Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: Tiny Holes in leaves

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 10, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9081025

I just noticed some small holes in the leaves on a few of my seedling tomato and pepper plants. These are on my deck hardening off. Im thinking worms but Im not sure. They arent bad and are very random. The plants look great otherwise so Im not concerned, just curious..

Ive seen similar damage on Cole crops late in the season but dont recall this on tomato and pepper plants. THANX

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9081038

I've also noticed small holes in some of my mater plants that are already out in the garden. Looking for an insecticide to spray. Did notice a small green caterpillar on one of Momma's Roma Tomato plants last week. It was very small, about 3/8" long and very thin, and I wouldn't have seen it but for the movement, as it's color was virtually the same as the leaf.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9081046

Could be a baby horn worm or a cabbage lopper. These arent even in the ground, and they are for a large market order so they need to look good. So far Im good on that end just curious. I havent seen anything on them at all.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9081204

I'm on my phone, so browsing is harder...don't want to look up the possibilities. Could it be flea beetles? I've also seen some potato beetles munching around my tomatoes. A light dusting with Sevin seems to have resolved the issue.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9081637

David are you driving? lol I dont know what flea beetle damage looks like. Guess I i can google it. Im wondering because they are up on the deck, makes me think that something flew up there. Whatever it is didnt get my Swiss Chard that Ive had in containers all winter. These holes are in the middle of the leaves, not the edges. Only on a few plants.

These plants are Organic so I cant use anything on them or I would, whatever was getting them seems to have moved along, anyway. I was afraid that after such a mild winter we would have bug issues so Im not surprised.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9081762

Everyone I've talked to about gardening has said that this year we're going to have a lot of pest problems in the garden with the mild, wet winter we had in Central Texas. IINM, last year we had something like 70+ consecutive hours below freezing, and this year I think we only had a few nights below 32*.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9082118

We get colder up here, a lot considering we arent that far apart. We had many nites below freezing but not near as much as the years before.

I think holes are from small worms. I cant find a thing and they dont seem to be getting any worse or speading.

If the wind doesnt do them in, nothing will. No, Im not bringing 15 flats in the house.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 16, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9084554

Flea beetles are horrible this year. We rarely have problems with them, but this year we are. They make little holes in the leaves of pepper, tomato, potato and other vegetables including leafy greens. Spinosad works well, but takes more than one application to get them completely under control. There are also a couple of other beetles I've noticed on the plants that had holes in the leaves, but more flea beetles than anything. You may never see the actual bug, they hop away when someone approaches. I found them when we were washing greens (commercial farm). They were floating in the water.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9084895

Whatever it is/was seems to be gone. These are not in ground yet, could it still be flea beetles?
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 17, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9085746

Not sure if flea beetles are transient, they do love the wild pink primroses that are blooming now. Did you look under the leaves for little tiny green worms? I've seen a few of those on tomato plants, not sure what kind of moth laid the eggs that made them.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9086006

Yes, I looked everywhere, but whatever it is/was doesnt seem to be around anymore. The damage on the peppers and tomotoes doesnt seem to be spreading. It was only on a few plants and they look fine otherwise.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America