Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Texas Gardening: So Long!

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 22, Views: 247
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9083865

When I moved to Texas (Houston) in 1989, I figured I'd be a short timer as I had been all of my life up to that point, as I had never lived in a single dwelling, nor the same State (sometimes country) for more than 3 years at a time. Little did I know several mile stones would be set for me in Texas. From not knowing a soul, to a rich network of friends and garden friends. I transformed from a club going, jet setting youngster to the fascination of gardening and soothing wonders of having my own home. Not only did I break the short timer mold, but broke the record for living in one house, one city and one state! I celebrated my 30th, 40th and 50th birthdays in Texas just living life and realize how quickly this time has past when the winds of change blow in.
Certain circumstances require that I vacate the great state of Texas and am relocating with the Continental/United merger to the companies new headquarters in Chicago Il. It's taking a team of wild horses named Dollar and Buck to drag me out of here, but in the end Dollar and Buck are very persuasive!
I've kept my foot stuck in the door however, I did not sell my house and have rented it with intent to return, and will still be on DG now and then, but wanted to say so long to Texas DG foks for introducing me to Round ups, Plant Swaps, and some very memorable times!
Last day April 18th. So Long!
Thanks Rita for giving plants a home, Jerrys Jungle and Zone9tropicals
Rj

Great Memories!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/882237/

amanda, AuntAnne, BigBubbles (Sandi), Blueeyes, Bluesmaven, Bookworm28, Broncbuster, Bubba (Bill & Linda Grasser), bigcityal, BriarRose, Carter, Carol (smockette) Cathy, CAT, LouC Christi, Connie, crowellli, Dawintx, Dstartz, Dmj1218, Debness, Debbie, Debi, Digigirl, Don, Dianesjungle, Erin, fancyflea, Flowerette, Gail, Gymgirl,, Janet, IloveJesus99, Jana , Jaye, Jeanne (TexasGal77) Jeff (JLD_III),Jenny, Jeremy, Joey, Frostweed(Josephine), Kristi Nolan, Karen, KARLAE , Kip, Ladyborg, Lisa, Lily_love, Louise, Madrid2000, ,Mamajack, manicreality, marilyn_tx, Marilyn, Mibus2, Mitch, Moodene Nadine, Patty, PainterAllyn, Pagancat, patrob, Pbtxlady, Posie4U, Plantnuga, Prita (Rita), podster, Pyewacketcat54, Robin, Ron C, Shari, Sharon, Sheila_FW, Shortstuff430, Sidney, Sweezil, trackinsand, trois, Valerie, vossner,

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9083927

We will miss you, your great advice and your beautiful gardens RJ.
Take care and be back soon.
Josephine.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9083991

Come back to visit and hurry back soon ~ Rj
Wishing you a wealth of friends and new gardening interests in the future.
Take care... Kristi

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9084106

Take care and don't let Chi town get to ya, there are a lot of delightful hideaways in the state of Illinois too, -just avoid open spaces -they get Windy.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9084139

A new ZONE to explore!! You can grow a whole new crop of things that don't like TX heat! Good Luck! Hope you find some good BBQ... Janet
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9084460

My first RU ever was at your lovely garden and it was the best! You will love Chicago, I'm sure. You'll make so many new friends and can still keep the old ones. Good that you've found great caregivers for your plants. I know it must have been hard to part with them. Adios, Sandi
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9084883

I moved back to Houston in 2006 and never had the pleasure of an RU at your home but everyone I meet tells stories of those "good ole days". Come back soon. Marty
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9087010

Xo!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9087811

You are doing almost the backwards of me! I'm from Chicago, moved to Texas. Enjoy for great food in Chicago--I miss the food!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9090716

Randy, I hope you are spending some time at the Garfield Park Conservatory, looks like your kind of place.

http://www.mikenowak.net/DigIn.htm

msgrubbyfungus
North Richland Hills, TX

April 22, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9092564

Hi, the first line of your post made me laugh as we are having a similar experience (DFW was only supposed to be a three year gig and we're moving into year eight). Good luck in Chicago, if you get a chance for a long weekend I suggest heading over to Eastern Wisconsin -- it's beautiful. I think the others will agree, this isn't goodbye, it's just "see ya later".

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9171993

I just saw this Rj! Good luck in Chicago! I hope you find a bunch of new kinds of plants there to occupy your heart and soul.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9172093

... and Kell ~ where have you been hiding? I hadn't noticed you posting on the C&S forum lately and hoped you were all right.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9172299

Thanks for noticing, Podster! I am fine, I guess I haven't had much to say. I do check in now and again to see all the great photos of everyone's gardens. Hope you are doing great!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9172324

Ah good... all's well on this end too, thanks.

Here's hoping RJ gets settled in and has a chance to check back in soon.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9172559

Yes, glad to hear you are doing OK, Kell. I do miss hearing more from "the Cal Gals" =).

rjuddharrison is probably discovering all the great places to eat in Chicago! My cousin works for an airline (probably the same one). She's been with them in all their permutations all her adult working life. They just moved here from St Louis (where she's been for over 15 years) to California. She sold up and moved and now they want to move her back to St Louis! Sigh.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9172740

Boy ~ I am a creature of habit and would hate that. It takes a special kind of person to be flexible and agreeable for a job. lol
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9172768

I don't think she is agreeable any more. She's just hanging on 'till retirement at this point.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9172966

That I understand... and I'd be hoping my last location would be where I wanted to end up for retirement also.
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9175120

Randy, don't know why I'm just seeing this, but I hope you love your new home! And yeah, a part of me hopes it's never "home" and you'll be able to rejoin us sometime in the future. :) I don't know if you remember, but you gave me a gorgeous Dr. Seuss brug a few years ago. It was the first one I ever had that bloomed. I've added others since then, but I still think of you whenever Dr. Seuss blooms. Hurry back!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9176061

I'm making the best of it, but the best description is...a cat having a bath!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9176224

I think all the California girls are busy in their gardens right now Terri. Thanks for missing us!

Sorry to hear that Rj. What I see in the news about Chicago is not good. How are the gardens?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9178712

good luck and godspeed in your new place and please don't be a stranger to dg! i know you'll have lots to do to settle in right and proper but until then...a new adventure awaits.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America