Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Upper Midwest Gardening: what's going on in your garden?

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 185, Views: 1,022
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9082642

A few tomatoes , and green vegies going,other's only sprouting.how about you.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7
Click an image for an enlarged view.

GenevieveMarie
Grand Haven, MI

April 17, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9086932

I have brocolli growing from last fall, I had the first harvest in March, and have had three more crops of side shoots. I have lettuce that volunteered in February that has survived snow and a few frosts, but is starting to look good, radishes, peas just sprouting, and sweet pea flower shoots, and self sown chamomile. Nothing but dandelions in bloom, I haven't planted bulbs or early bloomers yet.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9117858

I have some Brussel sprouts gone to seed from last year ,that is not all that far away from that. presently lettuce as leaf ,green onions, several tomato plants, a couple of watermelon and muskmelon plants.Lots of returning jerusalem artichokes and spearmint.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9119184

Genevieve, I have tried broccoli several times and never got it to where it looked like broccoli. Maybe the trick is to plant in fall and let it grow a season and a half, then??
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 11, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9119577

Genevieve - do you protect any of your edibles over the winter? DD moved to Holland, MI last year, leaving her TN vegetable garden behind so she's new to "northern" growing.
Here, the weeds are growing as fast as the desirables. My first planting of peas ever is about 6 inches high and trying to get them trained on a trellis. Cucurbitas got planted last weekend from seeds I started indoors. I do have to keep an eye on the nighttime temps but cover them with plastic pots if the temps get below 40. After watching the weather for the next week, I may get brave and plant out my tomatoes this week.
Roses are blooming here along with perennial bachelor buttons, Weigela and my big Deutzia 'Magician'. Funny thing - because all of the bulbs were up early, the foliage has been left on longer (I usually cut it down at the end of May when planting annuals) so a couple of surprise Alliums have shown up. Don't even remember planting them among the daffodils and it's been years. Will have to remember that for future reference.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9119754

With the weather having been like it is I usually seem to be watching plants recovering from a tyrannical spring.(mostly my natives?) Have lost a small tomato plant and watching another recovering however it will probably only be another three weeks before I start seeing blooms on one of the yellow tomato plants.
One of the watermelon vines is a foot or so and growing well enough to look for something to vine on. Seems some the plants in the garden are growing really well while others just cannot tolerate the extremes of warm days and cold nights.
Those 40 to 50 degree differences between day and night really get to some of plants(sometimes me too!)
Cindy: My B. Buttons grow as biennials most of the time,and it seems waiting to set out the tomato plants gets to be one of the most anticipated to do's with the garden.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 11, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9119765

Re: tomato planting anticipation - I've been saving egg shells all winter, specifically for the tomatoes but the rest will go into the worm bin or compost pile. Good thing I started saving them early as I'm trying out a vegetarian/vegan diet.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9132469

Here's the only early tomato plant I got correct along with a watermelon plant. Watermelon plant's kinda spindly and the tomato plant's looking like next week for green tomatoes. The tomato plant's a little over three feet tall;Ester Hess

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 24, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9136567

Got my tomato plants in the ground yesterday. Wanted to get them settled in before we see the 90's. Also got some seed-started sun-lovers planted - cosmos, cleome, ornamental peppers, zinnias, nicotiana (although not too close to the tomatoes). Have multi-colored carrots, rainbow Swiss chard, kale growing in some pots as well. This years is more about playing with vegetables than ornamentals with more sun in my little side garden after removing two trees last year.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9136750

CindyMyzone5; I have some zinnias, the butterflies and bees really enjoy them.Usually a few them are blooming by this time only I didn't get them in or the weather got the early ones
I'm hoping to get the cosmos in , still have a week or so for September blooms.Lots of other annuals are just sprouting to a few inches tall, Bachelor Buttons African daisies ,marigolds,I'm sure some of those will do well in the hot dry summer that seems to be coming.
Watering everything is sometimes a chore though, I don't like to have to water, guess that is why I always enjoyed perennials.
Sunflowers seem have fallen victim to something , I'll be guessing and watching till I find out what.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 24, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9137080

I have very limited sunny space and I'm trying sun-loving annuals for the first time in 20+ years. Next year it might be something else.
Yeah - I'm worried about a hot, dry summer too. We had a hot one last year but managed to get rain about once a week. Dryness will keep the mosquito population down so that's a plus. We live next to a wooded wetlands/creek.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9139384

We live maybe three blocks from the white river, it is somewhat humid all the time .Sounds similar to you.

Evidently it's going to be a good year for caterpillars from what everyone is saying, last night some of them chewed on my watermelon.Big ole chunk out of one leaf today but I re- powdered and we will see.

Everything looks amazingly better after it rained real good for about half an hour about 6 pm yesterday. That was a long awaited happening for this time of year.

more melons to plant next week, along with some smaller staple vegies, and more herbs of various sorts.I doubt about everything getting planted only most will
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 26, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9139633

My pitifully few veggies are camouflaged by perennials so maybe I won't get some of the veggie garden bugs. Growing 'Black Krim' tomatoes, zucchini (green and yellow) and cucumbers with kale, Swiss chard and carrots in pots. Doesn't put a big dent in our veggie consumption but at least it's convenient.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9144975

more plants growing and blooming tomato, watermelon ,and cukes.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9144979

Not a lot going on here:a few blooms.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 30, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9145187

juhur7 - are you going to grow your cukes in pots? Curious. I had read somewhere that cukes have to be transplanted rather quickly once they sprout because they don't like root disturbance. I sowed my seeds in paper pots to minimize any disturbance.
Astilbe 'Peach Blossom' is blooming strong here as well as some of my white Astilbe. Forget if it's 'Bridal Veil' or 'Deutschland' - one blooms before the other. The roses have been spectacular this year - guessing it's the extra sunny days helping. I'm amazed at the blooms in the bed where we took out two oaks last year. Totally surprised what some additional sun will do since I'm accustomed to gardening in the shade. My tomato plants have settled in nicely and are growing well. I'm a little concerned about my sugar snap peas because they haven't bloomed yet. They're about 3 ft tall on trellises but no sign of flowers yet. Maybe it's been too hot? First year growing them so I'm definitely a veggie newbie. Almost done planting the annuals. One more day should do it. I am hoping for some rain tomorrow as I've been watering because everything's dry and the super intense sun doesn't help there.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9145305

Yes, I thought I would try growing the cukes in pots this year.There are a lot reasons,only it is mostly to see if they will be any easier to care for and my soil seems to be full of fungus off and on. I'm using new soil with compost and they look to be off to a great start.It has not even been a week since they were planted.
I've heard the season for peas comes and goes quickly,only I have little to no experience with them.I would imagine the cooler temperatures this week may help your bloom set with that.
That morning glory in first pic ,second set of pics is about the extent of my annual succes this season.Everything seems to be a target for anything and everything as soon as it is set out in the garden.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 31, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9146047

That is a cute morning glory. I've been growing a couple in pots for the past few years so that I can move them into an empty space in the bed once all of the intense spring flowering is done. Because I cram so much stuff (mainly perennials and herbs) into my one sunny bed, there's not enough "dirt" to dedicate to the morning glories. The pots usually get tucked in around roses that have been cut back a bit after the big first flush.
As for targets this year, no bugs yet here but I've got powdery mildew on an apothecary rose already. We haven't had that much rain (it's pretty dry) so I'm not quite sure what got it started. Only thing different (other than the weather) was that I had used some oak stump grindings from the tree removal last year, mixed with some "natural" fertilizer as a very light mulch. I've gotten away from using wood mulch but had so much from the trees that I had to come up with handy places to put it. Multiple wheelbarrows of the stuff. And I added the fertilizer since it was raw wood and didn't want decomposition to deplete soil nutrients.
Waiting for some rain here (hoping).

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9146590

Think ya got your rain there Cindy, and the cooler temps should help with that powdery mildew besides the blooms on the vegies.At least one would would think so anyway.Rain started about five after five and it is still coming down steady and strong.I like that!!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 1, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9147477

Yep - got our rain. No steady downpour but lots of light showers. No dramatic thunder and lightning like the folks up north. Still raining off and on today and that's fine by me.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9150766

here's some goodies from the garden; tomato plant with little tomatoes, watermelon in bloom, the only one of my first cuke planting still growing.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 4, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9151356

Congrats on the baby tomatoes. Mine just started flowering so it'll be a while before I see any.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9157152

One tomato plant loading up with tomatoes one other blooming remainder all still small.With the weather looking as it is I am not as hopeful for a good crop of cukes as I might be.With it being hot and dry and humidity levels rising powdery mildew and every other wilt is anticipated.
Have a little melon setting on? still to small to tell.Beans are looking like double toothpicks,oh well.
Charentais melons are looking good others are ok but not doing as well as they might.
Lots of flowers blooming here and there ,just started bunches of others,a little late I know.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 8, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9157604

Yippee! My sugar snap peas started blooming. They've been in the ground for 6 weeks and I was thinking that they weren't going to produce at this rate. Tomatoes are blooming. Cukes and zucchini are starting to grow but they're being shaded out a bit by my monstrous (this year only) roses, soon to be trimmed back after they finish their first flush of flowers.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9159527

CindyMzone; I was glad that cool weather helped your pea crop chances,see patience and hope is a good thing there!!!

My cukes like a little shade sometimes other times some do well in blazing hot sun.Those get to be a finicky type of plant,so don't get discouraged if the set where they are ain't perfect,no such a critter as that!!
My tomato plant is loading with tomatoes but sure is taking it's time.Yeah one plant with tomatoes,! well any success is successs!!! Guess I will have to deal with it.AH,and me talking to you about patience.

