-
AuthorContent
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9081519

Anyone have any experience with them? Been researching on line. Trying to find someting more efficient that removing filtration material every 2 weeks and rincing with hose.
Any thoughts.

Bonnie
CT_Ohio
Millfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9081824

BonnieGardens:

I have the Fish Mate Pressurized UV + Bio Filter which I got from Drs. Foster and Smith (on special with them right now) and have been very happy with it. I've used it for about 4 years and am renewing filters, biomedia and lights this year (when they get here - on backorder :-( ) and am very happy with it. I still get string algae but contain it with some mechanical removal and an algicide a couple of times a season. My water is quite clear with little particulates floating in it. I have lilies but no fish, not because I haven't tried but my local raccoon eats them. Filter has a backwash feature which lets you reverse the flow to clean out filters. I have filter sitting in a 5 gallon drywall bucket which has some drainage holes drilled in bottom and which is sunk to rim in pea gravel. Makes it easy to lift the filter for winter, etc. Whole set up is covered with a slatted wooden cover. Good luck
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9083271

We have 2 of them and just love them. I can't tell you the brand right now, Bonnie - I would have to ask hubby on that.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 17, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9085937

Our UV on our pressure filter gave up the ghost. We replaced the bulb and the ballast but no soap. It is past the warranty, just... isn't that always the case. We started up the falls and biofilter this weekend but are holding off on the 48" UV as there is still plenty of snow around the pond and in the area where we put the pressure filter and the UV. I have the strangest stuff growing in the pond this spring. It has bubbles all over it that release when you brush them. Never had that before. Don't know if it is a result of running a pump all winter into the caves. Flushed something out of the caves?? I wonder if it is harmful. D says the bubbles are not oxygen. But he is not a plant person. It is very short (just covers the rocks) and not like any algae I have ever seen. Wonder if it has anything to do with the death of all of our big fish. The smaller guys are just starting to come out.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9087382

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6000-Gallon-Pressure-UV-sterilizer-Pond-Filter-w-18W-UV-/160473855978?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255cfcb7ea

I've used ones like this before, and they did a decent job.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9087393

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunterra-300306-Pond-Bio-Filter-3000-Gallons-Black-/200623858817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb61d2481

This one is a little better priced, with free shipping... I can't recal the number of gallons you have, now that you've rearranged. They do a decent job, if used with a skimmer, they do a very good job. I usually use a larger pump that recommended, so it has larger holes to grab particulate matter out of the water.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9089592

We are still talking about putting in one larger pond. Makes more work for me in the long run. Not sure I'm going for it. We do have a nearly new pump and skimmer and UV. I definitely want one that backwashes with UV running down the center.

MM, what type of filter did you purchase over at show?

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9089652

We bought a bead filter at the koi show with a backwash and UV. I can't recall what brand it is (since I havent installed it yet) and it has a 1 1\2 horsepower external pump. My smaller pond will still have the kind of filter I mentioned to you above. It's always done a good job, so not changing anything unless I need to.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2012
1:37 AM

Post #9089770

What size pond and filter are you looking at Bonnie? The initial work up front is more to put in a larger pond, however the larger ponds are supposed to require less maintenance than the smaller ones.

Also, we don't use the uv lights that are part of the backwash system. When we bought both of the systems, we were already using and having good experiences with the uv2's from Tetra pond uv lights.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9091453

Carolyn,
Been looking at many Laguna, Tetra Matala etc. Pond will be 3,000 gals. I have a new 5,000gph pump which will be located inside skimmer.
Just trying to make it a bit easier to keep clean. Have also been looking at a vacuum which I think would be a good investment considering there would be 2 ponds to clean. Husb mentioned covering all with screen room. That would be difficult considering close proximity to oak tree.

I'm excited, went out and cleaned out one of the bird houses. Got pair of Great American fly catchers scouting a home.
Been 2 years since they nested here. Hoping they will stay and call it home. They are supposed to be rare in Fl.

Thanks all for your assistance.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9095001

That's exciting Bonnie! I get excited when cardinals land at my feeder. I take my laptop out on the deck and play cardinal sounds, and they all come out of the trees looking for their potential "mate". They can't find it, because it's just my laptop, but then go to the feeder.
Do you need any fish yet?

