normal? Do they like a lot of fertilizer?
My folks have one in their yard in San Diego. While I was growing up, I seem to remember it flowering year around. I know memories are not always as accurate as we sometimes think(bummer). Also, theirs had been in the ground for decades. Mine was planted from a five gallon about a year ago.

As is often the case, is time the answer? Will it flower more as it becomes more established? I just love watching the hummers through the window.

Thanks in advance, David
daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9081468

I just did some research of my own and found that summer is about the only time they don't flower. Hahaha, go figure.

David
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9081621

I'd give it some time, many things take a few years to get going. There's a saying "first year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap" which often applies. Some plants take a little more or less time than that to get to leaping but since you just planted it a year ago I'd definitely give it more time. But...your climate is not quite as mild as SoCal so yours may not have as long a bloom period as the one you remember growing up. I had one at my old house about 20 miles from here which was nicely established but really only bloomed in late summer and fall, definitely not year round.
daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9081713

Thanks ecrane3. I'll remember the saying. Makes sense. I'm sure my dad didn't give his any special fert. Though it was bordered on one side by a lawn, so it did get some N. We are currently renting, and not planning on moving any time soon. Hopefully we're still here when it's leaping. Unless we are in our own house. In which case I'll start over again:) A saying I herd once was "The best time to plant a tree is 10 years ago. The second best is today."

Thanks again, David

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9100490

late to the party here but in florida a Cape Honeysuckle (Tecoma) only flowers in late fall through early spring, if that much. we have so much sand here that it is best to fertilize once in a while, but this plant seems to do well on its own regardless.
daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9102684

We have something called caliche here. It doesn't drain very well. When planting, I dug a descent sized hole and mixed in some amendments. I gave it some Osmocoat 10-10-10 after my last posting. It seems to be doing well. It's getting allot of new growth right now. It's also branching right below last years spent flowers. I can just imagine all this new growth with flowers! It's going to be beautiful! And with hummers being here year around, they will have lots to eat. :)

David

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America