Maybe some rain and slightly cooler temps will help with that also,the tomatoes that is.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 11, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9160464

Tomatoes here are growing well but not loaded with blooms like I'd expect. I think the heat has restricted some blooms. Hopefully a couple of days of cooler weather this week will get them blooming again. My straight neck squash/yellow zucchini is being shaded out by a rose at the moment. The roses have been growing and blooming like mad and I'm waiting (still) to cut them back a bit to give the zucchini more sun. I have one lonely 'Black Krim' tomato plant left from my early spring seed-starting with no home in the garden. Racking my brain here for a container big enough to plant it in without spending more money on pots. It's very difficult for me to throw away seedlings after caring for them for a couple of months.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9162352

The tomato plants here are blooming only the later ones are small plants.The time for optimal growth passes by the time I usually get to setting the remainder of plants .Last early frost almost always happens right as the tomato plant begins it's optimal growth time.Unless the plants are in the ground and growing they are always smaller.
The early plants (two of them) and I only have one that grew right ,one is small from damage of the very last early frost, the other is now as tall as I am and still growing only slowly.After that frost that plant grew 4 feet in about 11 days, as we hear and see that is what tomato plants are suppose to grow like.(Doesn't happen as often as I would like)

All the other plants are still only about 8 to 14 inches, even with a tomato on the 14 inch plant this is not going all well so far.With no rain for thirteen days and none forecast for here this is going to be a long summer for the garden.

CindyMyzone5; Maybe a bucket you could use around somewhere ? The tomato plants supposedly grow that way.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 13, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9163597

I have been watering since this is the best growth/bloom time for a lot of my gardens. I have emptied one rain barrel and probably half of two more. But the majority of the watering is with my city water since the rain barrels don't begin to cover even a quarter of what I need, especially when there's no rain.
I have thought about a bucket for my lonely tomato plant but I'd end up drilling holes in it for drainage. I gave my other tomato "buckets" to DD to grow tomatoes on her rental deck. I do have a big styrofoam pot I used for a small water feature and I may use that but will have to figure out where to put it.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9163833

I been trying to tell what flower is growing in a stand of goldenrod ,it's either a basketflower or a knapweed. I will be able to tell in a few days hopefully.
I have a couple of tray pots that are still empty that i am thinking about planting remaining herb seeds in as that is about all that will have time to grow. pots and things get confusing sometimes about what goes where, which plant to put in this pot or that.The one thing that seems constant is we can't stand seeing an empty pot and never have enough of them anyway.
I have been planting perennial flower seed for next year agastache, delphinium and such.
The tomato plants here look O.K. but show all kinds of stress,humidity and a hot sun is not always as good as we are told.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9163852

here's more of those cukes in pots tomato plant at end pic, ain't so good a pic.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9163864

here' one with a bloom 2&5

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 17, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9168775

You're right about hot sun not always being so great. Even my tomatoes were wilting a bit by mid-afternoon. I did hear something a couple of weeks ago - better for tomatoes to get morning sun than hot afternoon sun. Not that many of us have that option.
Finally - rain! Got some last night so I think everything is breathing a sigh of relief. It's still partly cloudy this morning and I hope it stays that way for today to give everything a break from the hot sun. Zucchinis are starting to bloom and of course are all male flowers to start. And have a couple of itty bitty tomatoes starting to form on 'Black Krim'. Kale and Swiss chard have reached harvestable size but I'm only cutting off a few leaves here and there to use since I have a limited number of plants. Have started harvesting my snow peas which is fun. Should have enough for a stir fry in the next couple of days.
Have seen a Japanese beetle or two so it's time to get ready for the invasion. Doesn't matter that I put milky spore down in my own yard.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9170421

It rained on everyone except here, day 18 without rain and still counting. Makes it difficult to do much with90 degree heat. My Japaneese Beetles usually wait till July to arrive. Be back with more later.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9181658

Day before yesterday I picked and smashed a Japaneese beetle first and only one so far ( no such thing as one, like a potato chip commercial). I have about fifty quater size tomatoes hanging for a month now on that Ester Hess tomato plant. Still green all of them and the plant is approaching six feet tall.
Still needs to rain.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 26, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9182374

I've passed 60 on the Japanese beetle count, all caught by hand and drowned in soapy water. I had left the container of soapy water sitting on the ground last night and the local raccoons spilled the contents and ate all of the dead JBs.
Nice looking tomatoes, juhur! We missed out on the rain on Sunday as well so I'm back to watering. I did add about an inch or two of yard waste compost around the tomatoes as a mulch. Between 2 'Black Krim' plants, I have 7 or 8 tomatoes so far with more coming. Of course they're still green and on the small side. Will have to keep watering them though so they don't split. That sun is brutal! We're supposed to get to 100 on Thursday and I don't want to leave the cool house to go anywhere. DD in Holland, MI told me that she's already harvested her first zucchini. Sigh. Mine are still blooming with no babies yet. Peas are still coming along but I planted too many too close together and too close to the tomato cages. I'll know better for next year.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9184379

My watering this morning is everything is as dry as dust. Feel like i'm in a Prairie nightmare .
My stories about Beetles are terror tales those things are crazy and they get going they never seem to end.My last with them was smashing them till the birds at the feeder got a taste them.Seemed to work some with what I already had.
Harvests from my little garden are a long way off this year. Usually by this time I have tomatoes sitting on the kitchen counter and about everywhere else.
here's cuke plants from this morning; not as good as might be as they vine up the sunflowers.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 28, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9184457

So far, everything's surviving the heat and dryness with the exception of the lawn where I'm continually walking. The sun is killer though. Even though the tomatoes were watered, they still drooped a bit by late afternoon yesterday. Hoping to catch a little rain later from any clouds wandering through Chicago.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2012
3:04 AM

Post #9187118

Well my drought is over thank goodness,,I'm typing this morning instead of being in the garden.(it is raining good and steady). Means I get to weed and cultivate later instead of looking over watering issues.My herbs and flowers had not done well with all the sun and heat so I could be better at that.Did get a few peach leaf Bellflowers to live to plant though.Not the best weather for starting seeds in pots.(try again later always do)
As my melons they have fungus affecting the set and blooms,so I'll keep a spray process going and see what happens there with the ones that have that .Everything looks allright to pretty good considering the conditions(yeah I know me and my excuses) .
I will get a few munchies out all this but not as many as usual,or as many as wanted. Have had some onions lettuce. mint, things like that and the Purple Petra basil is up and growing(late start, I know).
The Charentais melons have been blooming for more than a week or so, only "no set" there either Still seeing some this as unusual.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9187431

I had to rip out my watermelon vines I started early,stem rot on the vines,, grubs got the roots,, and gremlins have got me(SIGH).

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9189965

Well today I have a yellow tomato that is about to be ripe.YEAH!! However I am looking for Japanese Beetle bait for my" bag- a- bug" beetle traps.
Yes the beetles are back" just like the "terminator" doing the search and destroy mission,except there is an army of them now!!
The rain the past few days has the melons growing nicely some of them about eight inches overnight last night.Still getting female blooms that won't bloom on the little melon sets though
I have never had that happen before!, "I am perplexed!?" " What disease is this"? "Nutrition maybe"?
I have never even heard of such a thing!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9191103

From this morning;

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 5, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9193786

Have been out of town for a few days.
Great that your first tomato of the season is almost ready! 'Black Krim' has lots of tomatoes in various stages but I think I'm still a couple of weeks away from the first ripe one. DD in MI is having brilliant results with her tomatoes in her big box on her rented back deck. Plants are 4 ft tall, loaded with tomatoes in various stages. Her squash plants are HUGE and she's already been harvesting zucchini.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9194183

CindyMzone5; How is the JB situation mine aren't any worse,prayers at least so far for that. Sounds like a bottle of booze instead of a garden question(LOL).will do some more pics of cukes in pots when it ain't so scorching hot.
I Tend to keep losing flower starts, that is getting a little frustrating.That heat index already at 110) at 11 am, makes for misery outside, 93 or 94 being about it for me.
I was pollinating daylilly the other morning when I got an early start,hoping to have some more nice ones.
I'm kinda jealous of the zucchini , my melon plants almost look like they would when I start them.
Had been giving some thought to starting some more greens only that is going to be while off in this weather,wow that is getting to be a never ending story kinda thing.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 5, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9194213

I think DD's fantastic success with her "boxed" veggie garden is that the planting box is about two feet deep, filled with Pro-Mix, aged manure and Dr. Earth's organic fertilizer (one of the types with a phosphorus being higher than nitrogen). They haven't had rain for weeks up in her area so all watering is done by hand. This is an amazing reward for her as she had been desperately trying to garden up on a ridge in TN where it's mega hot and dry. With a well that could run dry at times and not having an efficient way to get enough water to her garden, it was often a disappointing challenge. Coupled with the rocky clay soil, it was depressing. Now the leaves on her squash are about the size of dinner plates with no pests yet.
As for the JBs, I collected about 40 of them within an hour of arriving home yesterday. They were using my absence to party pretty seriously.
As for greens, my Swiss Chard and red kale are doing okay but the latter will wilt if it gets too dry so, with this heat, I have to water them about every day since they're growing in big pots. I'm not about to start any fall crops just yet although it is supposed to cool down to the 80s next week.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9195709

Today wasn't a day to do much, I will try a few more pic;s when the weather cools. I have a half a dozen yellow tomatoes on the plant turning yellow, so I guess now I get to start counting how many E. H. tomatoes I am going to have.I''m guessing 3to5 hundred by the time it is done.
CUCUMBERS; well they are growing. I'll find out later.Small cukes are setting on though.
BEANS are anything from six to say10 inches tall, that is the worst I have ever done even when I was ILL.
MELONS; we aren;t even going to go there. I do have an Orangeglo that tomorrow I might get to see if the little melon has set on ,happy as can be with that.!!? ORMI
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 6, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9195747

Definitely too hot to do anything outdoors today except catch a JB or two from time to time. We did get a severe little thunderstorm yesterday so we got rain although it did blow the roof off of an apartment complex a few miles away. Tomatoes are looking good and may be just starting to get a little color. They're still blooming too which is a good thing with all of the heat. Even the snow peas are still blooming and producing which surprised me. I'm training my cukes to grow up trellises due to lack of space and they are blooming. I'll have to check to see if I have any babies forming yet. Also keeping an eye on my Meyer lemon tree. It's got about 20 flowers on it, an explosion since I got it a month ago. Guess it's finally settled in its pot.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9197581

from this morning; more tomatoes and a cuke leaf pic went wrong ,still it is fun to look at food!!

