Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Insecticide Choices...

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 72, Views: 664
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9081028

I've been looking for an insecticide for our veggie garden, and all the choices have me totally confused.

Inclined to go with Spectracide Triazicide, Malathion, or the Sevin dust or liquid concentrate.. They look to be the most broad-spectrum...

What do you find works good at a decent price.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9081154

You REALLY have to be careful in the edible garden-- Instead of trying to wipe out all the living things, try controlling some by hand picking or spraying homemade mixtures like liquid soap & hot sauce in water, etc. IMHO, I would never use Malathion on any food plant. Pyrethrins are fairly safe, but again- read the label.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9081162

And, uncontrolled, "blowing-in-the-wind" SEVIN dust will kill your bees!!!

Sounds like your gonna use a cannon to kill a flea...

Try some of these.
Ortho Garden Disease Control,
Bayer Complete Garden Spray,
Daconil (Bt?),
Garden Dust,
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9081199

Any insecticide you use will kill bees organic or not, its still a chemical insecticide. Darconil is for fungus wont help with bugs. Has nothing to do with Bt. The key is to apply when bees are not active and when its not windy. A disease Control Spray isnt an insecticide either. so its useless on bugs. I believe garden dust contains Sevin, not sure. Not sure about Bayer Complete either. Sevin comes in a liqued and I dont believe that blows. Still wondering why people think homemade mixtures are any less lethal to good bugs when they are still insecticides? Many of the things we add to the mixture are neither biodegradable or Organic. Pyrethrins usually do a good job.

My garden is Huge, it is simply not practical to hand pick everything, work full time and raise 2 kids. I wouldnt use anything as strong as Malathion on edibles but if I want to eat 1/2 of what I grow I have to use something that actually works with out having to spray it every few days and still put the good bugs in danger. I prefer to use a man made chemical rather(when necessary) then an organic one because I spray it sooo much less often that I feel I endanger the good bugs less. Last year I used Diazinon 1 time the whole season. It killed the bugs the first go around and never had to put the bees in harms way again.

Just follow the directions on ANYTHINg you choice and you should be fine.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9081201

I dont use any pesticides on my garden. too many poisons in the ground already.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9081209

I DO NOT use any chemical or pesticides in the garden either.
It took me a few years, but now I have predator bugs to kill the bad bugs ... or i will just find them and squeeze them.

You cannot be an "organic" gardener and still use bad stuff once in a while ... is like : you cannot be "just a little bit pregnant" ...
... this is my humble opinion ...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9081251

Drthor, where did anybody say they were organic? Must have missed that one. I dont consider Murphies Oil Soap Organic but if it works great. Nothing on GG list is Organic or an insecticide.

I try to use nothing man made or Organic because they are both Chemicals. But gardening in TX is a whole different thing then any place else Ive gardened. I know many people on DG that use synthetic Pesticides but we dmail because we are afraid to post. Guess thats still the best way.

I also believe he asked about these products, not our opinion on these products. Still looking for that Organic post drthor, cant seem to find it.

Like I said it also depends on the size of your garden and how much time you have. No matter how you do it IMHO homegrown veggies are always better for you then store bought. If Im going to garden and it comes between me and the bugs Im going to eat it not them.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9081272

Sorry, Kev,
I totally misread that you were looking for an INSECTICIDE. My bad. I'm like drthor, and try to control the beasties with other friendly predators, or handpicking to keep them under control.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9081276

I would advise against a broad spectrum pesticide. The key is to identify your enemy and catch them at their most vulnerable stage. You have to assess the dangers and use an appropriate and least damaging weapon. Carbaryl ( one brand name is Sevin) is very effective against beetles ( flea, Japanese, Mexican bean, Colorado potato, Harlequin). If these are not your problem then you would not use it. Pyrethins , pyrethoids and Rotenone also work fairly well. Remember a bee is an insect so anything that will kill insects kills bees as 1 Lilac stated. Only curcurbits ( melons, cucumbers squash) are insect pollinated so extra care must be taken with these. Biggest threat to Brassicas are the cabbage worm and cabbage looper. Bacillus thuringiensis Berliner is very effective and is a biological which makes some folks feel better about using it. Malathion is widely used for mosquitos, plum curculio, Oriental fruit moth, codling moth etc. Not of much use in a vegetable garden, but benign enough to aerial spray whole communities.

