Growing Pumpkin on a Trellis? Can This Really Be Done?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm planning on growing some 'Triple Treat' Pumpkin in my fall garden, problem is space. I've heard you can grow them on a trellis. Is this true? what keeps the fruits from falling off because of their weight?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I am sure pumpkins could be grown on a trellis. I think the one you have selected is a bit large for supporting the pumpkins on the trellis.

I was not familiar with the 'Triple Treat' Pumpkin so researched the size. Burpees says 9 inches across and 8 pounds? If you haven't gotten the seed yet, you might look for a smaller pumpkin maybe.

Last summer I grew small melons on a trellis and used produce type mesh bags to use as slings to support the weight of the fruit so I know it can be done.

Good luck ~ Kristi

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks podster, I already purchased the seed, but I may repurchase to grow on trellis now, lol

I think I still have some seed for the small sugar pumpkin if you are interested I'll go look? Last years seed but they are stored in the freezer...

Well... looking at their description, I'm not sure they are any smaller...

Small Sugar

115 days. This variety is famous for the making of pies. Small handy size but good producer. Fruits round 6 to 8 pounds, flattened at ends, rind hard, smooth, deep orange, somewhat ribbed. Flesh thick, sweet and dry, bright orange color and high quality. Sometimes called New England Pie

So I guess you might try the ones you have, sorry. Kristi

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

You can tie them up with panty hose they stretch as the fruit grows. I would think 8lbs wouldn't be too big. Just don't stand under it to find out. Lol

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

(wonder's who Kristi is...lol) anyway, I'm gonna give the 'Triple Treat' a go this fall and see what happens!

LOL ~ and please do let me know how it does, Strudy trellis?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.