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 8, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9197913

Those yellow tomatoes are still looking good! I have a 'Black Krim' that's now about 5 inches across. Cucumbers are climbing and blooming nicely. Still only male flowers on the squash though. Still picking peas although DGD eats them as fast as we can pick them.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9197938

HI YA! CindyMzone5, I was sitting here typing on gasrocks thread when you posted,it is trying to decide whether or not it wants to rain here at the moment.( it hasn't at all in weeks)
Nice here your "Black Krim" tomato plant is doing well! I could make some more weather comments only that's burned out by this time. That wasn't meant as humor purposely.
That cuke has a little one I was trying to pic.All the cuke plants are blooming nicely for me also.

I'm like that with the fresh picked green beans, I can eat those things faster and more than I can grow.I even pick them and eat them raw!! YUM,,YUM!!!.
. Thank you for complement about the plant!!,that is one tough old heirloom. I have a feeling that one's coming back for next year.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 9, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9198668

"...burned out..." - HA! Maybe you'll get some rain with this weather front settling closer to you this week.
I must admit that my peas are starting to look a little pale and not looking quite as vigorous. Has anyone managed to keep them going all summer or should I just let them decline away?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9198707

Rain went past,clouded up, thunder, lightning, then poof,gone, not a drop of measurable rain.
Artwestallis
Milwaukee, WI

July 9, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9198912

I am so dry here its not funny and I heard there going to start a water ristriction soon if we dont get rain I hope I wont loose anymore than already burnt up

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9198975

I WAS DOING THESE CUKES AS RESTARTS; I lost some to frost and some to lack of water early ,these potted are my control effort. Restrictions are every around me and some of those places even had rain, it's bad where it is happening this year.
Last year early ,everything drowned, water was1/2 inch from entering the house.My plants drowned. others rotted out.My established flowers are all survivors of that. Feast and famine!

photo #4 is one the potted vine blooms way up in the Sun chokes,next bloom,cucumbers!

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 9, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9199485

Don't blame you for trying to control moisture/cold by putting veggies in pots. I bet you're watering the pots every day though? Sorry you missed out on the rain. Little storms moving down from WI along Lake MI and it looks like Green Bay is getting a few showers as well.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9200021

The most recent three or four days,watered them twice in a day, one those days I even had two water one of them three times. Before that though it had been once a day to water them ,by the little finger in the side of the pot test.
Definitely gets monotonous watering repeatedly!!
This coming Thursday thru Monday those chances of rain I hope are a welcome shower,usually it happens as storms that destroy though after it goes for such a long time without raining.
I guess it is worth it though if it pays off with some good cucumbers, even if they are not my favorite green.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 10, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9200093

We have gotten a few unexpected pop-up storms over the last few weeks. They appear even when no rain is forecasted and are usually short but very gusty. Not sure if it's the lake effect or something else.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9200113

Here's a better look at that tomato plant, cuke thinking about growing. Lack of rain and high temp effects are obivious with either.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 10, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9200126

That's a pretty sturdy tomato cage. I usually underestimate the weight of a plant with tomatoes so my cages have a hard time controlling the plants. Yippee on the cucumber. Hoping to see some soon on my plants.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9200146

I really shoudn't about picking through the garbage but that where those four by four posts were going so I drilled them used some screws and put them together for that a cage.. An extreme without a doubt! There are some lego curtain rods I have been using for that that aren't bad.There is also a couple of green wire cages back there in the garden that aren't bad, those are a little flimsy, though you can grow any of the vines on them as well.
A couple of red tomato plants with that wire behind them, usual stuff or, junk ,you know.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9200150

I forgot those wooden sawhorse cages are just under five feet tall,the plant is almost right at six feet tall ,maybe an inch or two over that.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 10, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9200276

I do like to repurpose stuff as well although not too handy with the tools. My last tomato seedling had gone in a pot (didn't have space in the ground for it) and I didn't want to buy another cage for it so I used those green garden stakes wired together for it. Hadn't thought about using curtain rods but don't have any of those laying around.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9201357

Those curtain rods I use look like stakes,I think they make portable tables and things from them.I heard them referred to as toggle or lego rods in reference to the tables ,curtain hangers, or shades and the like.
There a threaded round with a hole for connecting them that has a water faucet tightner.I will pic them them sometime and show you.There similar to all the pvc connectors that they make for trellising and such except they are threaded.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 11, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9201469

I'm not familiar with the lego rods. Sounds like I'm missing out on something versatile.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9204799

Picked about 20 little yellow tomatoes yesterday, I've got two little melons an Orangeglo and a Moon & stars. The Cantelope vines have started to grow some more I was beginning to wonder if that was going to happen.The cukes deformed ,oh well..
I have things to try and have done about everything I know to do so far,what a season this has been.
I'm learning how to trim tomato plants for super production ,I use to know how, so I will again.7 times the blooms,as to usual,has to with getting the bloom stem leaves to appear after the bloom stems.LIKE you have those three sets of leaves that appear before the blooms on a branch,if you get those to appear after the first set of blooms ,each one that appears will have and make a set of blooms.Yeah ,I know you have seen that ad also,that is how though.That most likely is all the e-book says, (haven't read that) and that is an old technique, little practice, is all.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 14, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9204823

Wow - didn't know you could increase production like that. I'm still a veggie gardening newbie. Is there an on-line tutorial somewhere?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9204838

I honest'ly don't know, I will keep looking, I was reminded when I saw that 19.95 e-book being advertised.What I said before is about all that most likely says,And as for me I'm not paying for what I know and as I rarely get what I pay for as to things like that, it is "ain't happening"
Maybe we should post that on the tomatoes forum,I for one am not to good at explaining things other showing myself how or another when there standing near.
You know the leaf of of the tomato plant appears side then another the other side,then another,and the blooms appear.
Well somehow by trimming those, they will re-appear after the blooms,making more blooms each time,and so on so forth. I'm going to try a while with a couple of my plants During the 1970's I had bred one of those Marglobes to do that on it's own, of it's grow pattern. It took 8 or 10 years to breed that and the seeds and a couple of others were lost later of circumstances. That is one those "drat" things Feel free to ask on the tomato forum, or I can,.. while I work on that once again.I will remember or re-learn how eventually!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9204915

I wanted to come back for a minute to say the confusing part, and me , is tomato plants do not grow that way anymore. when I restarted growing I was wondering why all the talk about trimming and suckering the tomato plants,The plants
really aren't the same anymore(e--gad)!!!

Only I have seen and had them as they were so I will figure it out.Darn confusing!! this is!! Pardon I need a minute...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9206018

And for now last night it rained and it rained and rained and rained tra -la la- la la -la -la
for two hours it rained and it rained ta la la-- la Silly isn't I
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 15, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9206281

Happy you got some rain! We've seen dark clouds and heard thunder all around us but nada.
This summer, gardening for the past month has been nothing but watering, sweating, catching JBs and cleaning up raccoon destruction. I miss spring.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9211286

It is raining the way it needs to for the plants and all at the moment,Harvested a few yellow tomatoes every day this week and picked my first red tomato yesterday.
I will be back with some pics eventually,too hot mostly for that, or other things to get done.
I got a few melons growing nicely and the plants all look much better a few brief showers of rain.Real nice morning all in all!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 19, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9211379

We finally got rain last night. I was so bummed due to heat, lack of rain, JBs and sweating. Several thunderstorms originally headed right for us broke up and went around so I didn't think we'd get any rain. But amazingly, it started about 10 last night and got a little windy, knocking over some potted plants but everything survived. Tied up indoors today but I don't want to be tromping around outdoors while things are still wet. Still collecting JBs daily, anywhere from 10 to 20 per day. Thought they'd only last a month so hoping they'll gradually disappear this week. My first 'Black Krim' tomato is starting to color up. It's the biggest one so far and can't wait to eat it but I'm guessing it'll be another week or more until it's fully ripe.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9212276

It rained twice yesterday and this morning again,misting,foggy and cool this morning,plants all look refreshed. Some things and those toggle devices.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9212281

And more from this morning

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9212285

and a couple of more

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 20, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9212614

How are your yellow tomatoes holding up? What are the toggle devices for?
I'm still hoping to get some cucumbers going. There's plenty of flowers - both male and female - but unfortunately, no cucumbers yet. I have plenty of bees and pollinators and don't use pesticides in the garden so maybe it's the hot weather killing off the pollen?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9212690

With the the rain the tomatoes are doing all right.

You see the stake the toggle is laying on,it is for connecting two of those together.You see the hole in the bottom toggle for putting the stake through, the top toggle shows the cap for tightening the toggle.Putting the stakes halfway through the toggle then tighten them,you can make those as tall or however you might want them .

