Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Northeast Gardening: Money Matters - Part 12

Communities > Forums > Northeast Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Northeast GardeningReplies: 327, Views: 1,786
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9082026

Coming from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1242578/

Wow, all this college stuff is so complex these days.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9082080

Thanks for the thread victor!
I must be exponentially daunting to families sending their first ever in the family to college. But our public high school gives lots of support that way. Or it tries, for those students that they don't drive out by being too big chaotic insane
impersonal full of lowlifes

Our state wants to raise the dropout age! from 16 to 18. They can't get all the kids to 'graduate' at the current standard!!!!!!!!!!!! WHat the heck is the use of raising that?

I'm still baffled ./disturbed about work study. If 100 kids accept work study the school has to make work for all of them? So the higher your tuition, the more student you expect to apply for work study, hence the more free (to school )labor the school gets and the more Fed has to subsidize? I can only hope that work study is limited and not a given for all that 'accept' it.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9082093

Sally, I doubt the colleges have any shortage of work for their federal work-study kids. Given the high cost of education, i doubt many of the expensive schools really get that many federal work stoudy kids anyway, and the large state schools can absorb large numbers of kids. Free labor for the colleges under the federal work study program.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9082192

Ouch!!!

"If anyone is having a bad day, remember that today in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $800. Now it's worth $58,065,210,000."

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9082197

One other thing about veep. He 'earned' over $21,000 by charging rent to the secret service to use a cottage on his property. He charges them (us) rent to protect him!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9082202

And yes, the same secret service that apparently refuses to pay Colombian hookers. Sheesh!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9082521

21000 rent- its a sin I tell ya.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9082524

"Sin" is an old archery term meaning "off the mark"... so I agree that that rental amount is off the mark!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9082856

Sally, I always thought the annuity payments would be better, too. And I would think you'd pay less taxes on them? Not sure. With a lump sum, what would you do with all that money? Put it all in the bank? No bank is insured to cover that much. I would be concerned. Oh, and there is no way I would be giving away 50 million to family and friends. I'm assuming they're talking about cash. What if you gave people gifts? Like cars and such. Does gift tax apply to that? Or say you wanted to help out family/friends by fixing up their homes and such. Gift tax on that? Cause that's what I'd want to do. Hmmm...

Rosemary, I don't think you can pass on an annuity to your heirs. I think you would have to set up an investment account with some of that money if you wanted to have something to leave your kids.

Karen

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9083189

Gift tax might apply to value over 10 000 as well as cash over that. WHy can't you just buy houses yourself and let the family live there? If you really want them to have a house. Can it be called a gift to hire workers and fix someone elses house? SHeesh. Such problems.

I think I'd rent a big beach house for a whole summer and do come one come all. among other things.

Annuity to be inherited- I know it is possible to buy annuities in your kids names that they can make choices on when you die (continue for later payout,, take lump sum, take payments) When you think, people who've been rich for a long time have probably gotten the banking marketplace to come up with all kinds of suitable investments.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9083798

Usually an annuity is an investment through an insurance company. I don't know how the mega bucks handles it legally, but usually there are owners, beneficiaries and an option for contingent beneficiaries, and I believe they also avoid probate, and they certainly shelter one from legal liabilities--think of OJ Simpson.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9084081

all this college stuff is making my head hurt!!!!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9084101

Yeah, me too. Hoping for online college very soon! Too much $$ fighting that.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
2:05 AM

Post #9084213

My ranting about the subject will end soon. May 1 is decision day.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9084297

Am thankful, our kids are past college age. But, then there are the grandies to think about.

Grandparents Day at one grandson's school with a book fair included. Must remember to bring money for that.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9085059

Jan, As I read your post quickly i thught you said there are the GRANULES to think about. LOL. But actaully, that works. LOL

Oh yeah, always do book fair on grands day- Thats a money matter!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9085061

Definitely a money matter!! Heehee.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9085240

Taxes.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304356604577338122267919032.html?mod=e2tw

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9085339

Good article.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9085345

Facts you never hear.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9086464

Best-paying majors.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/04/17/which-college-majors-pay-best/?mod=e2tw

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9086539

Learning more about college aid. There are many institutional differences in how they offer aid packages. If I had grasped this deeply, I might have had each kid apply to 20 or more colleges in order to find out which highly respected college would apply the formulas in the most favorable way. Or there must be data banks held by some companies. Some colleges do publish the amounts they offer as merit sholarships and what the standards are, so that part is sometimes public information.

The interest rate on federal student loansis scheduled to rise in July to about 6.9%

Although federal work-study is based upon a formula, some financial aid offices offer it more than others. Some majors will have more offerings for non-federal aid than others, so that makes a reason to choose a major.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9087378

THanks for sharing info.

I wish I had a nickel for every software update we get from Apple (iTunes)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9087853

[quote="sallyg"]I wish I had a nickel for every software update we get from Apple (iTunes)[/quote]

tell me about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9094813

Nice. We bail them out. Still own part of the company, and they do this:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120423/AUTO0103/204230371/1148/auto01/GM-build-2013-Cadillac-XTS-China-year

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9094886

How thoughtful of them to 'address the needs of luxury car buyers.' (and ignore the needs of desperate, struggling blue collar workers...)

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9097676

I feel I pay way more than my fair share of income taxes. I don't know what the percentage is, but it's at least 25%, and that's a huge chunk out of my paltry $30,000 a year income. And that's not poverty level for a single person. If I didn't live with my father and sister, etc., I would not be able to afford an apartment on my own. There's just no way, not when rent is over $800 a month for a crappy place. I get really anxious thinking about it, so I better stop.

I thought this was interesting. This woman won a lawsuit against a collection agency that was harassing her big time. The story is going to air on Nightline tonight, on ABC.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/va-woman-fights-collect-10-million-debt-collectors/story?id=16205697#.T5h-mFJSS0I

Karen

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9097752

Just adding up my federal, state and property taxes paid last year, it is about 27%. Add in social security, medicaid, medicare, mass transit and sales tax and it must easily top 40%. Ludicrous. And what do I get? Schools are decent - no better. Have to pay for trash pickup. NYS is closing parks. It's really sickening. Yet the local cops all make six figures. Teachers too, and they pay NOTHING into their health and retirement. Don't get me started! My property tax is now more than the mortgage!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9097771

Ahh, Life in the Fast Lane...

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9097774

Yeah, snail in the fast lane.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9097822

Don't forget incidental fees like car registration and drivers licensing, building permits, The share of local licensing fees paid by businesses which are passed on in costs...
; ^)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9097860

And fuel tax, road and use tax on tires, the payroll taxes that employers pay for their employees which is added to the cost of merchandise manufactured that the public purchases. One could go crazy thinking about taxes... revolting isn't it. LOL

Karen ~ I understand where you are coming from. When I was young and single, minimum wage was cheaper but the cost of living was even cheaper. How did it get so out of hand. I don't know any young adults that can move out on their own without the folks' assistance.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9097911

Yes, there are so many more taxes, fees, etc. Hate to dwell on it.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9099126

Yes, the thought of all the taxes and fees we pay is really sickening. I don't like to think about it too much. Don't forget excise tax.

Pod, and I'm not even young. Single, yes, but 49 I wouldn't consider young. Divorced, actually, and never got a dime, either. I make more than minimum wage, but still, I work 60 hours a week on average. When I mentioned my income above, that was before taxes. I would sooo love to make my living selling daylilies and other perennials, but I just don't see how I can do that other than at the hobby level. I work too much and don't have enough to put into a business. I get so discouraged and depressed, cause I feel like unless I'm extremely lucky and hit the lottery or find a man who wants to spend his life with me and get into the plant business as badly as I do (and has a bit of money), then I don't see how I'm ever going to realize that dream.