The Bayer complete Garden spray is Cyfluthrin , a pyrethoid . http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/carbaryl-dicrotophos/cyfluthrin-ext.html

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9081279

Thanks, Farmerdill!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 13, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9081339

Nothing to add other than being in Minnesota makes it a lot easier. Bugs don't do well at -20, so they have to fly in from the south. Only big problem are cabbage worms. We use a regular schedule of spraying with BT. Lots of birds around here, too. They do a good job on bugs. We have erosion control strips that are planted to Alfalfa, wild flowers & flowering shrubs. All draw birds & good bugs.
Thought of this while my pics were loading. Has anyone watched Lightning Bugs eat Aphids ? It is a sight to behold!

This message was edited Apr 13, 2012 4:29 PM

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click an image for an enlarged view.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9081350

GG-What did you think they were looking for? Just curious?

Thank you so much Farmerdill-Sevin Does work on pillbugs and I only used it one time. Is there anyway FD that you could provide a link or the info so we know which type of product works best for which type of pest. I have to admit if I use anything its usually Neem Oil for Spider Mites. Yes, its Organic. But I try not to use anything unless I see I problem. I will spray for Thrips because they carry the TSWV.

Now Im Lilac, I like that. : )
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9081414

There is very little available to home gardeners. In my case thrips are so difficult to control, That I rely on TSWV resistant varieties. There are so few vegetable growers in this area that the really murderous insects like Colorado Potato beetles, Japanese beetles, even flea beetles are relatively rare so I rarely have to use insecticides other than Bt. on Brassicas. I do keep Carbaryl for infestations of Harlequins on the brassicas and cucumber beetles. Major pests like the pickle worm, I have learned to work around as they are migratory. Very early and very late cucurbits escape their devastation. Squash bugs just laugh off most common insecticides. Santitation ( burying all garden debris) usually keeps them in check as they overwinter in the soil and they love cover.

http://www.growingproduce.com/video/c:149/ipm/970/?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=AVG eNews April 12 2012 (1)&utm_content= http://www.growingproduce.com/crop-protection/insect-control
My copy of the Crop Protection Handbook is a few years old, Expensive but a great reference. http://www.meistermedia.com/handbook/

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9081465

Kevin,

Beetles are my primary pest. I control them with Sevin dust and and applicator called the Dustin Mizer. I apply at dawn, before the bees are active and when the dew will cause the dust to adhere to the plants. That alllows me to effectively treat without leaving everything drowned in powder. Sevin spray, applied when bees are away also works well.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

April 13, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9081502

I just tried to buy the old tried & true Sevin dust at a local old-timer's nursery, and was told that they do not carry it anymore. Reason? "It isn't something that you should get into your lungs." Has anyone else heard this?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9081522

People have misused dusts. No dust is good for your lungs, but properly applied they are safe enough.You should wear a dust mask with any dust application. Government is trying hard to protect us from our own stupidity. Most places use to carry Hudson dust applicators but I have not seen one in years. Still available on the internet tho. Spreading wood ashes or ground limestone puts a lot of particles in the air.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2012
10:45 PM

Post #9081758

Thank you all for your insight and comments. Last year the wife was pretty adamant about using organics in the garden, so I have pretty much gone along but, to me, it seemed the organics just didn't work all that effectively. We went and bought a 1000 ladybugs from Natural Gardener in Austin. I'm thinking there may also have been a factor with the weather and drought we dealt with last year.

IMHO, it also seems that each organic is very specific for a certain insect, or in the case of fungicides, a certain disease. That's what I'm talking about with the term "broad-spectrum". Yes, the Triazicide and the Sevin kill a lot of things, but like some have said, you're not going to spray them every week or two, and yes, you can spot treat.

