Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Picea glauca 'Jean's Dilly'

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 4, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

April 13, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9081377

Does anyone have experience with this wee critter? I saw it in a "High End" nursery, and of course bought it...well, I saw it from across the way, sitting in a red pot, went to the area I needed to go to, then, on my way back, there it was, still. It asked me to take it home, so I obliged. Well, wouldn't you? It is different than the normal dwarf Alberta Spruce that you see everywhere...I plan to plant it in a nice cement planter (I'll put a liner in it first), and just leave it to grow. No, I'm not holding my breath for a quick growth spurt. Guess I need a doggone gnome now, huh.
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9084272

I have one of the very dwarf alberta spruces also, but I couldn't remember which one.
Unfortunately, tag is long gone, so I don't know if it's the same as yours, but it's very cute.

But I wanted to share a picture of my favorite dwarf spruce this time of year.
This is picea abies Pusch. It's a dwarf Norway spruce, rather than Alberta spruce.
Anyway, the unique feature of this one is the cones form on the tips of the branches.
Newly forming cones are a beautiful maroon color.
As beautiful as flowers.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

granitegneiss
Norridgewock, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9084283

my Jean's Dilly browned badly this winter and looks close to dead. very disappointing as it was in a sheltered location. very cute tree, I liked it a lot. winter damage shouldn't be a problem in your area!
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9097921

Mine is on it's 3rd year in the dwarf conifer garden.Has only gained about 2-3 inches since I got it.It's 18 inches tall now. Very slow grower and has finer foliage than the Regular alberta spruce. Darker green too. :-)

Kyle
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9105484

i am on my second jean's dilly - first one was purchased from the discount pile and had some brown on it and died that season - picked another one up a couple weeks ago and hoping for the best.

Nice pusch weerobin been looking for that a while now

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America