Okay, enough of that. Just had to vent a little.

Karen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9103678

2 ladies that used to work for me at JCP just got let go from that store today...guess they are doing another restructuring...I have a hair appt in one of the other stores I used to work in tomorrow, I'll have to get the scoop

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9104146

DH talked to buddies at Northrup Grumman. THings are very tight there still (defense/engineering/radar) they have had two layoffs in two years and are still worried.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9104167

Haven't had a hair appt in a while...

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9104170

how about a wax and shine?

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9104249

I'll take it! Buff, too.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9106471

Guess if I lost my first job, I would just try and get more PCA hours and take the time to enjoy working in my gardens. I'd have to cut back on some of my expenses, but I could do it. My only concern would be health insurance.

Karen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9106491

Found out they restructured the whole company and anyone they were letting go got the ax yesterday, found out 2 of the managers I worked with got let go also, both with over 30years

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9106546

Lots of people out of work. I'm thankful I have a job.

Karen

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9106568

Still very tough out there.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9106601

My niece hasn't worked since last Oct., and her boyfriend lost his job about 2 months ago. They've been sponging off of us ever since, and my sister won't put her foot down with them. I said something to her the other day about it, and she basically shrugged her shoulders and gave me an "I don't care" look. Really makes me angry. They sit on their buts all day in front of the TV when they could be out looking for a job. For 2 or 3 weeks they were staying at her boyfriend's mother's house, but I think she got sick of them freeloading, so them came over here.

They were getting a free ride off of me with my niece on my cell phone plan, and her boyfriend was using the phone. They were racking up charges in 411 calls and using the web with no web plan, so more charges for that. My niece said she would pay me some money towards the bill when she got her tax return, but I never saw any money from her. Then she asked to borrow $20, and told me she would sign over her PCA stipend check to me when she got it, but she signed it over to her mother instead, whom she owed $50 to. That was the last straw for me. I was pissed! That was Easter Sunday that I found out about that. I called T-Mobile and had her line suspended. We didn't hear from her and her boyfriend for 2 weeks after that. I didn't care. She was probably mad at me for shutting her off. I won't be helping her out again. Now I'm stuck with having to pay $50 a month on her line. I think I'll just have to cancel it and pay the $200 early termination fee, cause I don't think the contract on her line expires for another 18 months, and it'll cost me a lot more if I pay $50 a month for that duration. I also heard her boyfriend has been collecting $200 a month in food stamps for awhile now, and he never reported to them all the time that he had a job. When they find out about, there's gonna be hell to pay. All I can say is, Karma is coming around, baby.

Karen

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9107030

How frustrating.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9107360

Down right annoying!!

Continuing to pray for your sister. Glad you have contact with your nephew.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9109871

Yet another dismal jobs report. Only 115K jobs added. Fewest people in the work force in over 30 years.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9109926

115K divided by how many cities and towns in the US? In 2002, there were 19,000 municipal governments throughout the US, but as many as 30,000 incorporated cities.

There are over 43,000 places with unique zip codes, and probably no "cities" without their own zip codes. Many large cities have 2 or more zip codes. A guess would be around 20,000 to 25,000 including larger towns and such.

That means an estimate of 4 jobs per city, more or less. (I'd bet many are temp. help in garden centers!)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9109948

I see help wanted signs all over in this area...truck drivers, carpenters...basically blue color... the new Texas Roadhouse is now hiring
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9109978

I applied for a cashier job at a local conveinence store. I have not got a call yet and its going to open soon. I know people that work in another store that has ties and they told me there was close to 600 apps.

Going to go hide under a rock.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9109991

It gets better - NOT. Another store Jiffy Mart has 5 openings, cashier, Subway Sandwich maker etc. This is what it said.

On May 15th at the NH Unemployment Office we will take applications from 10-2. Interviews will come on a first come first serve basis.

In other words when they get the 5 they want the rest will be turned away and they dont have to deal with it!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9110194

Yes, most of the new jobs during this 'recovery' have been low-paying service jobs, with minimal or no benefits.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9110544

Well, of course they are low paying jobs. We've become only a "service industry" country since we actually manufacture less and less each year.

John Michael Greer had an interesting "take" on the various phases any and every government has gone through over the last 20 or so decades.
http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/2012/05/democracys-arc.html

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9110573

I do agree with the author's viewpoint that there are some predictable phases when a society de-evolves, and that classical Roman history contains many lessons for us today. However, there are so many events that can change and humble us as we try to think we understand the future. And the good is not the enemy of the best--whatever our ideals or woes, we have opportunities to do real good every day. This is the message in the arguably most popular movie with teens, The Hunger Games.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9110640

Rosemary, what I got big time from the link I posted is Candide's Law -- if all else fails, you can always tend your garden!

and, the old Churchill quote:
"democracy is the worst form of Government except all those other forms that have been tried"

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012

Post #9110744

Ugh.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/28196.html

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9110752

Great news all around.

http://news.investors.com/article/610306/201205040931/labor-force-shrinks-as-disability-grows.htm

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9110916

I'll say. It's good news if people feel they are able to retire.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9110919

I think he was being sarcastic...disability rates climbed...wonder if these are fake claims cause people can't find work?

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9110944

Well maybe not. Was that irony or sarcasm, Victor?

It's an aging population, and false disability claims are not all that easily made by that many people. SSDI goes to people who have a work history and who have made a contribution to the workforce.

I am glad we don't have rioting in the streets or still more crime because of hopeless poverty. Having just been in Ohio, I suspect it would be harder to have a postive outlook in more economically depressed areas, where public bus lines have been cancelled, further creating a jobless future or the necessity to move for those without transportation.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9110989

Sarcasm. Disability claims have skyrocketed the past few years.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9111156

My personal take is that the number of disability claims is a measure of how society produces what sociologists call a "surplus population." Since the people I work with daily--criminals, mentally ill, and drug addicts--don't have either jobs or disability benefits, I can say that for public safety, I'd rather they did have the benefits.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9111262

On my road trip yesterday I saw gas for $3.47... after I had filled the tank for $3.59.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9111317

Dangit, darius, hate that
Yes Rosemary, it is true that we get some societal benefit by making some people less desperate

Meanwhile, our local fancy carwash is surprisingly busy with people whose recent model cars do not look very dirty. Just funny some things that are the last thing I would spend money on, have high value to others.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9111476

Sally, part of it is the tax on gasoline. Maryland is only about a nickle more than here in VA, but states like NY and CT are more than double. See map attached.

Thumbnail by darius

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9111842

$18 in tolls to visit my MIL in rehab. How sick is that?

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9111972

Victor, that's definitely sick.

Things have not improved on the homefront, here. Waiting for my niece to piss off her mother. It will happen sooner or later, and there will be a big blowout, and then we won't see Chrystal for awhile. Praying, praying, praying...

One of these days I'm going to blow up at her if she and her boyfriend spend another day in marathon TV watching, then later in the day complain that they can't watch what they want cause my father doesn't want to watch what they're watching. Ummm... it's his house. Hello!

Karen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9112021

WOW NJ is the 2nd cheapest in something! I'm amazed

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9113068

I expect a down day in the markets tomorrow because of the European elections.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9113134

Maybe, but markets were already affected by anticipation of the election, and european unemployment. Noone seems to agree about whether the European debt crisis will cause us significant pain in the market at some point this year. Meanwhile, the first quarter runup has gone as expected.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9113186

German and Greek results were not anticipated. And in France, though the Socialist was predicted to beat Sarkozy, there was some hope of smaller parties forging a coalition.

