Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Picea glauca 'Jean's Dilly'

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 4, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

April 13, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9081377

Does anyone have experience with this wee critter? I saw it in a "High End" nursery, and of course bought it...well, I saw it from across the way, sitting in a red pot, went to the area I needed to go to, then, on my way back, there it was, still. It asked me to take it home, so I obliged. Well, wouldn't you? It is different than the normal dwarf Alberta Spruce that you see everywhere...I plan to plant it in a nice cement planter (I'll put a liner in it first), and just leave it to grow. No, I'm not holding my breath for a quick growth spurt. Guess I need a doggone gnome now, huh.
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9084272

I have one of the very dwarf alberta spruces also, but I couldn't remember which one.
Unfortunately, tag is long gone, so I don't know if it's the same as yours, but it's very cute.

But I wanted to share a picture of my favorite dwarf spruce this time of year.
This is picea abies Pusch. It's a dwarf Norway spruce, rather than Alberta spruce.
Anyway, the unique feature of this one is the cones form on the tips of the branches.
Newly forming cones are a beautiful maroon color.
As beautiful as flowers.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

granitegneiss
Norridgewock, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9084283

my Jean's Dilly browned badly this winter and looks close to dead. very disappointing as it was in a sheltered location. very cute tree, I liked it a lot. winter damage shouldn't be a problem in your area!
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9097921

Mine is on it's 3rd year in the dwarf conifer garden.Has only gained about 2-3 inches since I got it.It's 18 inches tall now. Very slow grower and has finer foliage than the Regular alberta spruce. Darker green too. :-)

Kyle
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9105484

i am on my second jean's dilly - first one was purchased from the discount pile and had some brown on it and died that season - picked another one up a couple weeks ago and hoping for the best.

Nice pusch weerobin been looking for that a while now

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America