Picea glauca 'Jean's Dilly'

Warrenton, VA

Does anyone have experience with this wee critter? I saw it in a "High End" nursery, and of course bought it...well, I saw it from across the way, sitting in a red pot, went to the area I needed to go to, then, on my way back, there it was, still. It asked me to take it home, so I obliged. Well, wouldn't you? It is different than the normal dwarf Alberta Spruce that you see everywhere...I plan to plant it in a nice cement planter (I'll put a liner in it first), and just leave it to grow. No, I'm not holding my breath for a quick growth spurt. Guess I need a doggone gnome now, huh.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have one of the very dwarf alberta spruces also, but I couldn't remember which one.
Unfortunately, tag is long gone, so I don't know if it's the same as yours, but it's very cute.

But I wanted to share a picture of my favorite dwarf spruce this time of year.
This is picea abies Pusch. It's a dwarf Norway spruce, rather than Alberta spruce.
Anyway, the unique feature of this one is the cones form on the tips of the branches.
Newly forming cones are a beautiful maroon color.
As beautiful as flowers.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

my Jean's Dilly browned badly this winter and looks close to dead. very disappointing as it was in a sheltered location. very cute tree, I liked it a lot. winter damage shouldn't be a problem in your area!

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Mine is on it's 3rd year in the dwarf conifer garden.Has only gained about 2-3 inches since I got it.It's 18 inches tall now. Very slow grower and has finer foliage than the Regular alberta spruce. Darker green too. :-)

Kyle

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i am on my second jean's dilly - first one was purchased from the discount pile and had some brown on it and died that season - picked another one up a couple weeks ago and hoping for the best.

Nice pusch weerobin been looking for that a while now

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.