Photo by Melody

Sustainable Alternatives: Are You (Unintentionally) Supporting Monsanto??

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 32, Views: 297
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9083465

"Monsanto offers the world’s vegetable growers more than 4,000 distinct seed varieties representing more than 20 species. Monsanto’s vegetable seed business serves customers through its brands: Seminis, De Ruiter Seeds and regional brands."

http://inspirationgreen.com/duplicate-of-organic-vegetables-start-out-as-seed.html

The website above lists Seed Companies (Regional Brands like Totally Tomatoes, or Jung Seeds) wholly owned by Monsanto, and some were a big surprise to me! They don't necessarily sell GMO seeds, but sales of their seeds still support Monsanto.

See also http://tinyurl.com/8y9cmjj

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9083849

Thanks, Darius! The only thing I grow on the Monsanto list is Black Beauty eggplant; I guess I need to find an alternative.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 17, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9085927

You can buy Black Beauty from an organic seed company and none of their money goes to Monsanto. Just because a seed was developed by Monsanto doesn't mean they still own it. They only collect money from patented varieties. Some websites can be so misleading.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9086136

Thanks - I wondered about that.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9086267

I'm don't know whether Monsanto owns the seed patent for that eggplant or nor, but I wouldn't decide on buying it from even an organic supplier until I knew for certain.
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9089092

Thank you, Darius, for this list!

Dee
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9095558

That website is misleading, it is BS. Makes me want to scream at the wrong information available just to inflame the public.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9095980

Okay, in what way is it misleading and how can we find more accurate information?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9096118

How can a site that lists ownership of seed companies be misleading? How can statements that such and such a plant patent is owned by XYZ be misleading?
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 26, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9098382

Many of those plant varieties were never patented plus they are over 20 years old and the patent would be expired if there were one in the first place. If a plant/seed variety is patented it will have PP plus a number after the name. If a patent has been applied for but not issued it will have PPAF.
Buy seeds from organic companies that grow their own seeds.

I think misinformation does more harm than good and when people speak from emotion instead of common sense can have the oppoosite effect than what was intended. Do a little research, don't always take one website's opinion on anything.

Monsanto is not the only company producing GMO seeds. Round-up/glyphosphate is now manufactured by other companies.

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

April 27, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9100614

Monsanto is not the only company involved in GMO, but it is a very aggressive and huge outfit - with only one purpose for existance - making money for the company officers and shareholders. The earth and we consumers are far behind in their consideration - we only count in that if we balk at buying their products, that gets their attention. However, they are big time and what we little folk think is not on their radar. They are not intentionally evil people, but their goals are not necessarily those of gardeners and customers who think the Monsanto approach is ultimately a very bad one for people and the planet. Their philosophy of living goes in a different direction from mine. Short term profits can result in disaster in the long run for the earth if that is the only guiding light. Supporting companies with a different philosophy from Monsanto is the only way things will ever be changed (there is always hope) for the better. We have to be sensitive to the needs of developing countries who think seed and chemicals from companies like Monsanto is the only way to produce the food their people need. Only time shows them that it backfires. It is not a simple question of one right way - but we all need to have better long range thinking - companies, governments, and plain people. (All my opinion only).
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9107154

[quote="Calalily"]Many of those plant varieties were never patented plus they are over 20 years old and the patent would be expired if there were one in the first place. If a plant/seed variety is patented it will have PP plus a number after the name. If a patent has been applied for but not issued it will have PPAF.
Buy seeds from organic companies that grow their own seeds.

I think misinformation does more harm than good and when people speak from emotion instead of common sense can have the oppoosite effect than what was intended. Do a little research, don't always take one website's opinion on anything.

Monsanto is not the only company producing GMO seeds. Round-up/glyphosphate is now manufactured by other companies.[/quote]

What plant varieties are you referring to that were never patented? Even a plant 20 yrs old or older can still have a patent if that patent was renewed. There are many many plants patented, more of them being patented in recent years as money continues to be more and more of a factor in the business.
Monsanto may not be the only company producing GMO seed, however they are the largest company (thinking in terms of dollars and resources) that is at this time.
I think the main idea here is to buy heirloom seeds and know where they are coming from and what one may inadvertently be supporting. The bottom line is, we should all be very concerned about the future quality and availability of food. I believe it is vitally important to prevent a huge portion of the food supply from being controlled, owned, or funded by any one group. The question is, if it becomes a problem, how can it be stopped?
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9107168

http://www.monsanto.com/products/pages/vegetable-seeds.aspx

DIRECT from their home page on Monsanto website-----

"Monsanto offers the world’s vegetable growers more than 4,000 distinct seed varieties representing more than 20 species. Monsanto’s vegetable seed business serves open-field and protected culture customers through its brands: Seminis, De Ruiter Seeds and regional brands."