FD>> When I was researching at Lowe's, I was looking at the Bayer products, and I'm SURE they specified not for use in a vegetable garden. I think it was just Bayer Complete Insecticide, not Garden Insecticide, and I guess there is a big difference. That was the reason that Bayer products weren't mentioned in my original post, since I'm looking for garden pest control products. I have heard good things about Bayer products, but of course, everyone has an opinion and likes and dislikes about each product.

GG>>No problem... I've heard about the Daconil and was going to ask about it in a fungicide post. And what is Garden Dust?? Did a little search on here and have read some of the info, but will do it again, and get a better grasp of what's out here. BTW, what is (Bt?)??? A lot of people throw out initials and I've got no clue as to what they are... TSWV, for example... Probably have heard it talked about here, just not making the connection.

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9081827

Bt is Bacillus thuringiensis. I don't know what TSWV is either. and somewhere I just read IINM...no idea. Finally figured Lisa's ATM is at the moment, not something to do with a debit card. ;-)
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9081862

Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus (TSWV), is insect vectored ( thrips) and a major problem in this area. Daconil is one brand name for Chlorothalonil. also available as Ortho Max Garden Disease Control and others. http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/chloroth.htm Bayer Max Complete Insect dust is Permethrin , a pyrethoid http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/permethr.htm
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9081921

One has to live with it (TSWV) to know what it is but I had to chuckle at the ATM remark MaryMcP. That same thought crossed my peabrain.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9082087

To make it worse I cant find where I put ATM.,, Sh** Also, Im Liliac now,LOL

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9082823

OK..IINM>>> If I'm Not Mistaken...

GG>> Had the list of items I was curious from Lowe's. We were at HD today and found the Bayer Complete Garden Insecticide & the Garden Dust. And of course, I couldn't find the stuff I found at Lowe's on Friday...

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9082896

I know Bayer has a lot of products and many of them are systemic and not recommended for use on edibles, but evidently Kev. You found one? What is in Garden Dust?

My small garden is 1000 sq feet and the larger one is twice that big. I decided one yr. to let the cucumber beetles live their life only to find out part of their life cycle was eating the roots off my spinach and a few other plants. Argh..

I, like you Kev, have tried to go Organic, (prefer to use nothing) but I find it was like spitting into the wind. I know they are all chemicals. I find that if I can use a couple of products that I only have to apply 2-3 x a season that Im putting the good bugs in a lot less danger. Many of these insects carry diseases hate to loose plants when I could have killed the bug to begin with.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9083061

1lisac wrote: Drthor, where did anybody say they were organic? Must have missed that one. I dont consider Murphies Oil Soap Organic but if it works great. Nothing on GG list is Organic or an insecticide.

I try to use nothing man made or Organic because they are both Chemicals. But gardening in TX is a whole different thing then any place else Ive gardened. I know many people on DG that use synthetic Pesticides but we dmail because we are afraid to post. Guess thats still the best way.

I also believe he asked about these products, not our opinion on these products. Still looking for that Organic post drthor, cant seem to find it.

Like I said it also depends on the size of your garden and how much time you have. No matter how you do it IMHO homegrown veggies are always better for you then store bought. If Im going to garden and it comes between me and the bugs Im going to eat it not them.

I live in Louisiana, and like Texas, the various bugs think this place is heaven. For example, the fuzzy black caterpillars have been rampant this spring. I mean eating everything! If I sit in the garden for 1/2 hour, or even on my front porch, I can see them scurrying from one green plant to another. My first attack was with BT, did absolutely no good. Second attempt, was Safer Soap - no good. Finally, sevin dust that knocked them out. And you can't hand pick these things, cause they sting like fire and you have blisters for over a week, that are prone to infection. My DH has a sting on his leg right now that's showing signs of infection that he may have to go to the doctor for.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9083457

Lisa>> Kyle/Buda's become a real hot-spot now that we have a Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart Supercenter, and a HEB Plus. When I went to Home Depot found the Bayer Complete Garden items, Lowe's didn't have them, and HD also had the systemic items that you talked about. Lowe's didn't have the selection of Bayer products that HD did.