My cukes aren't setting either,could be the hot weather,to warm in the morning when they pollinate? They are well past the fifth bloom so they should be setting fruit.The rain and a couple of cooler nights should help,cucumbers tend to get finicky sometimes no matter what you do.
Next year the no pollination necessary type cucumbers are on my list,hot weather the reason for that.The weather forecasters are saying this might continue for a few years (decade trend) Planning that way.

How's the JB'S still at ya, are they?
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 20, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9212704

Yep - still have the JBs. Collected approximately 60 the past two days. I gave up counting but I know I'm over 300. Set personal record today though - got 6 of them in one swat and 5 in another.
Now I understand about the toggles. Pretty neat idea. A couple of my tomato cages were leaning from the wind the other night and I'm wondering if the 4-legged square cages are better than the standard round 3-legged ones.
Lots of flowers on cukes and even have male and female flowers next to each other. I read that the plants don't like to be stressed and temps in the mid-90s can generate more male flowers. Also read that cukes are heavy feeders and to keep them watered to avoid bitter fruits. My squash plants are shaded somewhat and so far I'm still only getting male flowers. So much to learn about growing veggies for me.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9220521

Only watering enough to keep a few plants alive,melons are setting and won't pollinate,If it doesn't rain soon my garden is toast!!!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 27, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9220809

Yea! I finally have cucumbers growing. Still only male flowers on the zucchini though. I did water from the rain barrels today since they filled back up after the storm earlier this week. At least it will be cooler (relatively) for the next couple of days. One of my poor 'Black Krim' tomato plants - the stem buckled under the weight of the tomatoes so I harvested my first big one (tasted very mealy - not what I was hoping for) and a couple of green ones as well and then tried to string up the plant to the cage to help support it. Don't know how it will do or if it's toast for the season. At least the top of the plant is still healthy and not wilting so I guess that's a good sign.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9221369

It is rather nice to have some rain, It rained for four or five hours shortly after I typed that yesterday.Good to hear the cukes are coming along, mine have a couple set . The ones I let grow in pots are not doing as well as they might ,but I will get a few cukes. Next I am going to have to finish the lean to screen for them to grow on.(this fall for next season)

I like the raised bed though with the six foot tomato plant, I seemed to have mulched that well enough to keep the plant healthy and it has withstood the lack of rain and water with vigor.It is plainly nicer when one does not have to water.(If I had little more go to me I would try a few more, and things similar)

My larger tomatoes taste like tomatoes,only they have no sweetness to them at all because of all the heat.

I'm sure your "Black Krim" plant will make a comeback,at least you grew it past disease or beetles,A few weeks it will probably be all green with leaves and branching everywhere.As for tomatoes, they almost never or rarely are what you hope for,I'm still always looking for what tastes good and grows well for me.That can be more difficult than it sounds. I think I have found a couple this year only nothing overly impressive as far as taste.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 28, 2012

Post #9221750

I think the cucumber is ready to pick but will wait another day or so when I'll actually be using it. Was cleaning up the tomato plants, removing the lower branches, I accidentally picked a tomato, set it on the ground and then accidentally stepped on it. Today was cleanup day in the yard from the storm we had earlier in the week. Am hoping for more rain as I emptied all of the rain barrels today watering. Thankfully, it's actually pretty nice out today with temps tonight in the 60's.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9223910

Well here's some more of this year's amazing fails. Not as bad as could be. Blanket flower,Coreopsis, Hibiscus. Echie, zinnias in front of BES. These were taken today.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9223915

MORE OF SAME TAKEN TODAY. 2ND PIC,Red milkweed , watermelon last pic, Jerusalem artichoke in the last pic there is a melon bottom center.I missed(lol)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9223919

more of today; cuke. marigold, Jerusalem artichoke, catnip

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 30, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9223996

You've got a lot of flowers in bloom. Love the Hibiscus. Have tried to grow milkweed for butterflies but never succeeded because I put it in part of the garden that doesn't get a lot of attention. Not much blooming here (perennials) as I have mostly shade lovers and they sure aren't getting much of that. I do have a rose or two that are bravely putting out a few buds and some zinnias I started from seed. Struggling to keep the impatiens in the shade watered enough. Still no male flowers on zucchini or squash though. I think the JBs are finally starting to wind down for the season. Instead of 20 to 30 per day, I'm only collecting 10 or 12.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9224039

I can't really say I grew the milkweed either I've got green, red, and orange weed.That red swamp is suppose to like lots of water and it grew where it is after three years(AND TWO PACKS OF SEED) IN one of the driest places I have.
I'm usually throwing the pods as they open, covering them with grass or straw or a little earth and watering it down some.Every so often a new plant(one) will grow from three or four whole pods.
Haven't got that far with the red ,this is the first year it has flowered well and I have yet to see if it makes pods or what it does.(all of them have to to be fall and winter sown, that's two full seasons to bloom and more pods).
I have six new fireball hibiscus seedlings I put in next to the Big Red hibiscus in the pic,nice bloom but the plant is not that impressive,it has struggled since it was planted there some five?years ago.(usually only three canes at most if that) After I planted those and am sprouting a half a dozen for my sister's garden? I have two seeds left,and a pack of similar I haven't tried yet.
I was thinking some of those flowers like the BES and BF might look good together near each other, and ,or in front of or beside the Hibiscus.
It is good to hear your JB's are about out, those things drove me about half crazy for years,You know why!!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 31, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9224868

After catching the darned JBs for 6 weeks, it's become so automatic to grab the coffee can with soapy water and go hunting. I won't know what to do with myself once the JBs are really done.
I like your idea about making some color combos with your mid-summer bloomers. I bet it would be very striking with all of the reds, oranges and yellows. I don't have much in that color range except for a lily that's already done for the year. The only Coreopsis I grow - 'Moonbeam' - would be too pale for all of those hot colors.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9224985

The yellow, white, show the most in this enviroment, That's why I'm trying for more of them.The reds are showy only they need something with them.
I like the pale colors with white also, seems to make thing show.Not many long blooming whites either.That's why the other thread.

You were talking about the Krim tomato plant being about toast,Here's one of mine that's the same.Roasted!!!
OOPS first pic's a goof,wrong D. THE SECOND AND THIRD ARE WHAT'S REMAINING OF PLANT TRIAL#3

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 2, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9227098

Yep - that plant looks like toast although the tomatoes are still hanging on. Might be worth it to give that plant some TLC until you can harvest the tomatoes. Me being inexperienced here - that damage is caused by the heat and not one of the dreaded tomato blights? I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9227588

IT looks blight like ,only the plant next to that one is doing fine, more likely heat and soil prep,(lack of) If I don't get my sets correct, nothing that follows is either.
Small animal ate my Orangeglo Watermelon.

ON THE BETTER SIDE OF THINGS; Broad Ripple Tomato

Thumbnail by juhur7
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 2, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9227604

Beautiful tomatoes! I just pulled two tomato horn worms off of mine. Where do these things come from?! They only got some leaves that I know of.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9227664

Do you remember the Lunesta T.V.commercial, One kind of tomato worm is a Luna moth ,There are three kinds of tomato type Horn worms.
(bad joke) Doesn't it do wonders for you hearing that.
I imagine by this time you are beginning to feel like an Entomologist .Only that is not as far from the truth sometimes as it might be ,is it?Drought, bugs, tornadoes,burning sun,(a couple of earthquakes and a volcano arising in the backyard would just about make this a full summer.(Wouldn"t IT?) Oh well, there is always "next time"?
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 3, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9228391

Entomologist? Yes! I'm knowing the habits and schedules of JBs very well!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9228540

Just think a doctorate that began with the garden!!

I was walking around tasting Basil and spearmint,thinking about sun choke drying time.Lots of flowers to move around but that is obviously going to have wait a while.Looking at the cukes in the pots, and I don't think that will return next season.And a while to go with that yet though. I have about five little Moon&Stars melons growing and a couple of orangeglo look to have set.(that's after the one that got ate a few days ago)(small animal)
Looking at the calypso cucumber in a few days I get to pick, and another has set so it appears I will get a few cukes after all. Since a good season a few seasons ago I have had a terrible time getting cukes to grow for me.
If it wasn't for a couple of tomato plants this year would of been a nightmare, as far as the garden. Even the beans aren't doing well.Oh yes, and the grape vine I grow greens under means grape juice during the next few days . Always some enjoying to do with the goodies no matter what may come.!!!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 4, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9229220

DD mentioned that cukes and squashes don't like to be overly hot. Perhaps they're better in the ground to keep their roots cooler? Harvested my first 'Marketmore 76' cuke the other day and have more coming so I'm happy. Still only male flowers on the squashes. I might not get any at all at this rate. How cool to be able to get grape juice!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9233232

Well here i am again contemplating with this years top story from the garden.While it seemed all those melons and cukes were not going to do so well I decided to have a little fun with cross pollination.
Well I got an orange fleshed cucumber melon that all these cucumber lovers around here just ate as fast it was peeled.It looked like a big striped cucumber about a pound(guessing) with orange flesh and a juicy cucumber taste.
Every body here loved it, me, I like my cukes with white flesh. Only I'm out voted and I will live with it.
So I have saved three seeds that look like they will grow and we will try again,although no better than the odds and me growing cukes,three seeds does not look promising as far as success as to a return crop of these whatever they may be. Thinking chlorosis and lack of potassium is my big difficulty.
And the grape juice was great!! Well that was fun!!?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9234477

I forgot to say a few years my cucumbers vines started in the shade they did better,so that is most likely true that the cooler ground temps in the summer are more to there liking.

