Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Fuchsias: My Overwintered Fushias.

Communities > Forums > Fuchsias
bookmark
Forum: FuchsiasReplies: 4, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 15, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9083844

I have a Fuchsia, that I overwinter in the garage, and it come back year after years. My garage isn't heated, but is insulated, My husband has an office in the back, a little heat does escape from it. The temp in the colder days goes to about 34-36F. I did try to overwinter a few others the same way, but with no success. I brought in Blue eyes, to overwinter in the house and another with a very large pale pink bloom unknown. They are growing well, but I have to constantly monitor for aphids on my blue eyes. The pink isn't bothered by aphids, which I like very much.
Anyone knows the name of the first two?

Overwintered in garage, is the first one, the skirt has a tinge of purple to it.
Second one is the one with the large pale pink bloom.
Third is the Blue eyes fuchsia,that I grow in full shade here.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 11:14 AM

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007
Click an image for an enlarged view.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9084136

How gorgeous! I just love Blue Eyes! And your others are beautiful too but I am no help in naming them. I definitely think I'll try them inside and take them out in Fall and Spring. :)
Catsmiling
Moss Landing, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9084682

Beautiful! I saw some fuchsias at HomeDepot the other day and the tag said "annual" on it. That makes me so sad, because they can live for decades. So happy to see you are keeping yours going by overwintering them. Have you looked in the PlantFiles here to see if your mystery fuchsias are in there?
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9104230

Beautiful and healthy fuchsias! I don't know the names of hanging basket fuchsias, but the first one looks like it could be an upright. It looks a great deal like one sold as a generic by some of the big home improvement stores. I have one that looks exactly like it which I call "Abby Rose". Not an official name :) But better than their generic "upright fuchsia."
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 30, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9104771

Baroilio and Catsmiling, thanks. I did look through plant files, but there were to many that looks similar, hard to decide which and be sure. But it's ok, I just love the plants, no matter what name it has.
Thanks Pedrick, the one your saying looks like an upright, I have actually, seen it trained as a small tree. I had that one for years. I'm pretty sure, I started it from a cutting, that someone gave me. Abby Rose is a much nicer name, that's for sure. :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fuchsias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Amazing fuchsias Zanymuse 84 Sep 3, 2009 2:19 AM
Who would like to see a Fuchsia Forum!? PedricksCorner 134 Dec 2, 2009 6:06 PM
Let's get a Fuchsia forum going! PedricksCorner 83 Sep 3, 2009 2:21 AM
help with my fuchsia jjpate 2 Jun 8, 2009 5:38 AM
Fuschia - do I trim this? blackThumbz 15 Sep 4, 2009 4:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America