First quarter run up is completely unjustified. Where is the good news in the fundamentals?? There is none.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9113662

France's vote is in keeping with its long tradition of facing tough times with surrender.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9115211

Well our financial woes aren't over. DD1, whose academic qualifications are pretty near to unbeatable, is starting to get offers from college waiting lists, to other fine colleges to study language education and global studies. I told her when the admissions offices call her, she has to tell them to send their financial aid/scholarship offers before she can decide. (One is in Virginia which honors Massachusetts Commonweatlh scholarships for a small break). And it also means I can't decide how much more of our investments to sell in this whipsawing market...I may be suddenly buying plane tickets too.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9115223

This college stuff ain't for the faint of heart...which VA college, if you don't mind? Hope the plane tickets don't mean bad news.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9115274

Rosemary don't know if you know this but many 'off the beaten path' colleges have some sort of travel to/from major airports for studennts especially at peak times/breaks, etc. Check Student Affairs or similar office,

I favor Southwest Air because any unused travel funds stay available for a year and there is no fee for using them. Plus I can haul a lot of stuff in two free checked bags and carry-on! When they have a sale I prebuy several round trips and then just change specific dates and times as necessary. Last time I checked they had no change fee. Their deals are only available on line on their site. Baltimore is a hub.

Sometimes I have felt like the rollercoaster ride had already begun only to find out it was still racheting up the first hill! lol

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9116500

The latest college in question is College of William and Mary. Not the most expensive of colleges, but many colleges don't offer their own grants or scholarships to the waiting list kids they invite, so we don't know the final figure.

These days, Jetblue and Southwest air have caught my attention (I didn't know about the unused travel funds policy) Williamsburg VA is on an Amtrak line, so it might work to fly into Wash Dulles or Richmond and then take the train.

I agree that the college quest is not for the faint of heart! AP exams are going strong this week, so it will be hard to achieve the college's time limit to visit and then reply. Getting one viable waitlist offer does something to the brain,too, so there's a temptation to try to wait for some more offers that might not come.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9116505

Partial scholarship from William & Mary = just Mary?? ^_^

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9116523

ha ha! hee he.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9116552

hahahahahahaha

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9117487

geez went to lunch at Wendys today with hubby, he had a combo burger meal I got a grilled chicken apple salad...$16!!!!!!!!!! REALLY????

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9117494

Cost money to make that pink slime!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9117543

Thank God Wendy's never used that pink slime meat...the only fast food we would eat(if we went once a month that's a lot)...but with those crazy prices won't be doing that anymore

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9117596

Wow - from the BLS:

324,000 Women Dropped Out of Labor Force in Last Two Months--As Number of Women Not in Labor Force Hits Historic High.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9117831

Barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.

Fast food is not always cheap anymore! It's shocked me too.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9124217

Jen, you must have gotten more than just the burger and salad. Fries???? Beverages???? Anyhow, fast food may be fast, but it's not cheap anymore unless you're ordering off the dollar menu.

coleup, I like Southwest as well for the reasons you mentioned, though last year when I went to TX I went with whoever was cheapest at the time. I'm often able to get some good deals last minute, but can't pick the airline, and they aren't nonstop, which I would prefer.

Karen

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9124367

College final choice here! All kids stuck with their choices. Waiting lists are bad news. It is impossible to negotiate a a scholarship, and they act like you would just take anything, when maybe the college really isn't all that great either. Then, DS was awarded a $1,000 scholarhip from our church because he sang in the youth choir! We are so pleased with the recognition. I hope maybe he does like my brother, who became a cantor once he had tenure, but for now he thinks he can't sing.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9124419

Rosemary- what will you do with all the rewards points from the credit card(s)? You can do Hilton for hotel, and then an airline one for flights...it lessens the pain when you get something in return LOL. Our second college, I believe, does not accept American Express, so we may want a third credit card just so we can get max rewards. Our Citi card maxes out at 300$ cash rebate per year; thats 30 000 in charges in a year. Stores are becoming less welcoming to American Express card. We got an American Airlines Visa just so we could get an instant $100 off our vacation flights. We'll have to decide whether it is worth keeping after the initial 'no annual fee' year.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9124533

Karen, hubby's meal was a combo meal, I just got the salad and iced tea...all the time thinking while I eat it, "I could have made this myself"

Whew, shopping for wood flooring for daughter's room...CRAZY...went to Lumber Liquidators whose prices I think went up considerably because they are featured on Extreme Home Makeover, but once seeing prices from regular flooring places, I've realized it really is good deal

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9125197

Good idea, Sally. I have priority club and Quicken rewards at the moment, one for hotel stays and the other toward airlines. We have to investigate Southwest Airlines more since DD1 isn't going to a Jetblue city. There are other local moms to carpool to Cleveland for driving if desired, though.

Wood flooring is so nice compared to the alternatives.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9126196

There was a $230 million shortfall in our state in projected revenues 1/3 of that was taxes...got a leak somewhere...

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9127372

Wow - at least 25K layoffs at HP.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9128072

ggggeeeez.

I'll say again, heath care seems good sector. Our major hospital near Annapolis MD is amazing, huge and beautiful.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9128084

Health care is likely to have some winners and losers. Geez, our kids have very uncertain job futures in any sector.

They have changed the retirement rules in my state. Many who want to retire after 60 and before 65 can't because the retirement board is downgrading their grade for level of contact with dangerousness in the workplace. I wish one one those board members could have followed me around on Wednesday. My problem is I wonder how many more years I will have the wits and strength to defend myself against an unexpected attack, or I wouldn't mind working a long time. Russian fiction comes to mind.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9128149

"an unexpected attack, ""

can only (not even) imagine. A friend is an aide for kids with IEPs in elementary school (various disabilities) , got bitten.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9128210

geez, was going to buy a bag of halved pecans at the store $15.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9128504

please please say that was at least two pounds, pref three

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9128545

I WISH

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9128735

Wow - and for only half the nut! ;)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9128739

LOL

went to another store and at least they were $6 cheaper...did you read that??!!!! $6 CHEAPER...they were still 9.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9128751

From China.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9128992

oh crud, don't tell me that I didn't look!!!!!!!!!!!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9134920

Not surprised at Ll to see the market swooning over Europe. Worst is yet to come.

Bad local news. Unemployment up recently in this area.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9134951

Even though the info that came out last week said unemployment dropped...I think it was by 2/10 of a %, LOL

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9134961

And very misleading. It only dropped because of so many people giving up looking. Despite the claims of all the 'jobs created' the past few years, the FACT is there are fewer people working today than any time in the past 30 years. Scary.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9134965

Gasoline is still coming down slowly. Think the fact that it's an election year has any effect?

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9135063

No - crude has come way down due to the global jitters.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9135127

Crude is now under $90. Yay for global chaos and looming recession! ;)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9135243

I'm thinking gas prices should be falling a little faster

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9135345

gas prices are going up here. Summer is here!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9135429

Talk about mind-boggling. The biggest obstacle to solar power becoming a significant portion of the nation's electricity output has been cost. I never would have installed mine without the tax incentives. Well, now that the Chinese have been able to produce panels cheaply, our government slaps a huge tariff on them to help out our struggling solar industry. Ludicrous.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9135433

good luck with chinese panels - if the manufacturing is not controlled by westerns who are on the floor of the plant at all times they product will be crap.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9135489

Not true. Most installers have been using them already.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9135509

Solar Installers Offer Deals
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/business/energy-environment/solar-installers-offer-homeowners-deals-gaining-converts.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20120510

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9135514

I would never go for that.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9135921

victor i have worked with chinese manufacturers for years - if you do not watch them they will substitute lower cost components which will result in substandard products.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9135946

Not arguing that. Lots of what they make is absolute crap. However, as long as you are not dumb enough to do it yourself, it's the installer who guarantees all the work. With the incentives program in NY, installers are approved by the sites agency that provides the program. This puts the onus on them to do all the quality assurance necessary.
By the way, like it or not (and I don't), these days even lots of electronics used in sensitive applications in our country is made in China. They have made a lot of progress in some areas.
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9136120

Gas prices are still very high here in northern California. I filled up last week for $4.27 a gallon. Unemployment is right around 11% in Sacramento and our state's budget shortfall keeps getting worse (now about $16 billion!).