Some of the Cantelopes have began to set ,so maybe your squash will shortly.? My plants are looking a little on the depleted side of things though and that concerns me.Wondering if they will have enough strength to make the melons.
I came in from the garden a few minutes ago,WOW is it hot!! and yes, back watering again, Booooo!!!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 8, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9234505

I think the cooler weather is heading your way. It was 95-ish here yesterday but 10 degrees cooler today. And it's getting ready to rain. Yippee! My rain barrels are empty again. About half of them went to keeping veggies and potted plants watered and the other half got used up this morning. Made worm compost tea (I let it bubble for 12 hours) and diluted it with rain water to give lots of plants a gentle feeding. Now if it rains all afternoon and into the evening, I'll be happy (as long as it's not a violent rain). Hoping the feeding will also give my squash a little nudge. Still getting cucumbers and tomatoes so that's great. And the kale and Swiss chard are still growing although the kale is slowing down. Probably a good time to start some seeds for fall harvest. My lemon grass is doing great this summer. It didn't do so well last year so I divided it and repotted it this past spring. Now I've got to dig out some recipes to use some of it.
What fun with the orange-fleshed cucumber. Wish I had a little more room for veggies to try fun experiments.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9241591

Here's a hand full of Ester Hess tomatoes, STILL LOOKS LIKE GOOD FOOD TO ME!!

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 14, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9241648

Beautiful! I had gotten a freebie pack of 'Riesentraube' grape-type tomatoes but they're bigger. Beautiful, perfect little spheres despite my lack of tomato-growing expertise. Had them grilled with veggies last night on top of polenta. Wonderful.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9244765

CindyMzone5 I believe have heard about those in heirloom discussion,one on the way to becoming .

pic1, a small moon&stars
pic2 Ester Hess bottom of plant
pic3 Ester Hess top of plant
pic4 2or3 pds. of Orangeglo
pic5 purple basil

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 17, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9245027

I like the look of the Moon and Stars. Ester Hess looks to be a pretty healthy plant, amazing after our summer. Do you do any cooking with the purple basil? I bet it would make a pretty dramatic pesto. I think I read that there's also a yellow Riesentraube. And they taste pretty good too.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9245078

The moon&stars is from my own saved seed, there are four of them growing,the one in the pic is the second largest a little larger than a softball,that is where they either keep growing or fail.
The tomato seed I got from wintersown,if it makes a few more more I will try and give some seed in return.Remembering a couple of plants I pic'd earlier that died shows how and when they are set is everything.
I am not much of a cook the basil goes lightly into chopped raw salads,has kind of a minty taste,you just have to be careful not to over do it.
I will be giving some thought and place it in my notes about trying the yellow or maybe even the red Riesentraube, you have got me interested.
Here's a few yarrow seedlings,if you can see through the blur there is a chive plant growing between that little stone the yarrow and the side of the pot. that chive was planted back in May or so ,My seed efforts have been doing that all year.lol

Thumbnail by juhur7

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 18, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9245497

Even a lot of established perennials here have just sat for most of the summer, seemingly just struggling to survive. The last couple weeks of cooler weather is at least having a positive effect on the annuals. More rain, cooler temps and dousing with worm compost tea seem to have them bouncing back. Your poor seedlings must have really struggled to hang on, especially in a pot.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9253544

Well i have some onions and fall peas planted and I will get to the lettuce in the next few days or so, Did get a couple of melons a little larger than softballs, they were good only a bit of joke,definitely have to give up on pot ideas as far as myself growing anything that way,Well maybe a few small tomatoes being the exception as to that.
I've flopped with the watermelon and have three or four cantelopes growing okay as far I can see them.Still a cuke from one vine every few weeks. This garden season has turned out to be a real pooper for me,but there is always next year and maybe things to try yet.
I chewed up one of the little onions today and was thing thing hot,They tend to reflect the weather.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 26, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9254377

Congrats on getting the fall crops started. I'm still lax in that department but hoping to start some kale and chard seeds this afternoon. It's been too hot and dry this summer for much real gardening here. I've just been keeping things tidy mostly although I did start some shrub cuttings last week.
I'm getting maybe two cucumbers a week but I only have two plants. The squash and zucchini were flops for me since I'm still getting only male flowers. I did notice that the last lonely tomato plant that got popped into a pot rather than tossing it does have smaller tomatoes and they're taking a little longer to ripen, probably due to the plant not getting enough moisture or nutrients in a pot. Still getting a steady small stream of cherry tomatoes - not as much as I would have hoped - but it's growing in a little more shade.
I guess I won't count this year's growing season as a flop as I'm learning as I go along on the veggies.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9254401

The only pot tomato I had ever had any success with was Patio Hybrid, I think your correct about the moisture ratio of pot, soil, and size, The patio hybrid had a big thick large main stem that compensates for that.A great many plants developed for pot growing do, you have most likely noticed that though in your searches for plants to grow.
I haven't tried vegies in pots in a while till this year ,It is not always easy,although ,it is some fun when it goes well. I have grown those "patio" tomatoes before in pots and they did really well,You still have to set them so they do not cook in the sun ,half a day was plenty as i recall
Also adding here that it is not much fun when it fails, most of my cukes this year as example.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 26, 2012

Post #9254642

I'm thinking cukes need adequate moisture to fill out. And perhaps their pollen is affected by the heat like tomatoes? Seems that the leafy stuff like kale and chard do ok in pots as long as the pots are big enough. Have never tried patio tomatoes here. My veggies only get sun from noon on so no early day sun for them, only the hot stuff.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9259917

Well, with my season I should be harvesting all from plants and beginning to prepare for the end of my season, although the garden season never truly ends.
Seems I have been watching next years blooms as little seedlings taking 8,10 or even 12 weeks to sprout.As far as flowers go unless it floods them all out or turns to a desert I couldn't of had or seen a worse year by the number of seeds to bloom or plants gone in the drought.I lost my Cardinal flower although I am ever hopeful it will return next year.
My vegetables about the same as my flowers as seeds to food not much went well. I will still get a few melons lots of tomatoes(that I am ever grateful for) and some various greens and herbs.
Mostly though I found out from this why I am not much of a gardener anymore, although lessons learned are lessons learned,especially when it comes to the garden.
So I am thinking rather than let this die away, I will be back possibly with some set of this and that as I set up for next years garden ,with my hopes and impatience both hopefully being kept in control (That part about about the lessons)lol
Thank you all for allowing me this rather we chatted or not ,and especially to those who had.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9263369

I grew tomatoes (of all kinds from tiny to large), plus several types of peppers and eggplant...in addition to flowers, herbs,etc. for several years on a huge apt. balcony. They were so prolific, I'd give some to neighbors.

The pots were only 2-3 gallon, I used high-quality potting mix with a little play sand mixed in for drainage. I also put one layer of small rocks on the bottom for weight to offset the heavy plants. I watered daily and used "Miracle-Gro for Tomatoes" about once-a-week.

My best results were with "determinate" varieties that topped out at no more than 4-5 ft. and no matter what they say about determinates, they definitely needed staking as they got extremely bushy. The amazing thing is that this balcony had a covered roof so the plants didn't get nearly the sun they should have, yet they thrived. It looked like a jungle out there and everything was very tasty!

This was in the days before I had a digital camera. I'll try to take some time to locate one of the pics, but I'd have to scan it into the computor so I can't guarantee anything.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9263533

I'll have to be jealous and satisfied with that, I can't grow vegetables in a pot these days to save myself!!lol MIRACLE -GRO SUIPER-GROW The best of E.T, A miracle is what it would take !!! Seedlings?
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9263637

I think I'm finally going to try some Winter Sowing this upcoming Winter. I've had my gallon water/milk jugs saved for a couple of years and just never got around to it.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 9, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9269748

I haven't done a lot of WSing. I did do some poppies last year, got a couple to survive into this year. They came up in the spring but I think the heat and dryness did them in and they disappeared. They've reappeared in the past couple of weeks with the cooler temps (at times) and rain. They haven't bloomed yet - maybe next year. I sure don't know much about growing poppies so maybe I've been delinquent this year with them. I am thinking about trying some WSing with some Heleborus foetidus seeds I collected earlier this year.
Tomatoes are still producing but smaller now. I did see a recipe for green tomato "gravy" on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives that I'd sure like to try as I know I'll have a few green ones hanging on at the end of the season. I have been a little disappointed with the flavor of 'Black Krim' but maybe it just hasn't been a good growing year.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9270119

That's interesting I am getting ready to try a couple of poppies.hope hope hope.
A few tomatoes. onions the herbs and greens doing okay, picked a small bowl of tomatoes today 20 or 30 of them I guess.
If my new daylily seedlings make it to four or five inches tall ,they will make it back next year. It just takes time pollenating ,pod collecting, germinating,and potting a while then planting.
I have pretty good size moon & stars melon growing ,might actually get on about market size!lol

BES and Coneflowers for WS always happens with some mine. They've adapted."pun", but a good thing!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 10, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9270613

I don't get a lot of coneflower self-sowing. My volunteers tend to be the columbines.
It's been getting chilly here the last couple of nights. Don't know if that's enough to affect tomato pollination or not. Would you believe I'm still only getting the male flowers on zucchini and squash? I'm not sure how low a temp they can take or if I should just pull them out now to make room for kale and chard seedlings.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9270883

Down to about 50 degrees some might when it colder only tomatoes usually continue set to about that temperature, some when it is cooler.At least as to mine that usually is.
I have no idea what's with all those male flowers on those squash and melon plants !
I planted poppy seeds yesterday and believe three of them sprouted overnight, I will have to have look later when I have more time.If they have, a finally something has gone right ,this year , finally .
I let a place or two "weed up " seems to help the Coneflowers and a few self sow. Kinda of a heavy mulch thing

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9272409

Some pics of the last few days activity. a attempt at villa type rock garden setting and second pic of the other side of the tree just getting started.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 12, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9272980

Nice focal points. Are you going to be adding some rock garden plants?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9273109

Sure but it is we decision,there is some Hen&Chicks an few sprigs of Red Sedum in there now.We will add more later if there is room ,only more than likely it will be a new variety of Hen&Chicks or similar.
The rock pile is destined to see ice plants, lavender and such.Some low growing plants toward the walk growing from center if all goes well.
That placement could be sun city in the middle of a desert!lol (not as funny as it might be and certainly the truth though).