Mary
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9095668

Both flycatchers are working at bldg. nest in top apartment in my old birdhouse which is where they nested before and fledged 3 or 4 young. They are just beautiful. Love watching them.
Bonnie

I'll write you about fish.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9115775

Flycatchers seem to have left. They did a lot of work but now that I let my lab out front a lot maybe she scared them off.
She is on the lookout for rabbits and I hope keeps them away.
Been working feverishly on cleaning up pool, patio furniture, metal and screen and today all I have left to scrub is the deck.
THEN I will get back to gardening and pond.
Hang onto some fish Mary if you can. Hopefully I will have a new place for them one day.
Guess everyone is working outside now cause not much action on here. Its that time of year.
We got a little bit of rain yesterday afternoon and hopefully will get more today. I am hand watering everything and it takes me 4 hrs. Canal is too low to pump and supply irrigation system. What a pain in the tush.
Happy gardening everyone.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 9, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9117785

Gosh Bonnie...when I saw those rain clouds (and we got more wind than rain) I was more than tickled pink!!! Not much water, but at least a nice misting of everything. I can't keep up with hosing everything every day (several times a day!)
Trust me, I have fish for you...my new pond won't be able to hold all the fish I currently own. And I'm sure spawning will be just around the corner!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9118415

Mary,
Jeff spent 4 hrs. yesterday in some mans pond over near Oveido helping him sort fish looking for a blue they moved 150 and of course Jeff brought 6 home. Gave me 2 last night. One is sanky and one is white pearly scaled but only has 1 eye but seems very healthy. I of course quananteened them in own little tub. Both are beautiful colored up.
Jeff took videos of all the guys ponds. Talk about a menagerie. Just his hobby, he doesn't sell just gives them away. Jeff said he really enjoyed his day and he had just met the guy thru advertising his winner Shogun on Craigs list. He swapped the guy Shogun. Jeff sold 3 to a lady from Winter Spgs.
I'm firmly convinced we aren't the only fish finatics around. Got invited to a gals pond up in Montverde who sells fish cheap and also another in Killarny. Jeff and I are going to have to take a day and ride and look.
We got a heavy shower for about 5 mins. yesterday and I was cleaning filters but kept right on. I was so thrilled to see rain just wonderful.
Going outside to work out front today. Mary is there any way I can get those broms before next weekend?
Cleaned out place for them. Got Vietnamese hollyhocks blooming. A kind DG member sent seeds to me and they are doing well. I will try and save you some seed if you'd like. Got to get to work.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9120171

I will be back in town on Sunday, and can fill a trashbag of Broms for you. Tuesday or Wednesday will be better than Monday. I'll probably head your way with them. Let me know if either of those days is ok...I can probably do Thursday if that's better, just need a little heads up for that day. :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9120220

Hi Mary,
Any day is fine cause I'm usually home. To be perfectly safe just give me a buz before you leave your place.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9128463

Looked at Fish Mate filters. Bad reviews. 4 people said they burst and drained their ponds and all fish died.
Ordered liner from Drs. Foster & Smith as they have best price I found on 15X25'. They are on BO so have time to look around at filters. I'm even considering just using my skipy filter that we made unles it doesn't clean larger pond effectively.

M. Mary, soorry you didn't make it over.

Carolyn,
Pond will be 3,000 gals. I have a practically brand new pump 4,800 gph. that should accomodate it. Have a practically new UV clarifier. Have skimmer also. Anything I don't need for this pond I will save for future use and older pond.

Thanks for all ya-lls help.
Bonnie

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9141559

Bonnie

how is the pond coming? I was sitting outside by the pond this morning and thought of you.

Let us know.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9142390

Hi Carolyn,
Haven't done a thing on it for a few days. Attended the plant RU in Jacksonville Sat. so that took that day but thoroughly enjoyed it. I was proud of myself, didn't run around picking up tons of plants but got a few that I never had which is great.
Sandy was ill (MRSA) but she sent 2 water iris with another gal to be sure I got them which I thought was ever so sweet of her.