I think I'm gonna go with the Bayer Complete GARDEN Insecticide along with the Daconil as my fungicide. The GARDEN DUST that GymGirl was talking about is made by Bonide, I think, but I know for sure it's not a Bayer product. Just looked at it quickly so can't really say if it's a viable product.

I plan on getting the concentrates of the products so I can adjust the strength and amount as needed, using the gallon tank sprayer I've got. If I need a large quantity I also have a 3-gallon tank sprayer. I may pick up some Sevin as a back-up, just so they don't get used to the Bayer stuff... What do you specifically use??

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9083561

I use the Sevin 5% powder, but there is also a liquid concentrate
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9083623

To be honest I dont use much anymore bc I hit them hard when they first show and dont have to deal with their different life cycles thus different products. Like the time I let the cucumber beetles go not realizing at some point, in their life cycle, they eat the roots off other plants.The last thing I used was neem oil because Spider Mites are my biggest issue when its hot and dry.

I have a print out somewhere from the Williamson County Ag Agency that goes into alot of detail but I cant find it ATM. The only other bug I have had a real problem with are Pill Bugs eating my seedlings. I put Sevin Dust around each seedling one time, about 4 yrs ago and havent had to do it again. I have just found that if I let the bugs go and dont really take care of the issue eventually it gets to be completely out of control. I do have an all purpose garden spray that I ve used but I cant remember the name of the active ingredient. I do spray once or twice a season for thrips because they carry TSWV.

You kind of need to remember that when you plant a garden you are creating a "false niche" Another words those plants wouldnt be there if you didnt plant them and many of the pests wouldnt be there either, so some dont have any natural enemies.

Ill have to look up Garden Dust, it just doesnt sound like a Market name but a discription LOL

jomon-I think the worms you are talking about are Army Worms. They seem to be a real problem here too from what Ive heard. I havent seen them yet this year, if you go to to the Texas Forum you will see a thread about Cutworms but they turned out to be army worms. Which are larva for beetles, I think.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9083698

Lisa ~ armyworms don't sting/bite do they? We have a similar critter here that some call a stinging asp. It will feel like you are on fire where it brushed against you.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9083806

I dont know if they sting/bit or not. I didnt think so but I also thought the asp thing was white and I didnt know they came in droves. On that Tx Thread they are talking about army worms hanging on the outside of the house and in the house. The above post made me think of that and while asp came to mind Ive never heard of them being described like that.

Are there other Caterpillars that sting or bit? It sounds like a plague
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9083965

From Jomoncons' description, "... you can't hand pick these things, cause they sting like fire and you have blisters for over a week, that are prone to infection. " makes me wonder what the heck they are. I don't think those ones are the army worms.

Plagues are probably pretty descriptive from the sounds of this growing season... on the look out for tomato hornworms. Glad those buddies don't sting!

jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9084004

The caterpillars that I was talking about are the buck moth caterpillars. Here's an article about them. The article says they're purple, but they look black to me - although I don't get too close to them. And they eat all sorts of things, not just oak trees. However, folks here have learned not to walk under oak trees in the springtime. And that can be hard since we have lots & lots of oak trees!

http://www.nola.com/homegarden/index.ssf/2010/04/buck_moth_caterpillar_assault.html

And I know we also have a sort of spiny, green caterpillar that also stings like heck. That one's usually around in the late fall.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2012 8:24 PM

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9084141

I've used the hose-end sprayers before and just don't like the spray they put out, that's the main reason why I use the concentrate & a tank sprayer. Plus the fact that if I need just a plant or 2 to apply product, I can use a quart spray bottle, and not waste a lot by it dripping all over the ground.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9084397

Interesting article on the black caterpillar Jomoncon. It even looks wicked. The article suggested the same treatment that works for our stinging cats. An ice pack applied immediately is the best solution here. Good luck... it appears to be formidable.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 16, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9084551

Bt kills caterpillars, but they have to eat it and it degrades quickly so may take more than one application. Spinosad works on thrips, is OMRI approved but is harmful to bees so spray late in the evening when bees are not active. I, like Farmerdill, have gone to more resistant varieties so spraying is not needed as much. I had a huge infestation of aphids on kale, potatoes and arugula. The ladybugs took a couple of weeks but completely killed all aphids with no spraying.