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9136250

We've been investigating solar. State of MA has been offering huge incentives and tax credits, and because we don't have municipal power, we could signficantly reduce our electric bill, if the sales people are correct. Once a certain power percentage is reached, supposedly the price guarantee for returns is for the next 10 years, and system pays for itself in six, plus tax savings come with getting a home equity loan.

We did discover that the marketing is misleading. The company that talked to us had big American flags on all their compenents, and said all was made in America, but the senors clearly aren't.

The area on our roof that wouldn't need any tree trimming is flat. We have been worried about leaks. There used to be a free-standing product you could clamp on, and supposedly all US made, but they went out of business.

The big outdoor retail store REI is building a commercial solar roof over their parking lot in Framingham. I thought I might ask if the manager there knows anything to share with us.

We're wondering why more adventurous folks aren't installing solar, if there's something we've failed to recognize about it. If its best production is in summer, that's when the ac is running, so that's also when we need it most.

Also, the state offers an energy audit. It's a no-brainer to get that. We're just too busy to do anything right now.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9136285

In our lovely state if you put in solar panels your taxes go up cause it's considered a home improvement...so you don't save anything...

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9136326

Apparantly there's a provision here that assessments of home values are not allowed to go up because of solar. This is odd--if I sold the house, i could even keep the earnings for energy saveings off the grid, but usually people would sell that with the house.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9136604

Yes - here there was a 15 yr moratorium on property tax hikes based on the solar. Hopefully, they will extend it.

Summer is not the best output, Rose. Higher temps equal lower efficiency, so lower output. I get the best output in spring. Ideal is sun high in the clear sky, but with lowest possible temps.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9136667

I imagine the sellers give you 'ideal' output numbers.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9136746

My guy was great. My output has exceeded his numbers.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9136851

:)

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9136903

And this will make my investment even more valuable:

Last week the U.S. Energy Information Administration reported a shocking drop in power sector coal consumption in the first quarter of 2012. Coal-fired power plants are now generating just 36 percent of U.S. electricity, versus 44.6 percent just one year ago.

Last week PJM Interconnection, the company that operates the electric grid for 13 states (Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and the District of Columbia) held its 2015 capacity auction.

The market-clearing price for new 2015 capacity – almost all natural gas – was $136 per megawatt. That’s eight times higher than the price for 2012, which was just $16 per megawatt. In the mid-Atlantic area covering New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and DC the new price is $167 per megawatt. For the northern Ohio territory served by FirstEnergy, the price is a shocking $357 per megawatt.

Why the massive price increases? Andy Ott from PJM stated the obvious: “Capacity prices were higher than last year's because of retirements of existing coal-fired generation resulting largely from environmental regulations which go into effect in 2015.” Northern Ohio is suffering from more forced coal-plant retirements than the rest of the region, hence the even higher price.

These are not computer models or projections or estimates. These are the actual prices that electric distributors have agreed to pay for new capacity. The costs will be passed on to consumers at the retail level.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2012

Post #9137175

there goes my bil!

This message was edited May 24, 2012 7:19 PM

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9137301

Wow. I think I see some Ohio college tuition hikes on the horizon. Oberlin has geothermal energy in some of its newer buildings, though.

Having spring as the best output period for solar energy does make sense. The salesperson's charts told us summer on the basis of New England being cooler than the southern states such as Texas, and saying we have more clear days, and longer sun around solstice in summer. I don't know if there's a regional difference compared to mid atlantic states, since we might be a little cooler. Our growing season is a bit shorter.

We still haven't had our free energy audit.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9137784

THoseelectricity prices are truly shocking.

We need new non electric hobbies; here's one idea
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/flower-pots-from-logs-issue-title-is-ladies-first

I'm sure this will overtake Tupperware and Bunco parties in popularity- (snort)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9137800

LOL

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9138435

Another way we were ripped off in this bailout.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120525/BUSINESS0101/120525023/General-Motors-GM-Dan-Ammann-deal-for-wife?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9145126

Was shopping for a fancier dress for my daughter for her k garduation, was at Kohl's everything was on sale but the regular prices were INSANE!!!
For a little girls dress(and not for a wedding) $58!!!!!!!!!! really what the heck...so I remembered the little consignment shop in town... found the perfect dress $2.50 baby!!!!!!!!!!!
yes you read that right 2 dollars and 50 cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woo hoo!!!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9145238

Awesome, Jen. I love thrifting!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9145581

Kids clothes are ridiculous. Shoes too.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9145613

Ditto Kohl's prices. Ditto thrifting! Especially for kids clothes. Congrats Jen!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9147316

Horrible job numbers. Just 70K jobs added.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9147380

Brutal chart.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703338004575230041742556522.html?mod=e2tw

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9147852

Don't look at the market numbers. In addition to the pathetic May jobs number, the already disappointing April number of 115K was revised down to just 77K. How are they off by so much?!! That is a 33% decrease.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2012

Post #9147982

Market is down, thanks to the employment numbers.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9148054

More like 'lack of employment' numbers.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9148058

As I posted about many months ago, slowing economy in China is a huge negative hanging out there.
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9148089

Have you guys heard about the invesment strategy "Sell in May and go away"? Here's a quick Wikipedia entry on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_indicator

I'm starting to think that there might be something to this and that my "buy and hold" (more or less) strategy might not be the best way to invest.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9148102

Yes, that's an oldie. I have sold most of my stock holdings over the last number of months so I am waiting for a big drop.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9148516

Wow - the yield on German bonds actually went negative today. So people paid to lend Germany money!
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9148768

Re: unemployment numbers: One of our employees is retiring and the young turk at the office in charge of human resources decided to send the job off shore instead of hiring a replacement. We keep getting 30 year olds put at the helm of the ship and they do nothing but reduce head count by sending jobs off shore. They went to good schools without student loans, got MBAs and had connections to get into a big corporation in management positions right after school. They think that the bottom line is the ONLY thing that matters - not quality - not customer service - not people - not history. It is a sad, sad state of affairs.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9149607

Hey sox, I share your sentiment. I actually split the difference and only sold some stock this year. If the stock yields high dividend payments, it is worth the risk to try and keep it, in my view. I think it's all about how much risk one can tolerate. I had to keep something safe for kid education, which is a short time window.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9151266

28 year low for Japanese stocks. Yikes.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9151882

Talk about a dire warning:

"The warnings from the bond markets could hardly be clearer. German 10-year Bund yields closed at 1.17pc. The two-year notes turned negative. British Gilts closed at 1.53pc, the lowest in 300 years. US Treasuries fell to 1.45pc, lower than at any time during the Great Depression."

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9151916

Indeed, it is a myth to think bonds are a safe investment. Still, it is unclear to me exactly what this portends besides market jitters while the Euro is in question.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9151983

More than jitters. A breakup of the Euro will be huge. It is not limited to Europe. To boot, China and India are slowing greatly, unlike during the crisis of '08 when they kept chugging. There is a good chance in my opinion that we may be in for a bigger jolt than four years ago. And don't forget the confluence of bad news in this country. Terrible job numbers. Anemic GDP growth and the fiscal time-bomb at the end of the year.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2012 7:47 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9152344

Ugh.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9152359

I'm not sure about that Victor, nor am I sure about anything with the market. Economic growth is slowing, clearly, but still growing, though at slower pace internationally. There's a lot of alarmist press out there because that sells the papers, in my opinion. An important reason for the low job figures in May is that there's a bump of people entering the job market. Many retirees wait until end of June to retire, also. I'm hoping we are having a market correction.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9152370

On the contrary, the state of the economy is greatly underreported in this country. Try to find a story about the situation in China in any major paper or network. You have to dig into alternative sources, not newspapers. Who buys newspapers anymore anyway? No one, especially not younger people.