My son invented a floating island for me for Mothers Day and the fish just love it. He painted i" PVC black and let it cue for 10 ays -zip tied 6 water baskets tog. and zip tied them to the frame and it floats beautifully and the fish just love it. Hide under it all the time. He has another idea for the new pond to make one that goes all the way across and also fill with water hyacinths which are illegal here but make a great filtration bed. They are already in all our lakes but I would trash any I didn't need or died and never put them in our lakes.

My old pond is doing very well. I used ProformC after cleaning and degradible little bags of good bacteria and its clear as a bell. Son brought me a couple of new fish. One is a sanke I think and one is a beautiful butterfly-body is scaled with irridescent white scales and pinkish fins and tail. Poor thing only has 1 eye but he seems quite content and happy. I named him one eyed Joe.

Liner was on BO from Drs. Foster&Smith and not supposed to come until June 6 but it came 3 days ago so I'm really anxious to proceed with work. Ran into a large tree root but its over 2 feet down so I'm just going to leave it cause if I cut it all it will sprout more and right now it just goes right across pond area on the bottom. I'm also hoping to put in a walkway about 3 feet wide to overhand the pond just a little. Luckily I have a bunch of 1/2 cement blocks that I will wall up that side with and fill with cement to make solid base. They are 3" by 18" by 6". Very old we took out of wall from my husbs. shed remodeling so that will use them up and they won't be an eyesore anymore. Couldn't sell old liners so they will become underlayment for bottom and plywood and carpet will line all other walls. I use steel pipe driven into ground about 2 feet to shore up walls and stop cave in on all other walls. Sand caves in very easily. We build to last. At my age I think this will be last pond I'll ever dig (probably). In Dec. I'll be 75. It will pretty much fill up that end of yard. The walkway will be made out of decking boards just like the little patio son built me and join to it. I dream a lot but usually work until my dreams materilize.
Guess by now your ponds are up and running right? Hope all your fish are healthy and happy.
Will have to get on the ball and take some pics. Liner is 15 X 25 so should end up with 10 X 20 pond I hope. So far have used Kabota but all the corners have to be hand tapered and some other details. I'm thinking another waterfall of some type. Been looking on web sites but all are so much smaller than one I have would not allow for much filter material to be put in them. They are very shallow. Might have to invent a filterfall from rugged bin box from Lowes. I'll keep looking and drawing up plans. The pressure filters I looked at for this size pond are over $300.
Also, been looking for a SOLAR pump small to fit in birdbath we took out of ponds I tore out. So far no luck finding one.
It is now up in a flowerbed and far from elec. so solar would be good. Needs to be small enough to fit down inside of top piece which is only about 6" round. Any sources???
We got a little rain today and I was so thankful. Just finished cookout and it started. Got to spend a few more days cleaning up pool as kids are anxious to swim and me too. It will be in the 90's from now on and its a big help when you've ben outside working sweating.
Take care
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9143318

Bonnie,
Ebay has TONS of small solar pumps and fountains for bird baths.
Keep dreaming Bonnie, it keeps us young and moving forward :)
Don't BUY any fish unless you need to. I have so many extras, once I get further with my newer pond, I will need to eliminate close to 25, so they are yours for the asking. Actually, you don't have to ask, more like "yours until denied" :D

Loving the small amounts of rain we finally are getting!

Carolyn, you're soooo far ahead with your pond than the rest of us! I applaud you. It forces me to trudge ahead :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9143814

MM,
Will check out Ebay. I think Jeff has acct. with them.
I am so excited about new pond I could burst. Charlie said last one and I agree. He also said he thought a raised bridge over it would be nice. How did he know what I was thinking. I've been looking at filter falls and to me none are large enough to provide good filtration so might have to invent something that would be wide enough to look dimentionally right and filter well on new pond. Then we do away with the skippy filter and just have falls & UVC. It's working fine on old pond at keeping it clean.
Don't know whats going on with my pair of flycatchers. Now one inside is handing white stuff out the hole to other one and it flies away with it. Maybe some remodeling?? I'm just glad they are still here for me to see.

Tomorrow will try to get a pic of new pond in stage 1. I'll make sure all water peraneters are right before I put any fish in it. I really learned my lesson in lots of ways this spring.

These little rains we are getting are WONDERFUL. I so appreciate it cause hand watering really is a pain.
Mary have you started digging your new pond? I hope we both get done before really hot weather sets in. It's hot enough now to suit me.

Take care,
Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America