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9273443

I broke down and bought some ice plants .I planted them today when they came. OH well still have two or three little ones I started from seed but that was another of my fails, I will likely have to keep them someplace because I don't see how they could make it through winter.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9275957

Well, I located the pics from some of my balcony gardens and scanned some into the computer. They're old, late 80's/early 90's, but it should give you guys an idea of what they looked like.

1) Sweet Banana Peppers allowed to mature to Red

2) 1st Eggplant of the season

3) Comparison with a light bulb showing the size of some of the tomatoes

4) More tomatoes - these were kind of a cross between cherry-size and a small slicing tomato

5) More tomatoes, both ripe and unripe

This message was edited Sep 15, 2012 1:20 PM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9275981

nice pics!! I wouldn't have been able to do that! MY Maximillion sunflower ,the red hibiscus I have shown a few times the little red mum and the zinnias are all blooming it up to finish the season,oh yeah the gaillliardia is still blooming I think the coreopsis have given up though.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9276042

But, of course you could plant veggies in pots! It's not that hard. With all the beautuful blooms you post, I'm sure you'd do just great!

It's nice to hear you have so many plants still blooming. So many of mine finished early and others, that should be done, still have some blooms, like one of my Monardas. Then there are the ones that never even came back this year. I still have some Gaillardia, Nepeta and a bit of Salvia plus a little bit of Rudbeckia and Echinacea, but they're mostly done.

I also just bought some Agastache and Sedum, but I'm going to leave them in pots for a while since I have to dig out the bed I plan to put them in. I'm really pleased with my "clearance" purchase from Lowe's of 4 Crimson Mandevillas. They were marked down from $9.00 each to $2.25 (75% off) and they were covered with blooms and buds! I'm going to try and keep them alive, but dormant, by moving them to my basement when the weather cools. At that price I can afford to take a chance.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9276077

I have been outside putting the stinging nettle back in it's containment area ,that's going to take a day or two .off and on.
Did you get the Agastache and Sedum t lowe's also ? MY cukes in pots failed this time, my fail not their's though really,lol.
The ice plant has stayed in bloom ,it came with a couple that close at night at reopen during the day ,nice fluorescence the blooms have, it's unusual.Like a mylar reflector I think that is really neat as in cool!
My tomatoes are about all that did well as far as vegies have gone ,but I am not disappointed as this has been the first year in a long while that I haven't had something happen that had taken me away from the garden.
I am still trying and starting all kinds of little plants hibiscus lupine poppies yarrows daylilies to name a few. Daylily and iris clumps I have been moving and dividing ,it doesn't take long to divide and move them ,only there are bunches of those here now! Possibly I have a few Penstemon and Agastache but we will have to see later to if that is for sure..I am not going to give up at either until I get at least one right one time.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9276105

Oh wow, you have a lot of plants going. Sorry about the cukes. I didn't even bother with veggies as the weather was being just too weird this year.

Yes, I got both the Agastache and Sedum at Lowe's. It's not my normal "go-to" place for plants, but I may start going there more often. They had a nice variety, even this late in the season, and the plants were very healthy-looking. They were also super-friendly, but that could be different from store-to-store.

My Agastache never came back this year which was a huge disappointment. The one I had - "Purple Pygmy"- was a smaller variety that was covered in deep purple-red blooms and very fragrant. I'd like to try some Penstemon.

For now, I set all my new plants in a few of my beds right in the pots. They really add some color and the foliage from other plants almost hides the pots.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9276128

I would like try palmerii and eatonii penstemon ,they require special handling from seed and that's mostly why I failed didn't catch the part about stratification and seed has to be "aged"?
We have a Lowe's here and I am there every so often
Had a few willow asters that have shown up on their own ,I will let them them grow where they are for now.I had entirely forgot earlier that I have four kinds of morning glory that are everywhere in bloom. Three are self sow returns.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9276143

nutsaboutnature'Earlier this spring huggergirl was talking about iris, I wondering if you knew where she had run off to? Simply hadn't heard what had happened.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 15, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9276197

Anemone 'September Charm' is finishing up here, yellow waxy bells blooms are starting to open up, Trycirtis have flower buds but won't bloom quite yet and my in-the-ground mums are huge this year due to increased sun and loaded with buds. And turtle head is blooming away in a remote spot in the yard. That plant can put up with a lot of neglect and still put out some flowers. Tempted to move a piece of it to a better spot to see if it does even better.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9280197

Sounds like some purrties! Flowers always always make us feel comfy in spring and fall in summer the remind us of spring and fall and nice weather;

Jerusalem Artichoke Harvest; Today! Winter food?

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 19, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9280438

DD's growing JAs in big planter boxes. She brought the plants up with her from TN in the spring. I have more to winter over here in pots for her.
Still have 4 or 5 tomatoes on the vine. I started pruning back the tomatoes so that the plants could put their energy into fruit-ripening. Have a couple of cukes as well that I'm hoping will fill out quickly before it gets much colder. Tricyrtis is starting to bloom now. Have 3 varieties. I like them for their late season blooms. My poor impatiens that I planted back in the spring - the ones that haven't done well due to dryness and heat - are begging for a mercy killing. They're only slightly bigger than when I planted them. Of my shade annuals, the Browallia seems to have done better with the terrible summer. Will have to come up with some sun-loving annuals to replace the impatiens next year.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9280451

You mean you overwinter them in pots like to store them? So you don't have to dig them from native earth!LOL IF that is I GET IT.
YEP Annuals sounds like a job for super zinnia!lol And marigolds perhaps?

I could use a few more fall blooming flowers myself mums are nice but ... yesterday

Thumbnail by juhur7

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 20, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9280936

I have a tall portable cold frame that I can winter-over potted perennials in. It gets placed up against the south side of the house and is also protected on the west by the garage. Once the plants go dormant, I can kinda stack the pots and fill in the spaces with leaves. I can open up the top on warm days to keep the temps low (relatively speaking). As for growing the JAs in pots, that's pretty much a temporary thing until she can get a garden set up again. She's currently in a rental after relocating and will be house-shopping soon.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9283265

Well I could not grow them in a pot only I could gather them up for harvest!

I don't do the house hunting thing to move anymore uh uh.

This is the second or third pot of these, as to how you look at it.16 OR 18 INCH PLANTER full of JA's

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 22, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9283293

Looks like a good harvest of JAs. I had never even tried eating them until this year. Pretty tasty.
Did get all of the tropicals indoors today except for a candy corn vine. Leaving it outdoors until our juvenile hummingbird leaves. I still have my feeders out but wanted to make sure there are enough flowers still out in the garden to help him bulk up for his long flight south. And I did get chard and kale seedlings in the ground but they're awfully tiny. Just hope they start growing soon.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9283327

Those always seemed tasteless to me so I chop them up mix them with regular potatoes for health food mashed potatoes.
UNLESS I plant to try more greens ,my season is over, frost tonight and tomorrow night ,My basil has not gone to seed so I covered it anyway as it is suppose to be nice next week,I want some seeds.It had already survived a 40 with no problem.
I have no idea of what low temperature a chamomile plant will take ,so I brought it in anyway also.
I've seen several hummers early this season and a few late during the past week or two .Tomatoes still harvesting and a raised bed covered and done for the season.If I did better as it cooled I would plant some other green crop only the cold wet weather still gets to me a little.Maybe next season?
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 23, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9283858

It's supposed to be a little colder tonight than it was last night so I'll probably throw a sheet over my tomato plants. Since that bed gets afternoon sun, maybe the soil will stay warm enough to provide a little heat under the sheet. I will bring in the last of the cherry tomatoes though. They'll just have to finish ripening in the house. I did throw a towel over my blooming Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender' since it's not hardy. I have to move it to a portable pot to bring indoors and haven't gotten to that yet.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9284170

I will let mine go ,I am not real thrilled about making an effort to a finally of a lousy season for me.Mostly my own fault from impatience and lack of effort or motivation to effort.
Sometings besides the food part of the garden happened rather well,there is about 15 or 16 new coneflowers that will bloom next year,besides the Milkshake that is about 2ft. tall and growing and looking good.
Some iris recovering and looking all right besides lots of new fans sprouting for next year.Everything I purchased seeds and plants grew and that is a great from my view.
I got some seeds from minnesota midget cantelope ,enough that I will get to try again mellons were to small to eat so my fails are my fails, it only proves what I knew before no matter the melon I have to water fertilize them 10 times more than anything else I grow.
A moon&stars survived last night with no problem , and if the same tonight a 10 or 12 pound melon even though small will have time to finish.
It really was not all that bad as far as flowers except they did not bloom well,the fall flowers are doing well though now as the weather cooled and became wetter.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 24, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9285310

juhur - sounds like you had some great successes despite our lousy weather.
Tomatoes survived under the sheet last night so I'm happy. Have about 6 'Black Krim' left on the plants and would like to see if there's enough time for them to ripen outdoors rather than trying the brown paper bag method as I'm doing with some others.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9292629