With all due respect, I think you are totally off on the job numbers. Labor participation rate is horrendously low. That is why the unemployment rate is so artifially below where it would really be. And the underemployment rate is in the high teens.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9152374

Here is one article on this.

http://news.investors.com/article/613657/201206041920/working-age-employment-rates-near-historic-lows.htm

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9152390

not too many are adding jobs as companies have found they can do with less people

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9152396

I think that can only go so far. I think the main reasons they are not hiring are that, a) they are not convinced the economy will grow steadily anytime soon, and, b) they have so many uncertainties on the expense side - taxes, healthcare mandates, regulations, etc.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2012 8:13 PM

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9152400

I agree, I think they are not sure enough of growth to add people.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9152410

This is pretty freaky!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/china-index-level-spells-bizarre-tiananmen-message-2012-06-04?mod=e2tw

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9153381

This says it all.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/06/04/open-job-at-boston-law-firm-pays-just-10000-per-year/

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9153395

Facebook is under 26. Some poor sucker bought it at 45!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9158046

If you don't mind the long commute...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/92108d0a-b13b-11e1-9800-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1xJHZVcdF

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9173239

UGH so hard to get good help these days our new bookkeeper made a HUGE mistake and had a enormous withdrawl of federal withholding taken out of our account(the IRS won't give it back)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9173245

Well, I never really thought I'd see the day again of gasoline dropped below $3, but bought gas today for $2.989 in Bristol, @ Sam's Club. Other stations were $3.06

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9173264

Hard to believe, Jen, with this economy.

Darius-not for good reasons.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9173267

wow, I still paid 3.34 today
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9173308

[quote="victorgardener"]

Darius-not for good reasons. [/quote]

Could you elaborate?

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9173317

Gas prices, and crude prices, are down because of global economic problems & fear.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9173985

Gas still at $ 3.69 here.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9174166

Ours has crept down to 3 29 at some places. I feared it was just as victor says. But I'm still 'glad'
Maryland has some depressing jobs data. So what else is new. : ^P

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9174170

About $3.70 here.

Wow - 30 year mortgage is 3.66% - lowest ever. Great for new buyers with stable jobs.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9174435

Also great for the transfer of wealth from the public to the private sector as muttiple billons of govt mortgages are liqudated into private investor hands and then rented back to less than perfect credit individuals or written off as losses which the banks are loathe to disclose the details on how much these security backed assets are worth.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9174445

Hopefully, they have learned their lesson and are doing that less often. I am not convinced. That's what started this whole mess.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9174454

Crude under $79.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9175845

This says it all about Europe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/world/europe/europe-court-says-sick-workers-can-retake-vacations.html?_r=2

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9175953

Different attitude all right.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9175964

Entitlement ingrained.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9175983

Sad. I just don't understand this type of attitude.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9176472

Money is money. I need a job. What close to 3 years now? Aint taking no flipping burgers a MD's.

Jim just got the word that the mill he is working at is going down temporarily. He will now have to drive further to another mill. He will travel 1.5 hours a day to go to work.

Arghhhhhhhh. The average man spends 9 months of his life in a bathroom let alone traveling to work. "not happy"

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9176731

As you said $ is $ and if you get deperate enough it may come down to flipping burgers
good he can at least work at another one, have to look on the bright side somehow

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9187749

Just wanted to post this to back up what I have been saying about the teachers where I live. This is from a site that posts public employee salaries. Keep in mind, this is salary only - does not include benefits, into which they contribute ZERO. I blurred over her name.

Thumbnail by victorgardener

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9188054

sheesh

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9188059

$120K for 180 days work. That's almost $700 per day.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9188066

That is CRAZY!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9188100

Unreal.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9188132

Yep. Property tax was $5K 14 yrs ago. It is now $13K.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2012

Post #9189010

where do i apply?
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9189615

My property tax bill came over the weekend. It now tops $5100 for my 2 bedroom, 1 bath house on a 1/10th acre. And I am getting a deal because I have a garage and a bedroom in the attic that my neighbor doesn't have and his taxes are about the same. Reminded me to keep the old car running so I don't have to pay $41 per thousand on a new car.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9190438

ouch.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9190469

gas prices are going up again. was 3.09 now 3.39.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9190490

Ahh - the good old days - a $5K tax bill.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9190609

Just added a signed copy of a book by original Mercury astronaut, Wally Schirra, to the collection. Best part - it is inscribed, 'To Vic', so now I can lie! ^_^

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2012

Post #9190611

too funny!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9190663

LOL

Yes 10˘ more than last week

I remember paying under 4K for our house on the lake...ya, the good old days

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9195982

Wow - making today's horrible job numbers even worse is the fact that 25K, nearly one third, were temp jobs!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9195987

And how pathetic is this?!!

http://news.investors.com/article/617233/201207061636/disability-climbs-faster-than-jobs-under-obama.htm

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
10:55 PM

Post #9196087

ugh.
How is it that all these people are 'now' disabled? How is that? Joint problems from standing in the line for job applications, We wish.

My two teens with service jobs were talking about coworkers showing up high, or just not showing up... How is THAT, that anyone in this time can take any job for granted???

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9196424

That's the mentality these days - figure out how to play the system. WAY too easy to be classified as disabled these days. I know this firsthand because of my wife. The Americans with Disabilities Act was hailed as a positive thing when passed, but it has been grossly abused. In the past 20 years, we went from 3.3 to 8.7 million 'disabled'. The ironic thing is - many, if not most, truly disabled people - like my wife's spinal cord patients, WANT to work. It's the leeches who are not really disabled who just want checks. She designated one patient as only 60% disabled and he threatened her!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9196482

Gas went here from $2.99 last week to $3.09 and then $3.19 in the last 5 days... no smaller increments than 10˘...

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9196495

has here jumped $.20, it's now $3.59

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9196512

In the $3.60s and higher here.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9197712

I figured the low prices wouldn't last :(

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9197729

I encounter disabled people in my work every day too. I do wish we had a better way to handle people whose disability is because they drink or do drugs. However, even this is at least 60 % affected by genes, so the rest of us can be happy about our family history.

The manner in which SSI disability determination is done deserves a better look because its usually based upon a half hour interview and a record review. I could do that work if I moonlighted, but i don't want the responsibility. I can tell you that I do not rely upon the SSI diagnosis but i ask about it anyway just to see how close they are to what I know for my work in the courts. It's the criminals whose information is the most divergent from apparent reality. The good news is that law inforcement is always trying to lock those guys up for their crimes, and there are some truly dedicted probation and parole officers who are onto them.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9197736

The genetic basis for drug and alcohol abuse is a hotly debated topic. I do not believe it is anywhere near settled yet. And it's not just that. It's the people who get some injury on the job who want to milk it into a permanent disability check. Also, these days, it's obese people claiming disability for their problems which are a result of their life choices.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9197743

There's something screwed up about getting an injury due to a specific job meaning you should get paid forever and NOT have another job. Don't we have OSHA and regs to keep workplaces from being overly dangerous?

If my only skill is running a cash register, and I get carpal tunnel syndrome from doing it too much, can I get disability? Isn't it my fault for not having or finding any other skills?