The Bonide dust can be used as a spray also, contains pyrethrin, copper and sulphur. It is broad spectrum and will kill good bugs as well as bad. It CANNOT be used on curcurbits, they do not like copper/sulphur on their leaves and will be killed or stunted permanently.

We fight SVBs, pickle worms, cabbage moths, southern white butterfly caterpillars (striped cats that eat brassicas, lettuce, greens, nasturtiums, etc), leaf footed bugs (soldier beetles are a good predator) which can only be killed in first or second instar, stink bugs, harlequin bugs, aphids of all kinds, mites, scale, you get the picture! We are in a high agriculture area so lots of bugs. Thankfully we do not have japanese beetles or potato beetles.

Snails and pillbugs are the bane of my garden. I cannot seem to get rid of them at all. My garden is clean, no debris and we are in a dry area, but they are everywhere. I can't use spinosad granules because they also kill bugs I want to keep.

Bayer has a spray/drench that is imidicloprid. It is systemic, can only be used one time per crop and lasts about 6-12 weeks. There is a 3 week wait to harvest. I don't use it, but other farmers in the area do. Some of the Bayer products also contain flouramite (spelling), a fungicide that is NOT approved for garden use, along with the imidicloprid.
If you use any kind of soap or oil spray, don't use it in the heat of the day. It can burn your plants.

Neem is pretty good for some insects, is an oil and toxic to bees and other beneficials so use it carefully. I have been adding neemcake (ground up seed hulls left after pressing the oil) and seem to be getting some insect control. I'm hoping it will lessen the snail and pillbug population but it hasn't so far.

If you have fireants, there is a new product on the market called Antidote which is beneficial nematodes and works well if used properly. Spinosad also kills fireants when used as a drench but it will also kill beneficial ants (yes, ants are necessary part of nature).

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9084587

This is a GREAT thread!
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

April 16, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9084677

Hey Calalily! Iffin' you feel the need to learn about doggone Japanese Beetles, come on up here to Virginee! And, by the way, your post was excellent - so very helpful to all!
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 17, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9085775

No thank you to the Japanese Beetle introduction, I remember those from Tennessee! I used to go around with a pail of soapy water and knock them into it to drown, didn't even make a dent in the population.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9085953

The wife & I were working in the front little flower bed last night and she a big asp, about 2" long. Good thing I get the insecticide tomorrow. Gonna go with the Bayer Complete, and a little Sevin dust as a back-up. Also found about 4 white grubs, good thing we just started working this little section, get'um before we get everything in there for them to munch on...
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 17, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9085967

Not all Texas grubs are bad, the grub from the rhinocerous beetle is only harmful to young palm trees (favorite food). Its droppings are as good as earthworm castings and it really loosens the soil. These are easy to identify, they are HUGE and can work a compost pile in short order.
If you get stung by as asp, ice is about the only thing other than morphine that will ease the pain (been there, done that and got a t-shirt!)

forgot to add: for any stinging caterpillar, first and most important thing is to remove the spines that may be in your skin using tape. Place the tape over the sting using gentle pressure then pull off. It may take some hair with it, but will remove the spines.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2012 8:46 AM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9086064

I remember sitting on the porch "playing jacks" with a wide skirt on. One 'a those fuzzy cats crawled under my skirt and bit me on the thigh.

Needless to say, I have a very healthy respect for fuzzy cats...

