Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: HELP - water garden in a pot

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 3, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eden100
Edinburg, IL
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9083708

I've read a lot about water gardens and it all sounds so easy but no one talks about keeping the water clean. How can I keep the water clean for my lily and lotus that are in containers? I read that the water only needs to be refilled and not changed. I started with new clean containers but the water keeps getting a layer of scum. I've repotted several times now but I'm still getting that slimey green stuff and a really thin layer that looks oily. I've used a tiny skimmer to scoop out debris, changed the water, changed the soil type and it continues to get nasty. I moved the tub to the greenhouse so nothing blew into it but the same thing happened. I've tried top soil, river mud, kitty litter (which was way cleaner) and no mater what...the water gets scummy on top. I began to think our well water was the problem so today I started the new Helvola lily and dwarf lotus in spring water and distiled water until I can gather enough rain water to bring the water level up. Aside from the slimey problem there's a lot of stuff carried by the wind out here in the country. Once the leaves fill the pots i don't know how I'm going to be able to skim the debris from the surface. Am I fighting a losing battle?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9083914

Eden

Try some pea gravel that has been rinsed clean first as your potting mix. It is all I will use because of the reasons you cited.

I do think a smaller container is harder to keep clean - you may have to do some type of water exchanges.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9142441

Hi Eden,
I just use large river rock. About 1 or 2" pieces. No soil of any type. My pots are in my pond which has filtered water flowing thru all the time so don't know if this will help. I have never fertilized a plant in 4 years and they keep growing.
Still or stagnent water will form scum or algae I'm sure. Maybe if you create a way for water to run thru your plants it will clear up. Otherwise I don't see any alternative than water changes all the time. Sorry I'm not much help.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9144487

Every now and then I stick the hose in to let the surface water flow over the edge for just a minute. Nothing magor. I also add tadpoles. They keep the water sparkling clean and eat the fallen debri. I never use fertilizer in my smaller water bowls. Just tadpole poop and natural organic breakdown.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America