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9197774

It's more than that. Sometimes people do get an injury that prevents them from doing the job they were doing. But they seek total disability - meaning they cannot do ANY job. That is despicable.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9198362

I believe the debate about genes and substance abuse is mostly about how much is affected by genes, but most say it's between 40-60% and that is the SAMSA figure. It's apparently genetic that some people can tolerate more alcohol than others, and the more a person can "hold their liquor" the more potential there is for addiction.

Different disability insurances also affect whether a person would want to claim a partial disability or not.

It's always a problem when a person decides to fake "bad." If a person is exaggerating a symptom it is not easy to tell. This is at the crux of what I do for a living. If I'm not sure, I still have the option to send someone to a psychiatric hospital so it is easier to decide if they are faking using tests and observation.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9198382

Well speaking from personal familial experience, predisposition does not equal disability nor disease. My very large maternal family has its share of alcoholics. They still ate the minority, luckily. So choice, control, etc., plays a large part. Siblings, who have the same predisposition, have totally different outcomes.

I believe only doctors can/should determine level of disability. And the patient's insurance should have no influence on what the doctor determines. It's not up to the patient to choose his level of disability!

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9198418

I am considered a doctor but a determination is done after reading MD reports. Most MDs would not want to work for such low pay, and it's even low pay for me to do the eligibility determinations because I would try to do it carefully. I'm not saying the insurance affects the doctors, but it might affect what someones motivations might be to exaggerate their illness.

Genetics never completely control us, thankfully, but they do stack the deck, and it's a mistake to think behavioral conditions are much different than diabetes or other medical conditions. This battle for parity in insurance for psychiatric conditions was a long and hard battle.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9198458

Saw headline today, teacher in my lovely state gets to keep her job after slapping a special ed student...I couldn't even read the article, just ticks me off to no end!!!!!!!!!!!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9207570

why are gas prices going up?

anyone see the comment from the prez that if you are a business owner it was government that built your business and not you? really? hmmmm

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9207714

Yes - and I will refrain from commenting.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9208067

Interesting ~ I missed that but am reminded of DHs' comment about all the taxing entities make more out of our small business than we do and they don't even show up to make the coffee.

Why are gas prices climbing?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9208104

you can go make all the comments you want on my fb page ^_^

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9210499

Yet another solar startup that received tax dollars has gone under. This one got ONLY 20 million.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9210760

geez

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9211449

Did we talk about useless licenses once?
Rading about rain barrels, I see reference to the American Rainwater Catchment Systems Association. and their courses fort accreditation
http://www.rainharvest.com/arcsa-rainwater-harvesting-certification-courses-level-300.asp?bc=no
Is that not rediculous???

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9217448

A rare earnings miss from Apple today. Look for the losses to continue tomorrow.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9217495

Guess that's certified to install a rain barrel system? pretty soon only licensed professionals will be able to do so they'll need a business license and have to pay the state and fed gov every year, and then if you install it yourself you'll get fined

I have no $ in stock market so makes no diff to me

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9217502

No 401 (k), no pension, no insurance (non-term), no annuities?? Nothing? Mattress?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9217504

Gasoline has gone up 10% or more in the last 3 weeks.

I have some political remarks I could make regarding the Colorado shootings, but this is not the place.
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9217614

Apple was down 5.5% in overnight trading. More to follow tomorrow?

Darius, I read your blog post about the shootings. It was very thought provoking.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9217778

never been a fan of apple
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9217829

[quote="darius"]I have some political remarks I could make regarding the Colorado shootings, but this is not the place.[/quote]

I'm vocal - on the news it said: He was Federally funded for schooling and got $26,000 IN CASH - "we the tax payers pay for".

A woman in NH got fired for not selling a man a pack of cigaretts. He tried to buy them with an EBT card. There is 2 types of EBT cards, one for food/stamps and one for cash or for neccessity items.

Cigaretts, alcohol and guns are a pleasure. There should be some rules to what you can buy and what you cant. That guy should not have 26 grand to do as he pleases.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2012 8:21 AM

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9217950

where's your blog Darius?

Why the heck did they fire her?
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9217975

He had an EBT card (federal welfare type card) she did not sell him cigaretts as she felt it was not right. The cash EBT card is used for items NEEDED like soap, shampoo, laundry detergent etc.

EBT card food - you can only by FOOD, you cant buy a can of dog food. You cant buy prepared foods.
EBT CASH card for neccessitys - You can buy what ever you want.

In NY they are screaming over this as strip clubs have put in machines where they can use the Federally funded card to see ladies in the raw!!!

A person that is getting federal help should be able to by stuff for pleasure! Working people pay for this and its just So Not Right.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9218065

agree, they should use their own $

Darius, checked out the blog, we had some of the same thoughts

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9218570

Gotta love this:

"...a federally-funded Oklahoma Job Corps program spent around $76,000 per person to help youth secure minimum wage jobs."

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9218591

There's something seriously wrong in this country, and I cannot really point anywhere to a culprit. It's so myriad in complexity that we'll never untangle it.

I've been reading some of the alternatives to our current Republic. None make me happy, but neither does the current Republic.

Have any of you thought about where to draw the line and finally stand up?

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9218691

We're well past my line.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9220393

Unemployment rate in Spain for those under 25 is 53%!! Yikes.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9220410

OMG! I bet they all live with their parents because they can't afford to live anywhere else!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9220443

I'm sure.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2012

Post #9220459

wow - a lot of college kids here are back with thier parents. i have a friend with 4 kids - two out of college -very good colleges and he now has a full nest again.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9220795

Unfreakingbelievable. And this is GM - still owned partly by us!

http://news.investors.com/article/620090/201207271807/gm-risky-subprime-auto-loans-fuel-sales.htm
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9220834

Everything is going up in price from clothes to food and people are not getting raises. Hello

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9220849

You pay an arm and a leg for Head and Shoulders.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9220856

schickenlady, that's very true, yet almost no one in most areas (esp. the NE US where there is still some viable economy) are making provisions, even something as simple as a vegetable garden. We need a different mindset, because the huge digital screen tv's and iPhones are never going to feed us or keep us warm.

The golden days of cheap fuel that came from 500,000 years of decaying stuff underground are gone, and fracking shale for a few thimblefuls of gas/oil isn't going to replace it.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2012

Post #9220937

We drove through northwest North Dakota today. It is a booming area because of the oil. It was amazing. I think the majority of the vehicles were pickup trucks and construction vehicles. We were told not to try to find a motel room there and we found out why. There also are temporary 'cities' set up with modular structures and fields and fields of all sorts of mbile trailers. My mind thought this is what the gold rush was like to some extent.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9220972

I read a very interesting article in New Yorker Magazine about that boom. Sounds just like the gold rush.

Some people who still had land there did well selling the mineral rights.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9221570

I needed some Miracle Whip and it was $6.99 at CVS for a squeeze bottle. It will take a miracle for me to pay that price!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9221617

rofl ( sadly!)

Food prices at some non food stores are insane. Well, MORE insane.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9222283

We don't believe in overdoing the credit in our family. I am sooo glad we didn't let our kids go to the most expensive colleges, and that they are fine with that. They don't understand yet why I have them put their savings into a credit union. Keep explaining to them that these institutions are honest money for the little guy (i.e. student) and a better return for their debit accounts.

The state colleges are growing by leaps and bounds because they have learned how to partner with businesses that will give internships that lead to jobs. Umass Lowell only gets 23% of its support from the state, but they have five huge building projects, including its new nanotech and plastics engineering building opening this fall. Amherst is creating a megasized complex of biological science research buildings and an honors dorm next to it.