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9086209

Linda,

That is EXACTLY why I don't wear skirts or dresses... easy avenue for bug attack! Plus I don't really have the legs for skirts. : )

David
hornstrider
Hutto, TX

April 17, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9086767

Calalily...what do you use for spider mites?...I have a problem with them. Cuk beetles are my biggest problem. I use liquid seven...it works for me...I saw my first cuk beetle on one of my mater plants...squashed him...i hope he was a scout cuk beetle...he will not be able to tell his buddies...I planted my cuks late, so they are not here in mass...
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9087692

jomocon, I have those same black, fuzzy, stinging cats. A group of them were tearing my Buttercup rose--among others--to shreds! I been using Bt like mad to no avail. I have sevin for the chicken coop, thank you so much for the suggestion. I had no idea what those things were! I'm heading out tonight after work, this is war!
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9088227

terri, I have these things all over the place, eating everything in sight - veggies, annuals, perennials - my poor gingers have been devastated. And what's even worse, the chickens won't touch them!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9088238

Smart chickens!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 18, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9088352

We have snow, but no fire ants or black cats as you call them. I'll take the snow!

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9091119

Went on the shopping spree Wednesday and got most of the products I mentioned above and a few other things. Lowe's has the Spectracide Triazicide Granules for the lawn on sale and got 2 bags for less than what I'd pay for one bad of another product. The last few evenings we've seen a bunch of the asps around our patio and across the driveway, so I better get that bug stuff on the yard and in the garden...

Are any others having the problem with caterpillars?? They are looking real nasty...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2012
10:03 PM

Post #9091132

I have never seen an asp, that I know of. Could it be because I have chickens, pea fowl, and guineas. Where are they usually found? I havent seen a whole lot of bugs but I see the toads come out of their house every evening.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9091842

Lisa,
Tell me about your toad house, please. I need frogs in my yard again.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9092312

Its a hole in the concrete. lol For some drainage/overflow thing, by the AC unit for the house. I didn't make it for them they choose it. They have been there for years, probably since the year after we built the house. I dont even know where they lay their eggs. All I know is from dusk till dawn toads, of all sizes, are coming and going. Its next to the side door and the side garden. I just went out there and there were toads in the side garden.

We have only had frogs a few times when it has been really wet, they were hanging on the windows. I dont know how to get frogs/toads to your house, mine just showed up.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9092323

Frogs and toads are always showing up in a garbage can I keep all my garden pots in. This is a red toad breeding area,we have bunches ,even got to see a female over 20 years old once,big as a human foot and red as could be,What a sight anymore!!

Use Diamatacious Earth , pepper juice, garlic spray, And have been experimenting with stinging nettle, things like that.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2012
2:24 AM

Post #9092439

Lisa>> If I'm outside early this evening and can get a picture of the caterpillar I'll do that and post it up on the bug forum to make sure we're getting the correct identification of this critter. Apparently they're pretty nasty...
samthehavanese
Mohrsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9092679

I've used Triazicide from a hose sprayer on sweet corn for years. Two applications per season. Never had any corn borers since.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 22, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9092700

I just checked the label for Triazicide. You are to wait 21 days from the time you apply it until you harvest the corn.
Do you do this ?
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 23, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9093934

Spinosad (Conserve) is stronger than Bt for killing caterpillars, it also works for cucumber beetles. For spidermites I use neem oil, sulphur or a product called organicide. I don't use them together, sulphur should never be used after an oil spray. I don't have a huge problem with mites, mostly beetles, caterpillars and aphids.
If you don't care if the product is organic, permethrin works well on everything except thrips.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9099784

There's a great article on the website today. This is sort of the approach I've been using all along, without even knowing it!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1052/

This message was edited Apr 27, 2012 9:04 AM
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9099819

Calalily, have you found that Organocide makes a oily mess in your sprayer? My sprayer tube got all glogged up and I can't get it clean.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9100106

I didn't know Robins would eat squash bugs! They patrol our garden daily for earthworms.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9100135