Well for today I moved about 100 rudbeckia lacianata, cutleaf coneflowers,wow was that ever!,moved about 8 purpleconeflowers and willow asters,I like the way the fall asters stand on the coneflower stalks.Nice white fall color.
Replanted a bunch of bulbs, and moved 2 three year old zebra grass plants,It might not sound like much only I got the meaning of "dig it" and then some.if that was not enough i lawn mowed Grandmas front yard and replanted a half a dozen blazing stars .
How's that for an evening of chores, isn't fall fun!!!
Day before yesterday a bunch of gallery lupines went in the garden 17 in fact.I'm really hoping they "root in" before the frost gets to be too much for them!!
I forgot about the two large clumps of daylilies that got moved in behind the coneflowers also. Couple of hours of Bzzzzz there!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 1, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9292881

Sheesh! You've been busy! Tomorrow I start digging up plants from the beds around the patio. Heuchera, Hosta, Astilbe, columbine, bulbs (Allium, daffodils, etc). Figuring I'll have 30 pots of stuff. Big oak next to patio coming down next week so gotta move plants out of the way. Also having the stump ground down so there will be sawdust everywhere to clean up. So, all the plants will go into pots temporarily and then replanted as soon as I clean up all of the sawdust.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9292909

I should say your turn!! LOL 8 or 10 pots is about my limit ,30? that is a lot of pots!!! You got something full of nitrogen to mix with all that sawdust for mulch, lots of hardwood minerals there.
Shame about the old Oak tree though.Happiness to the bees a butterflies and your view of more flowers though.good with the bad?
I still have flowers to plant,and they may end up in a pot under a table,unless we get a couple of weeks of warmer weather, hoping and hoping for that!!!
A couple of foxglove and blanket flower plants,they are mostly.reds for next year.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 2, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9293492

Last year when we took down 2 oaks by the driveway, I bought some natural higher nitrogen fertilizer to mix in with the sawdust and chippings. Too far to haul that much wood mulch to the back of the garden to compost so it went onto beds along with the fertilizer. I don't mulch with wood anymore but this was an exception. I didn't notice any adverse effects from using the fresh wood mulch but this summer's growing season (awful) would have made it difficult to tell. We had hoped to keep the oak but over time, more dead wood dropping. The very long live branches are towards the house which is also the direction that the tree has started to lean. I have had more butterflies and winged critters this year in the now-sunnier beds so I'm happy about that. Now I just need to study up on sun-loving plants to replace the shade-lovers.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9293588

Gailardia; Blanket flowers,) and Coreopsis are #1 sun lovers here!! My Grandiflora is still blooming, Hard to imagine my dollar store flower (from seed) is my longest most floriferious blooming plant.
Daisies are nice but they don't bloom long only profusely early!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 3, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9295031

Filled about 20 pots yesterday and dug for buried spring bulbs today. Sifting the soil of tree roots while searching for the bulbs plus moving soil away from the tree so that the stump can be ground down as far as possible. A couple more days of work in store.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9295082

I put some lupines in a soil bag after planting them in peat cups, did the same with some Daylily seeds as to soil bag.
Put maybe 18 little plants and pots in in an empty bag i'll keep them covered till after this weekend,.Then I will see what I can plant.
Things to do this time of year.Some of the little plants seem to enjoy this weather, they are growing really good getting their roots ready for winter.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 4, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9295661

In a way, I'm finding it a little disappointing to pull up annuals that have finally recovered from summer to make room for my tree to come down. While the impatiens have long been a lost cause, the Browallia with their violet flowers are almost cheerful this time of year.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9299833

The last of tomatoes!!!
The plants died in last nights 26 degrees!!
BROUGHT THE PURPLE BASIL INSIDE IN A POT!!
Had my new flower seedlings in the garage!!!

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 9, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9300920

Nice harvest on the tomatoes! Still have some annuals unaffected by cold but they sure are begging for rain.
My 65 foot oak came down today in 4 hours, all of it roped down. The tree people did a great job. Just have to rebuild a retaining wall and get my plants back in the ground.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9300988

How big of a wall? I have a few little border walls, Today I was pulling some more rope out of the ground ,nettles you know!lol I might save a few for plant ties or to give to ma robin building a nest next year,they are pulling and pecking strings from everything in the spring.
Yesterday I planted foxglove,two kinds of blanket flower, a couple more coneflowers, a coreopsis and an ice plant.
Today a re-did a salix tree, and took a few cuttings also, and then planted a fargesia rufa,Only thing that was as much as it sounds was getting the nettle trimmed back to containment so I could mulch the willow,Got to be a little bit of work there.
Still if it all returns, and does well, it is worth every minute,Love the blooms the following year, only thing blooming now are the willow asterst,The honey bees adore the blooms,more bees are here now then I have seen in years!Yes indeed !!I am still a weed lover LOL
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 10, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9301460

I'm discovering that the more sun I let into my shady yard, the more bees and pollinators I have which is fun for me. I have one section that I've turned into a pesticide-free zone just for them because we usually have to spray for mosquitoes from time to time.
My little retaining wall is only about 1 1/2 ft at most around our small patio. My backyard slopes toward the wetlands and creek (which I guess is a good thing) and creates some erosion challenges.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9301591

I remember you saying something about the erosion ,along with the Campanula. I would imagine the light makes a few possibles that were not there before.Even if it is farther away from the creek and nearer the house or uphill garden.
I would imagine if it all slopes right into the creek, like daylily cattail and some of the grasses are about the choices.
Of course you could always dig in a waterlily pool, only i seem to remember you saying something about the creek being a shared property?I have no experience with water wetland gardens at all so I am really nowhere knowing with that.
There really aren't a lot choices about wetland blooming plants in our near zone levels.I guess that is where ""Going Green"" might of started . As to a many a plant holding soil or root cleaning water systems. There all really green.lol
I have a white willow planted in the backyard over an old septic tank sink ,it is the only deep rooted plant that has grown anywhere near well at the placement. Grounds poison there and it goes for about an 18 by 20 pond about 12 ft. down, I wished I could of run a small pump and line to use the water for the garden, only as said it is all poison so that is no place.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 10, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9301712

The wetlands start just beyond my back property line so thankfully I don't have to worry about finding out what will grow and what won't. Funny enough though, the ground inside my property line gets totally dried out so proximity of the wetlands with slightly moister soil doesn't occur.
I now get more sun coming into south-facing windows (nice in the winter!) and the sun reaches further into my shady back yard, hopefully giving those shade-lovers and my lawn a little more light to perform better. Definitely nice not to have branches from the oak hanging over my kitchen skylight and worry if the next storm will drop more branches on it or my little hobby greenhouse.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 25, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9315156

Golly - the winds and rains really have the oak leaves falling here like a blizzard. Getting ready for the big temperature drop tonight. It's been balmy 70+ degree weather here the last two days and I hate to see that end tonight. Got the potted perennials ready to go into the cold frame in the next day or so depending on how cold it gets here. Have already drained one rain barrel for the winter and will probably drain the other two this weekend unless the nighttime temps stay above freezing.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9315283

I am still garage cleaning (BLAH!!) I am going to make an attempt (uh huh) at a cold frame made from aquarium safety glass We will have to see how that goes, for the time being an upside down aquarium is going to have to do.I don't have the time to do the cold frame.
Incredible at how warm the last few days have been isn't it!!!? Awesome huh!!? Only tonight late or tomorrow comes that BOOM drop and maybe like April before we see any of these temps again.
I have a half a dozen pow wow wild berry that are tiny, cannot grow them indoors so under glass outside they go!hope!
Well back to bag and stack and then DINNER ALL RIGHT!!!!.

OH, i almost forgot ,dodging leaves bouncing around across your forward and eyes can be frustrating after a while,Thank heavens for hats and glasses there!!!!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 26, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9315932

Are you going to be able to ventilate your aquarium on sunny days? Or do you have a spot picked out of the winter sun?
Temps in the low 40's this morning. I don't think we quite got down to freezing yet. Have terracotta pots all huddled on the patio, still full of plants, that have to be emptied and stored for the winter. Can't leave them outside or they'll crack. I think tomorrow is outdoor/garage cleanup day for me as well as deciding the fate of some potted plants - discard or squeeze into cold frame or let go semi-dormant in heated garage or find a little more space in my little GH. I hate making those decisions.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9316047

I am hoping the seals around the edge and the mulch soil will allow ventilation. When I finally build one I will try a few automatic temperature activated springs.
I was using mighty seal from the DS and WM to seal weather proof pots and stakes, Those decisions about what to keep in and what has to stay outside are awful on the emotion when you have a good many plants you want to keep.
I got an elite rhododendron plant and some deerfield garlic ,and the garlic I have to plant yet , That is probably going to be it for this year , a few onions and lettuce plants have returned from self sow in the garden, and I have a basil plant in the house that has flowered ,so maybe I get seeds for next year.
I am only hoping for a couple of weeks of good cold winter weather to kill off most the bugs and soil fungus, that did not happen last year and a few of the stronger soil diseases gave me problems.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 30, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9320056

Everything is tucked into the cold frame but am leaving the top open for now since we haven't had a freeze yet. The cold frame won't keep them from going dormant but it adds a zone or two of protection for plants in pots. I found room in my little GH for my pot of Swiss chard that's been growing outdoors all summer. If I can get a few more meals from it, that would be great. Doesn't cost me anything to bring it in. Still waiting for frost to cut back my one potted canna and still have a large pot of multi-colored carrots that I'll harvest tomorrow for my granddaughters. That leaves two potted hydrangeas that will come into the garage when it gets colder. I do still have blooming mums to pick if I can survive the wind out there today.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9321643

Well i looked at my little Coneflower starts today ,they look good but really small, I have had a couple of hybrid cross Daylilies sprout this past week. Radishes old tough and blooming as cover crop in a raised bed.
Now all I have to do is muster up some self motivation to dig and design properly,lol Oh and I planted some Pasture of Pleasure Daylily a nice DG'er sent me for postage .
Rainy wet and windy every day does not help the motivation but I am not going to complain about the rain, I missed it this summer!.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

November 4, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9324378

The wind last week sure saved me a lot of raking but we did splurge on a new Toro leaf vac/blower with a metal propeller. A vast improvement over my 20+-yo machine. I'm trying to shred leaves for both the compost pile and to use for mulch next growing season as I'm trying to get away from 100% wood mulches. Done digging in the dirt for the year but will soon start contemplating winter sowing. Haven't done much of that but have saved plastic milk jugs if I can figure out what seeds I'd like to try.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9324470

Wintersow.org I use to have their list of info but they didn't post it his year. Believe it or not my best luck was with cornflower and sunflower year before last, as you know from our conversation they all flopped this year.