And regional brands could be who knows how many. ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seminis
according to this link, Seminis is the largest seed company in the world. Keep in mind that Monsanto owns not only the largest seed company, but also DeRuiter Seeds as well as the aforementioned 'regional brands'. With these figures in mind, Monsanto EASILY owns WAY over half of the WORLDS seed supply. IMO only a fool would not admit that this is troubling.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9107185

http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pages/Why-Does-Monsanto-Patent-Seeds.aspx

Explains Monsanto patents. I take it that even if the seed itself is not patented, the technology Monsanto used to produce the genetic triats of the seed IS patented, and is considered Intellectual Property. Therefore, IMO it seems that ALL Monsanto seeds are protected legally. Am I misunderstanding that?

Farmers purchasing seeds, must sign a contract agreeing to not save seeds produced from a crop and they must re-buy seed from a licensed supplier.

According to Monsanto's site, the use of agricultural patents has dramatically increased in the past 10 yrs.

The last paragraph on that page is VERY frightening. Basically, it says they have all of society's best interest in mind and they plan to feed the WORLD.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9111661

http://www.rag.org.au/modifiedfoods/roundup1.htm

here is a link I ran across while searching for info on Glyphosate and deformed iris. Has nothing to do with iris by the way...
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 6, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9112318

Frilly Lilly, it is people like you who make me want to buy 100 gallons of Round up and all my seeds from Semminis.

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

May 6, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9112948

FrillyLily

Keep up the good work.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9112986

It would be very adult to allow differing opinions without insulting them.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9113092

Agreed. After all, this is the sustainable alternatives forum; you'd expect people to have these concerns here, wouldn't you?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9114328

I found the article FrillyLily shared very interesting.

One of these days "they" will find out just what harm these herbicides, pesticides and fungicides are doing to us, and, like Europe, they will ban them!

I realized today that the ONLY time in my adult life that I fell ill was when I lived in an apartment and didn't have a vegetable garden! I also gained an enormous amount of weight during that same time period.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9115706

Basically there are no long term studies that I am aware of that PROVE that long term use of these products/seeds will not lead to
1. a contaminated water supply
2. soil rendered unusable for how long?
3. malnutrition, severe food allergies/reactions, cancer, other health problems
4. physical/mental deformities during fetal development (think great grandchildren with no arms and 2 noses)
5. contaminated meat supply due to livestock eating GMO grains
6. a severe upset in wildlife (birds, fish, insects (bees), animals or native plants)
7. rationing or lack of access/control of public food supply/governments using food to control a population
8. a greater loss of small business/farms/individual independence
9. more loss of heirloom seeds, which will be replaced...how?
10. Once people, food supply, wildlife, livestock, heirloom seed, or soil is affected, what can be done to reverse that damage? Is there a plan for that IF it happens?

There could be even more concerns I haven't thought of right off.
But there's a list of some potential concerns people should have of supporting Monsanto or other comparable company.
Basically someone has their hands in the cookie jar making a ton of money, while approving something that the long term repercussions are unknown and there isn't any plan of action to detect any adverse reactions and no plan on how to stop or repair anything that could go wrong.

There is very little to no knowledge on the long term risks of using these products in mass, world over, for a long period of time. In a nutshell it all seems unproven, untested, and risky. In many ways.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9115757

Once soils are poisoned it will be too late to prevent humans from dying of hunger.

This beautiful planet of ours will still be here long after we humans have turned to dust.

