Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

Nice little find on my parents' farm!

Thumbnail by l6blue Thumbnail by l6blue
Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

mouth watering!

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

My brother has been helping them by clearing out some dying trees from the margins of the woods, and it's been fun seeing all the different plants that show up now that the shade isn't as dense. This past weekend I saw huge colonies of dutchman's breeches and ramps.

Cherry Grove, OH(Zone 6b)

Yummy, it's a great year for them here.
There are great swaths of ramps growing in our woodlands this year.

Thumbnail by SteveOh
Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

Nice, Steve. I tried to convince my parents and brothers that they could harvest some of the ramps and cook with them, but they seemed skeptical.

It's good to be skeptical when it comes to foraging plants.
That's why you always see the disclaimer "check with a local expert first".

I harvest them every year so I already know what to look for, but they're not particularly hard to identify. The potent onion smell is very obvious if you tear a leaf or crack the stem.
Just to be safe, you should always have a "local expert" confirm your ID. I've seen ramps with white stems, red stems and purple stems just above the bulb. The leaf broadness varies quite a bit too in different populations.

Tasty find, there, I6blue, congratulations.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

What are Ramps?

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

I wanna find some! There are a few things growing in the sunny spots in our woods that I can't identify, that sorta kinda look like ramps. I need to yank some up and bring them to the local extension service to identify.

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

gasrocks, they're Allium tricoccum, aka, wild leeks, aka delicious. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_tricoccum

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks. Wonder if I have some. I'll have to look. Does anyone know if they grow in my area?

This message was edited May 14, 2012 11:21 AM

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

According to the USDA map, they grow in Wisconsin. If you click on the map on your state, it will tell you which counties it's prevalent in.
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ALTR3

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Cool. Includes the country I live in.

It might be a little late in the season, gasrocks. The Ramps here have already lost their leaves and sent up their flower buds. (Still good to eat, just harder to find) I am on the border of zone 6b/a. 5a can't be too far behind. Best of luck. :)

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

gasrocks, my ramps (zone 4b) are already losing their leaves, so, as Steve pointed out, you may have a hard time finding them, although I am sure they are there.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Once, long ago I was told that anything you find "wild" that smells like an onion or garlic is OK to eat. Yes?

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, nooo, I guess ours are done for the season, too. I will know to look earlier next year.

Here's a link to my "after the leaves are gone" picture of ramps. They are still harvest-able, don't despair.

Edit: Doh!...forgot the link.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1257379/

This message was edited May 16, 2012 7:32 PM

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Oops, ya forgot the link. lol

Added the link. Sorry...had a brain fart.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL Thanks! Don't feel bad, it happens to me a lot!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.