I added a few a Daylily to the glass with the pow wow wild berry I have some poppy at the side of the house ,only never have I had any luck with those ,failed or eaten, or destroyed, or dug up by something always seems to happen.

Power was off this morning here ,like cool for that at 30 degrees, so first thing was out to the garage to fill the kerosene heater,I suppose that is a prayer of thanks for having that on Sunday morning.
The power came back on right as finished getting it going and the room starting to warm up, little laugh, still thankful for gadgets and gizmos like the heaters though.

Mg's are good if you like vines,very last thing to appear for me ,they usually wait till mid June very often to appear.B. .buttons., love cold wet weather here ;contrary to what I read everyplace I have had them live four or so years.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

November 5, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9325536

Interesting website. Will have to look at it in greater detail. Have both granddaughters here at the moment so not much time.
Do you mean that you wintersow your morning glories?
I totally agree with having various heater gadgets around just in case. We don't have a generator and not sure if our rare power outages make it worth the price.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9325561

Sure, to winter sow the morning glories, Same about the generator as long as I can have heat I am okay.
Glad you may enjoy the winter sow web! ^_^
Digging and replanting ditch lily today>
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

November 6, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9326138

Just gave most of my ditch lilies to a friend. She asked specifically for them. I think all I have left are a couple of sneaky plants that had regrown from lost pieces of root.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9326146

I put them around trees and such ,easy mow around.!!lol they improve my soil too!!
I have to admit though, unless you just plain like them ,! they aren't the plant for you.
The medium hybrids are nice for people that like that smaller hybrids, me? I like the giant blooms on the new hybrids ,and i haven't even seen any except in pictures, They are getting up to near dinner plate size now, who ever would of thought that!! yeah I know ,dna lab techs, aka Frankenstein!!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

November 7, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9327268

Wow - flowers that big??? I don't have a lot of space for the foliage and tend to gravitate towards the shorter varieties - under 24 inches. I do have a double pure yellow one that I really like.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9327288

I saw those on a page I have lost where the blooms are on the table in a vase as the judges walk past, Not a trick those blossoms are huge!!
DSC00722.JPG
tulsadaylily.blogspot.com The one next to her as compared to her hand not as big as the other link I will find again only that bloom is large!
The red one next to his knee looks like one of mine I made from ground up matter in a tube lol
Daylily‑Show_t300.jpg
albanyherald.com
I hope these work I have a terrible time getting links right.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9327443

I get to excited, I am too old to get excited!!lol I planted the red garlic today ,the little snake garlic looks good already after a few weeks of growing , Set some marigolds aside to dry now that they are done blooming.
If it gets into the 60's this weekend without raining cats and dogs I will do some work on a few garden beds, covering them preparing them for what I plan to plant next spring, routine but interesting if the self energy is there to "gettin er done""
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

November 8, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9328113

I'm officially done outside (except for more leaf removal). I do have two potted Hydrangeas out there that I'll drag in when it gets colder (next week?). All other pots are empty and indoors and finally cut down my canna. Did a little more work on the compost pile this morning and vacuumed up some more leaves this afternoon. My MI granddaughter went home yesterday so now it's time for indoor stuff. I thought it was supposed to be sunny and in the 50's today and I was looking forward to being out there. Guess I shouldn't believe the weatherman.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9328120

Same here about the weather ,sunny and 55 is 48 cloudy with drizzle ,what a thing!!huh, Well nobody is correct all the time,lol
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

November 11, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9330217

Beautiful, windy morning here. Sunny, warm, blue sky. Makes me want to do just one more thing outdoors today but unfortunately have other plans. I am having second thoughts about letting 3 variegated hydrangea rooted cuttings tough it out in the cold frame for the winter. I know they tend to be a little sensitive here. They're from DD's plant in her former TN home. Hmmm - might just have to bring those in for the winter where they won't freeze since there's no going back to get more cuttings.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9330566

I have variegated butterfly bush under my wanna be cold fame, I am going to let mine stay, The only hydrangea that I had died early this year it was four years old or something like that.
WEATHER HAS BEEN UNBELIEVABLE !!! two days in the seventies ,sunny all day yesterday ,windy cloudy and little colder feeling today . All kinds of things got finished ,odds and ends about what we have talked about.
Will have to wait and see ,how the rhododendrons do with the bamboo next year .
Seems I could play with plants forever a few hours at a time , or minutes when I know what I am doing.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

November 14, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9333258

The weather was gorgeous on Saturday here but I was mostly in the little gh putting up some of the insulation. Now sunny during the day and just below freezing at night. I still have a list of outdoor chores I could tackle if it warmed up enough to be enticing outdoors. Otherwise, I'm not going to worry too much.

ves522

ves522
Jim Falls, WI
(Zone 4a)

December 9, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9353817

Snow in the garden today!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9354510

Vicki -- how much did you get? I saw Lake Delton got about 5 wet inches... we still have nothing. just light rain all day yesterday.
Is Ty diggin' the snow??

ves522

ves522
Jim Falls, WI
(Zone 4a)

December 10, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9354518

About 12 inches. Ty loves the snow!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9360954

RAINY ,WET SEASON NICE KIND OF THE PAST FEW DAYS: set up concrete reinforcing fence and stakes for spring tomatoes to grow on ,garlic growing nicely Planted Borage and Peppermint today.. Catnip is still green,, who would of thought?
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

December 17, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9360963

Still no snow here. Maybe by the weekend though. I'm just hoping for enough moisture to help newly re-installed perennials to winter over. We've missed out on a lot of rain. Did play indoors though - repotting some lavender cuttings and dividing up a pot of 4 sage plants. Coleus cuttings were repotted last week, trying to get them growing well to take more cuttings from after the holidays.
Have noticed many more birds this year at the feeder. Some say the drought has forced some of the foraging birds to the feeders.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9366391

We get a snowstorm(Blizzard?) for Christmas or the day after,, That should be fun?
Few birds here this winter, wonder were they went ,suppose there is better food and cover some other place..?
Some cuttings already rooted look good outdoors my indoor attempts were that attempts . Butterfly bush is still green? I did not know they were evergreen. (they are not).

Well Merry Christmas !!!if you are some other faith? Happy Holidays.

Have not been back to the garden in while, I will have to take look, maybe about the end of February?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9366560

>>Butterfly bush is still green? I did not know they were evergreen. (they are not).

Last year, with the warm[er] winter we had, mine kept leaves all year. I too was very surprised... I never did cut it back and looked fine all season. It still has leaves so far this season.

Merry Christmas.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

December 27, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9368304

Hope everyone had a great holiday! Have been getting little snow showers but nothing to really cover the ground. All of the lake effect snow has been falling east of us by about 10 miles.
I'm guessing with our warm winter last year, a lot of shrubs that normally die back to the ground in zone 5 managed to hold onto leaves and branches. I took some butterfly bush cuttings from DD's shrub in TN when she moved north and they're currently residing in my cold frame (which is probably a zone warmer on the south side of the house) and they're still holding onto their leaves.
I need to be thinking about some wintersowing if I'm going to do any. Have milk jugs and seeds but need to set aside the time.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9368407

We did get get snow ,yesterdays storm; it was more and worse farther south;

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

December 28, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9368993

I had seen the snow you all got and am glad I didn't have to travel south on I65. We're getting a little snow this morning - the pretty stuff - but I don't think we'll get more than an inch or two. Heading up to MI tomorrow morning for granddaughter's b-day so hopefully roads will be clear by then. DH's b-day was yesterday, brother's the day before and FIL on Christmas eve. Hoping to go through some seed catalogs later today and get an order in over the next couple of days.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9369281

we were supposed to get an inch today... whatever came down, melted. just the grass is lightly covered. that's it.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

December 28, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9369289

The snow did stop and some melted on pavement (thankfully). I'm getting to that age where I have to be careful on ice, especially since I'm not the most graceful person. Looks like it's going to get kinda cold next week - highs in the 20's. Brrr. I did get some new "garden" boots for Christmas out of the Farm Supply catalog. BOGS is the name. Supposed to be good to -40 as well so I'm looking forward to checking them out when it comes time to shovel the driveway or tromp around the backyard to the compost pile.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9374479

I restarted this thread :i do not know how to transfer links , same forum...

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9374514

New Thread for a New Year
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292711/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America