Spring flowers and blushing plants

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

This first set of photos shows Dudleya brittonii doing its spring thing. Last picture shows the inflorescence on a green plant.

These flowers are popular with hummingbirds.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

Blushing and flowering Dudleyas.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

Echeveria flowers.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

Aloe and Opuntia flowers in the garden.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

Gasterias in the garden and in pots. You can just barely see the inner parts in the last picture (right side, halfway up).

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

Blushing Echeveria, Aeonium, Euphorbia (note crested arm at 3 o'clock).

The graph shows seasonal changes in sunlight here at the start of spring.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Wow Baja, the colors on that dudleya are amazing! Such contrast.

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

Beautiful - love the dudleya as well. All of them looking great.

Decatur, GA

Beautiful plants and flowers. You have a great environment to bring out the best in your plants. Not to mention careful culture by you!
Helen

As we are going into winter things are slowing down...but my Strelitzia gave me a bonus..for you Baja, because of your great succulent show..

Thumbnail by Little_things

Nice. That's one of the few non-succulents I installed in the public garden. We had some rain yesterday, could be the last of the season. In a couple of months the Dudleyas will slow way down. I'm thinking the big blue one will end up in the ground, so as to keep going strong. The main question is where. It was essentially rootless when I received it, now I believe it can fend for itself.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Just love the "Bird of Paradise" plants! They are taken for granted here as easy landscape plants, but they are so uniquely beautiful. They look like they glow when backlit at sunset.

Do Strelitzias grow wild around where you live, LT? I just read they are from South Africa.

The blushing medusa just got an upgrade (one size up). Here she is without any accoutrement and then seated in her new home. There's a short bit (few mm) of naked caudex above the root ball. I filled the gap around it with top dressing, so the arms are all laying on a cushion of pumice. Not the easiest job but pretty bulletproof in the end.

Pleased to see fruit develop from Euphorbia flowers I hand-pollinated back in February. There's a total of 8 like the one on the lower right. Dad paused for a while but will soon be back in flower, just in time for another round with the paintbrush.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

A few aloes with highlights from afternoon sun.

Hi yes the S. reginae v. juncae does occur around here, but most are a little up the coast towards Kwazulu-Natal province (little more hot & humid). Love the aloes.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

I love the aloes too and also the medusa. My Aloe dorotheae has been inside for 3 days at the Central AZ Cactus & Succulent Show and it has turned all green already. Boo hoo, I miss the red. I need to get it back outside so it looks like this again.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Baja, love the symmetry of the aloe on the second photo. Looks familiar, but can't think of the name? Also, great job on the Euphorbia repot. Nice plant! I like how it looks like the "branches" are cascading downward.

Nancy, one of my fav aloes! Nice healthy one! Yep, get 'er back out in the sun ASAP!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks z10! I have the aloe back where it belongs now! I also love that symmetrical aloe. Do you know the name Baja?

Perth, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Great pictures, the medusa plant is a very unusual looking succulent.

Thanks, guys. The second aloe is A. suprafoliata. The medusa was definitely due for a repotting, glad it all went well. No Euphorbia juice in my eyes, no arms ripped off the plant.

It's amazing how light changes affect the color (and growth) of A. dorotheae. I had to dial down the sun on my plant to keep it from stalling out. It gets 2-3 hours right now.

The big blue Dudleya ended up in the ground next to a Pachyveria. Second photo shows the plant with a final layer of coir around it. Eventually that will settle down and sink in, and the color will be bleached by the sun to a dull brown.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

This is the first time this Hesperaloe has made a flower.

Here's some seed I collected from four winter flowering aloes (open pollination). Left to right: A. marlothii, lutescens, "Cynthia Giddy", arborescens. The lutescens fruit was invaded by some bug and most of the seeds inside were eaten, but the ones that were left were all quite large. The arborescens seeds are noticeably smaller (well, in real life anyway) and much more numerous. I collected a lifetime supply from the top third of the inflorescence (which works out timewise to when the lutescens next to it started flowering, but before the other two were really going). Otherwise the paternity is up for grabs.

So I guess you will sowing seeds? Like the Dudleya.

My A. cryptopoda is flowering for the first time (about 16 years) and it is the yellow, so it is actually the old wikensii v lutea - very pleased. The flower head sat in 80km/h ocean winds for a few day and it seems to have coped very well - this is great news for me. Some of the other aloes with less compact flowers just blow away in this type of wind.

Wow, good news. That's a long time to wait.

Gasterias in bud (right one recently rescued from a low-light situation), nectar catching the light on a hazy day, Aloe aristata, A. jucunda, unknown.

Gymno. saglionis flower and bud, Aloe "Twilight Zone" inflorescence and rosette.

A few shots I took last week after it rained. Dry season just ahead.

Aeonium, Echeveria, Dudleya, Aeonium, Pachypodium.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Love the irony in photos of succulents covered in water droplets. Love that first aeonium Baja!

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

It looks like I need to get Aloe dorotheae. That plant looks amazing.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Amanzed, I highly recommend A. dorotheae. Beautiful color; smooth, shiny, prominently toothed leaves; fast clumper; low grower; not sensitive to off season water. One of my fav's!

Yes.

Another reason I like the aloe is that it's quite robust for its size, with a "pumped up" look even when it's grown fairly dry. Unlike other aloes that burn through their lower leaves, it tends to hold on to what it's got.

There are a few different clones out there, Dean, so you know. It's probably a good idea to offer sun protection (ideally filtered light) to young plants, keep them on the green side for a while. Then once they reach a decent size you can play freely with the color.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the info, zone10 and Baja_Costero,

I'd seen it around the hobby in this area. I think someone had one at a San Gabriel Valley CSS meeting. I sorta clocked it mentally then but now it's firmly on my mental list.

I put a few offsets in the ground when I potted up the one in the container. Since then they have been running in parallel and there are some differences. Even though I water the landscape plants considerably less often and they receive essentially day-long blazing BC sun, they still hold on to a little bit of green, especially in the winter and spring. Makes sense I guess that a containerized plant would color up more than the one in the ground.

The local Ferocactus in flower (just opening up) and bud (red sepals!). Both are rescue plants. First one has been in my care for about 6 months. Second one just graduated to the ground after 15 months.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

Dudleya in flower the second time this season, recently repotted.

Haworthia, Gasterias, Aloe jucunda.

Cotyledons, Hesperaloe, unknown vining volunteer.

Nopalitos!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.