Bee,
I'm gonna have to put a birdbath in my yard soon. I have a tremendous amount of Turtle Doves? Blue Jays, Cardinals, GRACKLES!!!, and Woodpeckers, and I wanna keep them coming and happy!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9100442

The only thing I've tried is Japaneese Beetles in the bird feeder. Worked allright after losing an ornamental red maple . The invasive sparrows liked eating them , not bad if your not using anything toxic. I enjoy my birds wherever there from and always have. Suppose those could learn to eat squash bugs?
samthehavanese
Mohrsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9100573

CountryGardens wrote:I just checked the label for Triazicide. You are to wait 21 days from the time you apply it until you harvest the corn.
Do you do this ?

Yes. I spray once right after the tassels form, and once after the cobs first appear. It's worked for me.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 29, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9102157

When I use Organocide I add a little coloidial plant wash (a soap) to the mix. I haven't had any trouple with clogged sprayers, but we use a 4 gallon backpack sprayer and a pull behind tank sprayer (150 gallons).

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9102568

Gymgirl - you don't need anything fancy for a bird bath. Just a shallow (two inch) tray filled with clean water. Anything too deep and the birds drown. Put it so you can watch the action from your favorite chair - I love watching them take a bath.

Don't have any shrubbery around the bath, the birds like to see if anything harmful is coming before they jump in.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2012
10:21 PM

Post #9106627

So far I have found a variegated cutworm,a snail, and the biggest scorpion I have ever seen and all 3 were in the house. The scorpion actually came at me, I have never seen that before, and I'll be fine if I never see it again. Lol

The first 2 I found on pepper and tomato seedlings that have never been outside! I was wondering where the leaves were going.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

June 8, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9157434

One day when I was busy climbing a tree, in my youth (I get it honest, you see, the "Tree Hugger" moniker), I reached up and a big, fat, green caterpillar BIT MY HAND. I still remember that throbbing feeling being ina swollen limb for about three days.

On another note, does anyone know about Neem oil? I have recently discovered it, and all of a sudden see its many praises everywhere...LOL! Well, my heritage rose, that was dying from black spot, is well holding its own! NO dropped leaves for about three days since I sprayed it. Now I see that regular rose care includes spraying with this stuff (interesting odor) every two weeks! Live and learn.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 9, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9157840

I use Neem oil and neem cake. Don't spray in the heat of the day. It is great for powdery mildew. Love to smell it, some of our workers hate it.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9160922

It is a shame we can't find ways to use sugar to poison insects in our gardens since we all know by now that sugar is a toxin or poison to all humans and other animals.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9161007

Unfortunately we would probably have insects running around us smiling with teeth like Queen Elizabeth I (she had very bad teeth in her adulthood due to her addiction to a new product from the new world, sugar).

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9161032

What're we using for the flea beetles that leave shotgun holes in the leaves?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9161044

YEAH and I've got flea beetles everywhere, the only plant that seems immune so far is the milkweed vines.Hmmm, A lesson there maybe

How about salt? anything that kills insects and plants when directly applied would have to make one wonder.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9161582

Sevin dust or spray works great, but it's not organic. I only had to use it 2-3 times a season. They are no longer a problem here, since I never let them complete their lifecycle. I haven't sprayed any insecticide in about 5 yrs. I only use Neem oil for Spider mites and as needed for anyother minor insect invasion. I learned a huge lesson about not letting any pest complete their life cycle.

I didn't know insects had teeth (grin)
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9161901

In my world they do! Oh and those ruffly Elizabethan collars. Doesn't make one feel half so bad about using the Sevin Dust knowing about their unfortunate fashion and dietary choises =))!
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

June 13, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9163721

Oh Terri! I laughed so hard at your description of those teeth...! I wonder if the Queen was diabetic. hhhmmm...
On another note - I have you ALL beat! HA! I bought some "Eight" about a month ago, but that was before I discovered Neem Oil.
Anyone have some of this stuff? The Eight, that is. Jeese, wonder when NINE will come out...LOL!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America