FrillyLilly - did I see that it is your birthday today? If so, happy birthday!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9115792

You might check out these links.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/california-gmo-labeling-initiative-headed-for-ballot-right-to-know-campaign-turns-in-nearly-one-million-signatures-149840255.html
http://www.organicconsumersfund.org/donate/moneybomb.cfm
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_25229.cfm
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_24074.cfm

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9115841

If Monsanto is so proud of what they are doing, you would think they would want to have GMOs listed on labels.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9115854

Ain't that the truth!
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9116022

[quote="HoneybeeNC"]If Monsanto is so proud of what they are doing, you would think they would want to have GMOs listed on labels.[/quote]

By not having food labeled GMO, Monsanto can force people to buy/use/eat the products. Many people assume that if a product is not labeled GMO then it isn't. In the meantime, more and more products are added to the shelves and people are unaware. Some can plead ignorance, some are aware but don't care, and others know but think it won't hurt them. Over time so many products will end up tainted that practically everyone will be forced to use them and there will be no alternative. Monsanto stands to make a fortune. Let's be realistic, millions of people head to work everyday and live in apartments and so forth, and are not able to grow their own food. Completely dependent on whatever is put on the grocery shelf for them to 'choose' from. Well, brand A is chock full of dye, artificial preservatives and GMO fructose corn syrup... guess what brand B is made of...
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9116029

[quote="HoneybeeNC"]

FrillyLilly - did I see that it is your birthday today? If so, happy birthday![/quote]

Yes, today is my birthday, and I am 35. Thank you for noticing! My daughter,12, says that I have only 15 good years left and then I will officially be old by her standards...

I told her I am getting younger every day, not older :)

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9117258

FrillyLily - I was "29" for many years, until my children were old enough to work out that it couldn't possibly be true. Now my 40 year old daughter is "29" LOL

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9119946

I found this doing a search for glyphosate. It's a bit winded but well worth the read.
http://www.lavidalocavore.org/diary/4523

Doug
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 21, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9132765

some very interesting things to think about there.

I ran across something the other day about corn. I have recently found out that I have a corn allergy. Even if I just eat a little bit, I have symptoms and now have to carry an EpiPen with me everywhere. There was a lady on an allergy site who posted a list of items her daughter could not have and boy was it was LENGTHY. I can hardly believe all the things corn is in, and in unpronounceable forms too.
Manufacturers are not required by law to specifically label a food product as containing corn, or to disclose if it is genetically modified corn. (hopefully those things will change in the future). She was saying that manufacturers are trying to talk the FDA into allowing them to use the word 'sugar' in place of 'high fructose corn syrup' because after all it is a type of sugar right? Well, if they get their way, people w corn allergies will have no way of knowing if a product containing sugar is made of corn or not. It would be a nightmare for people with severe food allergies. The other thing she said is that her daughter has reactions sometimes to meat, other times she does not, and this was finally pinpointed to corn fed beef vs beef that was not corn fed. So there are people so affected by corn that they cannot even eat animals that ate the corn. Hard to believe that such a severe sensitivity could exist, to such a minute exposure. Which is even further disturbing considering GMO foods, antibiotics, artificial colors ect ect. We just don't know what long term affects these things could have on people.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
3:35 AM

Post #9133051

Some very good points there. Is there a group that lobbies congress about these issues? Politicians aren't especially interested in preferences, but I think they do pay attention to medical aspects.
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9134313

In the northeast, NOFA (Northeast Organic Farming Association) has state chapters who work on food issues. I believe several of the NOFA chapters are involved in a lawsuit against Monsanto, and the CT chapter worked in the recent (unsuccessful) lobbying in CT to get GMO ingredients on food labels.

http://www.nofa.org/index.php
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9134982

I have a sneaking suspicion that Monstanto could also have money invested in pharmaceutical companies. which then gets into the FDA. So it makes a full circle, see?
Monsanto did ( I say did, because I do not know about currently?) acquire Surrel Pharmaceuticals. This company is the original manufacturer of Nutra Sweet, or aspartame artificial sweetener, among of course many many other products.
From what I understand all the case studies used by the FDA to give approval of aspartame were funded by Monsanto and were of sketchy quality. (few subjects, short testing time, no long term follow up of subjects, ect) In comparison, this would be like you being your own judge at a trial where you were accused of murder.

The FDA has gotten more reports of aspartame causing serious health problems, (death, seizures, strokes ect) than any other approved food additive, yet it is still on the shelves.
There is big money to be had in health care. If the folks who manufacture food can get you into the doctor's office, they can sell you their expensive meds. Well you clearly aren't going to stop eating, so now you are buying their food and their meds, and they have you returning over and over because the food makes you sick. And they really don't care if their products make you sick, as long as you are spending money! Their goal is to produce as much of a product as fast as possible so they can make more money. If that means producing inferior or unsafe products, so be it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America