I think the working stock market formula is to overweigh large cap growth stocks, and watch what sector--great returns on the media stocks, but I don't think I trust them though I probably would make quick money if I did. Sadly, just as we see in Victor's article, some of the financials are booming too--also scary. I've always done well with consumer products that we have to buy.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9222755

Finally pulled the trigger on a re-fi. New 15 yr rate will be 3.25% with ZERO closing costs. Been with Chase for ten years and they're offering this to their existing customers who always pay on time, etc. It's part of a Fed program. Will save $240 a month and pay off sooner.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9222757

And this is on top of $220 a month reduction in my property taxes from challenging last year.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2012

Post #9222768

nice rate

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9222774

Yes - plus I will continue extra principal payments to save more $ and speed up the payoff.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9222779

same here

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9222798

Thanks! Didn't know you were chipping in for me. What a guy!! ^_^

This message was edited Jul 29, 2012 11:31 PM
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9223325

I see food prices going up everytime I go to the store. Starting to get under my skin.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9223538

Do they ever go down??!
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9223548

No , but your mortage did !!!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9223559

True, but the savings will go right to the higher food prices! Can't win.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9224042

Between DH and I we'll be getting 7 different w-2s for taxes of 2012. Ah the part time life! Makes filling out that w-4 (how many exemptions do you want) quite a WAG

One day I looked in my grocery cart and every meat item was 'ground' in some way...ground beef, sausage, meatballs...Ah the part time life!

I could not believe that our store had a huge pack of RED salmon fillet, the pack total was 35$. I don't know anyone who shops at this store who's gonna buy a $35 pack of red salmon fillets.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9224172

$35? wow, that is crazy!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9224179

Sounds fishy.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9224691

The price of iced coffe has gone up 20% at everywhere I buy it. Think I am enjoying my last iced coffe right now.

Edited to say 20 instead of 10.

This message was edited Jul 31, 2012 10:45 AM

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9224774

Corn prices are crazy high. Will cause all food prices to rise.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9224829

67 to 73 percent of all products in grocery store contain 'corn or its by products'

Much of US corn crop is 'fried'. Debates over whether disposition of any greatly diminished yields will go to livestock feed or ethanol production.

Will effect 'exports' majorly as 'highest bidder' will most likely be off shore.

Herds and flocks are being downsized in face of limited availability of feedstuffs and costs to feed them.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9224830

Anyone looking to upsize???

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20120731/midtown/nations-most-expensive-apartment-for-sale-for-100m

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9224837

and yet they'll chalk it up to global warming and force all of us to drive electric cars
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9224858

Jen, I don't follow your comment. Could you elaborate?

All of us world wide who grow things are dependent on the sun shining, the wind blowing and the rain falling. Maybe next years garden will return to normal for our areas but for me, I'm leaning towards more and more 'challenges' ahead.

In Nevada, 400+ year old tress as well as 150 + year old trees are dieing when they have withstood all of the changes up til now. What to make of this?

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9224882

Pays to be persistent. Just off the phone with tech support for the Roomba floor robot. Started acting weird - going backwards in a tight radius. They had me blow it out, etc., but to no avail. They said the bumper sensor was shot. Could not be replaced so a new unit was needed. Out of warranty, of course. They offered a discount on a better model. Would cost $200 instead of over $500. I said I would think about it and was very disappointed, as this was my second one to crap out after not very many uses. They then reduced the price to $160. Said I would still have to think about it but was very hesitant to put any more $ into these. Off to speak with the supervisor again and - voila - free replacement! Just not getting the accessories, which I have already. And I have to pay shipping to send the old one back. Should not have to go through all that, but it does pay!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9224905

yep pays to be persistant, guess you just have to ask for the ceo as soon as you get on the phone, LOL

Coleup, I can't elaborate on here, I'll get kicked off
Just that because they can't grow the corn to produce the ethanol, so they need to blame it on a unrealistic theory and then force us to use other means
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9224954

Jen - maybe there is a bright side to the drought and lack of corn - maybe we will finally start producing from some of the other energy sources that haven't been used yet because of the availability of corn.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9224955

Like the ground up carcasses of the politicians who thought to use corn as a fuel!! ^_^

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9224957

Today's great news update.

"Today's national debt: $15,873,767,378,850.16. Your share as a citizen: $50,543.01. Your share as a taxpayer: $139,647."

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9226049

So Facebook is now trading around $21. Some sucker bought it at $45 only weeks ago!
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9226058

Just wait until the 1.3 billion shares held by insiders are unlocked in November of this year. If supply and demand still has any sway in economics, the stock price should plummet.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9226075

Who bought it? Victor ????

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9226080

Hate FB. Would never invest in it and I advised all friends to steer clear.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9227389

Only a gov enterprise could manage this.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/amtrak-lost-800m-on-cheeseburgers-and-soda/article/2503832
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9227486

Ugh!!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9227769

AUDIT!!! Where did the $ go?

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9229167

So all said and done,Victor, I'd like to know if the Rhumba is worth getting. We have constant fur flying about our floors so it would have to help us with that.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9229325

It works very well when it's working. Look for it on sale. I always got it from Woot at a steep discount.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9230123

Maxwell House Coffee. I buy original roast. Today picked up one & it said " New Packaging for Fresh Taste " I put it down as I hate change.

Found 1 with the original container. 2Lbs new container 1Lb 14oz both still 8.99

Thank you wonderful world.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9230320

They're just being fresh.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9230339

Ah yes the incredible shrinking size ploy. Ice cream, mayo...
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9230345

Toilet paper

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9230555

I'm gong to look for a cheap Rhumba!

I convinced DH to at least talk to the solar company but I bet we missed the $2,000 tax credit by now.

Financial energies are percolating here. Driven by desire to avoid college debt. Considering how last wednesay the market was up 200 point s until the jobs announcement caused the Dow to close 36 points lower than before---all I can say is--- dollar cost averaging for any new investment. Hold your hats for the ride we'll have in the next six months.

Any bets on whether the Bush tax credits will be extended by either a republican or a democratic administration? My money is on increased taxes including on middle class, and rising interest rates after the election.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2012

Post #9230560

I think all the tax cuts will be extended. I don't see interest rates rising for some time. Economy still stinks.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9230617

I agree, but I think the uncertainty is causing lots of ripples, and then who will get the tax cuts? Interest rates won't rise much for a while but college loans costs are already in the balance, and interest rate increases would be tough for our kids getting their homes.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9230664

I believe status quo on rates will hold. I also believe, as I have maintained for a very long time, that the worst is yet to come from Europe. Two other bad possible (if not probable) scenarios include a financial crisis in China and military action against Iran.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9230666

On a positive note, I will be adding a first edition, rebound (leather) Jane Eyre soon!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9230709

Victor, do you7 read those books, or only collect them?

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9230712

These are for collecting. I have already read many of them. I consider Jane a 'chick book'. ^_^
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9230884

5 pound bag of sugar is now 4 pounds.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9230894

oh yeah, I've seen that.
Variation on the ploy= Make a new type of product, make the box smaller. Example- 'healthy' style pastas, the pseudo pound box is just 12 ounces.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9230895

I think sugar in bags has been 4# for at least a year in most places, including my area. It must depend on what the distributor has in inventory, and the turnover rate in the local markets.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2012
3:45 AM

Post #9231135

Oh - guess I haven't bought white sugar in awhile then. Canning "season" is coming up and I want to be prepared. Looks like I can can asian pears - didn't think of that last year. I am going to pick the Aronia berries as they get ripe and store them in my neighbor's freezer until the weather cools down to make jelly. Kind of a puny year for jam and jelly with no gooseberries. Have new "lifetime" lids to try out this year.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9231289

will have to check out the lids memory
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9231353

Bill - this isn't where I bought them - but here they are. http://www.directive21.com/products/tattler-reusable-canning-lids/ I was disappointed that the lids are plastic. I haven't tried them out yet - so don't buy on my recommendation - cause I don't have any experience. What I think would be best are the jars that have glass lids and use a rubber ring and two metal clips - but they are hard to find. I still need the metal canning lids for stuff that I give away.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9231515

I have seen the life time lids but dont dare to try them. I see them as plastic and what plastic last for ever?

