Photo by Melody

Japanese Maples: Is my Bloodgood more dead than alive?

Communities > Forums > Japanese Maples
bookmark
Forum: Japanese MaplesReplies: 3, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2012
1:17 AM

Post #9081789

Last year my Japanese Maple looked it's best in the approx. 5 years I've had it. It came through a blizzard and didn't lose a branch. This spring, most of it seems dead in the middle half of the branches and then there are leaves at the tips. Do I prune these branches all the way back to the trunk? It doesn't look like there would be much tree left after that.

Thumbnail by toni5735
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9082229

Tom, I have done something called Root Flare to all my JM and fruit trees.
Check this link and scroll down till you come to root flare. There are a number of pages on root flare.
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/faq/letter/R/
It looks very odd but it will make a big difference in a trees health.

Dwight
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9085576

Toni, the root flare problem might be something to look into if you have the time and inclination to do so but to answer your question about pruning, if it were my tree I think I would just sit tight for now and see how it develops this growing season before I would do anything drastic.
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9085611

Thank you Dwight and GardenSox for your responses.

I am a novice with trees and this is the only tree I've grown in my garden other than a pine tree that had to be removed b/c it was leaning and threatening to take out the garage with a good wind. At this point, I am inclined to wait and see if the branches that are bare in the middle with leaves at the tips, will send some offshoots. I don't know what to expect this gardening season with the unusually warm weather patterns we've been experiencing.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America