Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Clematis: Does anyone here plant clem's in pots?

Communities > Forums > Clematis
bookmark
Forum: ClematisReplies: 15, Views: 195
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
daylilydreams
small town, MN
(Zone 4b)

April 13, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9081062

I have a large planter with a attached trellis that I am thinking about planting a crystal blue fountain clem in, this would have to winter outdoors as the planter it to large to move. Have any of you wintered a clem outdoors in a cold climate?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9081896

I haven't but some other people must have. Let's hope they see your question and respond.

My question would be: how deep is the planter?
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9082139

I bought a Sapphire Indigo last summer that was in a fairly large pot, maybe a 2 gallon?...anyway I never found a spot for it in the garden, and it overwintered in the pot...I didn't even move it to a protected area. Thought I had killed it, but it is growing very well. I decided I will put it in a larger pot and keep it containerized!

daylilydreams
small town, MN
(Zone 4b)

April 14, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9082175

My large planter is at least two to two and a half feet deep plus I have some large pots with tall obelisk in them. I am going to plant crystal blue fountain in all three they said they can be used in pots as they are not overly tall like some of my clematis. I placed a order with Bluestone Perennials that included the clematis and we will see how it goes . They are using a new type of container for their plants that is suppose to work better, we will see...Betty

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 11:57 AM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9082180

That's a great depth. The clematises will be happy.
mstish
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9090499

I have many clematis in half barrels. Mr. President, Henri, Daniel Duronda, Asao and Rouge cardinal. They do just fine.

I just planted Princess Di and Ragoochi in 38 gallon plastic garbage containers with wheels on them. I drilled holes in the bottom to drain it and they seem to be doing great. I spray painted the black plastic containers with a light olive green so they would blend in better and not heat up so much.

They stay outside all winter but I am in a warmer climate area than you.

ARRG - I just realized I have over 30 clems and two new ones coming next week.

Step 1 - Admitted I was powerless over clematis...oh the heck with that, I'm off to the nursery.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2012 9:08 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9090538

I said I had enough clem's about 70 clem's ago when I had 30. It just never seems to end.
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9097799

[quote="pirl"]I said I had enough clem's about 70 clem's ago when I had 30. It just never seems to end.[/quote]

I would love to learn how you manage to find places for so many clems!

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9097807

I'm still missing clem's growing on the car, truck and driveway!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 27, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9141090

Betty,
Is your container next to the house? It may get enough protection up against the house. I see this is the 2nd year you have posted this question...must mean you didnt try it last year? If its not up against the house, can you "cage" it and pack leaves around the pot over the winter? (If you need leaves, I have plenty to share...still from last year even.)
I just bought a new clem from Menards - forget the name off hand. Bright pink with a dark pink edge. Put it in the ground though.

Stephanie
daylilydreams
small town, MN
(Zone 4b)

May 28, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9141886

No I didn't ask about this last year perhaps someone else did.

The potted ones I can move up against the house. I am not going to pack leaves around them although I have plenty of leaves. I have decided that they will have to make it on their own without babying them overmuch.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9142830

I'm interested in this, too. I have several spots where there is just no room for Clem roots, but they'd look amazing. In a couple of cases I could sink the pots at least half way into the ground. Does anyone know if two gallon would be big enough?

Pam
daylilydreams
small town, MN
(Zone 4b)

May 29, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9142841

I just did a google search and found information on this site on clems in pots. http://hummingbirdfarm.net/clematis_in_containers.htm
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9142920

Excellent advice and wise words.
kentstar
Ravenna, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9162761

Here's a pic of Madame Julia Correvon in a whiskey barrel with one of those umbrella trellis.

Thumbnail by kentstar
Click the image for an enlarged view.

daylilydreams
small town, MN
(Zone 4b)

June 13, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9163400

Looks very happy in the wiskey barrel.

The two I planted in pots are doing very well even vining up on the obelisk in each of the pots. The third one in the large planter with the trellis had the foilage dry up last week I am keeping it watered and will see if it comes back either this year or next year. The third one never got dry and it is the same variety as the two pots they were all planted this spring on the same day.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Clematis Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vine fence barrykooda 48 Sep 4, 2009 1:59 PM
Nelly Moser up a crabapple hczone6 11 Mar 29, 2008 3:43 AM
clematis in a pot? anastatia 17 Nov 19, 2010 8:13 AM
Clematis Gardennuttz 7 May 30, 2008 1:01 PM
What are some of your best Clematis? bluegrassmom 69 Dec 28, 2009 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America