If I cant hear the metal lids pop, I am never happy.

Edit to say - I hate to say it but I think I belive what Victor said, that the worse it yet to come. Something is going to tip something. There is a sour taste, simply when it comes to the number of people on unemployment, the people that do not have jobs that their unemployment has expired and people like me just looking for a stinking job. I know 4 people in one small city, like me...

This message was edited Aug 6, 2012 10:38 AM
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9231556

I LOVE hearing the lids pop, too!

I think that the situation is bordering on the verge of catastrophic change. I am terrified of retirement!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9231572

Hope the plastic is BPA free!
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9231643

That I don't know about - I didn't realize the lids were plastic when I ordered. In theory, the lid should never touch the food because of the headspace in the jars.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2012

Post #9231650

like to hear the pop in the lid myself - especially to one when you open a jar for the first time:)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9233115

Heard a guy on tv the other night . His theory/ view is that the big wave of baby boomers has ended their big spending time of their lives and are now hanging onto funds. It sure makes sense. Simple demographics.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9233245

yep makes sense to me

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9233770

And they're forced to delay retirement as well.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2012
11:04 PM

Post #9233796

Or take the 'entry' jobs that younger workers want.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9234085

Stupid irs, remember me telling you our book keeper made a mistake with a huge tax overpayment? I get a letter stating that we overpaid them but then they charged a late fee and penalty for the month after...IDIOTS
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9234476

Guess I am still looking for a stinking job. Misery or not but not flipping burgers...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9234526

jen IDIOTS

oh Sherrie, I'm sorry...

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9234535

Over 100 million Americans receiving some type of Fed welfare. Incredible.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9234653

That stinks Sherrie

over 100 million???that's crazy, hope their fraud division is working overtime, cause ya know someone's cat or dog or dead wife is receiving benefits
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9234751

I could get welfare if I wanted. Food Stamps or something. but I wont.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9234855

People like you who work hard and want to work and are just on a bad streak are who the program is really for! Not for the lazy bums and frauds.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9235094

even programs like WIC need to be revamped, my friend's hubby lost his job they just had another baby, so they have a 2 yr old and a 7 month old, she went on WIC for awhile, they gave them 5 gallons of milk a week, come on now, a baby that is being breast fed and a 2 year old can NOT possibly drink all that milk, she was giving it away...what a waste of $
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9235389

Agreed!!
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9235436

Just got 3 cards in the mail. It says give them to your family/ friends. Scriptrelief / Rxrelief. 75% off your prescriptions. Just use it, no strings attached. Nothing. It came from Healthcare Alliance Washington DC.

They have a website http://thehealthcarealliance.com/rxrelief.aspx

I talked to a freind and she uses the card as she has no insurance.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2012 12:48 PM

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9235708

interesting
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9235736

United Way visits my company once a year and they handed out cards like that for us to give out to people who don't have insurance.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9235747

WHoa to WIC. That might be about guarateeeing $ to the dairy lobby--?

schickenlady- We recently shopped for private health insurance. We also got a seperate mailing for some sort of insurance discount card, seemingly unconnected to the insurance.. I just don't know what's up with it...If its legit I will need it for glaucoma eyedrops, IF it works on them and not just generic.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9235770

Sad sign of the times.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-09/world-s-oldest-shipping-company-closes-amid-industry-decline-1-.html
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9235815

My friend says it didnt pay the 75% on hers but something is better then nothing.
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9235991

I work in Health Care regulation in California and have some experience with these plans. Some of these "discount plans" are legit but most are not. Make sure you check with your state's Insurance Commissioner before buying them. A lot of these plans offer steep discounts for doctor visits and medications and while the discounts might be valid, you could have a tough time finding a doctor or a pharmacy that has a contract with the discount plan which makes those discounts worthless. Caveat emptor.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9236115

Mind-numbing.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-08/blink-u-s-debt-just-grew-by-11-trillion.html

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9236182

thanks Gardensox. 'When it sounds too good to be true..."

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9236344

received an email from a swing set company, 18.75% off oooooooooo what a bargain! and what the heck is with the 18.75???

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9236451

I've been reading a lot of articles like Victors about the strength of lack thereof in our economy, economist Harry Dent from Forbes, for example. Not one of them has addressed the likelihood that baby boomers are not likely to just sit in their rocking chairs. Those who can will probably keep up some kind of work, especially if they are taxed highly enough. I see a future of an older generation that is taking care of other elders. We don't take summer-long vacations like the French. Then there is still a question of US innovation in addition to the work ethic. There is also immigration which can be adjusted if workers are needed, and even student visas are a factor in propping up the colleges, as international students come for a superior US college degree.

It's my bet we will still see a stock market run up to the election. By second quarter of 2013 it's anybody's guess. Anyone buying US LT treasury bonds? I read in one place (probably in Forbes also) that a person retiring today on an income of $100,000 per year needs to have saved 2 million of debt-free assets to have a decent lifestyle. I wish I even knew what that meant before I panic.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9236484

2 mill must be after taxes and no current debt - i will be working for a while i think

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9236491

Well, here's a bit of dark humor for everyone...

I just got my Federal tax return "Returned"! I was trying to get a jump on doing my taxes this year, but the IRS sent my tax return back!! I guess it was because of my response to the line which said: "List All Dependents". I replied: 12 million illegal immigrants, 3 million crackheads, 42 million deadbeats on food stamps, 2 million people in over 243 prisons, and 535 fools in Congress.

Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer. So I sent it back with a question …"Did I forget someone?"

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9236513

Hahaha. No, I don't think you forgot anyone.

What is a decent lifestyle for some is probably not anywhere near what I would consider decent. We try not to spend beyond our means and think we have done pretty well. Framing jobs come in when a little extra is needed. In looking toward what happens after he stops teaching we figured that we will actually have more coming in from SS than when he teaches. That is due to his years at a power plant. Christian school teachers don't make much.
On Monday I am planning on taking a few things to be appraised for free at Rago Auctions. I am anxious to hear the appraisal for 2 K. Hepburn self-portraits and the signed notes to my folks.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9236537

LOL Darius. A sad but true kind of LOL admittedly.

2 mill? Failed.

What IS a decent lifesdtyle? Good question. How many of us had parents that ever went to Europe on vacation, or cruised, or just went to a resort in Mexico? Not mine, but how many in our generation consider those normal now? My house, vehicles, and yard are all bigger and more sophisticated than what they had. Financial advisors want to scare people into using their service, so they'll inflate the decent lifestyle figure.
Granted, spending 5K on a vacation yearly is really not much compared to what it takes to run this household with three kids in Batl/WashDC area. Hmm.
I'm more appreciative now of all the scrimping we've done.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9236568

Same here, Sally, same here.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9236749

Yep - all relative and what you really can live with.

Enough for beer and wine!!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9236764

I'll start a new thread.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9236767

New.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1274893/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Northeast Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Glad you're better Dave Anitabryk2 209 May 19, 2007 12:03 AM
Cortaderia selloana (Pampas grass) as annual zone5girl 4 Jun 16, 2007 3:41 AM
Mammoth Elephant Ear Janecline 18 May 16, 2007 2:52 PM
Hi. I would like to join your Forum - if it is OK. AYankeeCat 42 Dec 9, 2007 5:56 PM
Rosemary hardiness in CT? jjpm74 26 May 19, 2007 10:16 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America